• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sircaw

Banned
Use your eyes, watch Austin's video. It drops below 30-20fps with the slightest movement with raytracing on. 60fps is probably with raytracing off.

Stop with the fud please Bo.

I got reliable information today that it's going to run at 120fps with full raytracing.

God damn Sony Peasant. Back to your tent.

70dae332a5aece9d24cd37a9006ac95220200818052524.jpg

4x more powerful than 2080Ti

IkarugaDE

Use your eyes, watch Austin's video. It drops below 30-20fps with the slightest movement with raytracing on. 60fps is probably with raytracing off.
By the way, welcome back! Didn't read all the pages after you disappeared cause it wasn't the same. :D

OT, do you watch champions league today and tomorrow? The team of my hometown and my favourite are in the semi final 👊😁

tenor.gif

RDNA2 is an evolution of RDNA so of course it's going to have alot of similarities. What I noticed from Marks talk is how he said RDNA2 CUs. I'm guessing the CUs are one of the things different from RDNA since he said that. There's probably other things but I'm not sure what they are.

Edit: Just saw this.

It makes perfect sense to me and I expect alot from the previous RDNAs to be in RDNA3.

Last edited:
Good luck getting that in realistic next gen graphics, by the way.
as a playstation proponent, I find it funny that you talk like that.
since we already know that CUs is the place were raytracing calculations will take place,
and ps5 has 50% less than xbox, here is a simple example for you to ponder:
lets say a game -a third party game- uses 28 CUs on ps5 for everything else, and keeps 8 for ray tracing effects.
xbox can easily use 36 Cus for everything else, over-compensating the max possible Hz difference, and still have more than double the available CUs for raytracing effects.

should I wish you good luck?

sircaw

Banned
By the way, welcome back! Didn't read all the pages after you disappeared cause it wasn't the same. :D

OT, do you watch champions league today and tomorrow? The team of my hometown and my favourite are in the semi final 👊😁

Wtf the fuck dude i was still here, i am like Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem 2.0, terminator 2 was better than 1, I don't care what anyone says.

Please don't tell me you value Bo more than me, Wtf is it, the camel>? the oil fields? the Harem.?

You're off my god damn Xmas turkey list.

geordiemp

Hot chips MS n Dx12 abstraction layers

Are you happy as DX12 as a low hardware API?

A: DX12 is very versatile - we have some Xbox specific enhancements that power developers can use. But we try to have consistency between Xbox and PC. Divergence isn't that good. But we work with developers when designing these chips so that their needs are met.

Not heard many complains so far (as a silicon person!). We have a SMASH driver model. The games on the binaries implement the hardware layed out data that the GPU eats directly - it's not a HAL layer abstraction. MS also re-writes the driver and smashes it together, we replace that and the firmware in the GPU. It's significantly more efficient than the PC.

since we already know that CUs is the place were raytracing calculations will take place,
lets say a game -a third party game- uses 28 CUs on ps5 for everything else, and keeps 8 for ray tracing effects.
xbox can easily use 36 Cus for everything else, over-compensating the max possible Hz difference, and still have more than double the available CUs for raytracing effects.

Your post just shows that you didn't get how RT works at all on both consoles.

Neo Blaster

Considering calculations people already made here based on the Hot Chips info, there's a difference of just 18% in number of Grays between both consoles. And let's not forget that rays can have more bounces in PS5 thanks to the higher frequency.

No need to wish me luck at all.

Considering calculations people already made here based on the Hot Chips info, there's a difference of just 18% in number of Grays between both consoles. And let's not forget that rays can have more bounces in PS5 thanks to the higher frequency.

If its true that XsX can only do RT or use TMU at the same time but also true that Sony decoupled RT operations from TMUs then PS5 will have the upper hand...

what calculations? oh, you mean like calculating how much rt power the consoles would have if they did nothing else with their CUs but raytrace?
ok, I'll give you that: when both ps5 (at full speed) and box are rendering nothing and playing nothing, the rt difference between them would theoretically be at around 18%
now go back to what I wrote and re-read

Last edited:
Something is not ready, I read a few months back on b3d they were still working on Velocity Architecture.

Makes sense, no games shown on XSX, no fast loading shown. YET.
Something is up. Sony is supposed to be having all these problems but they managed to show games on the PS5.

I wonder what's going on with the XSX? I believe it's something to do with the dev kits and the I/0 but no idea what those issues are if they really exist.

jose4gg

what calculations? oh, you mean like calculating how much rt power the consoles would have if they did nothing else with their CUs but raytrace?
ok, I'll give you that: when both ps5 (at full speed) and box are rendering nothing and playing nothing, the rt difference between them would theoretically be at around 18%

The problem is that you are suggesting something that is not real...

Xbox can use 36 CU for rendering and the rest for RT, PS5 can't do that because it just has 36 CU... Yea, but PS5 has more clock speed per CU, meaning Xbox will be at a disadvantage if something like that happens...

The reality is PS5 can use 8 CU for RT for example, and XSX can use 12, but RT will be calculated faster per CU in the PS5, making the difference one more time 18% percent...

The calculation that has been used to show this 18% already includes the difference in CU count between both systems, whatever ends up been the real number of CU used for RT, the number will decrease proportionally between both consoles, and the difference in performance will stay the same.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

one could say that their adoption of amd's variable clocks thingy was indeed a reaction to what ms did.
I mean, over the years we've seen how sony is able to have an answer in the most loud way and even in the next day, IF that is to their benefit. remember "how to share games" video?

AMD's variable clocks thingy?

My understanding from R2PS5 is the variable clocks are something Sony came up with that AMD helped them with and that Sony then added AMD's SmartShift "while we're at it" that only shifts electrical power between CPU/GPU. It has nothing to do with the variable clocks.

And even if the variable clocks are a AMD thing just take a look at this graph posted on Beyond3D that shows PC GPUs already have constantly variable clocks:

Iw8HhDy.jpg

Darius87

52CU's - 100%
36Cu's - X%
X% = 100 - ((36CU's * 100%) / 52CU's) = 30.7% where's 50% from?

also RT works in parallel not allocating individual CU's.
also PS5 RT solution is more elegant then RDNA 2.0 not sure what that means but it's likely customized.
also RT can be calculated along with other ops except textures ops because it's shared 4 ops/clock.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
- PS5 struggling to hit 4k60, expect lots of game to be 1440p/60(fake 4k)
- XSS is perfect 1440p/60 machine
Does this make sense?

There will likely be a number games on both systems with 1440p options. This is an opinion of mine, not a fact.

Everything is game to game. Despite the Hot Chips deep dive showing us a VERY impressive set up, I will say, there is no proper breadth of games, nor tech analysis for out there on these non-existent games to make any claims.

Both systems will have games and run them. Some games will look great, some like shit. That's what we know. Here's when we don't. Everything else.

Let's wait and see, shall we?

ToadMan

AMD's variable clocks thingy?

My understanding from R2PS5 is the variable clocks are something Sony came up with that AMD helped them with and that Sony then added AMD's SmartShift "while we're at it" that only shifts electrical power between CPU/GPU. It has nothing to do with the variable clocks.

And even if the variable clocks are a AMD thing just take a look at this graph posted on Beyond3D that shows PC GPUs already have constantly variable clocks:

Iw8HhDy.jpg

I hadn’t seen this slide before but is interesting - thanks for posting.

It seems to me that those down spikes in the clock - outliers due to excessive power demand - are exactly the point of smartshift.

Rather than downclock due to insufficient power, smartshift allows the gpu to consume untapped cpu power, allowing the clocks to remain near peak and under load.

Neo Blaster

You are the one who should re-read, dude, this calculation was made based on the number of Grays MS themselves disclosed in one of the slides. If that's a peak number when CUs are doing nothing else, then it applies to both XSX and PS5, considering ALL CUs each machine has, so what I said still goes.

Brudda26

52CU's - 100%
36Cu's - X%

also PS5 RT solution is more elegant then RDNA 2.0 not sure what that means but it's likely customized.
also RT can be calculated along with other ops except textures ops because it's shared 4 ops/clock.
Just to add something to this ap per hotchips xsx cant cast Ray's and operate TMU at the same time. You have to either do 4 ray ops or 4 texture ops you cant do both at the same time. So xsx can never use all 52 CU for ray tracing.

jose4gg

You are the one who should re-read, dude, this calculation was made based on the number of Grays MS themselves disclosed in one of the slides. If that's a peak number when CUs are doing nothing else, then it applies to both XSX and PS5, considering ALL CUs each machine has, so what I said still goes.

He is committing a very simple mistake, normally committed in math, what he suggests is that XSX can always have more CU than PS5 so PS5 and XSX will have the same CU for let say rasterization but XSX will have more CU for RT. He does not consider that because CU in PS5 runs faster rasterization would be better in PS5.

Where the point is that if both PS5 and XSX just use part of the CU for their RT, the difference in performance will continue to be the same.

PS5 -> 10, XSX ~15 => 18%
PS5 -> 20, XSX ~30=> 18%

Yes, XSX will always use more CU, but the difference will be always proportional to the total of the max capacity for both of them.

DaGwaphics

I can see people make claims that the variable clocks will make PS5 drop below Lockharts TF count.

Just another wave of FUD waiting to be spread around.

giphy.gif

When you think about it, those lower clocks might be easier to maintain. It's possible that PS5 continues to lose power over time, both short-term from the heat production and via long-term negative effects on the silicone. Sony might be 10.2 to start, give or take 2 or 3 TFs off the top, but as time goes on you've got to figure smartshift starts to get more "special" (the Kardashian effect), and then you're down to what 2TFs if you are lucky. I'm just joking, but it's actually very logical if you think about it or don't.

IkarugaDE

4bv6g7.jpg

Well, I was happy you spanked Barca, but would like a bozo to win the champions league like PSG or Lyon.

Wtf the fuck dude i was still here, i am like Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem 2.0, terminator 2 was better than 1, I don't care what anyone says.

Please don't tell me you value Bo more than me, Wtf is it, the camel>? the oil fields? the Harem.?

You're off my god damn Xmas turkey list.
Well, I like you 2. But ur looking a bit fishy to me.🧐

I Hope the final to be Liepzig vs Bayern
Would be nice on the one hand, but then I would be lost. Leipzig is my hometown and Bayern my favourite Club since I was a kid. I couldn't decide who I would treat more.😂

Elog

He is committing a very simple mistake, normally committed in math, what he suggests is that XSX can always have more CU than PS5 so PS5 and XSX will have the same CU for let say rasterization but XSX will have more CU for RT. He does not consider that because CU in PS5 runs faster rasterization would be better in PS5.

Where the point is that if both PS5 and XSX just use part of the CU for their RT, the difference in performance will continue to be the same.

PS5 -> 10, XSX ~15 => 18%
PS5 -> 20, XSX ~30=> 18%

Yes, XSX will always use more CU, but the difference will be always proportional to the total of the max capacity for both of them.

Please note that you assume that the RT solution is the same on the two machines. We do not know that. In the past Sony has done several customisations even on the CU level. We have to wait to see what their RT solution is until we have a hot-chip like breakdown of the PS5.

I am not sure that most people even know that half the CUs in the PS4 pro was different than all other CUs that AMD has made. Sony has never revealed what change they implemented but you can see on the silicon that each CU in one block has a larger mm2 silicon foot print.

On the PS4 basic model Sony added Shader capacity to the CU block compared to the basic AMD layout that the Xbox had.

And so on.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

jose4gg

giphy.gif

When you think about it, those lower clocks might be easier to maintain. It's possible that PS5 continues to lose power over time, both short-term from the heat production and via long-term negative effects on the silicone. Sony might be 10.2 to start, give or take 2 or 3 TFs off the top, but as time goes on you've got to figure smartshift starts to get more "special" (the Kardashian effect), and then you're down to what 2TFs if you are lucky. I'm just joking, but it's actually very logical if you think about it or don't.

😂 I would be worried if Smarshift worked based on heat...

Gamerguy84

This isnt trolling.

MS is very far behind in everything whatever the reasons are.

Geordie showed the post from B3D about final dev kits. I remember now where I read about VA. No one has seen them publicly.

Everything at their show was running on a PC.

The Halo debacle.

XSS hasnt even been mentioned and nothing from hot chips so Id be surprised if it launched soon.

On the flipside pictures of PS5 devkits were out a long time ago (the V) and there has been revisions.

Everything at Sony show was pulled from an actual PS5.

PS5 has software at launch and a lot more in the launch window.

Just give me the price and a pre-order button.

sircaw

Banned
This isnt trolling.

MS is very far behind in everything whatever the reasons are.

Geordie showed the post from B3D about final dev kits. I remember now where I read about VA. No one has seen them publicly.

Everything at their show was running on a PC.

The Halo debacle.

XSS hasnt even been mentioned and nothing from hot chips so Id be surprised if it launched soon.

On the flipside pictures of PS5 devkits were out a long time ago (the V) and there has been revisions.

Everything at Sony show was pulled from an actual PS5.

PS5 has software at launch and a lot more in the launch window.

Just give me the price and a pre-order button.

Discord emergency meeting initiated

booting in 3.2.1

Please note that you assume that the RT solution is the same on the two machines. We do not know that. In the past Sony has done several customisations even on the CU level. We have to wait to see what their RT solution is until we have a hot-chip like breakdown of the PS5.

I am not sure that most people even know that half the CUs in the PS4 pro was different than all other CUs that AMD has made. Sony has never revealed what change they implemented but you can see on the silicon that each CU in one block has a larger mm2 silicon foot print.

On the PS4 basic model Sony added Shader capacity to the CU block compared to the basic AMD layout that the Xbox had.

And so on.

Edit: Spelling

This brings up an interesting thought. I wonder if Series X was designed (assuming) less custom or less different from the norm to not screw cross compatibility with PC, first and foremost, and Series S. As this machine was built to be cross compatible from the start, whereas PS5 doesnt have these constraints.

Mr Moose

50% less what? CUs? It's ~30% less.
Edit: Beaten.

Last edited:
52CU's - 100%
36Cu's - X%

ps5 36 CUs are 100%
xbox 52 CUs are n%

so xbox has n= 52*100 /36= 144,5% the cu's ps5 has. (somehow when I did the calculation in my mind before, I used 54cus instead of 52, hence the 150% instead of 144%)

as for the "elegant solutions" mystique and etc cerny sweet talk, yeah, ok.
both consoles are customized. why should sony's undescribed solution be more "elegant" than microsoft's? if anything, from what both companies have shown until now it seems that more "elegant" is the microsoft approach. (form factor, thermal footprint, Hz, power levels etc)
the "allocation" was to make the example easier to understand. would you prefer to break it down to cycles of individual CU's?

The problem is that you are suggesting something that is not real...

Xbox can use 36 CU for rendering and the rest for RT, PS5 can't do that because it just has 36 CU... Yea, but PS5 has more clock speed per CU, meaning Xbox will be at a disadvantage if something like that happens...

The reality is PS5 can use 8 CU for RT for example, and XSX can use 12, but RT will be calculated faster per CU in the PS5, making the difference one more time 18% percent...

The calculation that has been used to show this 18% already includes the difference in CU count between both systems, whatever ends up been the real number of CU used for RT, the number will decrease proportionally between both consoles, and the difference in performance will stay the same.
no, I wrote that for the same 28 CUs that PS5 allocates to rendering/shading/etc, xbox allocates 36, thus already over-compensating for the Mhz difference when ps5 runs at full speed.
then, while ps5 will have 8 CUs, xbox will still have 52-36= 16 and not 12, twice as many just like I wrote above.

on top, if you want to get more complicated, I'd ask that -since this sounds like a "worst case game" scenario per cerny's vocabulary- what would the real ps5 clockspeeds be at that case?

anyway....

soonish there will be no more "elegant mysteries", that's one thing that is for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom