• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ok guys, last message before sleeping as I finally reached the final page:

This is a very entertaining journey I'm having here, and hope all of us feel the same. Fanboyism aside, we teaming up as faithful peasants against the PC master race BS is one of the funniest moments :messenger_tears_of_joy: . Contributing even a little here and there has been a major joy in this irritating time of waiting.

It's been so tough to catch up and reach the last page, tried my best to enjoy the very knowledgeable posts to the hilariously biased ones. Feeling at home already and having 1240+ likes/reactions within my early 16 days, thanks to all of you guys "pie_tears_joy: More than sure I'll wake up and see like 10+ pages and me being clueless about if something major happened.

giphy.gif

Note: Still, I'm not gonna buy an Xbox :messenger_relieved:. I found a Sony touch screen media system that I will put on my Nissan Patrol, and change the speakers to Sony as well. Using Sony phones since 2005 and gonna get Xperia 1ii or 10ii next, having Sony TV and getting another later and should buy Sony alpha camera. And the ultimate fanboy wet dream is owning this::messenger_sunglasses:

SNAP-ad5bbc1a-5ba7-499c-9026-3b7479bd3f54.jpg

nikolino840

I must admit I was unfairly critical of BC in the past.

Take the below image for example.

images

If they can clean the image, detect and replace textures such as grass or even the leaves/bark on the tree along with skyrocketing the framerate and resolution, maybe even throwing in some RT then that would truely be a game changer.
Times ago there was a rumor about bc on ps5 with games enhanced by AI

PaintTinJr

….

...Maybe. I mean, PS4's sold like 110 million and XBO's sold about 50 million. That combined's been 160 million or so, you'd think that would've been good enough for AMD to have really stick it to Nvidia by now but it hasn't happened. Maybe their margins on APU sales were too small; I know their GPU pricing on PC didn't give the margins for profit they wished (part of the reason why they've been pricing their new cards higher than some expected (or would've preferred)). Is that scenario something you might be referring to in your post? Because in that case I can definitely see AMD being a big problem for Nvidia in the PC space given next-gen sales plus better margins on APU sales plus better margins on GPU and CPU sales to customers and OEMs.

I was meaning in the context of 160 million AMD APUs of low tier graphics and low tier CPU not helping AMD much this gen (excluding Pro/OneX) and that Microsoft going big with the latest tech is presumably helping AMD, by driving AMD top tier sales/fab numbers, accelerate AMD's ability to evolve the RDNA 2 chips to remove issues, make them more efficient and more profitable like Nvidia can do now . Better AMD products and amortised improvement cost covered by Microsoft's demand for APUs with top tier graphics could be a new situation for AMD. While at the same time the performance and visuals of the XsX games might place real pressure on Nvidia to justify gamers staying on PC.

I just don't see Nvidia being able to quickly deliver a new high tier product that dwarfs the 12TF RDNA2 XsX to justify PC gamers paying those crazy GPU prices any more. If Nvidia(and Intel with Core i9) are forced to sell a RTX 280 super at sub-console prices and a RTX270 at entry price to keep PC gamers from leaving. If they suffer massive price errossion I see AMD being in front of Nvidia for at least 2years as the top tier PC GPU, and maybe even level with Intel in the desktop space for awhile in the enthusiast tier. I guess the price of the XsX will determine the pressure placed on PC gaming.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's fabulous.

There were others like:

New Tetsujin 28

Astroganger

Grendizer

Voltron (Original)

Haha! Know all of them, but (Tetsujin 28) is EXTREMELY famous, nearly every human being around here know what that is, young and old :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Astroganger never watched it but probably seen it before somewhere.

Grendizer is as big as the first one! One of the most iconic ones.

Voltron is on par as will, one of my favorites. I liked the fire leopard, the red one :)

The new one is pretty good.

Still my favorite

Wow! The new version is so refined. The older one was so clunky. Seems worthy of watching this time around :)

The second one is new to me, never seen it before.

What amazes me is that Japanese cartoons were present in a global scale, didn't expect that. Nearly all of our cartoons were Japanese with some European ones. American ones were mostly the comedic ones like Tom and Jerry and Bugs Bunny and the major titles from Disney. Can't say that old days were better, today we're enjoying the best of all entertainments, but the past has its charm and memories.

Thanks to all of you for the nostalgia 🙌 :messenger_squinting_tongue:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
There is an elephant in the room and that is, the more Sony stays silent after MS's spec flexing yesterday, the more likely it gets that PS5 is simply weaker one.

I know many thing Sony has their own schedule, and they do, but picture is being painted every day that passes and it creates a certain narrative that Sony would like to adrese if it had an answer for question people are looking for

Last week, people used Sony pulling out of PAX and GDC as proof that they were scared of the new Xbox.

Those same Xbox fans making those claims are now silent when more companies started pulling out, too.

First you guys said Sony aimed for a lower price point on pursue and now you guys are claiming they're surprised by the specs and are now running scared. If they knew from the beginning what MS was aiming for, then they shouldn't be scared because it was expected.

sendit

Last week, people used Sony pulling out of PAX and GDC as proof that they were scared of the new Xbox.

Those same Xbox fans making those claims are now silent when more companies started pulling out, too.

First you guys said Sony aimed for a lower price point on pursue and now you guys are claiming they're surprised by the specs and are now running scared. If they knew from the beginning what MS was aiming for, then they shouldn't be scared because it was expected.

Agreed. CDProject pulling out can only mean one thing. They’re in bed with Sony (everyone has a price), and Cyberpunk 2077 will be a timed exclusive.

TLZ

Banned
Haha! Know all of them, but (Tetsujin 28) is EXTREMELY famous, nearly every human being around here know what that is, young and old :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Astroganger never watched it but probably seen it before somewhere.

Grendizer is as big as the first one! One of the most iconic ones.

Voltron is on par as will, one of my favorites. I liked the fire leopard, the red one :)

Wow! The new version is so refined. The older one was so clunky. Seems worthy of watching this time around :)

The second one is new to me, never seen it before.

What amazes me is that Japanese cartoons were present in a global scale, didn't expect that. Nearly all of our cartoons were Japanese with some European ones. American ones were mostly the comedic ones like Tom and Jerry and Bugs Bunny and the major titles from Disney. Can't say that old days were better, today we're enjoying the best of all entertainments, but the past has its charm and memories.

Thanks to all of you for the nostalgia 🙌 :messenger_squinting_tongue:

I used to watch a lot of US cartoon as well. In addition to the obvious Disney and Looney Toons, ones like TMNT, Bionic Six, Transformers (I think this one's US), He-man, Thundercats. Hulk, Inspector Gadget, MASK, Ghostbusters, Dungeons and Dragons and more I forgot now.

Anyway...... It's almost Noon here, the 27th of Feb. Where art thou Soony? Fulfill the prophecy of that deleted pastebin please.

Kumomeme

i think there more than to be cautious to competitor for sony....there is ps4 sales still going on, although it already slower, but there big exclusives coming that surely would affected the consoles sales...they maybe want to do last spurt at these 'last moment' ...also there stuff about bc that could also affected ps4 sales with ps5 official announcement/confirmation...yes, ps4 already sold many enough, but this is bussiness..marketing/ bussiness department surely had their own milestone numbers to achieve this year despite new console era is coming...i believe there more for sony than just looking at microsoft..there is their own product and department still going well and probably there more stuff they need to looking on, compared to microsoft that seems rather eager to kick off new generation as soon as possible to had new fresh start as there 'nothing left' for them this gen and there are no sign that xbox one could somehow make big comeback at last moment.

basically, probably compared to microsoft, sony had their hands full looking at their rival and themself

Last edited:

SmokSmog

Xbox sx will be on n7+ EUV like RDNA2
The N7+ node is TSMC's first process technology to adopt EUV lithography. It is unrelated to N7 nor N7P and is not IP-compatible with either, requiring re-implementation (new physical layout and validation). N7+ entered mass production in the second quarter of 2019 and uses EUV for four critical layers. Compared to TSMC N7 process, N7+ is said to deliver around 1.2x density improvement. N7+ is also said to deliver 10% higher performance at iso-power or, alternatively, up to 15% lower power at iso-performance. On paper, N7+ appears to be marginally better than N7P, albeit that comes at the cost of re-implementing the design.

Anyone heard about this? Got this from pastebin but the post was deleted

ERvdi_oXkAErWos

When was this one up there? The last one I saw just had a sentence that listed the 27th as the date. This has more detail(though all of that could just be yanking from sites like this one). If this was deleted also, could be something to it.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow. I'm not confident, but hopeful.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PS3 doesn’t add up with Sony taking it off Ps plus. They wouldn’t have done that if the system were to have a future. But I’d like it to be true.

May be some truth in this, but I also think they want to take the PS3 off the network completely and have the PS4 ecosystem and network going forward.

So they can still approach it differently (emulation) since they still have PSNow, and I am sure they would like to have cheaper solution for replacement server blades down the line.

Disco_

Xbox sx will be on n7+ EUV like RDNA2
The N7+ node is TSMC's first process technology to adopt EUV lithography. It is unrelated to N7 nor N7P and is not IP-compatible with either, requiring re-implementation (new physical layout and validation). N7+ entered mass production in the second quarter of 2019 and uses EUV for four critical layers. Compared to TSMC N7 process, N7+ is said to deliver around 1.2x density improvement. N7+ is also said to deliver 10% higher performance at iso-power or, alternatively, up to 15% lower power at iso-performance. On paper, N7+ appears to be marginally better than N7P, albeit that comes at the cost of re-implementing the design.
rdna2 is not exclusive to 7nm+ and looking at the size of the die, it doesn't look like xsx will be 7nm+. Unless you can explain the "extra" ~80mm2 that 7nm+ would've brought to the xsx die?
But if we go by your logic, zen2 is only available on 7nm and since that's incompatible with 7nm+, it can't be on 7nm+.

Last edited:

Tsaki

rdna2 is not exclusive to 7nm+ and looking at the size of the die, it doesn't look like xsx will be 7nm+. Unless you can explain the "extra" ~80mm2 that 7nm+ would've brought to the xsx die?
But if we go by your logic, zen2 is only available on 7nm and since that's incompatible with 7nm+, it can't be on 7nm+.
Wasn't there an AMD slide that showed RDNA2 with 7nm+ attached to it and right next to it RDNA with 7nm?

devilNprada

Guess we'll find out tomorrow. I'm not confident, but hopeful.

I think this was pretty solid information of what to expect

Guys Greg Miller in January the day after he saw shu he out of nowhere said I wouldn’t expect any reveal event till may which everyone at that time thought he was crazy.

I feel ps5 reveal event is may. They want to get closer to Nintendo and Apple style of reveal to release

at max we get another wired article till the reveal.

I feel they will do a wired article about specs before gdc (March 18) then reveal may

Disco_

Wasn't there an AMD slide that showed RDNA2 with 7nm+ attached to it and right next to it RDNA with 7nm?
There was and that'w why I assumed rdna2 was exclusive to 7nm+. I was told I was wrong. For their own desktop GPUs, yes rdna2 will be on 7nm+. As for the architecture itself, it's not tied to any node. It's not even tied to TSMC so any foundry can make it for them.

Tsaki

There was and that'w why I assumed rdna2 was exclusive to 7nm+. I was told I was wrong. For their own desktop GPUs, yes rdna2 will be on 7nm+. As for the architecture itself, it's not tied to any node. It's not even tied to TSMC so any foundry can make it for them.
Gotcha. I don't really expect XsX and PS5 to use 7nm+ because I don't think the fabs will be able to support the volume of wafers that will be required from the EUV line just yet + counting the RDNA2 GPUs and Zen3 CPUs. Do you have any link about the RDNA2 stuff being a node exclusive-free design?

Disco_

Gotcha. I don't really expect XsX and PS5 to use 7nm+ because I don't think the fabs will be able to support the volume of wafers that will be required from the EUV line just yet + counting the RDNA2 GPUs and Zen3 CPUs. Do you have any link about the RDNA2 stuff being a node exclusive-free design?
I don't. It's what the big brain people at Beyond3D told me.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I really don't get what the point of politicking as to what the companies will reveal and badmouthing people that predict differently does for anyone. It's not going to change the final outcome even if you convinced everyone that PS5 was 6tf and melted if you ran it for more than 30 minutes. Like why do people have to go around and post a bunch of rumors as fact and talk trash because ONE side has revealed. No matter how many times someone trashed on the as yet revealed power that power won't change. I guess so you can say "I told you so!" But it's hardly worth bragging about when we all know it was just a guess

Sinthor

Gold Member
I really don't get what the point of politicking as to what the companies will reveal and badmouthing people that predict differently does for anyone. It's not going to change the final outcome even if you convinced everyone that PS5 was 6tf and melted if you ran it for more than 30 minutes. Like why do people have to go around and post a bunch of rumors as fact and talk trash because ONE side has revealed. No matter how many times someone trashed on the as yet revealed power that power won't change. I guess so you can say "I told you so!" But it's hardly worth bragging about when we all know it was just a guess

I can't believe this is at 1100 pages already. Wasn't it just Sunday that people were talking about hitting 1,000? WOW!

Koopatrol

I disagree. I think it's very possible that they just drop a date and logo. That's all they need to get people pumped for a big event.
They can drop hints or more marketing as we approach the event.

Yup. This is the same company that dropped two random Wired articles out of the blue, ~18 and ~12 months before the launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom