• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascend

That doesn’t make any sense.. if they were having issues they would settle for a much lower clock wouldn’t they. Or you are saying that the 2.23 GHz is plain bulshit and they will go with much lower clocks in reality?
I'm saying that if there weren't cooling limitations they wouldn't have to use SmartShift to try and boost performance. The PS5 is being handled like a laptop.

MonkeyPunch

Neo Member
U7012L5.png

fVu1eY8.png

yvt8U8p.png

Qdr7lAL.jpg

FKiUvP8.png

glXkYi5.png

kpUTKGh.png

mOUlRoN.png

ZRbc2Fc.png

8LdLTBI.png

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Oh he knows what he's talking about. But he's got the ignorant completely conflating clock speeds and workload for example. Which is why we see so much nonsense. I'll ask the same thing I asked multiple times;

• If there is no limit on cooling, why not increase the power limit to allow more performance?
  • If the console can run at max clocks & max load at all times, why do developers choose profiles to throttle the CPU to ensure max GPU speeds, as stated by DF?
  • If developers prefer static performance, why have variable clocks if the console can run at max clocks & max load at all times?

there is a limit on cooling.

no one has said that console can run max all the time, or if they have they are wrong. Afaik, They choose profiles because they are working with dev kits. Developers need tools and that is one.

devs prefer it because less work to get max performance. And again, it cannot run max ‘all the time’.

Oh he knows what he's talking about. But he's got the ignorant completely conflating clock speeds and workload for example. Which is why we see so much nonsense. I'll ask the same thing I asked multiple times;

• If there is no limit on cooling, why not increase the power limit to allow more performance?
  • If the console can run at max clocks & max load at all times, why do developers choose profiles to throttle the CPU to ensure max GPU speeds, as stated by DF?
  • If developers prefer static performance, why have variable clocks if the console can run at max clocks & max load at all times?

Probably because past PS consoles have been on the noisy side and they are wanting to make their console much quieter this time around, so upgrading the cooling system and adding in variable clocks will severely help with that matter. Sony has said for a while that they are wanting to be more environmentally friendly as well and have stated that the PS5 would not waste power like it did with the PS4 (part of their Playing for the Planet initiative), which was stated before the announcement of the XSX.

https://www.engadget.com/2019-09-23-ps5-efficient-sleep-mode.html

I know probably nothing I say is going to change your mind, but that is the reasoning, plain and simple. I don't know why everyone is freaking out about it having variable clocks, PC's have had that for the longest time, if the system isn't needing the full power then there is no reason to run that hardware at full speed, it would be like flooring your car to go to the store when you only need to drive at the speed limit. Just put a little faith into the guy, he knows what he is doing, yes the XSX is faster and that's fine with me, but they are still both going to be great systems with great games!

Last edited:

Ascend

With all due respect I never cared about what you wished to sell but I certainly care about the PS5 being sold to me as a gamer.
The reason I brought up the selling is, because Cerny has a financial stake in what he tells you. I do not. It is his job to hide or downplay the weaknesses of the PS5 and play to its strengths. I do not have that.

If you want to buy a PS5, that's your choice. As of right now, MS has given the better impression with the XSX. They have shown multiple things. Simple, understandable things.
Sony on the other hand has created a shitstorm with all the talk and little showing of things. The technological aspects are interesting, but the PS5 can only beat the XSX in one thing; loading times. Whether you care or not is up to you. After all, many people find the PS games superior. And that is perfectly fine and justifiable to go for a PS5 instead of the XSX. But if you're going to get a console for the multiplats, the XSX is simply the way to go. Assuming of course, you don't care about BC etc. There are many variables, and everyone needs to decide for themselves what the best console is for their own use.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wait Brad Sams joined XboxEra?

When? News to me.
Shepshal, so glad you could come and clear up things for us. I have a few questions:

1) Monkeypunch said you guys knew about the github leaks before everyone else. Hmqqq confirmed this. How long before everyone else? Is that why klobrie and colbert were so confident in the 36 cu predictions?
2) How did Colbert and DBB know about the PS5 tflops before the Cerny meeting. I am not implying anything, but DF was the only source that got a briefing in advance.
3) This might seem completely unrelated and out of left field, but When did Dictator join?
4) Amidst this shitstorm, you should open your doors to people who can take part in that discord and report back to the masses that you arent the shitheads everyone is making you guys out to be. Can I get an invite?

Bonus Question:
Why do you guys try and ban everyone by first going into PS threads, starting shit and then mass reporting everyone who takes the bait? Isnt that a shitty thing to do?

He'

He's not trying to sell anything, but Sony is. Mark Cerny doesn't work for Sony, he is a consultant brought in to be the lead system architect on the PS5, whether the PS5 sells 100 units or 100 million units, Mark still gets his money. One thing is for sure though, he is very well versed in both the software and hardware side of things and knows more than 99.999% of the people on here about the subject. He's a pretty analytical guy that doesn't seem to spout the typical corporate marketing BS, he likes facts so when he talks about stuff it usually has some pretty good weight behind it.
Agree basically Cerny is like a Sr developer who is telling to the clever recently graduated student with no work experience (DF), that theory and practice are not the same in thing like
for example have a process which requires 100% in cpu and gpu all the time, in theory can exist yes but in the practice no one will try have that all time doesn't matter the system, the
games are not stress test for a system instead you should have just one of the side to max power and the other usually are not using all the power.

So for just small moment both will be use to 100%. Cerny could be wrong yeah they could he is human (yeah I know is hard to believe is a human) but Cerny knows more accurately how a
engine work in low level than DF.

Any I said before means PS5 should looks better than XSX, Cerny never said that.

Disco_

Shepshal, so glad you could come and clear up things for us. I have a few questions:

1) Monkeypunch said you guys knew about the github leaks before everyone else. Hmqqq confirmed this. How long before everyone else? Is that why klobrie and colbert were so confident in the 36 cu predictions?
2) How did Colbert and DBB know about the PS5 tflops before the Cerny meeting. I am not implying anything, but DF was the only source that got a briefing in advance.
3) This might seem completely unrelated and out of left field, but When did Dictator join?
4) Amidst this shitstorm, you should open your doors to people who can take part in that discord and report back to the masses that you arent the shitheads everyone is making you guys out to be. Can I get an invite?

Bonus Question:
Why do you guys try and ban everyone by first going into PS threads, starting shit and then mass reporting everyone who takes the bait? Isnt that a shitty thing to do?
Good luck! shpeshal is about as bad as the rest of those clowns.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Thank you monkey punch. I said it before ill say it again, the xbox community is basically a cult at this point. The cult leader is phil and the number "12" is the object of worship.

is he more of a jesus or an L.Ron? I can use some more jesus in my life.

Ascend

there is a limit on cooling.

no one has said that console can run max all the time, or if they have they are wrong. Afaik, They choose profiles because they are working with dev kits. Developers need tools and that is one.

devs prefer it because less work to get max performance. And again, it cannot run max ‘all the time’.
LOL many people have said that the console can run at max performance all the time. Hopefully, they believe you. I have been stating it all this time, and all I get is backlash. People on here do not understand hardware. But everyone has an opinion. And it's not an informed one, but an emotionally charged one based on which brand they prefer...

Last edited:

1) You cannot just increment silicon piece using the same proportional amount of power (knowledge of basic electronics)
2)In the reality the games doesn't use your 100% of cpu and gpu all time but when you are dev you need to check its limits, also the dev kits always are prepare for work more hours
without interruption and can have a better cooling solution because here the size and noise doesn't care
3)Sony use the variable performance to create a cooler solution which will not give problems depending of external temperature and the games doesn't use both chips all
the time to 100% so the dev in PS5 usually will decide to have GPU to 100% and the CPU to some lower level and only 100% when is necessary.

Disco_

Wtf is wrong with them lol
SSD speeds have brought shame to their temple. They must bring honor back to their master.

Man this thread is delivering big time, such a shame about REE cross-forum policy or these idiots would be getting purged within minutes.

M MonkeyPunch B BlackBuzzard I know it's only a matter of time before you two fall on that Discord but let me pay my respects

6YHkDOR.gif
A lot of them got banned. Guessing short slaps on wrist except maybe doncabesa. If he's back though, after what he said, makes you think.

Last edited:
Ill give you a list.
Dukeblueballs
DrKeo
Colbert
c0de
Proven
Shepstal Ed
DocH1X1
Klobrille
Lukastaves
Dictator(Yes hes in that discord now)
FairyEmpire
Doncabesa
Bcatwilly
Brand Sams
Zedox
And more

Not a single surprise on that list. Bless DrKeo, he tried his best to hide it but blew it up by making up a TimDog-esque conspiracy about the PS5 SSD speed being only "peak" numbers while MS was magically able to have theirs fixed. Gulliable Ree members were surprised and were like 'wtf are you talking about?' lol.

lol haha im glad. when it comes to analogies, i say the more insane the better.

i have no idea how DBB allowed himself to get roped into this. i always liked him. hes never going to be taken seriously after this.

I don't mind OG's like Statham b/c they wear it on their sleeve. It's those weirdo's like that Stephen Colbert cosplayer & Duke that try really hard to be fake for some reason.

these guys plus some more not on the list just got banned for concern trolling and mass reporting. Looks like their days of running around getting everyone else in trouble are over.

ROFL:

gfZEKgY.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom