• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtCaffran

That said, I've seen claims, particularly in this thread, suggesting that Sony's 'revolutionary design' will in fact make it more performant than the Series X.

I haven't seen many people claiming that the difference will be night and day in Series X's favour. It's mostly just frustrated people having to re-state the spec differences that have been published and the power advantage that actually exists.
Is it so strange that there are claims that the PS5's design might actually allow it to outperform the Series X in certain scenarios?

Sony has developed so much custom hardware and has looked into every tiny detail of the whole flow of the console to minimise or eliminate bottlenecks.

Yes the XsX has 17% more TFlops. But the TFs don't give the full picture. In fact, it only gives a small part of the picture.
- TF count is theoretical. If you would flip all of the transistors
- Games never utilise the CPU and GPU for 100%
- Other bottlenecks can prevent the GPU to reach it's max theoretical performance

And still, people -including Microsoft, cringe - want to shout that the XsX is the more powerful console. The PS4 was 40% more powerful than the Xbox One and that barely showed in third party games! It's just such a small difference that I'm sure you could do blind viewing of 3rd party games and not be able to tell XsX from PS5.

It's actually quite simple, Microsoft went with a traditional console:
- Constant clocks, variable power
- High CU count, low clock speed
- Reasonably standard SSD
- Basically a beefed up Xbox One X (it was designed by the same team as well)

Playstation went their own unique way:
- Constant power, variable clocks
- Low CU count, high clock speed
- Super custom SSD with more lanes, less chips per lane, way more custom hardware
- Custom hardware to remove bottlenecks around CPU/GPU/RAM
- Concept that nobody has seen before

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Are Xbox Series X developers being held back by Xbox One?

"Frankly, held back is a meme that gets created by people who are too caught up in device competition," says Microsoft's executive vice president of gaming, and Xbox chief, Phil Spencer. "I just look at Windows. It's almost certain if the developer is building a Windows version of their game, then the most powerful and highest fidelity version is the PC version. You can even see that with some of our first-party console games going to PC, even from our competitors, that the richest version is the PC version. Yet the PC ecosystem is the most diverse when it comes to hardware, when you think about the CPUs and GPUs from years ago that are there.

"Yes, every developer is going to find a line and say that this is the hardware that I am going to support, but the diversity of hardware choice in PC has not held back the highest fidelity PC games on the market. The highest fidelity PC games rival anything that anybody has ever seen in video games. So this idea that developers don't know how to build games, or game engines, or ecosystems, that work across a set of hardware... there's a proof point in PC that shows that's not the case.

roops67

XSX has the better gpu, cpu, and bandwidth advantage.
Having more CU's does NOT mean better, known fact trying to utilize 52 CU's in parallel is a lot more taxing than fully utilize 36 CU's. The GPU CPU Bandwidth you talk about, all those components on the XSX have been GIMPED by Microsoft!!!
You want to spread FUD as facts without any proof to back up your claims! Everything I mentioned above are facts and can be backed up by proof!!

Last edited:

jose4gg

I understand look hard not holding XSX back because it has the same processor, the same memory type and speed although a lit of bit less for games.... but To say the same of OG Xbox Is being EXTREMELY OPTIMISTIC.

They will need two teams to create the games just like COD did a couple of years ago, nothing bad with that, saying that making the SAME game it just scaling like pc is completely forgetting that PC has minimum requirements too.

Last edited:

SgtCaffran

Funny, that's actually very much true for the current generation with consoles with HDD.

But is it true for the next generation with blazing fast SSD? Even PC might hold the PS5 SSD back and for sure the PS4/Xbox One...

Last edited:
Yes we know the PS5 is "worse", an I/O architecture that exceeds anything else out there in throughput is WoRSe. Efficiencies, less bottlenecks and low latencies, decompression work removed entirely from the cpu, somehow WoRSe. Let's isolate TFs as the sole performance metric because bigger theoretical peak number therefore better. WTF I can't even, but I know one thing is for sure, I am authority.

Shmunter

What the trolls are finding really hard to understand is that Sony fans were OK when Heisenberg and Matt said XSX was more powerful, because everyone in the industry were saying that difference was minimal.

Comes deep dive, and we get to know the difference in paper is even smaller than current gen. But somehow, the trolls think this small difference will make XSX run at native 4k 60fps(even 120fps) and PS5 at dynamic 1440p 30fps. And at the same time, they ignore a bigger than 100% delta on I/O speed and say it will make no difference.

Come the first announced next gen games with some specs and we see the same resolution/performance on both, but they still push the narrative of power and downplay PS5 I/O solution.

And Sony fans are the delusional ones...

I can hardly wait for DF analysis, where the trolls can brag about one more leaf in the distance advantage.
Let them dream

Last edited:

roops67

Being less powerful is ok though. It's the endless attempts at 10>12 with constant delusion and denial that's the problem.
You are going to be sorely disappointed when you are basing all your arguments on just one figure 12 > 10 . With reduced CPU L3 cache and gimped CU's within the GPU so they can fit all their precious CU's on the die, and gimped memory bandwidth... It's highly unlikely XSX will come close to that stated theoritical maximum TF's with all the cutbacks they made in all their components!

Yes we know the PS5 is "worse", an I/O architecture that exceeds anything else out there in throughput is WoRSe. Efficiencies, less bottlenecks and low latencies, decompression work removed entirely from the cpu, somehow WoRSe. Let's isolate TFs as the sole performance metric because bigger theoretical peak number therefore better. WTF I can't even, but I know one thing is for sure, I am authority.

I've heard for months 12tflops is the most important metric next gen (despite every dev and his dog saying the SSD is the biggest thing about next gen).

Now MS is releasing a 4tflop console (rumoured) we're being told to ignore teraflops as 'the CPU in Series S is more powerful than PS5's'...

Lol please.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This been posted?
SEgm2qY.jpg

Apparently it's an official promotion ad

"Yes, every developer is going to find a line and say that this is the hardware that I am going to support, but the diversity of hardware choice in PC has not held back the highest fidelity PC games on the market. The highest fidelity PC games rival anything that anybody has ever seen in video games. So this idea that developers don't know how to build games, or game engines, or ecosystems, that work across a set of hardware... there's a proof point in PC that shows that's not the case.

I would argue this is the proof PC gaming is held back by the variety of systems the developer's need to support.

If you compare a PC with the equivalent specifications of say a PS4, games look better on the PS4 versus that PC. Why is this? Fixed target hardware?

Now, a higher end PC produces visuals of higher quality than the PS4. But that doesn't support the argument that the PC isn't held back by the lower end systems in that ecosystem. If the higher end class of PC hardware where the sole target for development, similar to the fixed target for consoles, would that not enable the developer to get even more out of the system?

Shmunter

I would argue this is the proof PC gaming is held back by the variety of systems the developer's need to support.

If you compare a PC with the equivalent specifications of say a PS4, games look better on the PS4 versus that PC. Why is this? Fixed target hardware?

Now, a higher end PC produces visuals of higher quality than the PS4. But that doesn't support the argument that the PC isn't held back by the lower end systems in that ecosystem. If the higher end class of PC hardware where the sole target for development, similar to the fixed target for consoles, would that not enable the developer to get even more out of the system?
Yes, a single target means more time for optimisation. Even low level re-coding of certain things to push and balance for optimum results. More targets means devs more thinly spread & less incentives to perfect a specific solution if scalability becomes the foremost objective.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
That a great 3rd party game will still look and play better on XSX

I am not sure what that has to do with my point.

I was talking about the best games from the best companies , i did not specify which console,

Do you expect the next assassins creed to be better looking than Horizon zero dawn 2 or the new halo?

do you think multi plat games are better than exclusives. Sorry confused here.

I am talking about the overall quality of games. The best studios will find a way to harness the power.

Until recently we saw that shitty looking dolphin game, that was on the new xbox. Doe that mean other games are going to look that shit on their system,No, Power means nothing with out talent. I am sure we both agree on that.

Last edited:
Phil Spencer said:
We should applaud the work that is going on with the SSD, and the work that is going on with audio, to pick some of the areas that Jim [Ryan] and Mark [Cerny] and the stuff that [PlayStation] is focused on. We should applaud load times and fidelity of scenes and framerate and input latency, and all of these things that we've focused on with the next generation. But that should not exclude people from being able to play.
Sorry, I am a bit soapboxy with this one. Gaming is about entertainment and community and diversion and learning new stories and new perspectives, and I find it completely counter to what gaming is about to say that part of that is to lock people away from being able to experience those games. Or to force someone to buy my specific device on the day that I want them to go buy it, in order to partake in what gaming is about.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-10-are-xbox-series-x-developers-being-held-back-by-xbox-one

DaGwaphics

You are going to be sorely disappointed when you are basing all your arguments on just one figure 12 > 10 . With reduced CPU L3 cache and gimped CU's within the GPU so they can fit all their precious CU's on the die, and gimped memory bandwidth... It's highly unlikely XSX will come close to that stated theoritical maximum TF's with all the cutbacks they made in all their components!

Microsoft has just gimped everything, so says you. Probably not going to age well.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Xbox Series X is the most powerful console out there and it will have absolutely the best versions of our console games. But that's not to exclude other people from being able to play.

"Sorry, I am a bit soapboxy with this one. Gaming is about entertainment and community and diversion and learning new stories and new perspectives, and I find it completely counter to what gaming is about to say that part of that is to lock people away from being able to experience those games. Or to force someone to buy my specific device on the day that I want them to go buy it, in order to partake in what gaming is about.

I look forward to seeing Microsoft first party games on Sony and Nintendo devices if that is how Phil really thinks.

sircaw

Banned
I got a warning by mods for questioning eastwood333's mental capacity. With all the unfounded FUD he's been spreading, where is the bloody justice?! Does this eastwood has a free pass to spread all the lies he wants, is he protected from above for being who he is?!

just ignore him from now on m8, he's just a troll and not worth your time. It's very clear he has an agenda. It is a shame that the mods let them all back in, look at the state of this forum now with all the shit posting that's been going on, but give it time and the mods will clear it up, Again.

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

Seems your not willing to give any thought to the matter.

The variable clocks as explained with code never fully utilising CPU/GPU will run at max most the time with probably small ms drops.

Cu occupancy could be huge, matt hargrett seems to suggest so and cache scrubbers should assist in this.

The xbox will be more difficult to keep each CU occupied with meaningful work. If they are not all working it will not be getting near its max TF.

Devs have said the gap isn't as big in real world performance and as I said to the other guy look at games announced.

The proof is in the pudding. Not a single game runs at a higher resolution or framrate so far. Why is that?

Its hilarious seeing people claim this knowing how easy it is to keep a gpu at 100% utilisation.
Hell, I'm still waiting for my system to throttle, because apparently, it's impossible to hit the GPU and CPU without it happening!

13b0202ebb8b50f5573f5f9ad913f648.png

So we have people like Cerny and others who have said it's much harder to fill more CU's with useful work. I wonder who's more credible him or you....hmmm.

Do you go against what he and many others say?

The cache scrubbers in PS5 should ensure higher CU occupancy.

Surely you know that game code doesn't fully utilise the CPU or GPU fully as nx gamer says in this video watch from 6:45 for about a minute...

'A GPU does not need to run and never runs at full high capacity 100% of the time. Theres always peaks theres always troughs'

A little later...

'It doesn't need to run at full capacity, no game ever does'

This is why variable clocks on PS5 should hit max most the time and drops be minor and short.

Overall variable is better than fixed for the same part as the fixed leaves performance on the table.

Not to mention why did you never answer about why the resolution and framerate on all announced games so far is exactly the same?

Tqaulity

Is it so strange that there are claims that the PS5's design might actually allow it to outperform the Series X in certain scenarios?

Sony has developed so much custom hardware and has looked into every tiny detail of the whole flow of the console to minimise or eliminate bottlenecks.

Yes the XsX has 17% more TFlops. But the TFs don't give the full picture. In fact, it only gives a small part of the picture.
- TF count is theoretical. If you would flip all of the transistors
- Games never utilise the CPU and GPU for 100%
- Other bottlenecks can prevent the GPU to reach it's max theoretical performance

And still, people -including Microsoft, cringe - want to shout that the XsX is the more powerful console. The PS4 was 40% more powerful than the Xbox One and that barely showed in third party games! It's just such a small difference that I'm sure you could do blind viewing of 3rd party games and not be able to tell XsX from PS5.

It's actually quite simple, Microsoft went with a traditional console:
- Constant clocks, variable power
- High CU count, low clock speed
- Reasonably standard SSD
- Basically a beefed up Xbox One X (it was designed by the same team as well)

PlayStation went their own unique way:
- Constant power, variable clocks
- Low CU count, high clock speed
- Super custom SSD with more lanes, less chips per lane, way more custom hardware
- Custom hardware to remove bottlenecks around CPU/GPU/RAM
- Concept that nobody has seen before
Thank you! I don't know why this must be repeated but let's try again:

It is entirely accurate to say that the Xbox Series X has a larger GPU (which will have it's advantages in some workloads), higher theoretical bandwidth, and a slight/negligible advantage in CPU clock speed. In other words, it is factual to say that Microsoft won the "spec war" against Sony.

However, it is NOT accurate to say that the Xbox Series X is more powerful or more capable (yet). It may turn out to be more powerful, but we can't conclude that just based on the numbers that have been presented from both sides. Why? Because none of those numbers tell us how that will translate to actual game performance. The numbers don't tell the full story and they often lie. These machines are super complex and there is a lot that needs to happen for a CPU, GPU, and system at large to run at it's maximum capability. The reality that most seem to be ignorant of until recently is that most game systems (and especially PCs) almost never run at its optimal capability. This is why console cycles last so long (5-7) and we see so much advancement in game quality throughout. Developers continue to learn more about how to get the hardware to perform closer and closer to it's full potential. Just look at late gen games like God of War/God of War 2 on PS2 or look at the difference between GTA III and GTA San Andreas on PS2 or Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 3 on PS3 or (my favorite) Resistance 1 to Resistance 3 on PS3. Almost looks like different generations of hardware.

The fact of the matter is that Sony seems to have gone further than Microsoft to maximize the system's efficiency and power accessibility. That's not to say that Microsoft did not make any efforts in improving efficiency and it's already clear that Xbox Series X is more efficiency than a PC in most cases. It's just that Sony seems to have gone further to create something that breaks existing development paradigms and limitations. This is supported by Sony themselves (i.e. Mark Cerny), numerous developers and insiders, and the snippet of games we've seen to date.

The PS5 has more silicon dedicated to custom hardware than any PlayStation system before it and there is a reason for that. The goal is to alleviate the core components (CPU, GPU, and RAM) as much as possible so that they can focus on the core work to render the game as efficiently as possible. To remove bottlenecks, empower developers, and maximize performance to a level that we haven't seen before. If it turns out that they succeeded, then it would not be comparable to any other system on the market in terms of specs as the system would operate fundamentally differently than the existing PC or Xbox model.

So yes, the Xbox has the higher numbers. 12 IS greater than 10 etc. But if you think that's all that matters in system performance than I pray for your ignorance! Sure I fully expect Xbox Series X to outperform PS5 in some workloads, especially those with Ray-Tracing and other GPU intensive effects. But no question that the PS5 will allow developers to do more to create new and different types of games experiences than the Series X (or any system prior). And there is no question that it is easier to achieve maximum performance out of the PS5 compared to the Series X.

What will that mean for multi-plats on both platforms? We'll see soon enough but expect them to be very close!

chilichote

I don't know how many times this has to be mentioned, but the only thing that the XSeX has "more" is the CUs. Due to the higher clock of the PS5 GPU, however, all parts that are dependent on the clock are also faster than in the XSeX GPU! And so it is absolutely not clear which console will perform better.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
They don't need to, their userbase is already used to crossbuy since last gen.
Really i must of missed where we got our upgraded the last of us one and uncharted 1,2 copies and other ps3 games to ps4. Coss buy vita games is different than generation crossbuy and reselling textures at 39.99 that is the current talk not hand helds.

Handy Fake

I got a warning by mods for questioning eastwood333's mental capacity. With all the unfounded FUD he's been spreading, where is the bloody justice?! Does this eastwood has a free pass to spread all the lies he wants, is he protected from above for being who he is?!
Nahhh, questioning mental capacity can be seen as a low blow as many will indeed have issues.

You've got quite enough ammo in the contents and quality of his posts to sink him to the ocean floor without resorting to that.;)

pasterpl

I've heard for months 12tflops is the most important metric next gen (despite every dev and his dog saying the SSD is the biggest thing about next gen).

Now MS is releasing a 4tflop console (rumoured) we're being told to ignore teraflops as 'the CPU in Series S is more powerful than PS5's'...

Lol please.

obviously you have no idea on how video games are made and what part of hardware is responsible for what in that process, and I love how you are stretching things,...good work

Vae_Victis

Banned

What a MASTER in the Spin skill. Goddamn!!! LOL

Frankly, held back is a meme that gets created by people who are too caught up in device competition. I just look at Windows. It’s almost certain if the developer is building a Windows version of their game, then the most powerful and highest fidelity version is the PC version. You can even see that with some of our first-party console games going to PC, even from our competitors, that the richest version is the PC version. Yet the PC ecosystem is the most diverse when it comes to hardware, when you think about the CPUs and GPUs from years ago that are there. Yes, every developer is going to find a line and say that this is the hardware that I am going to support, but the diversity of hardware choice in PC has not held back the highest fidelity PC games on the market.

This is quite a stance to take...

Is he saying that console exclusives don't generally utilize the hardware better than multiplatform games, and that the variety of possible components in the PC ecosystem doesn't have an effect on the effective utilization of the higher end parts? Because I'm pretty certain there is a mountain of historical and technical evidence with which you can convincingly disprove both of these assessments...

Dolomite

I can't wrap my head around the concern trolling. The people who are most vocal about the XSS FUD are people who have no intention of owning an Xbox to begin with. I plan own having both console down the line, but if one doesn't care for Xbox and only buys their PS for exclusives,why pretend to care about how the Rumored XSS Specs affects the XSX Development 😂🤦🏾‍♂️

CPU's already overclocks at 5Ghz i don't think it's physical problem maybe it's a 7nm node limit or material or something like that? i just want to know that's if it fails because of PS5 control unit can't handle such speeds.
For a few a know of that the problem is when nomenclature is just too small the electrons start to behave different and start
looks more following the quantum rules but I don't know I am not a physicist.
Most people play 3rd party games.
But the decision of purchase a console is very affected for the first party just looks Nintendo Switch.

At least you think the 3 companies are wrong.
Only when Sony fans can accept that sometimes companies brand features differently and "Smart Delivery" hasn't been completely unveiled yet.
Until now just looks Sony has exactly the same for the same games if you think not and try to use it as argument you would end up using a fallacy (ad ignorantiam).
It's directed at users who were claiming it was impossible then posting rubbish "evidence" where a passively cooled system slowly throttled overtime.
Doubt do you know the speed of your clock during running a normal benchmark against one with only AVX instructions?

Neo Blaster

Really i must of missed where we got our upgraded the last of us one and uncharted 1,2 copies and other ps3 games to ps4. Coss buy vita games is different than generation crossbuy and reselling textures at 39.99 that is the current talk not hand helds.
I never said crossbuy was available for every single cross-platform game, but PlayStation owners already knew it from many PS4/PS3/PSVITA games. And you know Smart Delivery is up to publishers to adopt or not, don't you?

Last edited:

Darius87

As a player you are the centre of our strategy,” the exec said. “Our device is not the centre of our strategy, our game is not the centre of the strategy. We want to enable you to play the games you want to play, with the friends you want to play with, on any device.
here you go guys apparently xsex is not about games and certainly ms doesn't care about xsex either.
they care about player but really don't understand that player cares about theyr console and what games can be achieved on xsex.
Phill's gonna end up like....
_67742271_67742270.jpg

Codeblew

XSX has a nearly a 2TF power advantage. Significantly more CU's, that according to devs, gives XSX about a 40% advantage in Ray Tracing capabilities.

Nobody is saying the XSX is significantly more powerful. Just stating a fact. It is more powerful and resolutions,framerates,ray tracing should be better on XSX. I think most would prefer those advantages over a 1-2 second faster loading time.

I am not going to be able to notice any graphics differences (if there are any) sitting 12 ft away from my TV. I will however notice 100%+ faster load times.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I never said crossbuy was available for every single cross-platform game, but PlayStation owners already knew it from many PS4/PS3/PSVITA games. And you know Smart Delivery is up to publishers to adopt or not, don't you?
That's my point Sony needs to promote the hell out of it to pressure publishers to support it. I don't know how many times i have to say it. Microsoft has little pull with the public. Sony could post 1 video and get millions of people educated and thirsty for this. Let the public pressure the scummy publishers into supporting this. Sony social media is weapon that could be used to end this scummy double dipping for textures nonsense.

Great Hair

Banned
Have my doubts, as for 1080p60 you need a 2080ti.
Hmmm. Looks quite big. Perhaps it's just the color and perspective...

Based on an online tool, seems fake. Also the person seems to be holding something 3D printed, round shaped? with the 3 fingers over a blue basket of sorts? Why not take the picture elsewhere? Use a normal table? A playboy magazine? The carpet? Nope ... gotta be that blue drawer for your utensils (fork, spoon, knife etc.)

Pp4kDqD.png

sircaw

Banned

Based on an online tool, seems fake. Also the person seems to be holding something 3D printed, round shaped? with the 3 fingers over a blue basket of sorts? Why not take the picture elsewhere? Use a normal table? A playboy magazine? The carpet? Nope ... gotta be that blue drawer for your utensils (fork, spoon, knife etc.)

Pp4kDqD.png

It does look rather huge, or i'm a Dwarf. ( SORRY FFS, i meant little person) :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:

pasterpl

Pp4kDqD.png

it does look fake, I am guessing that we will get lots of these “leaks” in the coming months

I am getting seriously concerned for all the people who can't let go of the "power advantage" narrative and keep chugging it over and over and over in so called "arguments", as if they're trying to ascert a sense of dominance. That shit is NOT healthy. I play games for fun, not to boost my ego or put others down. I couldn't care less about having a weaker or stronger gaming platform of choice as long as I enjoy its particular games. For christ's sake, I really hope the suppression techniques, bickering and trash talking won't go on for the entire PS5/XSX generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom