• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
New reply from Insider of the Week: youtube.com/watch?v=cIqzGJl8tw8&lc=UgzG0Zj_AJs9JCpHoY54AaABAg

Jeff Rickel said:
@Docwiz2 They aren't. Devs are saying the opposite, that the XSX is way ahead of the PS5. Not sure what developers you're referring to.

There have even been several article published from insiders. I'd heard for awhile that the Xbox was way ahead from people I know.

Sony is trying to do some damage control, but you can just tell buy Cerny's presentation that the PS5 is significantly behind the Xbox. Even if the data throughput functions at peak all the time, it cannot change the computer power that normally hovers around 9 Tflops (Cerny showed you its peak burst). While Tflops are not everything, these both run the same RDNA architecture, so they can easily be compared.

The other thing to consider is 10GB of the Xbox's memory is 110 GB/s faster than the PS5s. So yes, in theory the PS5 could load a section of a game in 1 second as opposed to 3 seconds for the Xbox, but the Xbox has much better bandwidth from the memory where all the graphical data is stored into the APU by a wide margin.

Basically, the Xbox not only has more compute power, but the memory setup allows it to also have fewer skipped cycles, so it not only is about 33% better with compute on average, it also can process more data due to fewer skipped cycles. I've heard several estimate that the XSX is about 50% more powerful on average and real world performance on test mules is sustained at that level while the PS5 is unpredictable.

You also have to ask what devs are reporting it is more powerful? I have never heard that it is from the dev community that works at studios that design for both platforms. A lot of PS fans are sorely disappointed - and these are devs that love the platform.

So please tell me what devs are saying it is more powerful other than fake ones reporting to PS fan sites that just a few weeks ago were claiming the PS5 had 13.8 tflops and 20GB of RAM. Probably the same made up sources.

The PS5 will still be a good console whenever it gets delivered, but the comparisons of titles on both is going to be very, very, very unflattering for the PS5. Most work on next gen games is being done primarily for Xbox first this time around as it was for Xbox 360. Sony optimizations won't improve until about a year after release, so expect a very rough launch for PS5. If Sony has overheating issues and console replacement then it also may delay the upgrade cycle. Microsoft is already working on the mid-cycle upgrade to XSX because they are finished with this one. Sony has only really shot around concepts because they are scrambling just to get this to ship on time.

Right now Microsoft is way ahead on engineering. We'll have to see if their moves to shore up first party gaming will pay dividends on the next gen because that is Sony's prime differentiator and it is a big one.

Last edited:
Little Jason S. Takes a console warrior to know of another! :) (not you, jason s... he's a closeted fanboy who has said in the past he's not objective. he has an agenda)

He's leaning on our side for sure. But he's classy about it.

For comparison, I don't hate Phil. I think he's ok. That dictator guy from DF though. He speak as though he's an expert on making games.

Last edited:
I won't give him my source and I have no wish to be vetted. All I can say is that it will be a great gen for both MS and Sony. Be hyped guys, as gamers we all win. :) I'll keep my mouth shut from now on and return to my lurking.

Hey wait. Last question. Just a comment about VRS and Mesh Shaders. They say PS5 don't have them.

I won't give him my source and I have no wish to be vetted. All I can say is that it will be a great gen for both MS and Sony. Be hyped guys, as gamers we all win. :) I'll keep my mouth shut from now on and return to my lurking.

Do you know if the PS5 has shared RAM as the XSX?

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
I took a few minutes to extract all Mark Cerny's quotations from the Digital Foundry article. Including all what it was omitted in the DF Video.

Lets combat the FUD with FACTS :)

PlayStation 5's boost clocks and how they work

"Because there are no more unknowns, there's no need to guess what power consumption the worst case game might have." "As for the details of the cooling solution, we're saving them for our teardown, I think you'll be quite happy with what the engineering team came up with"

"We don't use the actual temperature of the die, as that would cause two types of variance between PS5s." "One is variance caused by differences in ambient temperature; the console could be in a hotter or cooler location in the room. The other is variance caused by the individual custom chip in the console, some chips run hotter and some chips run cooler. So instead of using the temperature of the die, we use an algorithm in which the frequency depends on CPU and GPU activity information. That keeps behaviour between PS5s consistent."

"The behaviour of all PS5s is the same." "If you play the same game and go to the same location in the game, it doesn't matter which custom chip you have and what its transistors are like. It doesn't matter if you put it in your stereo cabinet or your refrigerator, your PS5 will get the same frequencies for CPU and GPU as any other PS5."

"The time constant, which is to say the amount of time that the CPU and GPU take to achieve a frequency that matches their activity, is critical to developers.". "It's quite short, if the game is doing power-intensive processing for a few frames, then it gets throttled. There isn't a lag where extra performance is available for several seconds or several minutes and then the system gets throttled; that isn't the world that developers want to live in - we make sure that the PS5 is very responsive to power consumed. In addition to that the developers have feedback on exactly how much power is being used by the CPU and GPU."

"Power plays a role when optimising. If you optimise and keep the power the same you see all of the benefit of the optimisation. If you optimise and increase the power then you're giving a bit of the performance back. What's most interesting here is optimisation for power consumption, if you can modify your code so that it has the same absolute performance but reduced power then that is a win"

"The CPU and GPU each have a power budget, of course the GPU power budget is the larger of the two.". "If the CPU doesn't use its power budget - for example, if it is capped at 3.5GHz - then the unused portion of the budget goes to the GPU. That's what AMD calls SmartShift. There's enough power that both CPU and GPU can potentially run at their limits of 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz, it isn't the case that the developer has to choose to run one of them slower."

"There's another phenomenon here, which is called 'race to idle'. Let's imagine we are running at 30Hz, and we're using 28 milliseconds out of our 33 millisecond budget, so the GPU is idle for five milliseconds. The power control logic will detect that low power is being consumed - after all, the GPU is not doing much for that five milliseconds - and conclude that the frequency should be increased. But that's a pointless bump in frequency."

"So, when I made the statement that the GPU will spend most of its time at or near its top frequency, that is with 'race to idle' taken out of the equation - we were looking at PlayStation 5 games in situations where the whole frame was being used productively. The same is true for the CPU, based on examination of situations where it has high utilisation throughout the frame, we have concluded that the CPU will spend most of its time at its peak frequency."

"Developers don't need to optimise in any way; if necessary, the frequency will adjust to whatever actions the CPU and GPU are performing," Mark Cerny counters. "I think you're asking what happens if there is a piece of code intentionally written so that every transistor (or the maximum number of transistors possible) in the CPU and GPU flip on every cycle. That's a pretty abstract question, games aren't anywhere near that amount of power consumption. In fact, if such a piece of code were to run on existing consoles, the power consumption would be well out of the intended operating range and it's even possible that the console would go into thermal shutdown. PS5 would handle such an unrealistic piece of code more gracefully."

"All of the game logic created for Jaguar CPUs works properly on Zen 2 CPUs, but the timing of execution of instructions can be substantially different." "We worked to AMD to customise our particular Zen 2 cores; they have modes in which they can more closely approximate Jaguar timing. We're keeping that in our back pocket, so to speak, as we proceed with the backwards compatibility work."

The proprietary SSD - how it works and what it delivers (OMITTED)

"I'm still working on games. I was a producer on Marvel's Spider-Man, Death Stranding and The Last Guardian.". "My work was on a mixture of creative and technical issues - so I pick up a lot of insight as to how systems are working in practice."

"Let's say an enemy is going to yell something as it dies, which can be issued as an urgent cut-in-front-of-everybody else request, but it's still very possible that it takes 250 milliseconds to get the data back due to all of the other game and operating requests in the pipeline.". "That 250 milliseconds is a problem because if the enemy is going to yell something as it dies, it needs to happen pretty much instantaneously; this kind of issue is what forces a lot of data into RAM on PlayStation 4 and its generation."

"Marvel's Spider-Man is a good example of the city block strategy. There are higher LOD and lower LOD representations for about a thousand blocks. If something is used a lot it's in those bundles of data a lot"

"Telemetry is vital in spotting issues with such a system, for example, telemetry showed that the city database jumped in size by a gigabyte overnight. It turned out the cause was 1.6MB of trash bags - that's not a particularly large asset - but the trash bags happened to be included in 600 city blocks.". "The Insomniac rule is that any asset used more than four hundred times is resident in RAM, so the trash bags were moved there, though clearly there's a limit to how many assets can reside in RAM"

3D Audio - the power of the Tempest engine

"If the HRTF discussion is a bit brain bending, there are a few concepts regarding sound localisation that are a bit simpler to describe, namely the ILD and the ITD.". "The ILD is the interaural level difference, which is to say the difference in the intensity of the sound reaching each ear. It varies by frequency and location; if the sound source is on my right, then my left ear will hear low frequencies less and high frequencies a whole lot less, because low frequency sounds can diffract around the head but high frequency sounds can't - they don't bend, they bounce. And so the ILD varies based on wherever the sound is coming from and the frequency of the sound, as well as the size of your head and the shape of your head. The ITD - the interaural time delay - is how long it takes for the sound to hit your right ear versus your left ear"

"Clearly, if the sound source is in front of you, the interaural time delay is zero. But if the sound source is to your right, there's a delay that is roughly the speed of sound divided by the distance between your ears. The HRTF that we use in the 3D audio algorithms encapsulates the ILD and ITD, as well as a bit more."

"The way we know whether our algorithms aren't working well is through the use of pink noise, it's similar in concept to white noise (which I think we're all familiar with). We use a sound source that is pink noise, and move it around, if we hear the flavour of that sound source changing as it moves that means there is an inaccuracy in our algorithms."

"The reason for the overwhelming HRTF processing diagram in the presentation was that I wanted to get out in front of you the complexity of what's required for accurate processing of a moving sound, and through that the rationale for why we constructed a dedicated unit for audio processing."

"Essentially, we wanted to be able to throw an indefinite amount of power at whatever issues we faced. Or to put that differently, we didn't want the cost of a particular algorithm to be the reason for choosing that algorithm, we wanted to be able to focus simply on the quality of the resulting effect."

"GPUs process hundreds or even thousands of wavefronts; the Tempest engine supports two.". "One wavefront is for the 3D audio and other system functionality, and one is for the game. Bandwidth-wise, the Tempest engine can use over 20GB/s, but we have to be a little careful because we don't want the audio to take a notch out of the graphics processing. If the audio processing uses too much bandwidth, that can have a deleterious effect if the graphics processing happens to want to saturate the system bandwidth at the same time."

"When using the Tempest engine, we DMA in the data, we process it, and we DMA it back out again; this is exactly what happens on the SPUs on PlayStation 3.". "It's a very different model from what the GPU does; the GPU has caches, which are wonderful in some ways but also can result in stalling when it is waiting for the cache line to get filled. GPUs also have stalls for other reasons, there are many stages in a GPU pipeline and each stage needs to supply the next. As a result, with the GPU if you're getting 40 per cent VALU utilisation, you're doing pretty damn well. By contrast, with the Tempest engine and its asynchronous DMA model, the target is to achieve 100 percent VALU utilisation in key pieces of code."

"We're beginning to see strategies for game audio where the type of processing depends on the particular sound source.". "For example, a 'hero sound' (by which I mean an important sound, not literally a sound made by the player hero) will get 3D object treatment for ideal locality, while the majority of the sounds in the scenes go through Ambisonics for a higher level of control of sound level. With that kind of hybrid approach, you can theoretically get the best of both worlds. And since both of these are running through the same HRTF processing at the end of the audio pipeline, both can get that same marvelous sense of presence."

How PS5's 3D audio connects to your audio hardware

"With TV speakers and stereo speakers, the user can choose to enable or disable 'TV Virtual Surround,' so the audio pipeline needs to be able to produce audio that does not have the 3D aspects that I was talking about.". "Virtual surround sound works in a sweet spot, and the user might not be seated in that sweet spot, or the user might be playing couch co-op (hard to fit both players in the sweet spot), etc. When virtual surround sound is enabled, HRTF based algorithms are used. When it is disabled, a simple downmix is performed - eg the location of a 3D sound object determines to what degree its sound comes from the left speaker and to what degree it comes from the right speaker."

"Once we're satisfied with our solution for these two channel systems we will turn to the issue of 5.1 and 7.1 systems.". "For now, though the 5.1 and 7.1 channel systems get a solution that approximates what we have now on PS4, which is to say the locations of the sound objects determine to what degree their sounds come out of each speaker. Note that 5.1 and 7.1 channel support is going to have its own special issues, in my talk I mentioned that with two channel systems the left ear can hear the right speaker and vice versa - it's even more complex with six or eight channels! Also note that if a developer is interested in using the Tempest engine power to support six or eight channels, game code is aware of the speaker setup so bespoke support is quite possible."

Source:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-playstation-5-the-mark-cerny-tech-deep-dive

Great work man, but Its really sad that we need to do to do that in the first place. DF needs more competition because its quite clear that they have been biased for almost 8 years now.

Quite despicable act by them.

Looks like he has been called out.

Here are some of his ps4 fud from before he made it private :

lFjjbVV.jpg

spwFZWO.jpg

Last edited:
Hi! Long time lurker here. I decided to register just to guess the TF of PS5. Playstation has been my main console ever since the first one and I'm going to buy PS5 at launch along with a brand new 4k tv.
Ok, here's my thoughts. I think the PS5 will be around 10-10,5 TF. This goes against the insiders here but it's my guess anyway. I think xbox will have the TF-advantage. Real world performance will be almost identical between them anyway.
That's my guess, maybe we will get answers tomorrow? I'm hyped and I think it will be a great gen!

Can you elaborate on that at least?

ghausst

Neo Member
Please everyone, type GDC survey in your searchbar, and take a shot of reality, in this reality there is only two potential outcome:

A) Devs are excited about PS5, more than they are about Series X
B) Devs are afraid about PS5, less than they are about Series X

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I have a solid source. Check my history in this thread and you'll see I had the right TF-number the day before Cernys GDC-talk.

Please, give me more information...now. Does the PS5 really have thermal issues? Is its performance really inconsistent and unpredictable? What does it look like?

ethomaz

Banned
It runs cool and quiet because they have set a power limit to ensure a max amount of heat output, and the components throttle to not exceed that power limit. That basically translates into heat being the limit on the console, and why the load cannot be maintained at all times.
You need to choose which reason you want to blame Sony lol
Both are illogical.

Last edited:
Please, give me more information...now. Does the PS5 really have thermal issues? Is its performance really inconsistent and unpredictable? What does it look like?
The only thing this guy can give you is a brief confirmation before the next tech geek or dev says otherwise, nobody can prove anything now, everyone could be wrong or a liar.
Keep calm and don't fall for useless informations.

Last edited:
YouTuber Red Gaming Tech says that he's heard from a source that Sony has yet to reveal the PS5 because...

1. Sony's design of the PS5 is so innovative, partially due to having an exotic cooling solution, that Sony thinks that people would doubt that they could mass-produce it if they reveal an in-house assembled unit. Hence, Sony wants to reveal the PS5 via a factory-manufactured unit.

2. Sony believes that revealing the PS5 as part of a special event during which they'd also reveal the price and demonstrate games running on the console would be more impactful than revealing the console otherwise.

3. Sony is not ready to show real, tangible footage of games running on a mass-produced unit of the PS5.

Start at 4:45.

This makes much more sense from a marketing standpoint than Sony panicking behind the scenes and scrambling to try and figure out how to save themselves this coming gen. Microsoft has been very up front about everything involving the Series X and has put Sony in a weird place with gamers at the moment, so them taking their time to make sure they absolutely nail a reveal event makes much more sense.
OMG the rumor of PS5 being in PYRAMID shape is seeming more and more true every passing day. lol

*illuminare semita

Well... there is. And this was just because of Digital Foundry video.
Both fanboys on both sides are fucking annoying. There's so much misinformation thrown out on both sides it's starting to get frustrating to the point I've locked all information off unless it's from people I absolutely KNOW are credible like DF.

Anyone who claims inside information here especially can
🖕

Last edited:

Ptarmiganx2

As soon as Sony shows Horizon Zero Dawn 2 the debate on console superiority will end. The IO throughput will show what is only possible on PlayStation 5. We will only see it with 1st party games, but that's why I'm primarily a Sony gamer in the first place. Microsoft will be hampered for 2-3 years with their homogenous platform stance. Even then, there will be noting on the platform that couldn't run on Sony's platform.

Constant boost?

That's how I understood it.

Instead of going for a lower clock and design the thermal and power supply around the worst case scenario (100% utilization). They ran the chip on constant boost because that's where it'll stay most of the time anyway.

The worst case scenario will almost never happen anyway because of the nature games are coded.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
This user has been removed from thread. Some of you just can’t help yourselves with the endless bait posts.
Great work man, but Its really sad that we need to do to do that in the first place. DF needs more competition because its quite clear that they have been biased for almost 8 years now.

Quite despicable act by them.
Yeah it's quite staggering how much in bed the press is with Sony.

Andodalf

Banned
Delays are very worrying. Not giving any date sucks a ton. If hardware is ready but the software isn’t, does the hardware get delayed? If we thought Sony was pushing a full PS5 reveal for the launch of these PS4 games, does this mean a delayed reveal? Maybe just launch these games as cross gen games from the getgo?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
That's very good news about TLOU2, I wouldn't want to play it on my Pro anyway... gonna wait for the PS5 patch. More time also means more polish. And this will make the wait a bit more easy.
More time for polish? I don't think that they'll be working on the game in the meanwhile, due to the virus; so the time between now and when the virus subsides won't be devoted to polishing the game.

ethomaz

Banned
That's how I understood it.

Instead of going for a lower clock and design the thermal and power supply around the worst case scenario (100% utilization). They ran the chip on constant boost because that's where it'll stay most of the time anyway.

The worst case scenario will almost never happen anyway because of the nature games are coded.

What am I missing?
It has a base clock: 3.5Ghz and 2.23Ghz.
It decrease that base clock based in the workload.

It is the opposite of boost that increase the clock.
There is no boost feature in PS5... the clock can go over the base.

Last edited:
Delays are very worrying. Not giving any date sucks a ton. If hardware is ready but the software isn’t, does the hardware get delayed? If we thought Sony was pushing a full PS5 reveal for the launch of these PS4 games, does this mean a delayed reveal? Maybe just launch these games as cross gen games from the getgo?
I think the consoles are getting delayed. And quite frankly, you have much bigger problems to worry about if this thing continues to ravage nonstop without a break during the summer 6 months from now. The only thing government is doing right now is delaying this hoping by summer it starts to die down so we can recover and be better prepared to respond to it if it resurfaces. If it doesn't, we're potentially looking at a complete world collapse or rushed vaccines that have no been properly tested risking the population.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom