• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
My personal take is the difference will be in software implementation.

I believe that's the case, as well. Wikipedia says the OS in PS4 is this:

OS family: Unix-like, FreeBSD (BSD)

And last time PS3 had Linux support. So, is Sony using Vulkan-based RT (open-source) as it shows to gain like 15-20% OVER DXR? AMD is invested in it's opensource Freesync and Vulkan that in some games that utilize Vulkan the Radeon VII in Dirt Rally 4 gained a huge margain agains the mighty 2080ti? If such optimization could do that, then we should expect that from the "secret sauce".

Sorry but it's a few days of unbridled madness. Another event we were going to attend this week may be canceled by the C-19.

I will clarify several things, you have the bad habit of taking too many things for granted. From the important text that I presented the other day, many remained with the only most irrelevant part.

The new black and cold machine is not a devkit. It is a renderfarm of 26TF. The second most powerful of the company (the most powerful is 48TF).

I can't say anything about the devkits. Although I can say something now that Microsoft has officially published the "number". And what I can say is the following:

If XsX is "12TF" then PS5 is not "9.2TF".

Similarly, if PS5 is "9.2TF" then XsX is not "12TF".

For the rest, your imagination.

I am glad to see that in the survey there is no option of 13.8TF.

giphy.gif

PS5 will be closer to Xbox Series X in performance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsaki

How possible is PS5 hardware BC the PS3

Yup, I think that. Sony will not use DXR, I believe. Probably they have a better solution, just like how Vulkan seems to be superior to DirectX 12 at the moment.
Sony will definitely not use DXR, that is a Windows thing. They will make their own implementation of how the hardware becomes visible to the developers, like they have always done.
As far as PS3 BC: I don't know man. I mean I would like to believe it and we can come up with reasons why they will do it (e.g. PS Now PS3 server blades refresh using PS5 hardware, Sony has all the whitepapers abous PS3 specs and architecture information to create a good emulator) and believe insiders that say they will be backwards compatible with all generations of Playstation. But Sony has only talked about PS4 BC and if Klee is to be believed even that wasn't as easy as we think it is. So personally I just expect that, PS4 BC. And if more is to come then that will be a welcome surprise.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Heh, around 11TF is hardly terrible. 11 would be fine.

Thats EXACTLY my point, 11tf is bloody brilliant, and falls with a single terraflop
Basic performance of the sx.

If a few other areas are tighter, it it wouldn’t also explain how everybody also says these two are so close.

It also explains why MS can still be so upfront about being the most powerful, because essentially, they still are, just maybe not in every known case in every known example.

Man, it all fits too much for me. It even explains why so many people are saying “no it’s 13.xtf” butto without specifically saying gcn or rdna?

The only real stumbling block I’ve got is that while I know Sony would post that 13.x figure to confuse people (marketing and all that, not the first time) I can’t see people who are leaking this stuff falling into that trap..?

IkarugaDE

this seems to be the exact same thing that Philips hue does or whatever it was called? Lights on the back of the tv that process a basic rgb grid of what’s seen on the tv and create lights based on that colour.

Pretty cool for ambient lighting, and I wish it was cheaper to do!
Well... but it was submitted by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Thats EXACTLY my point, 11tf is bloody brilliant, and falls with a single terraflop
Basic performance of the sx.

If a few other areas are tighter, it it wouldn’t also explain how everybody also says these two are so close.

It also explains why MS can still be so upfront about being the most powerful, because essentially, they still are, just maybe not in every known case in every known example.

Man, it all fits too much for me. It even explains why so many people are saying “no it’s 13.xtf” butto without specifically saying gcn or rdna?

The only real stumbling block I’ve got is that while I know Sony would post that 13.x figure to confuse people (marketing and all that, not the first time) I can’t see people who are leaking this stuff falling into that trap..?
The only thing I heard (could be bullshit ) that devkit 2 for ps5 is 12.6 rdna 1.5 (all rdna 2 features on 7nm not 7nm euv)

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
If the PS5 is actually 9.2TF, are you all going to defend it and come up with any justifications possible or will you all accept that it’s simply the midrange price/performance console?

But dev kit 2 isn’t final, and is slower than SX, as was reported, but sx isnt 12.5, so that wouldn’t make sense.
Xsx last Dev kit was 11.8 tf . Not sure about the new one . Let me make a correction about ps5 dev kit 2 . Dev kit 2 is 12.3 but target specs says 12.6 . So dev kit 2 is below target specs abit but raytracing has massively improved .(again might be purely bullshit . Please keep that in mind)

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Xsx last Dev kit was 11.8 tf . Not sure about the new one . Let me make a correction about ps5 dev kit 2 . Dev kit 2 is 12.3 but target specs says 12.6 . So dev kit 2 is below target specs abit but raytracing has massively improved .(again might be purely bullshit . Please keep that in mind)

To be fair, and I’m sure you will agree, there are a few dev kits about of various speeds and quality, so it’s always best to assume none of them are correct until they have a final candidate.

There are far too many pieces of the puzzle I just posted there that line up for me to ignore, I mean, it may all be purely coincidence but... damn...

pasterpl

Sony is planning something.

2020030864.jpg

Translation:
Publication number 2020030864
Publication Type Published Patent Publication (A)
Release date 20200227
Application No. 2019214340
Applicant Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.
Main classification G06T 19/20 20110101AFI20200131BHJP (calculation; counting)
Abstract: To provide an image processing apparatus capable of providing a realistic lighting effect when a virtual object is synthesized with a landscape image representing a scene of a real space.
A distance image including information indicating a distance to a subject in a real space, and for each of one or a plurality of regions in the distance image, a distance to a subject portion shown in the region, An image processing apparatus that obtains a distance image including information on a color component of the subject portion and generates a composite image in which a virtual object is arranged on a landscape image representing a scene of a real space; The image processing apparatus determines a display color of a virtual object based on a distance to a subject portion and a color component.

The composite image generation unit determines a display color of the virtual object based on a distance to the subject portion in the distance image and a color component.
An image processing apparatus characterized by the above-mentioned.
The present invention relates to an image processing apparatus, an image processing method, a program, and an information storage medium for generating an image obtained by combining a virtual object with a captured image of a camera.

Sony Kinect? :D

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
They won't post that 13.x figure. Because they know it's still 11TF. Just because RDNA is much more efficient, doesn't mean that TF number should be going up. We are just saying that RDNA is 20-25% more efficient, but the pure numbers will still be 11TF v. 12TF. Otherwise Microsoft will just start saying 14.5-15TF.

Which is why Sony's marketing campaign won't be about the power, but about the speeds of the SSD. The fastest console in the world, versus the most powerful console in the world.

pasterpl

I

don't think that is necessary. Chances are Sony first party will still be fucking up the competition graphically every side till sunday mate

so much ambiguity in "graphically"; I am guessing you are referring to art direction, not the tech.

....I love some of the Sony exclusive series, but I will skip some big ones this gen if e.g. next Uncharted will be simply better graphics with exact same mechanics etc. like the Uncharted 4 is on PS4 (I like the game but for me, it is 6-7/10 not a system seller for me).

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
They won't post that 13.x figure. Because they know it's still 11TF. Just because RDNA is much more efficient, doesn't mean that TF number should be going up. We are just saying that RDNA is 20-25% more efficient, but the pure numbers will still be 11TF v. 12TF. Otherwise Microsoft will just start saying 14.5-15TF.

Which is why Sony's marketing campaign won't be about the power, but about the speeds of the SSD. The fastest console in the world, versus the most powerful console in the world.

Which would also lend credence to how Sony are unusually a little quiet, more so with how much Xbox are saying. They are likely thinking the best way to make all this public, because people aren’t as stupid as they used to be.

Also last I heard from the later dev kits there was only 1gb/sec give or take a bit difference between console SSD Speeds.

xool xool I’ve only ever really known those specific numbers and truth be told I just assumed that was that. It didn’t even occur to me that the leakers and people would be posting gcn and not rdna versions of those numbers, I mean, why would they...?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
If it's using RDNA 2 architecture, then it's not GCN.

Even the sx isn’t using true 2.0, so anything is possible.

Only thing I’m confident in is it’s not 9.xtf, but as I keep being told, 10.5-11.5 target.

Do you know what the clock frequency differentials are, between Sonys and Microsoft's development kits by any chance?

Nope. Only thing I can say which take it for what it’s worth is when I said 2.0ghz I got a load of laughing smilie emojis and a toaster image 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Hahaha!

Last edited:

xool

I’ve only ever really known those specific numbers and truth be told I just assumed that was that. It didn’t even occur to me that the leakers and people would be posting gcn and not rdna versions of those numbers, I mean, why would they...?

I've been seeing the 12.8/13 number coming up since long before RDNA was even a thing. Back when we only had GCN.. It could be that simple.

[maybe the devs had RDNA before it was announced .. I dunno]

Last edited:
so much ambiguity in "graphically"; I am guessing you are referring to art direction, not the tech.

....I love some of the Sony exclusive series, but I will skip some big ones this gen if e.g. next Uncharted will be simply better graphics with exact same mechanics etc. like the Uncharted 4 is on PS4 (I like the game but for me, it is 6-7/10 not a system seller for me).
So Gears looks like garbage because of art direction, but Horizon looks gorgeous because of art direction? MS should stop investing in AA studios hoping to get AAA graphics.

DrDamn

What if that 13ish tf is gcn...?

That’s way too close to that rumour of 13.8 for my liking...

I think the whole RDNA efficiency over GCN has been confusing numbers somewhat. PS5 is Navi/RDNAx of some sort though. How many TF? We'll see. I'm thinking ~11.x, probably 11.5+ so rounded up we are talking 12 too.

The 13.8TF number is also linked to GitHub rumours in a round about way. If 18CU are for PS4 BC and 36CU are used for PS4 PRO BC, then potentially full PS5 is 54CU - making it a nice neat 3 x 18CU for disabling purposes. If 36CU => 9.2TF then 54CU => 1.5 x 9.2 = 13.8TF. That's very unlikely, not least because that also assumes 2GHz which would be too big a monster to cool with 54CU surely.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I've been seeing the 12.8/13 number coming up since long before RDNA was even a thing. Back when we only had GCN.. It could be that simple.

[maybeI

Which again suggests that if that was a target it wouldn’t be rdna but gcn, and that no insider quoting under 12 is wrong, but also no insider quoting over 12 is wrong either.

🤯🤯🤯🤯

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Which would also lend credence to how Sony are unusually a little quiet, more so with how much Xbox are saying. They are likely thinking the best way to make all this public, because people aren’t as stupid as they used to be.

Also last I heard from the later dev kits there was only 1gb/sec give or take a bit difference between console SSD Speeds.

xool xool I’ve only ever really known those specific numbers and truth be told I just assumed that was that. It didn’t even occur to me that the leakers and people would be posting gcn and not rdna versions of those numbers, I mean, why would they...?
I wouldn't worry if I was Sony. They have such a huge fanbase that will keep saying that there's barely a difference between 11 and 12TF, and they will be correct. Just like the Xbox fanbase will say that the 1GB/s difference for the SSD is also not important, both of them will be right. Not sure if marketing can change that really.

Both systems will be equal, the difference will come to price, games and services. Price will be the same, or maybe Xbox $50 cheaper. Xbox will have the better launch line up, but everyone knows Sony always has good games throughout the generation, so it might be overlooked a bit. Services, Xbox wins hands down obviously.

Kumomeme

Guys I‘ve just had an awful terrible thought.

All this time I’ve been reporting that PS5 is targeting 10.5-11.5 to fall upon and yet people are still posting this strange rumour about 13, nearly 14, which would be utterly insane for what I assume will be the same price (bom) and keeping a traditional form factor...

But erm... And this is just me, Using what I’ve been told and making a new conclusion...

Because I know it’s not 9.X, that was ditched ages ago. But a target range of 10.5-11.5 rdna is... 13.125 - 14.375. Meaning if they hit a middle of the road target of 11, they will essentially be on about... 13.75.

So erm...

No, it can’t be that, it can’t be that simple... no way...

I’m still very much in the target range of 10.5-11.5 for myself, based on what I’ve been told. But... I can’t help but look at the above and go “well fuck me if that doesn’t add up” 🤯🤯🤯
many people already made that assumption...thats what strengthen their believe that ps5 will be 9tf rdna which is also align with insider/leakers claim of both consol aim to suprass 10.7 stadia number

but if i remembered correctly klee already clearly stated that both will be double digit over 10tf rdna architecture
he even clarify many time that not gcn flops but rdna flops instead

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Oh no, Sony could come out and straight up say “you know what, it’s 75% as fast as the sx, what ya gonna do?” And they would still lead in sales, that’s my take anyway. They are far too large and well loved to “flop”. Maybe if this is all bad news and the ps6 looks the same way, things may change, but PS5 is in the bag for a win regardless.

I just can’t believe how stupid I’ve been to not make that connection before, I feel a right tit. It all just fits so well. It may be utter bollocks still, and until we get hard data, yeah, but...

Man...

C9a9KtP.gif

many people already made that assumption...thats what strengthen their believe that ps5 will be 9tf rdna which is also align with insider/leakers claim of both consol aim to suprass 10.7 stadia number

It’s not 9. I’ve been given the figures 10.5-11.5tf target and I’m sticking to those. So either it’s those figures rdna, or its the higher ones gcn. It’s the same overall end result, regardless. Still not as powerful as SX but still heavily comparable to the point it doesn’t matter.

Last edited:

MARTYWOLF

Guys I‘ve just had an awful terrible thought.

All this time I’ve been reporting that PS5 is targeting 10.5-11.5 to fall upon and yet people are still posting this strange rumour about 13, nearly 14, which would be utterly insane for what I assume will be the same price (bom) and keeping a traditional form factor...

But erm... And this is just me, Using what I’ve been told and making a new conclusion...

Because I know it’s not 9.X, that was ditched ages ago. But a target range of 10.5-11.5 rdna is... 13.125 - 14.375. Meaning if they hit a middle of the road target of 11, they will essentially be on about... 13.75.

So erm...

No, it can’t be that, it can’t be that simple... no way...

I’m still very much in the target range of 10.5-11.5 for myself, based on what I’ve been told. But... I can’t help but look at the above and go “well fuck me if that doesn’t add up” 🤯🤯🤯

Well benji sales ages ago said the ps5 devkit had a 13tf gpu but at the time the only AMD GCN was RADEON VII which is 13,4tf ofcourse as with everything we talk about we cant confirm that

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
It’s not 9. I’ve been given the figures 10.5-11.5tf target and I’m sticking to those. So either it’s those figures rdna, or its the higher ones gcn. It’s the same overall end result, regardless. Still not as powerful as SX but still heavily comparable to the point it doesn’t matter.
But your puzzle also works in the other direction, right? What if the figures you have been given 10.5-11.5 TF are in GCN. And that it's actually a 9.2TF RDNA GPU?

I wouldn't mind honestly if it's 9.2 as long as its $100 cheaper than the XSX.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
But your puzzle also works in the other direction, right? What if the figures you have been given 10.5-11.5 TF are in GCN. And that it's actually a 9.2TF RDNA GPU?

True, I can’t argue that, I really can’t. But then if it’s only 9.x, Sony wouldnt be having thermal issues to the point that they Would be resolved later, they wouldn’t be in the same price position as MS etc

So while I see it as a possibility, I can’t realistically see Sony releasing a 9.2 tf rdna machine, because that would mean it would be a 7.36tf gcn machine, and that’s... that’s just not happening. Even if you take onboard the advancements in other areas, that’s not gonna fly, and would be a console they could release dirt cheap, and bloody COLD too.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Its a joke guys. It's supposed to be mocking the conspiracy theories these guys come up with. The era post was written as a reply to a guy who suggested Sony was trying to fool insiders by sending devkits with Vega cards Instead of Navi cards to inflate the tflops count. The story is simply their stupid theory taken to its logical yet ridiculous conclusion.

Not sure who posted it on pastebin or how it was picked up by misterxmedia and bluenugorho but the post was meant to be mocking them especially their treatment of klee. The fact that they don't realize that is actually kinda funny.
I saw REE post. So, all this fuss because misterxmedia reached a new level of delusional by believing a pastebin based on a mock post? Jesus, these guys are hopeless.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
True, I can’t argue that, I really can’t. But then if it’s only 9.x, Sony wouldnt be having thermal issues to the point that they Would be resolved later, they wouldn’t be in the same price position as MS etc

So while I see it as a possibility, I can’t realistically see Sony releasing a 9.2 tf rdna machine, because that would mean it would be a 7.36tf gcn machine, and that’s... that’s just not happening. Even if you take onboard the advancements in other areas, that’s not gonna fly, and would be a console they could release dirt cheap, and bloody COLD too.
I think your math is off, or my explanation was wrong. I meant 9.2TF with RDNA2 => 11.5TF in GCN numbers.

I don't know how much heat this would generate to comprehend if they would have thermal issues in a small form factor. Because how does it work if they would put this hardware in the PS4 Pro for example. Is that casing big enough? Does the system run much hotter than a PS4 Pro?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I think your math is off, or my explanation was wrong. I meant 9.2TF with RDNA2 => 11.5TF in GCN numbers.

I don't know how much heat this would generate to comprehend if they would have thermal issues in a small form factor. Because how does it work if they would put this hardware in the PS4 Pro for example. Is that casing big enough? Does the system run much hotter than a PS4 Pro?

Might be me to be fair miss reading, I’m typing in haste today lol. Bit busier than usual, but what ill still say is regardless of it all I’m still sticking to my 10.5-11.5 tf final range. RDNA is more optimised than GCN, so you would need more tf in GCN to match RDNA performance, something like 1.25 or so, I believe. So to match a 12tf rdna, you would need 15tf gcn. Or round abouts. The current figure that’s being floated about for PS5 is 13tf, or 13.8. Well 13tf gcn just so happens to be 10.4tf, my lowest target more or less that I was told about. 13.8 gcn is 11.04 rdna... which is smack bang in the middle of the targets I was given.

Sorry for any confusion, been a crazy morning, my 3 year old daughter hasn’t been for a number 2 in over a week now even with laxatives. So you can imagine how pleasant it is looking after her...

*corrected

Last edited:

demigod

Its a joke guys. It's supposed to be mocking the conspiracy theories these guys come up with. The era post was written as a reply to a guy who suggested Sony was trying to fool insiders by sending devkits with Vega cards Instead of Navi cards to inflate the tflops count. The story is simply their stupid theory taken to its logical yet ridiculous conclusion.

Not sure who posted it on pastebin or how it was picked up by misterxmedia and bluenugorho but the post was meant to be mocking them especially their treatment of klee. The fact that they don't realize that is actually kinda funny.

You wrote it?

I expect, at a bare minimum, a 150€ difference between the 2 if PS5 is 9.2 TF and XBOX more than 12 TF. 100 would a 9.2 TF on ultra steroid, like a 10.2... not what some PS5 leaks suggest. I am a 100% confident in a 350€ (or even less) PS5 VS 499€.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I expect, at a bare minimum, a 150€ difference between the 2 if PS5 is 9.2 TF and XBOX more than 12 TF. 100 would a 9.2 TF on ultra steroid, like a 10.2... not what some leaks PS5 suggest. I am a 100% convidence in a 350€ (or even less) PS5 VS 499€.
They wouldn't create a $350 console or less since that's not the right price/power balance that most gamers want. Also due to the customisations of the PS5 internals it will more likely be $400-450. If the console is more powerful, well then it's going to be $500. I can't imagine them going above that. Microsoft might, but only if they also release Lockhart, otherwise they are shooting themselves in the foot.

I Love Rock 'n' Roll I Love Rock 'n' Roll That’s plausible but then... why the rumoured worry about pricing? Because at that price, it’s a steal, isn’t it? I mean it would fly off shelves...? I don’t get it?

I mean, a lot of people keep saying PS5 is 9.2 TF and underpower and blablabla but it's the same price (remember Sony is scared blablabla) or just a little less. But a 9.2 TF is not the same price as a more than 12 TF BEASSSSST but at the very least 150€ less expensive. It is logic considering that XBOX is said to be a true beast, not the PS5. A 349€/$ PS5 is a winner.

A 8 TF PS5 like some say would mean a 200-250€ console. Who are those people and in what world do they live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom