• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
EaUhHkOXsAEWcqE

Inject this into my blood.

Swadedtx

Banned
I see no point in buying next gen til they address their trash multiplayer selections. We have no survival games, no star citizen type game, no military tactical hardcore, no respawn games anymore and havent for a whole generation. Congrats on making the same general single player games with idiot AI and easy puzzles that I can beat in a few days just by understanding patterns in the game....

That shit is soooo boring, Multiplayer games just last longer.

Last edited:

Despite what you may have heard, backwards compatibility isn't as simple as flicking a switch and having all of your old games work on your new console. Extensive testing needs to be carried out in order to ensure that current-gen software runs correctly on next-gen hardware, and Sony is still in the process of setting up "over 4000" PS4 titles for use on PS5.

"We said that the PS5 has been designed to play PS4 games. We're going through the process with the publishers and developers testing that rather exhaustive library of over 4,000 games. We're happy with the progress that's been made," Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan tells CNET.

It's not exactly new information, but it's reassuring to see Ryan reiterate Sony's stance on backwards compatibility. The topic wasn't brought up at all during the PS5 reveal event, but we assume that Sony will, at some point, go into greater detail about its plans for backwards compatibility on PS5.

Sony still set on making sure over 4,000 PS4 titles will be fully BC

Deahloop is 4k/60 on PS5 and has PvP invasion mechanics

I'm curious for a lot of games showed in the conference.
R&C have those insane transitions, if I can actually PLAY with those and are not just scripted things on rails, I'm in. I hope it's the biggest and baddest R&C ever. Graphics and art design are incredible (hope it's 60 fps as tradition), destructible enviroments are a step up, the new quick-dodge seems handy, and there is the possibility that the new Lombax has different abilities.

Demon's Souls Remake seems actually promising, I suspect this is a complete redone game even in terms of gameplay as it was for RE2 Remakes of Yakuza Kiwami, simply updating graphics and animations for a game like Demon's isn't enough, in a time where every year we got several soulslikes. I guess they could do so, they got around 100 people, some years and the game isn't as big as say Dark Souls or Bloodborne actually.

Horizon 2 double up on verticality, biological life, incredible variety of ambients and underwater exploration. If R&C could be more of the same and Demon's is uncertain, I just don't have much to say here because they are basically taking a fresh IP to the next level now that they can, I have little doubts that it will be better than the first one by far in everything.

Deathloop is Dishonored as a shooter, which is great, as long as they don't fuck up with those co-op shit or whatever. Just get me a proper full game that doesn't require me to have another people to enjoy, thanks. Aside for that, Arkane is Arkane, they are masters (even if the founder is making Weird West with his company now), so I have trust.

There are other titles that actracted my attention but we know too little and honestly I even forgot the names, but overall I'm pretty happy.
I like the console, especially the digital edition, but I never gave a fuck about console appearance, I never look at it anyway, so yeah.
Good move from Sony indeed.

Grodiak

Xbox hiD the back as well when revealed. They might just not want to confirm I/O yet.

I thought this was the back? Very hard to make out - but at first glance, I totally thought that was a RJ45 port. It was also before revealing a digital edition so the disk "bulge" is missing.
hejQJh1.png

Nickolaidas

I see no point in buying next gen til they address their trash multiplayer selections. We have no survival games, no star citizen type game, no military tactical hardcore, no respawn games anymore and havent for a whole generation. Congrats on making the same general single player games with idiot AI and easy puzzles that I can beat in a few days just by understanding patterns in the game....

That shit is soooo boring, Multiplayer games just last longer.
Multiplayer can go fuck its own arse for all I care.

Corndog

Banned
So cross generation with exclusive dlc lol? Sony avoiding the cross generation label.
I wonder if they painted themselves in a corner by going after Xbox on that subject. They probably should have just left it alone and no one would care at this point.

Grodiak

that’s the front, same alignment of USB A and C, right?

mM5XyLT.png

Yeah, you are right. The port just looked a different shape to me. But the Sony logo we fly past was present before on the top end. But it's all rendered anyways so 🤷‍♂️

Most likely still wanting to hide the expand bay and indeed anything that would give up anything regarding PSVR2. I mean, likely the camera plugs into the back too, right? :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

dimaveshkin

I wonder what's up with raytracing in games from the show.

R&C definitely uses one, but in some weird fashion. Portals for some reason are not raytraced, it causes weird reflections (look at tentacles appearing from nowhere).

Is it that more taxing to reflect more stuff? I thought that when reflections are "on" basically everything is reflected at the same cost, because rays are fired anyways (looks like ceiling behind portal is still reflected). Does it mean they specifically turned off reflections for portals? Why tho?

Same "missing reflections" bugs (?) were present in GT7 trailer, like missing people. It's strange, that only some of them are not reflected. I guess it's just a bug here, because others are reflected just fine.

Unfortunately, reflections look like they are displayed in much lower resolution. Is it something that can be enhanced by better utilization or is it caused by hardware limitation of amount of rays being fired and there is nothing we can do without boosting CU counts?

It's still cool to see reflections in action tho.

7b0ed72315ff2c4b8488e58330004c9f.jpg

e4f7e9a33a2f450891d6b475bb2ce9f5.jpg

Ptarmiganx2

I'm still lagging behind, but gonna throw my mega post anyway. I'll try to make it as brief as possible. All are personal opinions.

Why I think the event deserves 10/10?

Well, going to the event I only expected to like around 2-3 games max, and I was amazed by so many interesting titles with original ideas! Most PS5 only games were native 4K, and looked very impressive. Let's get into them:

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

90% interest. Looks wonderful in native 4K, like all (most?) others shown. Liked the prior game, and this is most likely a spin-off like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online

0% interest. I rate it already as 4/10, one of the shittiest open world car driving, on foot gameplay animation. The game has everything, that's why most kids love it, but it's like cheap, low budget furniture store that has shit racing and driving, shit gun fight, shit pool and arcade games, shit flight. Rockstar is great with narrative although the story as I finished it has plenty of cringy, cheap jokes. I liked the GTA4 story and protagonist much, much more, probably all the previous ones in that regard.

Project Athia (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

100% interest. Looks like a pure potential of what to expect from a worthy PS5 next gen game. The gameplay visuals, although stunning looking, had the assets that are slightly rough and might leverage UE5 later on.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. The game looks CGI! Wonderful, lots of chaos, amazing visuals and the regular interesting gameplay and story-telling.

Stray (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

80% interest. This game looks strange, not sure but gives me strange feelings like Limbo game and Journey, and seems to have something creative behind it.

Returnal (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

70% interest. Horror games aren't my type, but looks action horror which is not bad to try, and I'm all in for some sci-fi shit.

Destruction AllStars (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Wonderful game! Brings back memories of Twisted Metal and Destruction Derby back in PS1, with a flavor of Fortnite-like, and Rocket League. I think this will potentially be Sony's next big thing. Detailed destruction, on-foot interaction when your car destroyed so you can pick up another car. Lots of potential customization both visually and tactically!

Sackboy A Big Adventure (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Loved and bought all LittleBigPlanet games and spent endless ours building things there! Would love more Sackboy! Glad Sony went smart here and didn't let him disappear with the likes of LBP games on hold right now after Dreams.

Oddworld Soulstorm (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

70% interest. Mostly for nostalgia, I remember how creepy it was during the PS1 era, found in the demo free disk inside PS1. Puzzle solving and funny themed.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

100% interest. MAN! This game looks insanely good! One of the best games shown in the reveal so far! Can't wait to dive into it's charming world! Rivals Ratchet and Clank in terms of CGI quality graphics.

Goodbye Volcano High (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

50% interest. Looks strange, gives me Life is Strange vibe, and I love that one a lot. Still not sure about it, it's not clear enough.

GhostWire: Tokyo (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

60%
interest. I'm not into horror games that much, but this looks like action and fun, might give it a try.

JETT: The Far Shore (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

70% interest. Strange looking game, but I'm into space and exploration. Small game as it looks, but seems like a good one.

Godfall (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

70% interest. Looks like a good game overall, interesting fight styles. Might give it a try.

NBA 2K21

0% interest. Let's skip this, I'm a football man (AKA soccer). Used to enjoy some baseball and other sports during PS1 era and before, but not much now.

Gran Turismo 7 (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Finally, a complete version after years. Not into circuit racing but won't heart to play some of the most played car games in my childhood and through the years. There is some slight ladder effect in some very few parts of the trailer, probably for being pre-alpha? Not sure, but better anti-aliasing would help.

Solar Ash (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

60% interest. Looks like a nice game, not sure though. Might pick it up and try it.

Demon's Souls (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

50% interest. Looks great, but I'm not a souls fan. Might give it a try.

Resident Evil Village

0% interest. Looks like a good game, but not for me.

DEATHLOOP (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

90% interest. Looks like a wonderful, fancy shooting game with lots of challenging and punishing consequences. I'll get it!

Little Devil Inside (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

90% interest. Looks very intriguing! Would love to try it out!

Horizon Forbidden West (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Preordering the most expensive digital copy available! One of my favorites!

Bugsnax (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

0% interest. SKIP.

Astro's Playroom (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Gonna preorder it when available and then play the older VR version on the next PSVR2!

Hitman III

10% interest. The last game was shit with insanely stupid AI. So far this doesn't look good enough.

======

Then comes the console and accessories reveal! I was shocked! Wonderful, sleek, thin design! Very futuristic, didn't see it coming! I would say the design deserves around 9/10 overall, I love it! Gonna get all those accessories, especially the Pulse 3D wireless headset!

This is all reflective of my own flavors/opinions. I hope it wasn't too long.

Damn nice review!!!!

Known Sony hater and Xbot Kyle Bossman just released a video criticizing Sony's lack of demos and regurgitated everything I said yesterday that triggered a few diehard fans here. Lets cancel Kyle!

/s

I was about to say "dude is not an Xbot."

And I agree with a lot of his points. Especially Oddworld and the developer's comment. Losing is not fun, its the most annoying part of the game.

I still can't believe how lackluster last night's event was. I'm pretty sure Sony has *A LOT* more to show but decided to go with this lukewarm show. What a bummer.

I don't get the lackluster comment i mean they showed gt7 a "proper" GT game that's significant in its self then you got horizon 2
And the spider man standalone and demons souls and ratchet + more these are big name games and was the best show so far for this coming gen in imho....

There were some things about the show i wasn't keen on and i didn't really see anything that can't be done on the other console and i think that was there biggest mistake of the night because we needed to see how special that io setup is for new game world design and that wasn't communicated sufficiently to me on the night .

Andodalf

Banned
I wonder what's up with raytracing in games from the show.

R&C definitely uses one, but in some weird fashion. Portals for some reason are not raytraced, it causes weird reflections (look at tentacles appearing from nowhere).

Is it that more taxing to reflect more stuff? I thought that when reflections are "on" basically everything is reflected at the same cost, because rays are fired anyways (looks like ceiling behind portal is still reflected). Does it mean they specifically turned off reflections for portals? Why tho?

Same "missing reflections" bugs (?) were present in GT7 trailer, like missing people. It's strange, that only some of them are not reflected. I guess it's just a bug here, because others are reflected just fine.

Unfortunately, reflections look like they are displayed in much lower resolution. Is it something that can be enhanced by better utilization or is it caused by hardware limitation of amount of rays being fired and there is nothing we can do without boosting CU counts?

It's still cool to see reflections in action tho.

7b0ed72315ff2c4b8488e58330004c9f.jpg

e4f7e9a33a2f450891d6b475bb2ce9f5.jpg

Some stuff is RT but it’s really hard to tell what’s what. Some screens look more like SSR or even traditional cube maps or even planar reflections for GT

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
sorry but this is the biggest load of horse shit i have read all day and i have read rusco say a lot of dumb shit today. i could understand this line of reasoning being applied to the road to the ps5 event but this one? we dont expect gameplay demos from these conferences now? what am i even reading?

Move on from the petty antagonism, thank you.

This goes for everyone. Don’t play stupid either, we see you.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I still can't believe how lackluster last night's event was. I'm pretty sure Sony has *A LOT* more to show but decided to go with this lukewarm show. What a bummer.
The only thing I cared about was Silent Hill, which I'm at odds with because RE8 was identical to the leak from the same person so maybe later?
But even so Spider-Man, GT7, R&C, RE8, HZD2, Demon Souls was fanyboy BS 24 hours ago, Sony made it reality and people are downplaying it.
And console? Best people can come up with is, it's big and looks like a modem vs a big plain matte box

Last edited:

dimaveshkin

Some stuff is RT but it’s really hard to tell what’s what. Some screens look more like SSR or even traditional cube maps or even planar reflections for GT
I concluded it being ray-traced because it looks like the reflection of the car on the right side includes the reflection of the ceiling lamp on the door. Not sure if multi-bounce reflections are possible by any other technique.

dimaveshkin

Let's remember that before we talk about RT and stuff, this is literally the stone age of the new generation, everything looks super fancy and pumped and that's fine but probably a lot of devs are still trying to optimize a lot of the new processes. R&C is a pre-alpha anyway.
But we still can talk about it, right? If we want to believe that it will be much better in future, we need at least to find a valid reason and potential for it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
There’s a lot to talk about with this one, and the event was pretty late England/Germany time, right?
EG Managed a "its big article"
Project Athia I see being mentioned for PC and PS5 console exclusive, I don't recall seeing console exclusive in the trailer like the others
There wording was "Design for PlayStation 5"
Are people jumping to conclusions and thought it said different.

Last edited:
But we still can talk about it, right? If we want to believe that it will be much better in future, we need at least to find a valid reason and potential for it.
Of course, I ever hinted that you couldn't talk about something?
And, well, the reason is within itself: this is the "stone age", expect RT to improve. I don't know how much, but definitely the first games to use it ever on consoles will not be the best examples of it in five years or so.

Last edited:

splattered

I like that strategy a lot. We get some new Spider-man and a next gen R&C.
Hopefully Insomniac has a small team laying the groundwork for the next actual Spider-Man game.

I wouldnt complain if they did a Resistance game.

Wow i'm actually shocked that Schreier called out Sony for being misleading in its presentation about what systems these games are all coming to.

He must not be happy about the console design or something haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom