• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbydeath

Anyone heard about this? Got this from pastebin but the post was deleted

ERvdi_oXkAErWos

Bo_Hazem

Banned
How possible is PS5 hardware BC the PS3
Maybe he was criticizing DXR? Maybe both? Or maybe the tweet was a snarky remark aimed at MS marketing "DirectX RT" and "patented VRS"? :messenger_tongue:

Yup, I think that. Sony will not use DXR, I believe. Probably they have a better solution, just like how Vulkan seems to be superior to DirectX 12 at the moment.

Koopatrol

There’s an emulator on PC made by a third party called RPCS3, so it is possible.

If some dudes can reverse engineer a PS3 emulator to work on a PS4 Pro, I think there's a good chance Sony could at least get some PS3 games running on the PS5.

They didn’t mention March 3rd? Did I miss it ?

At 1:10:48, it sounds like Rorie says, "When's that event supposed to happen, the 3rd?" He never says March, but it's inferred.

Last edited:

lynux3

I’m not hearing anything about March 3rd.
They didn’t mention March 3rd? Did I miss it ?
He says "the 3rd" after asking when the event is supposed to be briefly before getting interrupted. You have to listen kinda closely in order to hear it. *shrug* I actually had to listen to it twice because I missed it the first time myself.

Last edited:
He says "the 3rd" after asking when the event is supposed to be briefly before getting interrupted. You have to listen kinda closely in order to hear it. *shrug* I actually had to listen to it twice because I missed it the first time myself.
I heard it . Thanks

From what I can tell, the XSX is ~3.5% larger in volume than the Xbox One phat.

I was looking for pictures of XSX case made of cake and this popped up on the results...
UekbRB3.jpg

That looks sexy in vertical position. I would have thought the usb port would have been on the bottom, so maybe it's upside down looking at it in the horizontal position? Looks nice either way.
I think it looks sexy AF. I hope to score one of these limited edition variants for myself. My 2 sons that like Xbox will get Lockhart 🤣😭🤣

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yup, knew that. I meant is it even possible to BC in a hardware level? Seems challenging though.
I can't it find now but Shuhei Yoshida said in an interview when asked about PS3 BC for PS4 that it would be very difficult but not impossible and not something they're looking into right now.
So they must of tried but PS4 simply didn't have the power.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I can't it find now but Shuhei Yoshida said in an interview when asked about PS3 BC for PS4 that it would be very difficult but not impossible and not something they're looking into right now.
So they must of tried but PS4 simply didn't have the power.

That's great, then full BC all the way to PS1 and probably PSP and PS Vita is possible. Although I won't touch that feature but it's great for many others. I'm all about new games🙏

The only issue I would say would pop up with Sony doing an outside raytracing...

1. It would add unneeded costs.
2. They would still have to get the solution integrated into AMD architecture.

The take that I got from the engineers words were ahh so its rdna 2.0? Can it do this rdna 2.0 feature I obviously wink wink know about? What about this rdna 2.0 feature that I also know about?

Seemed to be a subtle hint at yeah we know about rdna 2.0 and all of its features we are already using.

Who knows, maybe they went with a custom hardware solution. My personal take is the difference will be in software implementation.

I guess we shall see.

IkarugaDE

Sony is planning something.

2020030864.jpg

Translation:
Publication number 2020030864
Publication Type Published Patent Publication (A)
Release date 20200227
Application No. 2019214340
Applicant Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.
Main classification G06T 19/20 20110101AFI20200131BHJP (calculation; counting)
Abstract: To provide an image processing apparatus capable of providing a realistic lighting effect when a virtual object is synthesized with a landscape image representing a scene of a real space.
A distance image including information indicating a distance to a subject in a real space, and for each of one or a plurality of regions in the distance image, a distance to a subject portion shown in the region, An image processing apparatus that obtains a distance image including information on a color component of the subject portion and generates a composite image in which a virtual object is arranged on a landscape image representing a scene of a real space; The image processing apparatus determines a display color of a virtual object based on a distance to a subject portion and a color component.

The composite image generation unit determines a display color of the virtual object based on a distance to the subject portion in the distance image and a color component.
An image processing apparatus characterized by the above-mentioned.
The present invention relates to an image processing apparatus, an image processing method, a program, and an information storage medium for generating an image obtained by combining a virtual object with a captured image of a camera.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Guys I‘ve just had an awful terrible thought.

All this time I’ve been reporting that PS5 is targeting 10.5-11.5 to fall upon and yet people are still posting this strange rumour about 13, nearly 14, which would be utterly insane for what I assume will be the same price (bom) and keeping a traditional form factor...

But erm... And this is just me, Using what I’ve been told and making a new conclusion...

What if that 13ish tf is gcn...?

Because I know it’s not 9.X, that was ditched ages ago. But a target range of 10.5-11.5 rdna is... 13.125 - 14.375. Meaning if they hit a middle of the road target of 11, they will essentially be on about... 13.75.

That’s way too close to that rumour of 13.8 for my liking...

So erm...

No, it can’t be that, it can’t be that simple... no way...

I’m still very much in the target range of 10.5-11.5 for myself, based on what I’ve been told. But... I can’t help but look at the above and go “well fuck me if that doesn’t add up” 🤯🤯🤯

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Also I wouldn't expect region locked games to work, but then again that probably explains why SE registered Parasite Eve in the EU as it was never released here.
Maybe?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Sony is planning something.

2020030864.jpg

Translation:
Publication number 2020030864
Publication Type Published Patent Publication (A)
Release date 20200227
Application No. 2019214340
Applicant Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.
Main classification G06T 19/20 20110101AFI20200131BHJP (calculation; counting)
Abstract: To provide an image processing apparatus capable of providing a realistic lighting effect when a virtual object is synthesized with a landscape image representing a scene of a real space.
A distance image including information indicating a distance to a subject in a real space, and for each of one or a plurality of regions in the distance image, a distance to a subject portion shown in the region, An image processing apparatus that obtains a distance image including information on a color component of the subject portion and generates a composite image in which a virtual object is arranged on a landscape image representing a scene of a real space; The image processing apparatus determines a display color of a virtual object based on a distance to a subject portion and a color component.

The composite image generation unit determines a display color of the virtual object based on a distance to the subject portion in the distance image and a color component.
An image processing apparatus characterized by the above-mentioned.
The present invention relates to an image processing apparatus, an image processing method, a program, and an information storage medium for generating an image obtained by combining a virtual object with a captured image of a camera.

this seems to be the exact same thing that Philips hue does or whatever it was called? Lights on the back of the tv that process a basic rgb grid of what’s seen on the tv and create lights based on that colour.

Pretty cool for ambient lighting, and I wish it was cheaper to do!

FeiRR

Banned
Yup, knew that. I meant is it even possible to BC in a hardware level? Seems challenging though.
Emulation of any platform is possible on another platform. If you have very different architectures, it takes roughly 10 times more power (very, very roughly). PS3 was very exotic hardware and will never be hardware emulated because today's consoles don't use the same solutions (I'm still a bit nostalgic about RISC for other reasons than consoles). So I guess PS3 emulation will be possible on PS5 but it will be software. For you it doesn't matter much, however it's more difficult to make 100% exact emulation. For example it's been almost 40 years since C-64 (an 8-bit computer) was released and its emulators on PC aren't still hardware exact, even though they're running hundreds of times faster than the original.

I don't care much about BC but I get it that many people do.

this seems to be the exact same thing that Philips hue does or whatever it was called? Lights on the back of the tv that process a basic rgb grid of what’s seen on the tv and create lights based on that colour.

Pretty cool for ambient lighting, and I wish it was cheaper to do!
You can get a Raspberry Pi and software for like $30 from a Chinese retailer if you want such a gimmick.

Last edited:

Koopatrol

Found on reddit, kinda interesting. Some updates to the PS5 trademark. Not really sure what it means?

Trademark now expires in about a year from today, 2/28/2021:
U4J2ZnM.png

Trademark application accepted by the Office (?) as of 2/27/2020:
2HGbzTO.png

Sources: http://uspto.report/TM/88777749/RFA20200203122723/ and http://uspto.report/TM/88777749/

EDIT: Don't think any of this means anything and I got misunderstood with some of this stuff. It is weird that it expires a year after today, though.

Last edited:

FranXico

All this time I’ve been reporting that PS5 is targeting 10.5-11.5 to fall upon and yet people are still posting this strange rumour about 13, nearly 14, which would be utterly insane for what I assume will be the same price (bom) and keeping a traditional form factor...

But erm... And this is just me, Using what I’ve been told and making a new conclusion...

Because I know it’s not 9.X, that was ditched ages ago. But a target range of 10.5-11.5 rdna is... 13.125 - 14.375. Meaning if they hit a middle of the road target of 11, they will essentially be on about... 13.75.

So erm...

I’m still very much in the target range of 10.5-11.5 for myself, based on what I’ve been told. But... I can’t help but look at the above and go “well fuck me if that doesn’t add up” 🤯🤯🤯
Heh, around 11TF is hardly terrible. 11 would be fine.

So erm...

Well bgs joked and said 13.8 is gcn and rdna is 20% of that (he said not 25% but more like 20%)hinting at 11.5 rdna tf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom