• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Games that have been Optimized for Xbox Series X use the power of the new console to deliver higher, steadier frame rates, with a performance target of 60 FPS at 4K resolution. Some games will even be able to support frame rates up to 120 FPS or variable refresh rates, allowing developers to offer players heightened realism and more precise controls for fast-paced action."

If I was them I would change it to something like this.

"with a guaranteed performance of 60 FPS at 4K resolution at a minimum."

And then use that for games that actually meet those requirements. It also is another way to give developers and incentive to meet those minimums plus it isn't forcing them to do that. The ones that don't won't have the seal.
Their original statement is fine. It is a target. Some times you miss the target some times you hit it. There are rarely guaranties when it comes to performance of games on a console especially games MS did not program.

Performance target of 60 FPS doesn't mean all XSX will be mandated to run at 60 FPS. I think some are just looking to attack MS for anything nowadays. Why not just talk about 2013 and TV TV TV at least that was real.
Greenberg should definitely get his messaging straight, though. Devs having the last word about how their game is presented is obviously the way to go, but he doesn't help with his brain farts. Leads to confusion and false expectations.

Note how he said "standard", not "target".

Last edited:
Why does it matter that it doesn't run at 60fps? That's a dev decision... If the XSX had a 24TF GPU they still might have make it run at 30fps... So do we want Microsoft to force developers to push for 60fps then?

It is up the the Devs but i have to believe that if it could run at 60 they would have. So either they can't or they may be looking at a consistent experience across the hardware

Greenberg should definitely get his messaging straight, though. Devs having the last word about how their game is presented is obviously the way to go, but he doesn't help with his brain farts. Leads to confusion and false expectations.

Note how he said "standard", not "target".

Does he also say "Developers always have flexibility in how they use the power, so a standard or common 60fps is not a mandate. " That doesn't seem like a confusing statement to me. I would also say his comments on twitter are not the same a product page on XBOX.com. People are making way too much of this. 60 FPS is a target not a mandate and there is no hypocrisy here.

PaintTinJr

I do not think this 4tf console will be designed to do RT. If they want to capture the cheap, they go cheap and cut RT , memory bandwidth. They however, should not touch the CPU and SSD at all. otherwise they hold us back for the entire generation.
Judging by the games they showed first - gears and minecraft rt - the lockhart specs I speculated would run both at the same IQ and need not much more than graphics settings changed - like resolution - to run at 1080p60 and 720p30, respectively on lockhart.

Without RT and matched IQ/framerate of the XsX there is no sales pitch for a kid with a one or one x to get their parents to replace it with a lockhart IMHO . A cheap minecraft rt box is surely lockhart's strongest sales pitch xbox have, no?

And I don't think the specs you suggested saves xbox enough in BOM to justify giving devs more development work for a lockhart version - with no next-gen feature to sell it.

Performance target of 60 FPS doesn't mean all XSX will be mandated to run at 60 FPS. I think some are just looking to attack MS for anything nowadays. Why not just talk about 2013 and TV TV TV at least that was real.

Why do I picture you sobbing.Typing this out. You was sounding tough a few post ago. And now this.

Xbox should shut up and actually show the goods. They talk tooooo much & show nothing. In the end they look like fools, liars ,sales people that have no integrity. And people out here capping & apologising for companies lying to the public wtf. That is the disturbing part. They ain't your friends. When are xbox going to stick to their word instead of look like people trying to hustle money out of others.

The only footage they have shown you is old jaguar cpu games. Everything else is talk ,talk, badges *representative of XSX performance* how the fuck people be behind shit that looks suspect as these guys. Unbelievable .Capping for lying corporations. Instead of directly calling them out on their BS. SMH.

Does he also say "Developers always have flexibility in how they use the power, so a standard or common 60fps is not a mandate. " That doesn't seem like a confusing statement to me. I would also say his comments on twitter are not the same a product page on XBOX.com. People are making way too much of this. 60 FPS is a target not a mandate and there is no hypocrisy here.
How is not confusing saying one thing to then say another different thing? The thing is, with social media these days, that first "standard output" comment got media attention and was picked up on different sites, so people might still be with that idea in mind if they didn't see the clarification. I'm not saying there is hypocrisy or that is anything more than a target, I'm just saying, messaging is something very important in the months leading up to the release of both consoles, and things like that, as I said, given how social media is picked up on tech sites, can lead to false expectations. He ought to be way more careful, is all I'm saying. He usually does a pretty poor job of managing his social media, in my opinion.

Neo Blaster

How is not confusing saying one thing to then say another different thing? The thing is, with social media these days, that first "standard output" comment got media attention and was picked up on different sites, so people might still be with that idea in mind if they didn't see the clarification. I'm not saying there is hypocrisy or that is anything more than a target, I'm just saying, messaging is something very important in the months leading up to the release of both consoles, and things like that, as I said, given how social media is picked up on tech sites, can lead to false expectations. He ought to be way more careful, is all I'm saying. He usually does a pretty poor job of managing his social media, in my opinion.
Don't forget that confusing messaging crippled Xbox One around its reveal.

I guess if Sony wants to say that they are targeting 8k/60FPS but the devs have flexibility It would be ok as well.

Last edited:
I want to see more photorealism, enemies on screen effects etc.

I'd rather res was lower and upscaled than focus a large chuck on 4k when the upscaling methods are so good now.

I agree with you.. there are so good reconstruction technics now that native can be a waste of resources.. let’s see how the generation evolves..

Why do I picture you sobbing.Typing this out. You was sounding tough a few post ago. And now this.

Xbox should shut up and actually show the goods. They talk tooooo much & show nothing. In the end they look like fools, liars ,sales people that have no integrity. And people out here capping & apologising for companies lying to the public wtf. That is the disturbing part. They ain't your friends. When are xbox going to stick to their word instead of look like people trying to hustle money out of others.

The only footage they have shown you is old jaguar cpu games. Everything else is talk ,talk, badges *representative of XSX performance* how the fuck people be behind shit that looks suspect as these guys. Unbelievable .Capping for lying corporations. Instead of directly calling them out on their BS. SMH.
You got me man. I certainly have tears coming out of my eyes... from laughing so hard at you guys fighting to show some sort of conspiracy here. There was never any mandate about 60 FPS and target, goal and yes even standard do not imply that. You don't like XBOX? Don't buy it. No one is forcing you to do anything but there is no need to make up some sort of issue when there isn't one. There is plenty of real issues to be upset about like the TV stuff I mentioned. If you didn't know they changed that though.

I guess if Sony wants to say that they are targeting 8k/60FPS but the devs have flexibility It would be ok as well.

I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Last edited:

Is not that when you say things like this you create expectations.. even Phil gave an interview saying how this next gen is all about feeling of higher frame rates.. the responsiveness.. the low input lag..

Then reality comes and they look detached or silly regarding their narrative or that they are misleading on purpose.. either one is not a good look..

Is not that when you say things like this you create expectations.. even Phil gave an interview saying how this next gen is all about feeling of higher frame rates.. the responsiveness.. the low input lag..

The low input lag is a real thing they have made changes to their controllers which keep them synced which should reduce input lag.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Then reality comes and they look detached or silly regarding their narrative or that they are misleading on purpose.. either one is not a good look..

When I read phils comments I thought he was paving the way for lots of cross gen games, which wil be 4k60 on all next gen consoles.

Just as well they have 1 or 2 only next gen games, its important to have some lookers.

Variety is nice, I would prefer options, graphics or performance in each game, some games will eb fine at 30, but let me choose.

Last edited:

Well unless you've already watched the first party XBOX game showcase how do you know if they are meeting expectations? Surely not based on 3rd party titles, especially when they said "Developers always have flexibility in how they use the power, so a standard or common 60fps is not a mandate. " They said the target is 60 FPS. When HALO and other first party titles, titles they can control, are 30 FPS or less I wouldn't worry about MS being misleading people.

xacto

I want to see more photorealism, enemies on screen effects etc.

I'd rather res was lower and upscaled than focus a large chuck on 4k when the upscaling methods are so good now.

This reminds me of a very specific case, in GT Sport, where if you repeat a race vs AI you will see the same car, doing the same absolute thing in the same chicane... same car understeering in the same spot. It's downright off-putting.

We need more diversity in AI, not the same enemies, same actions, same spawn points, same animations... that needs to go this generation, as much as possible.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Now you surprise me. You’re so concerned in the other thread about marvel avengers being 4K 30fps in PS5.. and now it’s ok regarding medium in sex?

I see you evolved in your position.. good..
Different gameplay though. For example I also don't understand this in case of Valhalla. In the case of Medium it's not such a big deal

Kerlurk

Banned
I created a chart to show generational differences.

This should help visualize what we are getting in the PS5.

I tried to [scale the blocks] to show the differences in performance/memory size/bandwidth.

Created in Google Drive using Google Drawings.

5mbqO6a.png

I hope SonGoku likes it, as it was this thread created by him as the reason why I joined this board.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I created a chart to show generational differences.

This should help visualize what we are getting in the PS5.

I tried to [scale the blocks] to show the performance/memory size/bandwidth differences.

Created in Google Drive using Google Drawings.

SNwgtUW.png

You deserve to get to fourth base for this, with me!

If i say you made me wet, i think i can get away with it. FISH POWER.

geordiemp

Let’s cool it on the antagonization of each other, step away from the ledge. Thank you.

?? For once I cant actually see any warring, we just having a laugh. I even agreed with @X-Fighter on all his posts today.

I need to lie down

Different gameplay though. For example I also don't understand this in case of Valhalla. In the case of Medium it's not such a big deal

I think it makes the medium more interesting - expecting some eye candy from that one, we need some titles to push out boats, makes it more fun. People cant criticise, we might have our eyeballs melted so why not.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
?? For once I cant actually see any warring, we just having a laugh. I even agreed with @X-Fighter on all his posts today.

I need to lie down

I think it makes the medium more interesting - expecting some eye candy from that one, we need some titles to push out boats, makes it more fun. People cant criticise, we might have our eyeballs melted so why not.

I reported you, you dirty haggis.:messenger_beaming:

Leyasu

Banned

This is a bit silly and seems like you are trying too hard to create a problem.

Would they still look silly if all their 1st party games were 60fps?

ThisIsMyDog

So... if the game works in 4K30FPS then it should be easy to push 1440p60FPS? Ultimately everything will depend on the use of the CPU, but I don't think that devs are going to fully utylize Zen 2 8/16 right away.

Therefore, I hope that most games will provide 60FPS mode at least at the beginning of the generation.

Their original statement is fine. It is a target. Some times you miss the target some times you hit it. There are rarely guaranties when it comes to performance of games on a console especially games MS did not program.

Well I associate that seal with a seal of quality. It would be nice if it was an actual guarantee of 4K 60FPs. Thats something that should be extremely easy to do and it would be an incentive for developer to try their best to achieve that. The ones that do will be rewarded with that seal.

What I don't agree with is using the seal to claim that a game may or may not be Native 4K 60FPs. When I see that seal on a box I won't have a guarantee of what the framerate and resolution will be like. Also some developers can just make the claim that they are targeting that quality level just to get the seal when in reality their game doesn't meet what people are expecting.

If the competition were to do something similar I would criticize them as well for it. Heck if they claim 4K 60FPs for games that don't reach that I'll complain as well.

From the point of a consumer I just want these types of things to be simple and very easy to understand.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Quantum Error Dev Explains How PS5’s DualSense and Tempest Will Be Used in the Game

In a new interview published on the latest Official PlayStation Magazine (August 2020, issue 177), Micah Jones (one of the four brothers who founded TeamKill Media) explained some of the exclusive features available thanks to the new DualSense controller.

For example, we are going to make every gunshot vibrate the side of the hand that would be holding the handle of the gun, vibrate the controller dynamically according to where the enemy hits you. We are going to have the player go to doors that have the possibility of backdraught explosions and the character will place his left hand on the door and if it's hot the controller will vibrate on the left side of the controller to warn the player of an explosion if that door is opened.

Quantum Error will also take advantage of the PlayStation 5's hardware ray tracing capabilities as well as the much-touted Tempest 3D audio engine.

The usage of ray tracing with light and shadows and how we can use darkness in the atmosphere goes a long way to impart the feelings in a horror game. It's really hard to put into words, but the atmosphere you can create using ray tracing in the environment with a horror game is so much more intense and realistic. I believe it's going to be a different experience than gamers have ever had.

Audio also plays a huge part in bringing on that horror feel and maintaining it throughout a game. We are going to make the player feel like they are actually there in the game, with the sound engulfing them, perceiving an enemy's location and the direction and making the environment feel alive as you traverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom