• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabaus

Banned
PS5 reveal timeline is "comparable to the past", says Sony.

As i said before, That was what i heard about the PS5 reveal timeline a while back and my statement about the February reveal was based on this. The February reveal was the plan for sure but so much things got complicated recently my friends.

Coravirus or something else? Thanks.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There are other factors, but the chief one that dispels that Sony is 9TF is that MS has never delivered a more powerful console over Sony launching in the same year......Sony is a hardware company, they deal with these companies day in and day out and have special arrangements with many of these companies and have a long history with many of these companies, in even supplying them with hardware components themselves.......We are talking computers, phones, cameras, you name it.....They have a better grip in the hardware industry than MS...and also with console hardware......No company has brought more up to date features and hardware components in a console than Sony has day and date....
Sure they did. 360 came out a year earlier and games looked better, had better frame rates and many third party games even had better res.

you also ignored the 120/240 FPS part.

but that’s ok, selective responding.

XinTniX

Neo Member
Does anyone here know if some of those technologies mentioned by the Sony's engineer on twitter (just after the 12 TFs was announced) is present on the Power VR imagination RT proprietary solution?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

ethomaz

Banned
So?

You continue confusing.

MS choose a big tower layout due the cooling issues.

A typical Mini-ITX case:

4e083e186ba76c06ae012b148260a4bc

Just because the link you posted the company choose to make it in the size of Xbox Series X doesn't mean it is not a PC tower lol
MS clearly choose a big PC tower layout due having cooling issues with the chip.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I would say this is entirely possible but dont expect the retail consoles to match. 12 yes maybe but 13 is highly unlikely unless it's even more expensive than XsX which everyone is already questioning.
There's no need to be 13. If they're 12 tf it would completely take wind out of MS' sails after how much focus they put on that

No no, let them cling to it, it will make the meltdowns more glorious.

For real?

So we have an actual dev, BGs BGs telling us that if Xbox is 12 (and it's is +-0.4 tflops for rounding) then PS5 isn't 9.2

That's direct from source comment, not second or third hand, no ambiguity, it's blunt and to the point. No margin of error.

Wise up flat Earthers.
We had a much more accurate info than that some pages back. But it went completely unnoticed.

Disco_

I can post takes on GitHub too

Liabe Brave said:
Yes, I very much expect this. Indeed, it even affects my thoughts about nextgen in general. The recent GitHub leak of testing notes were for what is surely PS5 APU hardware running in three modes: 18 CU at 800 MHz, 36 CU at 911 Mhz, and 36 CU at 2.0 GHz.The first mode corresponds exactly to PS4, and the second mode exactly to PS4 Pro, which is why we know this is PS5 hardware. The third mode is referred to as "native" or "full chip", so many have assumed this is the complete capability of PS5. They're thus disappointed because twice the Pro power--plus architectural improvements--is lower than often hoped or rumored.

However, my thinking is that the PS5 OS will feature a "Boost Mode" setting, like Pro does. This makes sense to me because of simple precedent, but also because PS5 will have backwards compatibility so there's even more of a use case. Without user-selectable Boost Mode, either PS5 would play PS4 games worse than PS4 Pro does, which would be pretty weird. Or it'd play them better automatically, which also doesn't fit Sony's recent MO. They seem institutionally concerned with ensuring good compatibility, which is why Boost Mode wasn't there to begin with, and why it's still optional with a warning message, even though almost no games react poorly.

On Pro, the boost is achieved by running 18 CUs at 911 MHz; that is, deactivating CUs to match the target platform, but leaving the clocks native. It doesn't seem likely to me that PS5 will completely ignore Pro-enhanced titles, though. They can have dynamic resolutions or unstable framerates too, so why wouldn't you boost them as well? To do that, you'd again deactivate CUs to match the target platform, but leave the clocks native. With the target being Pro, that could mean 36 CU at 2.0 GHz. Just like the Pro's 18 CUs at 911 MHz, this isn't the true physical setup of the GPU, but chosen for compatibility.

This leaves the physical setup or maximum capability of the PS5 APU unknown, just as we wouldn't know the full size and power of Pro's GPU if all we looked at was its BC modes. Pro is actually twice as powerful as its "full" compatibility mode. There are various other reasons why PS5 almost certainly is not. But again, I think merely looking at how Boost Mode works, and likely will work, we can see that there's a gap in our knowledge.

_

This makes the most sense to me.
After Matt confirmed enhanced BC for ps5, this makes more sense than it did at time of writing.

So?

You continue confusing.

yes but the dimensions are the same as mini itx case(edit: not all mini itx cases are as small as the one in your picture there are also some that are cubes), not a mid tower nor a full tower which are larger. The microsoft case has better cooling than traditional console design, but it is not a mid nor full tower.

Last edited:
Does anyone here know if some of those technologies mentioned by the Sony's engineer on twitter (just after the 12 TFs was announced) is present on the Power VR imagination RT proprietary solution?

You can dig around here:

https://docs.imgtec.com/

https://cdn2.imgtec.com/whitepapers/powervr/ray-tracing/powervr-shining-a-light-on-ray-tracing.pdf

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I must admit I was unfairly critical of BC in the past.

Take the below image for example.

images

If they can clean the image, detect and replace textures such as grass or even the leaves/bark on the tree along with skyrocketing the framerate and resolution, maybe even throwing in some RT then that would truely be a game changer.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I can post takes on GitHub too

Liabe Brave said:
Yes, I very much expect this. Indeed, it even affects my thoughts about nextgen in general. The recent GitHub leak of testing notes were for what is surely PS5 APU hardware running in three modes: 18 CU at 800 MHz, 36 CU at 911 Mhz, and 36 CU at 2.0 GHz.The first mode corresponds exactly to PS4, and the second mode exactly to PS4 Pro, which is why we know this is PS5 hardware. The third mode is referred to as "native" or "full chip", so many have assumed this is the complete capability of PS5. They're thus disappointed because twice the Pro power--plus architectural improvements--is lower than often hoped or rumored.

However, my thinking is that the PS5 OS will feature a "Boost Mode" setting, like Pro does. This makes sense to me because of simple precedent, but also because PS5 will have backwards compatibility so there's even more of a use case. Without user-selectable Boost Mode, either PS5 would play PS4 games worse than PS4 Pro does, which would be pretty weird. Or it'd play them better automatically, which also doesn't fit Sony's recent MO. They seem institutionally concerned with ensuring good compatibility, which is why Boost Mode wasn't there to begin with, and why it's still optional with a warning message, even though almost no games react poorly.

On Pro, the boost is achieved by running 18 CUs at 911 MHz; that is, deactivating CUs to match the target platform, but leaving the clocks native. It doesn't seem likely to me that PS5 will completely ignore Pro-enhanced titles, though. They can have dynamic resolutions or unstable framerates too, so why wouldn't you boost them as well? To do that, you'd again deactivate CUs to match the target platform, but leave the clocks native. With the target being Pro, that could mean 36 CU at 2.0 GHz. Just like the Pro's 18 CUs at 911 MHz, this isn't the true physical setup of the GPU, but chosen for compatibility.

This leaves the physical setup or maximum capability of the PS5 APU unknown, just as we wouldn't know the full size and power of Pro's GPU if all we looked at was its BC modes. Pro is actually twice as powerful as its "full" compatibility mode. There are various other reasons why PS5 almost certainly is not. But again, I think merely looking at how Boost Mode works, and likely will work, we can see that there's a gap in our knowledge.

_

This makes the most sense to me.
That post you quoted looks way like the post a did months ago that the other forum shameless copied...

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

So?

You continue confusing.

A typical Mini-ITX case:

4e083e186ba76c06ae012b148260a4bc

Just because the link you posted the company choose to make it in the size of Xbox Series X doesn't mean it is not a PC tower lol

It really isn't a 'big tower' though. That NZXT case linked above is a ITX case that is twice the volume of Series X if the rumoured 30 x 15 x 15 size is accurate.

Hell the Series X would be smaller in volume than OG Xbox One. Just because Microsoft have gone with an upright console design versus a horizontal one doesn't mean it is humongous in size.

I'm more worried about the layout and thermals given its small size versus confirmed specs!

Fun Fanboy

Banned
Holy shit Sony please just release specs. We are just reiterating the same shit here everyday
Better than era at least. They're talking about walnuts and stupid ass shit these days. That mod over there took that thread over and turned it into furries land or something. At least here people are still battling it out on specs and what they think is what. And not making the cheesey ass avatar bets on a PS5 spec release day in Feb that will never happen.

ethomaz

Banned
It really isn't a 'big tower' though. That NZXT case linked above is a ITX case that is twice the volume of Series X if the rumoured 30 x 15 x 15 size is accurate.

Hell the Series X would be smaller in volume than OG Xbox One. Just because Microsoft have gone with an upright console design versus a horizontal one doesn't mean it is humongous in size.

I'm more worried about the layout and thermals given its small size versus confirmed specs!
Deepening which estimate ou are getting.
There are a lot of estimates based in the USB port size... the smaller is a bit smaller than OG Xbox One while the others are a bit bigger than OG Xbox One.

In any case it is close to 60% bigger than OG PS4.

You have only two console definitively bigger than that tower... PS3 and OG Xbox... but hey these were huge machines and heavy criticized due the size.

It is a big PC tower.

Last edited:
I must admit I was unfairly critical of BC in the past.

Take the below image for example.

images

If they can clean the image, detect and replace textures such as grass or even the leaves/bark on the tree along with skyrocketing the framerate and resolution, maybe even throwing in some RT then that would truely be a game changer.

Not sure how soon it'll be possible, but one may imagine Neural network upscaling as seen on max payne, ffvii, etc could eventually happen in realtime for all games.

• Fire
Reactions: TLZ

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
From what I can tell, the XSX is ~3.5% larger in volume than the Xbox One phat.

I was looking for pictures of XSX case made of cake and this popped up on the results...
UekbRB3.jpg

That looks sexy in vertical position. I would have thought the usb port would have been on the bottom, so maybe it's upside down looking at it in the horizontal position? Looks nice either way.

saintjules

Like this guy. telling it straight.

Is PS5 Feb announce cancelled ??

If we're to believe pastebins, there was one that mentioned at tomorrow 2PM PST Sony would announce the date for the reveal. That's probably the only thing left for this month.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Jesus people please don’t go back to the console size again, that’s bloody daft. It’s not a big console at all, it’s just an odd form factor for a console because you’re not used to it, and I get that’s a shock to some. Just stick it on it’s side like most people will do and move on. You don’t even know what the ps5 will look like, and while it won’t be the same as the dev kit, I can’t imagine it being this right small thing, because that would mean it would be slower, hotter or more expensive.

For me, personally, I like the SX design, it’s grown on me. Though I’m lucky I can fit it in my entertainment unit without any issue. The one that DID cause issues was the switch, because that is not only tall but it needs double clearance on top to take the switch out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There are a lot of estimates based in the USB port size... the smaller is a bit smaller than OG Xbox One while the others are a bit bigger than OG Xbox One.

You have only two console definitively bigger than that tower... PS3 and OG Xbox... but hey these were huge machines and heavy criticized due the size.

It is a big PC tower.
Ok we get it ethomaz. You don’t like that SeX is 12tf RDNA 2 while Sony is still secret, so your latest bashing is now plastic shell size where the Xbox case is classified as a full sized PC tower case.

where have you been the past 3 years where PS4 Pro shell is gigantic vs X?

hey aren’t you one of the big supporters of sales data?

haven’t seen you in any Dreams threads talking about sales the past week.

lol

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Ok we get it ethomaz. You don’t like that SeX is 12tf RDNA 2 while Sony is still secret, so your latest bashing is now plastic shell size where the Xbox case is classified as a full sized PC tower case.

hey aren’t you one of the big supporters of sales data?

haven’t seen you in any Dreams threads talking about sales the past week.

lol
I was asked about... I never started the discussion lol
I have no issue with Xbox One Series X being what it is... actually it is where most insiders said it is... around 12TFs... that menas for now most insiders are right.
I did never gone against the 12TFs leaks (I indeed expected more before RDNA reveal but it was for the whole next-gen not only PS5 or Xbox One Series X).

I posted in the Dreams thread about the inaccurate of the data in the first page lol

But why do you are moving the goal post?

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Sure they did. 360 came out a year earlier and games looked better, had better frame rates and many third party games even had better res.

you also ignored the 120/240 FPS part.

but that’s ok, selective responding.
Didn't see any 120Hz/240Hz when I quoted you, so you edited and you blame me...….Arguing in good faith and all that....

Anyway, Super Stardust did 720p 120Hz or rather 1080p 60Hz each eye no? Besides Ken never said PS3 would do 120Hz games, when there were not even 120Hz TV's on shelves at that time......He only said the hardware could do it and he was right, he most probably had access to technology/tv/hardware and tools (since he was an engineer at Sony) and knew it could do it...…..The PS Eye-Camera also did 120fps......Okami rendered around 4k internally on the PS3 and...yes there were a number of 1080p games on PS3, even 1080p 60fps....

THE:MILKMAN

It is a big PC tower.

Yeah PS3 and OG Xbox One are the biggest consoles so far but again they aren't in themselves 'huge' IMO. My Marantz CD player is far bigger by volume than either but no one would claim or complain it is huge.

It just triggers me when a lot of people describe the Series X as a huge massive behemoth never seen before when really it is just a design departure for consoles.

Saying all that if I was to get a Series X I'd have to make a custom stand for it go alongside my current AV unit as it won't fit in the correct (IMO!) vertical orientation. It looks all kinds of wrong in horizontal....

Fun Fanboy

Banned
From what I can tell, the XSX is ~3.5% larger in volume than the Xbox One phat.

I was looking for pictures of XSX case made of cake and this popped up on the results...
UekbRB3.jpg

That looks sexy in vertical position. I would have thought the usb port would have been on the bottom, so maybe it's upside down looking at it in the horizontal position? Looks nice either way.
Xbox Pope makes excellent looking designs. Always

Kusarigama

Thought for the day(especially for the folks that think Sony is scared):

Damage control is needed, when there's damage done.

Like when MS did those DF/Eurogamer interviews for XBO before the launch.

Disco_

Xbox Series X is a massiva PC tower format due cooling lol
What's massive about it? It's just big enough to fit a 140mm fan horizontally. Nothing screams "excessive cooling solution" like a single, slow spinning, near silent 140mm fan.
You might be overthinking what is probably a smart, and more economical design vs stuffing and jigsawing pieces together into a console form factor.

ethomaz

Banned
What's massive about it? It's just big enough to fit a 140mm fan horizontally. Nothing screams "excessive cooling solution" like a single, slow spinning, near silent 140mm fan.
You might be overthinking what is probably a smart, and more economical design vs stuffing and jigsawing pieces together into a console form factor.
The size is massive lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s Wednesday Feb 26.

Ok Feb reveal insiders, you got till Saturday to be true. As a lucky bonus, this year is even Leap Year so you got an extra day.

Still waiting for attendees to say “We got invites for Feb!”

ethomaz

Banned
It’s Wednesday Feb 26.

Ok Feb reveal insiders, you got till Saturday to be true. As a lucky bonus, this year is even Leap Year so you got an extra day.

Still waiting for attendees to say “We got invites for Feb!”
There is no reveal event in February... forget about that... Corona virus already made it sure it won't exists.
It is more probably actual scheduled events like PAX being canceled or being attended only by US companies.

Even the Olympic games have chance to be delayed.

Now you need to wait the situation stabilize for good to have a console reveal event.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom