• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Priest walks in to the confessional box after like....
tenor.gif

Then when they exit the church.......

dqEned.gif

I'm really glad MS and Sony didn't skimp on the CPU this time around, looking forward to seeing how devs utilise physics next generation.

After I finished TLOU2, I thought it was pretty but the world was relatively static and it takes you out of it at times. Felt the same way playing other games recently, too. Your character feeling anchored and a part of the game world is why BOTW is so impressive, despite its visual shortcomings.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
IDG: Other publishers are considering raising game prices for PS5 and Xbox Series

It follows the news that NBA 2K21 will be priced at $69.99 on the next consoles, $10 more expensive than it is on the current devices

Speaking with GamesIndustry.biz, IDG President and CEO Yoshio Osaki says that game pricing has remained flat since 2005, whereas TV and movie pricing has increased significantly.

“The last time that next-gen launch software pricing went up was in 2005 and 2006, when it went from $49.99 to $59.99 at the start of the Xbox 360 and PS3 generation," he says.

"During that time, the costs and prices in other affiliated verticals have gone up."

Osaki says that next-gen console game production costs have increased by 200% to 300%, depending on the IP, studio and genre, but the prices have remained at $59.99. Meanwhile, cinema ticket prices have risen 39%, Netflix subscription costs have gone up 100%, and Cable TV packages have risen by 105%.

Great...😒

Vae_Victis

Banned
The matter of possible price increase is very interesting, and I'm not sure if publishers are just going for it because "why not try?", or they are pre-emptively shielding for the concrete possibility of lootboxes being regulated in more and more countries going forward.

The calculations that must be going on behind the curtains for a move like this are actually pretty complex, since an increase in launch price (16.6%, so not a small one either) will deter impulse buyers to an extent. I'm also curious to see if this will just be a flat increase on most games, or rather will only affect AAA games while AA titles will remain at $60, or even fragment more on the price scale on an individual basis in an attempt to leverage competition there.

One thing I'm not sure I'm understanding though is: won't this clash hard with the idea of free next-gen upgrades? Do we have to assume that publishers will do either one or the other? Because what happens if the PS4/XBO version of a game retails for $60 and the PS5/XSX version of the same game for $70? Wouldn't people just buy the old gen version and then use Smart Delivery / Cross-Buy to bypass the price increase completely?

Last edited:

Darius87

i'm really don't get price increase does it mean devs don't make profit? i mean good devs who makes good games if your game budget is 50 000 000$ you have to sold around 1.5 million copies to break even and above that is all profits that is easy if you make good game maybe not like in 1 year but good investment for future. and that's not including micro transactions and other bs also devs get money from publishers.

sircaw

Banned
IDG: Other publishers are considering raising game prices for PS5 and Xbox Series

It follows the news that NBA 2K21 will be priced at $69.99 on the next consoles, $10 more expensive than it is on the current devices

Speaking with GamesIndustry.biz, IDG President and CEO Yoshio Osaki says that game pricing has remained flat since 2005, whereas TV and movie pricing has increased significantly.

Osaki says that next-gen console game production costs have increased by 200% to 300%, depending on the IP, studio and genre, but the prices have remained at $59.99. Meanwhile, cinema ticket prices have risen 39%, Netflix subscription costs have gone up 100%, and Cable TV packages have risen by 105%.

Great...😒

They keep going on about having to rise prices but they never seem to talk about their profit margins.

Are they still making billions every year in profits.

How much does profit does the basketball game make in micro transactions, If it's a few million here and there, after all there sales,overhead, paying staff etc, then fair enough but if its billions, then fuck off.

Its like when the banks close or get rid of some top brass because its not profitable, then they give him a 5 million bonus. WTF.

ToadMan

i'm really don't get price increase does it mean devs don't make profit? i mean good devs who makes good games if your game budget is 50 000 000$ you have to sold around 1.5 million copies to break even and above that is all profits that is easy if you make good game maybe not like in 1 year but good investment for future. and that's not including micro transactions and other bs also devs get money from publishers.

Halo's budget is rumored to be $500 million, Star citizen got $300 million from its funding model.

I think $50 million is an underestimate by several orders of magnitude for a one off AAA game.

Talking about games like NBA2K - sure they might use "only" $50 million for development in one year, but then there's the NBA license cost to them which has to amortized over the licensing period.

Supposedly 2k licensed for $1.1billion over 7 years. That's about 150 million per year in licensing. So in total, that's $200 million for an iteration of NBA2k each year.

At $50 per unit, they'd need to sell 4 million copies a year to break even if they were taking 100% of the revenue. They don't get 100% of that though - they probably get around 50% with the rest disappearing into the sales channels, marketing and publishing. So now we're talking about 8 million sales for NBA2k to break even in a year at a $50 price point.

As it happens NBA2k is RRP'd closer to $60 per unit and of course there's micro tx. Since August NBA2k20 did indeed sell 8 million copies (that was up on previous year sales btw). I'd guess they made about a 10% profit year to date on NBA2k20. That's a tiny profit margin for the risk being taken - both technical and sales wise. Probably most of that is getting eaten up in loan payments...

That has to be set aside for the next license negotiation which will require more than $1.1 billion of course.

Not only is $70 justified - I actually think it's a low ball. We should probably be paying $100 per unit base price now if we're expecting high quality AAA games not weighed down with micro tx.

Games haven't increased with inflation for a long time now. In fact it's only the multitude of indie shovel ware, trash mobile and free to play that has held the cost of real games so low.

If you want real games, you're gonna have to pay the price or keep accepting low quality dross.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Big publishers definitely make a profit through DLCs and microtransactions, but smaller ones will welcome this change. Many of them were probably migrating to services like Gamepass just to stay alive.

Bryank75

Banned
First time I'm seeing that. Thank you for sharing.

Anyways this will probably be the case for most multiplats. What I mean by that is that the framerates will be the same on both.
Even many of the exclusives will have 60 fps / performance modes at a flexible framerate.... Demons Souls is confirmed already. Only games I expect to be 30fps are things like Horizon, open-world and highly detailed or single player games that are really pushing in other areas.

geordiemp

Darius87

Halo's budget is rumored to be $500 million, Star citizen got $300 million from its funding model.

I think $50 million is an underestimate by several orders of magnitude for a one off AAA game.
your examples is one of the top of the development cost in industry most AAA don't cost so much to make games like TLOU2 is probably around 100 000 000$ and that's one of the better games so good game could be around 50 000 000$ or little more of course companies like rockstar breaks even 100 000 000$ but they'r games is always better then good.

Talking about games like NBA2K - sure they might use "only" $50 million for development in one year, but then there's the NBA license cost to them which has to amortized over the licensing period.

Supposedly 2k licensed for $1.1billion over 7 years. That's about 150 million per year in licensing. So in total, that's $200 million for an iteration of NBA2k each year.

At $50 per unit, they'd need to sell 4 million copies a year to break even if they were taking 100% of the revenue. They don't get 100% of that though - they probably get around 50% with the rest disappearing into the sales channels, marketing and publishing. So now we're talking about 8 million sales for NBA2k to break even in a year at a $50 price point.

As it happens NBA2k is RRP'd closer to $60 per unit and of course there's micro tx. Since August NBA2k20 did indeed sell 8 million copies (that was up on previous year sales btw). I'd guess they made about a 10% profit year to date on NBA2k20. That's a tiny profit margin for the risk being taken - both technical and sales wise. Probably most of that is getting eaten up in loan payments...

That has to be set aside for the next license negotiation which will require more than $1.1 billion of course.
games with licenses is different discussion because licensing cost varies per car/sport/other type of game and game development cost much less when you make game per 1 year basis also these games have they'r own player base so revenue depends on popularity of sport and less of quality personally i don't think 2K is a good game or is even possible to make a good game in 1 year so i'm not talking about that.

Not only is $70 justified - I actually think it's a low ball. We should probably be paying $100 per unit base price now if we're expecting high quality AAA games not weighed down with micro tx.
i disagree games cost aren't low 60$ is actually sweetspot.

Games haven't increased with inflation for a long time now. In fact it's only the multitude of indie shovel ware, trash mobile and free to play that has held the cost of real games so low.

If you want real games, you're gonna have to pay the price or keep accepting low quality dross.
if every company start making games like CDprojectred or rockstar does i would definitely agree to pay 10$ more but that's not possible.
if games indeed would cost 70$ next-gen we would'n see better games anyway we will see shorter games which is bad.

Even many of the exclusives will have 60 fps / performance modes at a flexible framerate.... Demons Souls is confirmed already. Only games I expect to be 30fps are things like Horizon, open-world and highly detailed or single player games that are really pushing in other areas.

I'm really hoping that being able to choose between framerate or graphics will become common place on the future.

If they offered a 1440P 60FPs mode I would choose it over anything else. It's what I game at on my PC.

Bryank75

Banned
I'm really hoping that being able to choose between framerate or graphics will become common place on the future.

If they offered a 1440P 60FPs mode I would choose it over anything else. It's what I game at on my PC.
Yeah, it should be in a good percentage of games..... Team Ninja were very good at providing the option in Nioh and Nioh 2. Dirt will be 120fps, Apex legends, Valorant and loads of others will be above 60, probably 120 and Demons Souls.... Destiny 2 will have 60 fps and a FOV slider.

We'll get there!

PSVR2 will also push framerates higher more than resolution. So that's good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom