• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sircaw

Banned
Your are a bottom feeder I know it !
mwiZYhJ.png

I actually do have those too, for my loaches lol

geordiemp

Accelerated transition to a gaming crash. Who is that suppose to Entice $70-$90/£65-€70 games. How is that a selling point to casuals or anyone really.When they can take the family out to cinema/theme parks/meals/ other bills for that price. Considering unemployment thst going to hit now & to next year.This a fuck up waiting to happen.

Next gen going to take some L's. I guess just like this gen. Its going to be average until 5 years in.(2016/17). Gaming industry about to get them jobcuts & closures. With this nonsense pricing. Gamers need to step up & not support this nonsense. When does price increase stop?
Just because the industry is overspending & CEO's given themselves super bonuses. We should not pay for that. As a collective we need to kill off this price increase immediately.

Yeah next gen ain't popping until 5 years in. Industry has to take financial loses. Only way they are going to respect consumers. We cant accept these price hikes. Where will the hike stop? I think these companies think covid lockdown profit numbers are real. In reality Its just a 1 year anomaly spike. Not a forecast for next 3 years.

Last edited:
This is a bit silly and seems like you are trying too hard to create a problem.

Would they still look silly if all their 1st party games were 60fps?

I don’t have any problem.. you believe what you want to believe.. MS they are masters of sound bits and fancy words.. I can bet not all their first party will be 60 FPS.. that is not how consoles work.. of course they should know this by now..

Leyasu

Banned
I don’t have any problem.. you believe what you want to believe.. MS they are masters of sound bits and fancy words.. I can bet not all their first party will be 60 FPS.. that is not how consoles work.. of course they should know this by now..
I will believe what I see. I also won't take offence to 30fps games next gen. Because there will be lots of them on both consoles.

thelastword

Banned
Xiaomi is now going to seel OLED TVs:

65" at around $1,800... good price
Wow nice. I told folk things are going to get interesting with TV's towards the end of this year. I have a Xiaomi phone, it's excellent. I know their TV's will be too and also affordable for many....

roops67

It is a very, very interesting matter, and that channel is a wonderful channel to keep watching its updates. Those newborns mofos won't appreciate that as much as we'll do, they've never tried 8-bit gaming. :messenger_winking_tongue: The old Test Drive game in the 1980's car game was described "realistic" at that time.:lollipop_downcast_sweat: I was a sperm or wearing diapers at that time though.

Ditching silicon for carbon? I think it's another major step ahead when terabytes are like gigabytes today, before going to quantum computing! Exciting times ahead of us.:messenger_ok:
Hey Bo this channel '2 minute papers' is brilliant agreed. I get your drift about the young'ns won't appreciate as much the revolution that's happening cos they ain't experienced the 8bit era, they've grown accustomed (hardened) to these cutting edge breakthroughs as part of the norm. Ya musta been a very talented sperm to play test-drive tho :messenger_winking:

It's crazy how that YouTube channel is moving from where he's showing advancements in algorithms to speed up stuff like navier-stokes fluid dynamics and other complicated physics to ray-tracing, and all of a sudden a massive shift to training neural networks to do these same things exponentially faster!! It's madness would never have guessed they would start using machine learning for stuff like this. Object recognition and self-driving cars is a natural fit (to replace what we do naturally) but AI accurately guessing the outcome of the chaotic motion of double pendulum and other crazies is like witchcraft
But honestly I don't think this will ever lead to real consciousness, machine learning are still deterministic, they learn (find) the fastest algorithms to achieve set goals. Quantum computing is where the key to consciousness lies. Check out Roger Penrose and Hameroff research if any of you are interested. Sir Roger Penrose is a BADASS scientist to say the least, have a look at his take on the big-bang 'Conformal Cyclic Cosmology', I don't wanna pretend to be an expert but his theory sure makes a lot of sense from a 'relativity' point of view!
Aaand whats all this got to do with next gen consoles... absolutely nothing :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
Consumers always want more from the games. Nowhere does that hold more true than on online gaming communities.
More more more.
Better graphics, bigger worlds, higher resolution, higher framerates.

All of this costs money. That extra cost is passed on to the consumer.

The AAA bubble will eventually burst. But this is why you see MS and Sony reducing the number of megablockbusters and will invest in those middle-sized projects to keep their platforms profitable, but also keep prices where customers are happy

Rudius

Th
I created a chart to show generational differences.

This should help visualize what we are getting in the PS5.

I tried to [scale the blocks] to show the differences in performance/memory size/bandwidth.

Created in Google Drive using Google Drawings.

58Xcnou.png
The CPU jump should be much more than that. Just look at the frame rates you can get on PC with an old 4 core Ryzen:

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned
The CPU jump should be much more than that. Just look at the frame rates you can get on PC with an old 4 core Ryzen:

Well the area for the PS5 CPU is greater in height (harder to see) and of course much greater in width.

I have it at about 3 to 4 times difference in size (from base PS4).

Your wish is my command. :)

Five times might be more accurate (dual threading, slightly more than twice the clock rate, larger caches, 2x IPC!!!), so I adjusted the diagram in the original post:

The GPU (size shown) does not take into account much greater RDNA2 efficiencies over GCN 1.2 used in the original PS4. I think the difference is more along the lines of 7 to 8 times. Might adjust that. edit: I have made that adjustment. Refresh!

EDIT: added the DMA engine to the Tempest 3D sound engine as Mark Cerny says it has it's own DMA.

EDIT: added the AVX difference.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Yes, but the reason is logical because the PS5 clock is higher, the CU need to eat more every second.

I don't think any CU is undernourished, they have the food they need to function well.

It is not for anything else.

That was not the point.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Th

thanks for sharing the video, for all their faults DF produce a lot of informative content and really allows us to gain a good perspective and insight on current and next-gen technology.

Ptarmiganx2

I am going to try my impression of a young person, bare in mind i'm almost fifty.

It looks FUCKING DOPE. :messenger_sunglasses:

I try using my age as an excuse on why I get my butt kicked in battle arena games. I even went and had lasik to restore my 20/15 vision. My wife still kicks my butt.

Gone are the days of dominating Mortal Kombat at the arcade for 2 hours on a single quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom