• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Car Game's official name is WRECKFEST

Wreckfest%2525202015-07-02%25252014-11-12-79.jpg

a7H6Z1g.png

lol

Vintage

So to recap people are panicking because they took long time to update and when they finally did the game looks worse? Seems consistent with the fact that they moved the game to a new engine, no?

From update notes:
reworked Sandpit track to give you a glimpse of the level of quality and realism we're striving for with our next-generation environments.
I was expecting to see something better than this.

Graphics aside, the new driving physics model is absolutely not fun. Cars have no power, no speed, collisions' impact and damage is minimal.

My expectations were very high, so it's perfectly normal that I'm worried.

Why did they change the engine?

They use physical based rendering now. No idea why they changed physics model.

cyba89

So to recap people are panicking because they took long time to update and when they finally did the game looks worse? Seems consistent with the fact that they moved the game to a new engine, no?

The driving physics are also different (=not fun) now. People expected and wanted a FlatOut like arcade-style game and now this is going more down the realism route.

I learned my lesson from this. From now on I will only buy Early Access when it's a cheap game like Besiege.

ArjanN

Seems like a bit of an overreaction considering they just switched engines and it's probably more of a work-in-progress thing.

Almost every non-EA game looks like shit until 3 months before release as well, you just never see it.

Accoun

The driving physics are also different (=not fun) now. People expected and wanted a FlatOut like arcade-style game and now this is going more down the realism route.

So is it just more realistic, like FlatOut 1 (IIRC it was less arcadey than the later ones)? Or did they go even further down the road? Because I totally preferred the first one.
Disclaimer: I haven't played either in years. Talking from memory.

Hakkelus

So is it just more realistic, like FlatOut 1 (IIRC it was less arcadey than the later ones)? Or did they go even further down the road? Because I totally preferred the first one.

Me too. I think it's still the best "realistic" handling that could be played with a gamepad.

bee

the 3 hotfixes in the past few days certainly helped, damage is now back to normal, car handling whilst using a pad is the best it's ever been imo and performance is even better now, well for me at least. the lighting certainly needs some work but sweetfx is helping in that area for now

Komo

Banned
Disclaimer: I haven't played either in years. Talking from memory.

It's kind of like FlatOut, but without the fun part

Hotfix
DAMAGE IS BACK ON TRACK!

We're happy to let you know that the latest hotfix for Wreckfest is now out, giving much needed love to our damage system and making it more brutal than ever before in both single player and multiplayer. The update also improves CPU performance and features a nifty workaround for those having issues running the x64 build. Needless to say, we've also put in a host of other minor fixes, details below.

Please find the changelog here:
Improved visual damage precision and increased deform strength.
Implemented multi-core physics optimizations and other performance improvements.
Implemented a temporary x64 build workaround for certain GPUs.
Re-enabled automatic controller detection.
Fixed positive wheel steering sensitivity curve.
NOTE! Positive steering sensitivity values now have a higher effect.
Improved brakes and increased handbrake torque (again).
Last Man Standing now ends if second to last car is eliminated by contact timer.
Fixed replay mode's glitched 4x fast-forward.
Implemented various spectator HUD fixes.
Tentative fix for multiple copies of a player joining a lobby after a crash.
Enabled wheel release for vehicle damage.
Added dedicated limited slip differentials for each vehicle.
Improved suspension setups of all vehicles.
Tweaked gamepad controller slightly.
Improved vehicle cameras.
Fixed contact audio with various objects.
Added new paint jobs for Euro Coupe 2 and American Muscle 3.
Fixed missing surface collisions on Tarmac 1.
Improved collision of sand mining equipment found on Sandpit 2.
Vehicle props on Sandpit 1 no longer cause massive damage and move around.
Improved default reference weather.

Thanks for your support and happy wrecking!

DX11
Performance is a lot better but there's still a ton of stuttering, even with vsync off/gsync on

Car damage is still goofy as all hell. In case it's not obvious in the first screen shot I'm still going with an entire wheel missing

derFeef

it looks a bit nicer and performance is a liiitle bit better. Hopefully they can keep up the pace of updates and keep improving. Most important part to me is the stages, they all look very bland and boring so far.

No official patch notes, but I found this:

* First implementation of career mode - you start wuth a 850CC European Coupe & $1000
* Cars now have parts (Engine, exhaust, manifold, fuel, brakes, suspension, tyres etc)
* There is a market where you can buy parts in various states (Nearly new, used etc)
* Parts degrade, especially if you bump & grind, which, as you might expect, you do quite a lot in this game :)
* Repair icon is there for parts, but greyed out, not implemented yet
* You can buy new cars in the market too
* New tracks, 2 sandpit tracks, maybe more. Big tracks!
* Car seems to roll with very little provocation in this update, may be down to stock suspension, but it makes competing tough
* Lawnmower racing!! Lots of bodies flying around, jammed under wheels, hehehe.
* Making money could be tricky, although I did just get $650 for coming first in a lawnmower destruction derby
* Haven't looked at MP yet, lobby options look the same
https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/3th2aq/latest_update_of_wreckfest_has_dropped_24gb/

c0Zm1c

It's really just content and polish that's lacking now. I know a lot of you view it as an irredeemable disaster given the ups and downs its had, mainly because of the engine switch, but that's not really the case and what is there now is a pretty solid racer. The game is a blast in multiplayer.

I need this game in my PS4 immediately!

Wreckfest is the perfect name. I can see my gaming buddies who only play COD & Madden saying "Dude, you gonna get Wreckfest?!"

Damn, I want to play this!

Apparently the bankrupcy was filled by a creditor. I saw this in the official forums:

Also someone stated that it's fucked up that a debtor can initiate a bankruptcy. Well yeah, it is. Welcome to Finland. We try to do our best to fuck businesses in the ass. This is a hostile place to start and run a company as far as laws and legislation are concerned. A bankruptcy can be initiated basically by anyone with a proof that the company does not have means to pay what they owe. It might be 10€, 1000€ or 100k€, who knows

That's fucked up. I hope Bugbear is doing fine though

TJP

Seems there's life left in BugBear...

We're back with a bang and you read it right: the latest update to Wreckfest adds an official vehicle modding support for both single and multiplayer, something that obviously many of you have requested to make Wreckfest an even more thrilling, unique experience. A recipe for awesomeness!

We're providing you all the tools you need to export your vehicle model from Autodesk 3ds Max and then set it up correctly. The provided TGA to BMAP texture compiler can be used for other modding purposes as well, not just for vehicles. Be aware that since this is the first time ever that mods are officially support by the game it's very likely that there will be quite a few hiccups along the way to make Wreckfest a robust platform for modding. Please also note that many things will still change and there is no guarantee that your mod will not break in a future update (or every update!).

To create a new mod first you should create a new folder under 'mods' that will contain your mod data. You can name the folder as you wish; for example 'mods/MikesPowerMod', 'mods/SamsVehiclePack', and so on are all valid names. You can create as many mod folders as you wish, so it's definitely a good idea to create an own folder for each mod. The mod folders should have the same structure as the game's main data folder (so first subfolder will be 'data'), but only contain edited or new files. After you've created your mod car, you can enable it in the in-game mod manager found in the garage and the car will appear in the in-game marketplace (price can be set to 0).

More instructions can be found in the game's 'tools' folder.

Things to note:
  • Provided tools allow exporting car models from 3ds Max and converting them to the game's format.
  • TGA to BMAP texture compiler is also provided for texture modding.
  • Use the included BagEdit editor to modify car's parts and parameters and create completely new parts like custom engines and gearboxes.
  • An example Wwise project and a guide for creating your own vehicle sounds can be found in tools/wreckfest_vehicle_audio_tools.zip.
  • Mod cars give no rewards and are not allowed on the leaderboards.
  • You should not edit stuff inside the game's original 'data' folder, rather copy the files you want to edit to your mod folder.
  • Multiplayer requires that server and clients have the same mods enabled (though some things like car skins are excluded as before).
  • Dedicated server can also require mods by configuring mods=some_mod,other_mod.

Other changes and new stuff in the update:
  • Parts no longer wear in multiplayer. As a consequence, multiplayer gives no crew experience and much less money reward.
  • Multiplayer now offers "rental cars" which cost nothing but also give no rewards at all.
  • You can now view server's welcome message before joining, in the server browser. Feel free to list your required mods there.
  • You can now bring your favorite car to the front of the list by clicking the star icon.
  • Added lobby context menu options to show Steam profile page and open Steam chat for selected player.
  • Fixed Asian 1 shadow.
  • Fixed derby scoring sometimes stopping.
  • Fixed incorrectly set aero drag/torque.

As always, thanks for sticking with us!

Mabufu

Banned
I wish Bugbear had the budget to fully develop this game sometime this century.

I had lots of great laughts but since the game is evolving so slow, and since we cant buy servers, me and my friends lost a lot of interest.

Will keep an eye at this tho.

TJP

Latest update news: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/next-car-game-wreckfest-update-released.123257/

Change log:
Added a new track Sandpit 3 with two layouts (short and long) in both normal and reverse variants.
Added a new Figure 8 layout for Speedway 2.
Implemented the basics of the new damage system.
Health bars are now displayed in the HUD.
The vehicle with more speed and mass now has more advantage in collisions, paving way for a more tactical gameplay.
Improved Sandpit 2 and Mixed 1 level art.
Fixed Sandpit 2 checkpoints.
Improved AI racing line in a number of tracks.
Improved AI start/racing logic.
Reduced AI aggression towards the player.
It’s now slightly more difficult to bump the AI off the track.
Improved clutter loading speed.
Improved gamepad controller.
Improved reflection and vehicle paint shader.
Fixed a bug with the game being unable to start if more than ten mods have been enabled at some point.
Weathers are now scanned similar to tracks, vehicles and parts, so multiple weather mods can co-exist.
BagEditor now shows files under Art folder too.

TJP

May update for those who missed it:

Changelog below:
Added the 3Ds Max AI Geom Gen tool which was missing from previous update.
Added missing track cameras to Mixed 1 Reverse.
Fixed see-through track geometry and improperly placed props on Mixed 2 Reverse.
Added PSD templates for menu assets (event icon, loading screen, results screen, car icon) under mod example folders.
Increased racing AI aggressiveness: AI is now more inclined to try to ram the player or the other AI drivers if given a chance.
Improved racing AI: it’s now faster and drives more loose to give it a more natural edge.
Racing AI now reacts to being bumped or rammed by possibly losing control and/or spinning out.
Added graphics setting presets Low, Medium, High and Ultra (Settings > Graphics > Presets).
Added command line option ‘-disable_mods’ to make troubleshooting easier in case mods are preventing the game from launching properly.

Tailzo

This game loooks like a lot of fun, but if there is still problems with stuttering, I won't take the chance to buy it. I only have a GTX 970.

c0Zm1c

I'll try out the new build once I'm home from travelling, but I doubt it's ever going to get finished TBH.

If there are people able and willing to work on and improve the game then I see it getting finished eventually - it's never too late if that is the case. That they intend to increase the size of the team working on it is also a good sign. I wonder who the partner is.

If there are people able and willing to work on and improve the game then I see it getting finished eventually - it's never too late if that is the case. That they intend to increase the size of the team working on it is also a good sign. I wonder who the partner is.
They seemed vague (i.e. who's investing, how many people are they hiring, have they hired anyone already, etc.), which makes me think they are just plans.

Anyway, I hope it works out. I've put at least 100 hours into it and enjoy it a lot. However, the updates over the last year have generally felt like things were moving backwards. Definitely some weird physics and performance issues were introduced (at least IME).

New update out and positive statement about the future of the game: http://steamcommunity.com/games/228380/announcements/detail/512680519553829490
Cool. Things have felt more than uncertain for the past year or so. Good to hear they've found a partner. Maybe it'll actually get finished next year.

Maybe they can also afford to give their cars and tracks actual names now. Why they give them such boring, generic, indistinguishable, impersonal titles is a mystery to me. They've nicknamed a new version of American 2, Rammer. So that's a good sign.

This game runs really good now. Before framerate would constantly shift but not its rock solid. Playing at 4k 30fps or 2k at 60fps on a 970 and i56600k

Man, I forgot all about this game. Haven't touched it since it was featured on giant bomb. Looks like drama occurred but is the game even feature complete yet? I see graphics downgrade concerns.

Top Bottom