• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PS5 demo was beautiful, but I need to understand something (applying to PS5 only):

1) How can the game run at 4k? What compromises would there have to be?

Right now, the demo is doing 1 TRIANGLE PER 1 PIXEL AT MOST.

I suppose that if they scale the triangle count to about 1 TRIANGLE PER 4 PIXELS, then perhaps they can do 4K instead of 1440 dynamic.

2) How can you increase the frame rate from 30 fps to 60 fps? What compromises would there have to be?

Same answer as the above. Epic was definitely showing off with that demo showing the absolute insane detail that their engine can do.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Does 8K textures mean you get the most out of them on an 8K TV or will it look the same on a 4K TV since that is where the resolution is set?

It's when you get closer to the elements they keep as sharp as possible from close range, we're talking 4-16x times current gen. So they don't get blurry when zoomed in. Not sure they'll use 8K assets though, I'm not sure how big a game would be that way. It has nothing to do with resolution.

Last edited:

pasterpl

It'll not be possible on XSX nor PC, according to the CEO of Epic Games. Let's not assume beyond what the CEO of the company owning UE said.

he didn’t say that it will be not possible on other platforms. Don’t be naive, it is obvious that there is some sort of deal between epic and Sony to promote this. Same with AMD saying that xbsex will be “pinnacle of innovation” when it comes out. Remember, what ps5 can do, “the world’s most powerful console” can do better.:messenger_sunglasses:

Console wars aside, i still doubt that we can can this level of fidelity at 4K 60fps next gen, which is a shame. Cannot wait for ps6 and next Xbox (whatever horrible name ms comes up with next).

Doncabesa

The flying part of the demo was a cutscene, hmm.

49893336642_f1883dd584_h.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
he didn’t say that it will be not possible on other platforms. Don’t be naive, it is obvious that there is some sort of deal between epic and Sony to promote this. Same with AMD saying that xbsex will be “pinnacle of innovation” when it comes out. Remember, what ps5 can do, “the world’s most powerful console” can do better.:messenger_sunglasses:

Console wars aside, i still doubt that we can can this level of fidelity at 4K 60fps next gen, which is a shame. Cannot wait for ps6 and next Xbox (whatever horrible name ms comes up with next).

Who's Tim Sweeney? And why would he suddenly be lying?

TLZ

Banned
I love the nature out there! We got them all and can visit them all in less than 12 hours (sandy/rocky beaches, green/rocky mountains, dirt/sandy deserts (Empty Quarter). I'll be your free tour guide if you ever come here. Cheers, mate ;)

148906.jpg
I will sure want to pay your area a visit one day. Especially that I know I have a nice tour guide there who I can also chat nerdy gaming stuff with, possibly boring my wife and kids in the process :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I will sure want to pay your area a visit one day. Especially that I know I have a nice tour guide there who I can also chat nerdy gaming stuff with, possibly boring my wife and kids in the process :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

The first non-Arabic forum I engaged with was patrol4x4.com which is mostly Australian, I'm there since 2010 haha! All Nissan Patrols from all over the world were there, before it suddenly paled. Most of those naughty offroaders I knew are from Queensland, even sent some GCC-spec stuff from here :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So I feel kinda visited Australia but sadly never did so far. Would be more than happy to be your free tour guide, same to all here even xbox fans:messenger_winking_tongue:

3liteDragon

What you saw there is more like a stress test, pushing PS5 to the full limit that even the 16GB RAM is starting to reach its limit but it doesn't, because the system is smart and adapts accordingly.

With an optimized game you should expect a much more impressive game but with 4K assets not hollywood 8K assets that are used by movie makers and NASA.

You could expect higher resolution with 4K assets for open world games, and probably 8K for linear games just to keep game sizes relevant. Not sure though, all are assumptions and speculations.
In my opinion, knowing that UE5 is a multi-platform engine, I don't even think they're pushing the PS5 hardware to it's limits with this demo, this is the quality you can expect from third-party developers using UE5. This tech demo was IMPRESSIVE to say the least, but I don't think they optimized the demo in any way for the PS5, more like they just built it in-engine with their own SDK's and ran it on a PS5 devkit. I've watched The Road to PS5 video like 6 times now trying to fully understand what Cerny was talking about and based on what I've interpreted from that, this demo doesn't FULLY show off the capabilities of the PlayStation 5's architecture. If you're expecting to see games that FULLY takes advantage of the PS5 hardware, wait until Sony shows off what their first-party studios are working on, I'm willing to bet that whatever they show off will blow this impressive tech demo out of the water. I guarantee it.

TLZ

Banned
The first non-Arabic forum I engaged with was patrol4x4.com which is mostly Australian, I'm there since 2010 haha! All Nissan Patrols from all over the world were there, before it suddenly paled. Most of those naughty offroaders I knew are from Queensland, even sent some GCC-spec stuff from here :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So I feel kinda visited Australia but sadly never did so far. Would be more than happy to be your free tour guide, same to all here even xbox fans:messenger_winking_tongue:
I'm Australian AND Arab too my friend ;)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
In my opinion, knowing that UE5 is a multi-platform engine, I don't even think they're pushing the PS5 hardware to it's limits with this demo, this is the quality you can expect from third-party developers using UE5. This tech demo was IMPRESSIVE to say the least, but I don't think they optimized the demo in any way for the PS5, more like they just built it in-engine with their own SDK's and ran it on a PS5 devkit. I've watched The Road to PS5 video like 6 times now trying to fully understand what Cerny was talking about and based on what I've interpreted from that, this demo doesn't FULLY show off the capabilities of the PlayStation 5's architecture. If you're expecting to see games that FULLY takes advantage of the PS5 hardware, wait until Sony shows off what their first-party studios are working on, I'm willing to bet that whatever they show off will blow this impressive tech demo out of the water. I guarantee it.

Agree with you, they just thrown all the assets there and the system is smart enough to pick up what's needed. Results are solid for the first photorealistic gameplay ever with dynamic resolution between 1440p-4K range. Sony 1st party, the masters of gaming, haven't yet shown what's under their sleeves.

But pushing the system to its limits I'm talking about the 8K assets, they still need some rendering. Ridiculous amount of polygons, mind blowing to say the least. The game would still be stunning with 4K assets and could use more resolution and fps while at it.

Here, take a look, timestamped, watch it for at least 1-2 minutes:

Note: PS5 was using the raw assets as they are! No optimization. At 6:22 he talked about 8K assets compared to 4K and that 8K was an overkill. So I guess it's more of a torture test for PS5.

Last edited:

xacto

sounds more like another comment from Phil's PR book. in his comment i see two comments, one is until And and second part is after that. they are trying so hard with #metoo movement.
at this point in time even if PS5 would fart, Phil and greenberg would came out and would say, me too, our fart even has the Exclusive sound :D

No matter how you look at it, the fact that Epic presented their new engine on PS5 was not lost as a message sent to Microsoft. Yes, they can try to rebound from it any way they see fit from "but this is going to run on Xbox as well" to "it will look way better on the world's most powerful console"... but it's just damage control at this point, even if the above mentioned 'reasons' are real.

I don't expect any kind of emotional intelligence from "the place that will not be named" or the likes of Timdog and Co. but looking at Spencer and Greenberg's reaction I just realized they're in almost the same spot as their... admirers. If they are so adamant about their box, this kind of knee jerk reaction shouldn't even take place; aside from rabid fan boys (on both sides) mostly everyone knows that yes, it will look and run the same for Xbox, in some instances a bit better, in other cases a bit worse, but nothing world-changing.

But looking at these people with their positions well established in Microsoft hierarchy and their reactions makes me a bit apprehensive about their PR capabilities, and it's sad. The level they're at, we shouldn't even have this kind of behavior, but apparently Twitter dumbs everyone down. Common denominator works best, I guess?

farmerboy

Anyone remember that quote/rumour about Horizon ZD2, that went a long the lines of "Aloy's character model now has more polygons than every character model from Horizon ZD combined"?

After watching Unreal 5's tech showcase, I'm starting to believe it.

I think it was Moores Law is Dead

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
PLAYSTATION 5: WHAT DO GAME DEVELOPERS THINK?

JACK ATTRIDGE – DIRECTOR OF VIDEO GAMES AT FLAVOURWORKS

In a nutshell the SSD is the important thing. We’ve had SSDs in our smartphones for years and it’s key to why a billion lay people are able to use them. It all boils down to the responsiveness when loading a new app or a big photo or video file. In games, that means we can create experiences where we are feeding new content to the player faster, which is great for immersion but can also open up new creative innovations. When we’re talking about pushing nicer graphics with better GPUs we are getting diminishing returns. The jump from PS1 to PS2 will always feel greater to me than what we can expect now, but that extra 5% costs a lot more in development time and resource.

I have previously said that art direction is actually more important than raw graphical power. CPU is also maybe seen as a second class citizen, but in terms of gameplay innovation, the amount of things that can happen in a game simulation is more exciting to me than how pretty they look. These are huge simplifications of course and I won’t pretend to be a big tech guy, but for me it’s about how we unlock more innovative gameplay experiences above trying to achieve photorealistic graphics, of which I think games have been doing a good job at that for a while. Then the real promising area is streaming games, like with Stadia.

The opportunity for cloud computing and streaming multiple feeds of gameplay is surely a goldmine of creative potential. I’m sure we will have some nice VR experiences next gen but for me once you’ve experienced something like ILM’s The Void experience, it is clear that the future of VR likely lies in theme parks where the physical space can be designed so that texture, smell, temperature, and local cooperative experiences can be fine tuned.”

rntongo

Banned
The SFS is a good solution but first you put an extreme case, second is not like doesn't exists something similar already in PS4 'Partially Resident Textures' and probably also
the Xbox one hast it, SFS is an evolution not something which never was used in some way.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/6
tiqLRMw.jpg

I said I'm sure the PS5 has a similar implementation for SF, its the SFS and all the extra hardware that seems unlikely ! Considering the use of Partially Resident Textures in the PS4 and Xbox One, it would make sense that they have a newer method. My whole argument was that the SFS hardware, which is comprised of other yet to be announced components(Besides SF) gives the XSX a significant advantage in terms of texture streaming. Unless the PS5 has an equivalent system. Even PC GPUs with Sampler Feedback won't have the same level of performance.

Sampler Feedback is one part of SFS

Sampler Feedback providing more efficient streaming of virtual memory pages, which the PS4 and Xbox One could do

If the PS5 GPU has equivalent hardware like SFS then indeed there will be PS5 games that cannot be made on the XSX without significant trickery.

pasterpl

Who's Tim Sweeney? And why would he suddenly be lying?

I am not saying he is lying but...

aclar00

Mind blown 😯

I did not....i had OG PS1 with composite female connectors directly on the system 😉
Epic has been close with PS for a while, all the exclusive fornite skins and whatnot

Kind of misread that as foreskin given the context of the relationship
I hope so. The whole "Stargate" method with instant load to other completely unique looking worlds will be, EPIC!

Funny you should mentioned
Games are installed to the SSD so they dont deal withing loading and reading data from discs.

Speaking of...im a disc guy, so i wonder what kind of UHD drive speed we'll get. I'd like to see an avg 20% game instalation reduction. Main drawback of this and next gen.

FeiRR

Banned
If the PS5 GPU has equivalent hardware like SFS then indeed there will be PS5 games that cannot be made on the XSX without significant trickery.
The UE demo uses film-quality 8k assets, which includes textures "thanks to virtual texturing" (a quote from the beginning of the video). This means they do have a way to load only parts of them. We're talking about less than 16 GB of VRAM. Just one 8k texture is almost 100 MB uncompressed. I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of them in that demo.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I am not saying he is lying but...

So checking again, the stunning Rebirth short trailer was using toned-down 4K assets to run 4K@24fps on 1080Ti cinematic, that gameplay demo was using raw, an optimized 8K Hollywood-level assets chocking billions and billions of triangles up to 1 triangle per pixel! That's movie level, and it's running in real time gameplay. So toning down that to 4K without touching anything would easily make it run at 4K@30-60fps.

Did you get the bigger picture? About Hellblade 2, it's doable with scaled down assets that would be most of the time unnoticed in most scenarios in favor of resolution and FPS.

rntongo

Banned
The UE demo uses film-quality 8k assets, which includes textures "thanks to virtual texturing" (a quote from the beginning of the video). This means they do have a way to load only parts of them. We're talking about less than 16 GB of VRAM. Just one 8k texture is almost 100 MB uncompressed. I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of them in that demo.

That's impressive and I look forward to finding out more.

3liteDragon

What bothers me is the amount of people that fall for Microsoft's marketing spins and people like this guy who parrot that bullshit (timestamped below), who also goes on say that the PS5's TFLOPs count varies between 10.28 to 9 TFLOPs even though that's not the case. That quote he reads from Jason Ronald is CLEARLY a reaction to how Sony's been talking about removing bottlenecks with the custom SSD and etc. One other thing that caught my attention was regarding the VRAM feature Microsoft first mentioned when they revealed the full specs back in March. Nothing I read about that made any sense to me at all, like having 100GB of assets INSTANTLY ready to be used by developers through the SSD even though the SSD speeds told a different story. Then I watched Cerny's GDC talk two days later and I IMMEDIATELY realized what Microsoft was doing from the get-go, getting ahead of the narrative. Because of the PS5's insane SSD speeds, along with the fact that due to those kind of speeds, RAM has to only contain data that's gonna be used for the next 1 second of gameplay, you can pretty much say the SSD is technically like 800GB of DDR2-667 RAM (peak bandwidth of 5.3GB/s, 0.2GB/s behind the PS5's SSD bandwidth when loading uncompressed data). That explains why you can stream assets with insane level of detail pretty much on the fly, then I understood what Microsoft was trying to say, even though (let's be honest here) their SSD isn't actually capable of having 100GB of assets instantly ready for streaming. Same thing with Xbox Velocity Architecture which is pretty much all the I/O related features they announced grouped under one name. It isn't some highly customized architecture purely dedicated to managing I/O throughput, the name just makes it sound like that because MS got wind of what Sony was doing early on with their SSD tech, just my opinion.

GArKBZF.png

Last edited:

Zzpaff

Someone mentioned a few days ago about whether Microsoft was more proactive or reactive, it would react to the absurd, they have had the good fortune to be in the right place at the right time with their operating system, but they are never at the forefront of anything, it seems that they are always late with everything, and it is that there are not a few who think that this “monopoly” has been to some extent a drag on the advancement of computing, they have been running a marketing campaign since 2019, which seems to be led by a group of friends and they are scared to see something divert their focus to another side with such ease that there they are at the foot of a tweet, that the rumor that ps5 appears at ces, there is phill, showing the dice, that if ssd + Kraken, ah we forgot to mention bcpak, that if a real v on ps5 this, we also, this gives us a clear image, and it is that at the end of the day it does not matter when things are shown, if not what is shown, a thing is clear, or this works or phill is going to be don matrick's secretary soon ... and now a question I have, soni you can always increase the number of cu and ram in a pro, for higher performance or resolution, you can microsof do the same with the ssd in a future version xx without it detriment to series x? remember that the ps5 ssd has more raw capacity than compressed series x, I wonder why I don't know if it would work the same way as increasing the cu ... or it could just be done and you would only see a little more popping in series x for example ,

I said I'm sure the PS5 has a similar implementation for SF, its the SFS and all the extra hardware that seems unlikely ! Considering the use of Partially Resident Textures in the PS4 and Xbox One, it would make sense that they have a newer method. My whole argument was that the SFS hardware, which is comprised of other yet to be announced components(Besides SF) gives the XSX a significant advantage in terms of texture streaming. Unless the PS5 has an equivalent system. Even PC GPUs with Sampler Feedback won't have the same level of performance.

Sampler Feedback is one part of SFS

Sampler Feedback providing more efficient streaming of virtual memory pages, which the PS4 and Xbox One could do

Well, with UE5 what you need is good vertices compression and good IO speed to feed them to the GPU. PS5's SSD is a vertices launcher cannon, and mesh data compresses greatly, Kraken is a perfect fit for the job, plus cache scrubbers to not make the GPU L2's crawl continuously on changing the vertex data.
This plus primitive shaders speed for culling it all make PS5 a polygon dream machine.
And thats why 10 tflops are enough, their main purpose is computing lighting of those polygons in real time. No more normal maps shader programs needed, real trigonometry on screen without fakery.
Is a paradigm shift, but, but... SSD wont inprove open worlds! ;)

Last edited:
What bothers me is the amount of people that fall for Microsoft's marketing spins and people like this guy who parrot that bullshit (timestamped below), who also goes on say that the PS5's TFLOPs count varies between 10.28 to 9 TFLOPs even though that's not the case. That quote he reads from Jason Ronald is CLEARLY a reaction to how Sony's been talking about removing bottlenecks with the custom SSD and etc. One other thing that caught my attention was regarding the VRAM feature Microsoft first mentioned when they revealed the full specs back in March. Nothing I read about that made any sense to me at all, like having 100GB of assets INSTANTLY ready to be used by developers through the SSD even though the SSD speeds told a different story. Then I watched Cerny's GDC talk two days later and I IMMEDIATELY realized what Microsoft was doing from the get-go, getting ahead of the narrative. Because of the PS5's insane SSD speeds, along with the fact that due to those kind of speeds, RAM has to only contain data that's gonna be used for the next 1 second of gameplay, you can pretty much say the SSD is technically like 800GB of DDR2-667 RAM (peak bandwidth of 5.3GB/s, 0.2GB/s behind the PS5's SSD bandwidth when loading uncompressed data). That explains why you can stream assets with insane level of detail pretty much on the fly, then I understood what Microsoft was trying to say, even though (let's be honest here) their SSD isn't actually capable of having 100GB of assets instantly ready for streaming. Same thing with Xbox Velocity Architecture which is pretty much all the I/O related features they announced grouped under one name. It isn't some highly customized architecture purely dedicated to managing I/O throughput, the name just makes it sound like that because MS got wind of what Sony was doing early on with their SSD tech, just my opinion.

GArKBZF.png

Colt and dealer and windoes central are all ms pr. They lie on purpose for MS . So no they didn't fall for MS pr. They are MS pr. U got that part wrong. So they create fake stuff and spread it among their fans

Nevaeh

GArKBZF.png

Stop giving him attention ffs

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Regarding the Unreal 5 demo. Anybody played it on their home theatre system or high end headphones?

There’s something going on here, it sounded very full and detailed compared to most things.

Yes, only cheap, but good sony headphones. The sound is just great but won't be as great as from PS5 itself. That's just a little tease of the mighty tempest!

I wonder what were the "other elements" Sony implemented in its architecture Sweeny refered to. More L2 cache?, more geometry engines?. Improvement in cpu and gpu memory eviction?. The Redgamingtech mentioned common L3 for the two cpu clusters?.
What it seems clear is all innovations went to the data management.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
We now have undeniable proof that this isn't true. UE is the most popular game engine in the world and Sweeney flat out said they partnered with Sony to ensure that the engine takes as much advantage of Sony's SSD architecture as possible. Of course first party games will always be able to optimize the most, but make no mistake, third party devs will be utilizing the unique capabilities of the PS5 as well.
This is a dev's impression on the other site:

XM0pRVl.jpg

All I can say is brace yourselves for the next gen.
Also, I don't know if any of you know this yet, but this in the video below is another great thing happening imo:

DrKeo

Once EPIC decided to pick the PS5 for the demo of course it became a collaboration. Absolutely.

But what you were saying was that it was sponsored, and that there was no reason for the PS5 being picked to showcase these specific aspects of U5. You’re basically saying Sony paid for this without anything to back it up. You got nothing.
Sweeney said they worked with Sony to optimize the engine for the PS5 but that's not the same as them sponsoring the video. You accuse him of being naive but you're be purposely ignorant. If this thing was a real deal sponsorship as you're touting it, Sony would have been hyping up the event ahead of time and posting it on their socials afterwards. NONE of which they did. Outside of Herman Hulst (who would have NOTHING to do with any potential "sponsorship" with Epic) even commented on it.

And before you start, yes I also believe this demo could have been on XSX (albeit optimized for it's specific advantages). Stop pushing this sponsorship/marketing theory. It has no evidence and it's disingenuous.
So let me get this straight, you are saying that once we see this demo running on PC or XSX, it will look worse, right? This is a demo tailored 100% around the PS5, an Unreal demo, the most multi platform engine ever?

This is a partnership with Sony, just like the elemental demo. Call it whatever you like, it doesn’t mean Sony has paid them litterly, partnership can mean a lot of things. Why do you think everyone at Epic avoided talking about the XSX yesterday as if it’s Voldemort?

I guess we will have to make a mental note of this and get back to it once we see the demo running on something else in order to compare or at least see some multi platform games. running on both.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Some people seems to believe that the SX version of the demo would look like this:
Gameplay_Ocarina_of_Time.png

And that’s just ridiculous. I’ve been advocating about how important the IO in PS5 is but that doesn’t mean that the SX doesn’t have a good one too. There are diminishing returns to what the eye can perceive, specially at high speed. If an asset doesn’t have 6 billion polys but 2 none of you are going to notice that until DF makes a video, pauses the action and do a 800x zoom.

You're leaving out one important thing and that's Sampler Feedback Streaming hardware. Even if the XSX is only able to push 4.8GB/s I/O bandwidth, it can have a multiplier effect(2-3x) of between 9.6GB/s to 14.4GB/s by using SFS. That's actually the XVA's killer feature, not even BCPack. So it can stream the equivalent of what an SSD of 9.6GB/s streams(i.e the PS5) or even higher. I'm sure and hope Sony has employed some techniques for efficient texture streaming that could improve this but I highly doubt it will reach the level of XSX due to the custom hardware.

I’m leaving that out because Sampler Feedback is part of AMD, and SFS from what Microsoft has said is just having a lower MIP level available if what is being fetched isn’t ready in time. Something not applicable to this demo as it used full quality assets throughout.
The major part of Sampler Feedback that people like to bring up—of only requesting the part of the texture needed—isn’t unique to XSX.

XSX categorically cannot stream the same amount of data as PS5. SFS and BCPack doesn’t come close to bridging the gap. The fact the raw speed is 2.4GB/s and the compressed speed is a neat doubling while they quote BCPack as being around 50% compression suggests that 4.8GB/s is best case scenario, like how internet speeds are sold.

The unique to Microsoft aspect of SFS is a crutch to help with higher latency, not a bandwidth multiplier.

Lethal01

I don't know what you're talking about! I was just saying that the PS5 SSD is impressive but the SFS in the XSX GPU could enable it to use at least half the RAM the PS5 uses for textures while producing the same results. An example given by a MSFT dev would mean streaming only a 1/4 of a texture and saving 75% of the space you would have used in RAM. Look at how much of a game install(spiderman for example) is texture data and you understand how important SFS is if it can achieve such efficiency.

VUhfYMs.png

Seems useful but could be very situational and not usable for the nanite/lumen systems. Who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom