• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's quite interesting. Are they preparing for a new revision of the Platinum headsets that should utilize The Tempest engine complex audio? It's not like the current one isn't compatible, it already supports 3D Audio. Maybe they'll push the bitrate range and make it more responsive and premium as most people say it's near identical to Gold right now.

New-Doc-2020-02-05-20.38.48_1-scaled.jpg

5619302cv14d.jpg

You can replace the pads with aftermarket ones:

d045b48e-9405-4a65-8359-cb52e1ee99bb.jpg

HTB121VMbyjrK1RjSsplq6xHmVXak.jpg

61KtCbXZcgL._AC_SL1181_.jpg

I highly regret buying Astro A40+mixer over it.
I have Platinums from where can I get aftermarket cushions? Some of them look more comfier.

When talking about high end, you should bring Sony's WH-1000XM3 to the table, that still the best noise cancelling headset in the market. Problem with it it's not compatible with PS4, doesn't work as suppose to. I think the new PS Platinum headset might burrow from it the Sony's LDAC tech that makes 3x better sound quality via bluetooth:

I can see Sony supporting its own tech on PS5 this time around, with the heavy focus on audio in general on PS5. That'll make high-end headsets supporting LDAC to be a really viable option for hardcore gamers. Either way, current gen quality sounds are considered shit compared to PS3!

http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sony.com.au%2Fproduct%2Fresources%2Fen_AU%2Fimages%2FOverview%2Fhome_audio%2FSTR-DN1060%2Fimages%2Fhigh_quality_wireless_streaming.jpg

Imagine playing with much high quality sound. LDAC, although it's a Sony tech, is not exclusive to Sony products so you might see it on XSX. I'm eagerly waiting for the new WH-1000XM4, but the bigger drivers on PS headset might be better for punchier bass.

They might even be using it for their PS brand wireless headsets. BT is just tech that carries the sound, is it specified in anyway for headsets that use it?

I wonder if a discord group of toxic PS fans exist where they strategically plan on putting out fake FUD rumours about their favourite plastic box because I have not seen any.

They could exist but I haven't seen any proof of that yet. However we did see screenshots of that Xbox discord group so I do know there's a FUD campaign driven by fanboys in the media right now.

Edit: I would also like to add that this hasn't stopped yet because people keep creating accounts to spread FUD. Thanks to Ascend Ascend for showing that to us.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have Platinums from where can I get aftermarket cushions? Some of them look more comfier.

Here:

Just search for "Sony Playstation headset ear pads" and you'll find many things on the web.

That's quite interesting. Are they preparing for a new revision of the Platinum headsets that should utilize The Tempest engine complex audio? It's not like the current one isn't compatible, it already supports 3D Audio. Maybe they'll push the bitrate range and make it more responsive and premium as most people say it's near identical to Gold right now.

5619302cv14d.jpg

I will buy their new revision for PS5

Andodalf

Banned
You didn't seem to answer any of my points. There has not been a intentional and agressive effort of spreading constant dis-information about the Series X by PS fans or on the level that has been done by Xbox fanboys. People can say whatever they want on forums but the BS fake FUD rumours spread by fanatic Xbox fanboys actually went viral on Twitter which resulted in a good number of industry insiders and analysts like Jason Schrier and others to call bullshit on these fake rumours and there was a huge controversy.

I wonder if a discord group of toxic PS fans exist where they strategically plan on putting out fake FUD rumours about their favourite plastic box because I have not seen any.

Maybe accusing anyone who says anything positive about MS of spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt, is itself an intentional campaign of fear, uncertainty, and doubt? 🤔

THE:MILKMAN

It could be that the Chihuahua wanted to be heard before the big dog started barking.

I always had a feeling that once Sony started to talk the public would start focusing on them more.

I don't think it could be that bad in the worse case. I just think after they confirmed their own games showcase to be July and then Epic/Sony showed the UE5 demo, now is the time to brag about your own innovations with the likes of XVA and/or other stuff they have. Going quiet is the exact opposite of what they should be doing right now.

Gediminas

Banned
I’m not being disingenuous, I resent that claim/accusation.

I really disagree with this. You don’t think people who put up videos of pro XsX content don’t get dogpiled? You don’t see FUD both ways? At least two people in this thread told me that the UE5 demo straight up cannot run on the XsX. It’s happening everywhere.

Just because something doesn’t fit your agenda doesn’t make it disingenuous. As far as fanaticism, I mean some people freak out over any pro-XsX comment or reply around here, and yes same goes for PS5.

Playing the victim card is bullshit. It works both fuckin’ ways. There are plenty of examples of it working both ways in this very thread. Claiming it’s only a one way street seems extremely ignorant, at best. Don’t be blinded by your one-sided allegiance. Just look around.
what are you trying to say here? that you are reaching? or that you out of touch? can't decide..

FeiRR

Banned

That's something I'd like to know too. I mean, if they release a new headset along PS5, I'd wait for it. I never used Gold so I can't tell anything how they compare. Before Platinum I had the previous budget version called 2.0 and the difference is night and day. Platinum allows you to hear exactly where the source is, not only in 360 panorama but also up and down. Of course it depends on the game but most shooters work really well (with Titanfall 2 being phenomenal like you can hear bullet casings drop to your feet with different sounds for each surface you're on). Some of my MP pals bought Astros and similar gaming brands and most of them have some small annoyances.

Those replacement pads, where did you find them? Is that an international shop I could order from? My pads are worn and peeling off, I'd definitely replace them. There are more problems, though. The USB transmitter has problems because I switch them often now (I use them for work too) and battery has been charged probably around 1000 times. Anyway, the headset served me well, just like about every Sony product I've had (except for Xperia phones, some of them were really shitty).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
They might even be using it for their PS brand wireless headsets. BT is just tech that carries the sound, is it specified in anyway for headsets that use it?

Yup, it should specify that it supports LDAC tech, which is the superior wireless tech so far but few are still catching up. Some of the supported headsets:

- Sony WH-1000MX3 (better wait for the new one XM4 that should be released this year, I guess). Still the best.
- Sony WH-XB900n, cheaper cousin of the above.
- Panasonic RP-HD605N-K.
- Sony WI-1000x.
- Audeze Mobius.

There might be more than those, so better search.

More into it:

Gamernyc78

Banned
You didn't seem to answer any of my points. There has not been a intentional and agressive effort of spreading constant dis-information about the Series X by PS fans or on the level that has been done by Xbox fanboys. People can say whatever they want on forums but the BS fake FUD rumours spread by fanatic Xbox fanboys actually went viral on Twitter which resulted in a good number of industry insiders and analysts like Jason Schrier and others to call bullshit on these fake rumours and there was a huge controversy.

And you won't because thts not their narrative. We all agree Xbox gpu is more powerful and I hvnt seem any fud in tht regard. It's just man children being insecure of Sony's lighting fast SSD solution.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

5619302cv14d.jpg

Damn bro thnks for the idea my gold Sony headphones are peeling but work perfectly. Any idea on ones I could use to replace my peeling ones?

Here:

Just search for "Sony Playstation headset ear pads" and you'll find many things on the web.
OK that one was for Gold Headsets but found the Platinum one from the similar items. Didn't know I could replace the pads on these bu there is a market for everything it seems. Really happy with my headset and this will breathe new life into it since there were some some small bits coming off of the cushions, I put it around my neck when not in use or while editing on PC and my stub beard was slowly wearing it down. Thanks

Gamernyc78

Banned

5619302cv14d.jpg

Found a diff pair on Amazon as soon as I asked you but thnks 😊anyway

Gamernyc78

Banned
There might very well be community bubbles of PS fanatics, but for better or for worse, Sony execs are not handing them a megaphone.

This too, yet u have some xbox execs liking or cosigning outlandish shit tht these full of shit fanatics say even when thy know its a lie but then again lying and ambiguity in Microsoft has been part of their culture even with execs lying and getting caught out there.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
I don't think it could be that bad in the worse case. I just think after they confirmed their own games showcase to be July and then Epic/Sony showed the UE5 demo, now is the time to brag about your own innovations with the likes of XVA and/or other stuff they have. Going quiet is the exact opposite of what they should be doing right now.
Microsoft have talked about pretty much everything regarding the specs already. What more do you think they should be sharing?

I don't know if this patents were already share it here.

Rendering of virtual hand pose based on detected hand input:
https://patents.google.com/patent/U...q=Sony+Interactive+Entertainment+Inc&sort=new

oylu6Ni.png

Control
https://patents.google.com/patent/U...q=Sony+Interactive+Entertainment+Inc&sort=new

ZbFDgcT.png

As shown in FIGS. 1 and 7, the left and right grips 12 are each provided with an operating button 35. The operating buttons 35 are provided at inside surfaces of the left and right grips 12. Specifically, the operating buttons 35 are provided respectively at the right side surface of the left-side grip 12 and at the left side surface of the right-side grip 12. This layout of the operating buttons 35 enables the user to press the operating button 35 with a finger for gripping the grip (for example, with the third finger). The operating buttons 35 are shaped to be elongate in the vertical direction. This permits the user to press the operating button 35 more easily.

Leyasu

Banned
Are you talking about me? If so, please post a link when "I told you that the UE5 demo straight up cannot run on the XsX"

They only thing I posted was this. Is this the fud you are talking about?

Cvy8GTo.jpg

If true, then PC gamers with an already decent GPU that is around the level of the next-gen consoles don't need to upgrade for this years new beasts from AMD or Nvidia. They need to be upgrading their SSDs to the fastest possible on the market to take advantage of the U5 engine..

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Are you talking about me? If so, please post a link when "I told you that the UE5 demo straight up cannot run on the XsX"

They only thing I posted was this. Is this the fud you are talking about?

Cvy8GTo.jpg

Trolls reaching are trying to say Sony fans stated UE5 demo can't run on nextbox which isn't what ppl said. Thy said its a big possibility the geometry and assets would be worse or it wouldnt run as good on nextbox due to Sony's lighting, superior ssd implementation.

THE:MILKMAN

Microsoft have talked about pretty much everything regarding the specs already. What more do you think they should be sharing?

Mostly details around XVA which they've hinted about but apparently still have NDAs in place and said they will talk more about it in the future.

Why not reveal some of the goodies now to take a bit of wind out PS5's current momentum? That's what I would do!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Damn bro thnks for the idea my gold Sony headphones are peeling but work perfectly. Any idea on ones I could use to replace my peeling ones?

You can always use genuine-like ones as well. Here you can replace everything on your headset, you just choose:

And here is the manual of the Platinum on how to change them, page 13:

OK that one was for Gold Headsets but found the Platinum one from the similar items. Didn't know I could replace the pads on these bu there is a market for everything it seems. Really happy with my headset and this will breathe new life into it since there were some some small bits coming off of the cushions, I put it around my neck when not in use or while editing on PC and my stub beard was slowly wearing it down. Thanks

You're welcome, mate :messenger_winking_tongue: 👍

That's something I'd like to know too. I mean, if they release a new headset along PS5, I'd wait for it. I never used Gold so I can't tell anything how they compare. Before Platinum I had the previous budget version called 2.0 and the difference is night and day. Platinum allows you to hear exactly where the source is, not only in 360 panorama but also up and down. Of course it depends on the game but most shooters work really well (with Titanfall 2 being phenomenal like you can hear bullet casings drop to your feet with different sounds for each surface you're on). Some of my MP pals bought Astros and similar gaming brands and most of them have some small annoyances.

Those replacement pads, where did you find them? Is that an international shop I could order from? My pads are worn and peeling off, I'd definitely replace them. There are more problems, though. The USB transmitter has problems because I switch them often now (I use them for work too) and battery has been charged probably around 1000 times. Anyway, the headset served me well, just like about every Sony product I've had (except for Xperia phones, some of them were really shitty).

Yup, here as well if you liked the original ones, you can use fabric as well or different colors:

The Gold is coded as:
CECHYA-0083
While the Platinum is:
CECHYA-0090

By the way, Titanfal 2 was using heavy audio files:

With the new compression methods, they can squeeze those into new games and take full advantage of them! It's not enough to melt our eyes, we need to melt our ear drums.:lollipop_tears_of_joy: I'll wait and see if PS5 will support LDAC, or just wait for their new headset anyway. See some comparison between it and XM3/XM4 premium ones.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
That's where my really big issue is. So these Microsoft execs are giving support to those members of that Discord group. Which is crazy because of I was them I wouldn't even pay attention to people like Tim Dog, Dealer or Colt. It really makes me question Xbox as a division.

Thy let the biggest troller of all have a mic lol mistermedia x so why would thy stop now?

Gamernyc78

Banned
You can always use genuine-like ones as well. Here you can replace everything on your headset, you just choose:

And here is the manual of the Platinum on how to change them, page 13:

You're welcome, mate :messenger_winking_tongue: 👍

Yup, here as well if you liked the original ones, you can use fabric as well or different colors:

The Gold is coded as:
CECHYA-0083
While the Platinum is:
CECHYA-0090

By the way, Titanfal 2 was using heavy sound files:

With the new compression methods, they can squeeze those into new games and take full advantage of them! It's not enough to melt our eyes, we need to melt our ear drums.:lollipop_tears_of_joy: I'll wait and see if PS5 will support LDAC, or just wait for their new headset anyway. See some comparison between it and XM3/XM4 premium ones.

Yeah ordered some Amazon ones for my golds. My babies are going to be just like new 😊

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Mostly details around XVA which they've hinted about but apparently still have NDAs in place and said they will talk more about it in the future.

Why not reveal some of the goodies now to take a bit of wind out PS5's current momentum? That's what I would do!
I think even they know that they cannot take the wind out of sonys sails regarding the SSD. Perhaps they dont feel that it is necessary either? Who knows

Leyasu

Banned
Trolls reaching are trying to say Sony fans stated UE5 demo can't run on nextbox which isn't what ppl said. Thy said its a big possibility the geometry and assets would be worse or it wouldnt run as good on nextbox due to Sony's lighting, superior ssd implementation.
Which would in turn mean that the whole GPU business's of Nvidia and AMD are under threat. As upgrading your graphics card is not going to give as much as upgrading your SSD in the future if this is the case going forward.

I'm amazed that nobody saw a future where geometry, assets and texture quality were going to be determined by the storage and the not the graphics card.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Which would in turn mean that the whole GPU business's of Nvidia and AMD are under threat. As upgrading your graphics card is not going to give as much as upgrading your SSD in the future if this is the case going forward.

I'm amazed that no-one saw a future where geometry, assets and texture quality were going to be determined by the storage and the not the graphics card.

It's about both and many examples have been thrown around by forum dwellers and experts alike. It's like saying only important thing in a car is its engine but not its wheels or any other aspect. Upgrade your engine all you want but if you don't have good transmission, tires, etc all is for naught.

Leyasu

Banned
It's about both and many examples have been thrown around by forum dwellers and experts alike. It's like saying only important thing in a car is its engine but not its wheels or any other aspect. Upgrade your engine all you want but if you don't have good transmission, tires, etc all is for naught.
Indeed. But that still leaves the question open.

If what is getting touted is true, then people shouldn't be rushing out and buying new GPUs. They should be investing inthe best SSDs that are available. If not, they run the risk of having compromised games no?

Gamernyc78

Banned
Indeed. But that still leaves the question open.

If what is getting touted is true, then people shouldn't be rushing out and buying new GPUs. They should be investing inthe best SSDs that are available. If not, they run the risk of having compromised games no?

No, I agree. Imo it's about prioritizing and what needs the most upgrading which of course it's up to individual rigs. As your mentioning based off what we are hearing pc players will definitely have to prioritize spending money on faster and better ssds.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Does nobody on gaf speak Chinese? I woulda thought with how many people there are there’s be at least one who could translate it directly for us. It’s crazy how this event in China is basically like it took place in another world, even Tim seemed to have no idea it happened until after the fact.

There was a Chinese member among use months back, not sure if he's still around but I don't remember his account.

When talking about high end, you should bring Sony's WH-1000XM3 to the table, that still the best noise cancelling headset in the market. Problem with it it's not compatible with PS4, doesn't work as suppose to. I think the new PS Platinum headset might burrow from it the Sony's LDAC tech that makes 3x better sound quality via bluetooth:

I can see Sony supporting its own tech on PS5 this time around, with the heavy focus on audio in general on PS5. That'll make high-end headsets supporting LDAC to be a really viable option for hardcore gamers. Either way, current gen quality sounds are considered shit compared to PS3!

http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sony.com.au%2Fproduct%2Fresources%2Fen_AU%2Fimages%2FOverview%2Fhome_audio%2FSTR-DN1060%2Fimages%2Fhigh_quality_wireless_streaming.jpg

Imagine playing with much high quality sound. LDAC, although it's a Sony tech, is not exclusive to Sony products so you might see it on XSX. I'm eagerly waiting for the new WH-1000XM4, but the bigger drivers on PS headset might be better for punchier bass.

Honestly, as much as I would like to, because of the quality, I don't see Microsoft utilizing LDAC. I hope I'm wrong, but given how much they've talked about latency (big thing when they were talking about the controller), they might go with something like aptX Adaptive. aptX HD, I would say that's the sure bet, but again, with all their talk about latency, Adaptive could work well for them.

Corndog

Banned
Define what part of the statement was console warring though... what is being disputed? That the demo relied heavily on a data set bigger than what you can normally store in RAM and thus stresses SSD I/O?

Is this being up for discussion really and which part?

The part that was quoted hence why I commented.

Honestly, as much as I would like to, because of the quality, I don't see Microsoft utilizing LDAC. I hope I'm wrong, but given how much they've talked about latency (big thing when they were talking about the controller), they might go with something like aptX Adaptive. aptX HD, I would say that's the sure bet, but again, with all their talk about latency, Adaptive could work well for them.

I think the talk about latency regarding the controller is because it was something they didn’t do as good a job on last time compared to Sony.
There’s a table someone put together for Rocket League measuring the latencies of all the controllers using an Arduino as a baseline.
DualShock 4 in Bluetooth mode came out on top by a decent margin. If Microsoft have equalled or bettered it, they’ve done a great job. Same goes for DualSense. I hope Sony haven’t downgraded on that.

B_Boss

This video made me wonder, where is the Microsoft GDC talk addressing the finer details about their own harware?

When those gaps are going to be covered?👇

PS. Keeping people in the dark about SSD storage system, when they even showed the form factor and DF made like 10 videos about the Series X for them, is ridiculous at this point.

I’ve been wondering this too but I’ve seen comments (and some of the data via MS interviews, etc) that suggests that there is really no need for such a presentation? I’m not sure though. Excluding immature comparative reasons, I would love to see a focused “deep dive” on the Series X.

At least two people in this thread told me that the UE5 demo straight up cannot run on the XsX.

Anyone who expresses such specific logic needs to have their head (logic) examined. I don’t care if they’re pro Sony, Nintendo, PC or Xbox. Technical facts, critical thinking and analysis or sound logic doesn’t discriminate.

Last edited:
My brother lives in China and his wife is Chinese. Not sure if I could get her to do something frivolous like this though.

They also need to understand what is being talked about and how the questions being asked were framed, too.

There are English speaking people that can watch an English language video like Road to PS5 and not only misunderstand something, but claim it makes the opposite point.

Even in this thread we have people saying Cerny says no load screens, stripped of the context of what came before, where he’s talking about a new kind of rendering that would enable it, while also later saying it’s a goal to have no load screens.

Speaking plain English, misinterpreted, badly comprehended on just plain quote-mined from people that speak the same language as him.

I remember trying to ask my wife to translate a Japanese router’s web interface for me so I could see what the fault was, and even though should could read all the words and know what they mean individually, she hadn’t got a clue what any of it really was saying or meant.

In casual conversation with leading questions there’s a lot of context that is assumed that gets lost when you ask one person to translate one line for you.

Last edited:

HAL-01

Who said I was upset? And no Sweeney did not say that. It’s a false narrative pushed as part of console warring.
Well it’s clearly upsetting you since you’re complaining about it. I don’t see which part is false. The part where it’s streaming a lot of data? The part where he said ps5s Ssd and IO is really tightly engineered? Nothing he said is inflammatory and 100% lines up with what Cerny and Sweeney said.

I swear some people just can’t stand to hear even the suggestion that ps5 may be good at something.

I think the talk about latency regarding the controller is because it was something they didn’t do as good a job on last time compared to Sony.
There’s a table someone put together for Rocket League measuring the latencies of all the controllers using an Arduino as a baseline.
DualShock 4 in Bluetooth mode came out on top by a decent margin. If Microsoft have equalled or bettered it, they’ve done a great job. Same goes for DualSense. I hope Sony haven’t downgraded on that.
Yeah, I don't argue that is probably the reason, but I'm just guessing that, since they're doubling down on reducing latency and addressing those issues, taking a similar approach for wireless audio is likely. But yeah, just a guess on my part.

Corndog

Banned
Is this the data? Looks like Xbox has less latency then ds4 when it is wired but not when it is using Bluetooth.

Corndog

Banned
Well it’s clearly upsetting you since you’re complaining about it. I don’t see which part is false. The part where it’s streaming a lot of data? The part where he said ps5s Ssd and IO is really tightly engineered? Nothing he said is inflammatory and 100% lines up with what Cerny and Sweeney said.

I swear some people just can’t stand to hear even the suggestion that ps5 may be good at something.

“relationship between disk and VRAM, has to be really tight and think it has to be specific to this architecture"
Inferring again that another architecture will be insufficient to run the demo.
Also since you said I was upset for responding to this quote I guess that means you were equally upset by my response. Right.

Is this the data? Looks like Xbox has less latency then ds4 when it is wired but not when it is using Bluetooth.

That link doesn't work for me, but this is the one I was referring to, along with a description of the methodology used:

It shows the same thing, though. DualShock 4 over USB was implemented late on after the PS4 Pro launched, and was apparently to help in tournament like environments where there's a lot of Bluetooth competing for airtime. I'm guessing the USB polling rates on the PS4 were never designed with controller traffic in mind. In it's standard Bluetooth usage, it's already putting a massive focus on latency.
In Mark Cerny's talk that introduced PS4, he talked about how they'd worked hard on input latency for the DualShock 4, and that was it. A single sentence saying that. No marketing buzzword, not even a comparison to other systems or the previous DualShock 3.

I think if Sony had given the changes made to their IO pipeline between PS4 and PS5 a catchy sounding name, we'd not be hearing the end of it, even now. Instead people just talk about the "PS5 SSD", as if it's all about the flash chips and controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom