• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.XtremeGamer

Neo Member
it's going to be whole rdna 2.0 and on top of that secret souce there's no sense in releasing new console in late 2020 with 1 and half year old arch, same thing happend with ps4 it had never gcn which was only available on ps4 then soon followed amd pc cards.
add to this 7nm euv and we have 10+ tflops consoles with 200w -220w dsp.
The ps4 used a gpu based on amd's "Southern Islands" gpu arch with some enhancements such as 8 asynchronous compute engines (ACE) which is a feature that hadn't become a staple on amd gpus until 6 months later when the "Volcanic Islands" arch debuted with the r9 290x, after amd had been using only 2 ACE units in its gpus for a long time. The ps4 pro currently has a gpu based on the "Polaris" arch with some enhancements from the "Vega" architecture including but not limited to FP16 Rapid Packed Math. Cerny already said that the ps5 will have a gpu based on the RDNA architecture and since he revealed that it'll also feature dedicated ray tracing hardware it'll also feature enhancements from RDNA 2, not the whole architecture. And I'm pretty much certain that Scarlett will take a similar approach (RDNA with RDNA 2 specific enhancements such as dedicated ray tracing hardware).

Last edited:
That guy is a fraud. It was obvious from the beginning.
Actually it's a woman if you read her tweets...

Anyway, it looks like Sony is priming us for something big with all these 25-year articles, unless you think that's a coincidence.

Since kutaragi ken left the boat, my interest in sony hardware has dropped. Its not the same.

The offtheshelf stuff isnt as interesting.

Next gen im probably buying a gaming pc.
I get the exotic love, but for most people it's all about the games. As long as they run good, nobody cares about the underlying ISA.

Last edited:
Since kutaragi ken left the boat, my interest in sony hardware has dropped. Its not the same.

I agree overall the hardware isn't as interesting to pick apart (I was really digging the cartridge idea and it being ReRAM; before that, the SSG stuff. Either of those could still happen but I'd think it'd be ReRAM soldered to the board directly). Everything these days is fairly straightforward.

But it's still fun to talk about. Just guessing at possible memory bandwidths, for example, is kinda fun and fairly reasonable to do given what we know they'll be aiming for. Something's better than nothing.

...also it was a complete bust for any real info. Damnit...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Cerny was limited by a $399 price tag and still managed to give us the 8GB GDDR5 megaton and the most powerful console of this generation.

He also gave us vita which cost the same as a 3DS when it was first announced and had some pretty amazing visuals and features for its time. vita was an extraordinary handheld in so many ways.

I think the PS5 will be Cerny's magnum opus. hardware Ray tracing, fastest SSD known to man, 13-14 tflops, ReRAM, HBM2, 7n EUV, 3d audio chip and lord knows what else. everything is on the table thanks to the likely $499 budget hes been given. He has MS legit shook reviving Lockheart and going back on their 'set the benchmark' claims just last gen. Remember what ruthentic cookie said last year, the PS5 is a $499 monster and sony will be willing to take a $100 loss. PS4's BOM was only $381. Cerny has got over $200 to play with. I think he is going to blow us away.

there has been a lot of pessimism due to the $399 PS4 and Pro consoles cerny created and rightfully so, but i think Sony is going all out and they are going back to the ruthlessness of the PS1 and PS2 era Sony. Think about it, how else could they have beaten the specs of the most powerful SKU MS was building? Anaconda was supposed to be the most powerful console ever made. And now according to most rumors, PS5 is even more powerful. How? There is only one explanation. Cerny went super saiyan, and sony is willing to take losses on consoles again. that insane prototype ps5 might be our biggest clue to what they have cooking up. they could've easily fit that in a big box like the pro devkit, but for whatever reason they have vents coming out of its ass.

i have no doubt this is coming off as fanboy dreaming, but everything is pointing to sony launching an amazing console. i guess we will find out soon enough.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Cerny was limited by a $399 price tag and still managed to give us the 8GB GDDR5 megaton and the most powerful console of this generation.

He also gave us vita which cost the same as a 3DS when it was first announced and had some pretty amazing visuals and features for its time. vita was an extraordinary handheld in so many ways.

I think the PS5 will be Cerny's magnum opus. hardware Ray tracing, fastest SSD known to man, 13-14 tflops, ReRAM, HBM2, 7n EUV, 3d audio chip and lord knows what else. everything is on the table thanks to the likely $499 budget hes been given. He has MS legit shook reviving Lockheart and going back on their 'set the benchmark' claims just last gen. Remember what ruthentic cookie said last year, the PS5 is a $499 monster and sony will be willing to take a $100 loss. PS4's BOM was only $381. Cerny has got over $200 to play with. I think he is going to blow us away.

there has been a lot of pessimism due to the $399 PS4 and Pro consoles cerny created and rightfully so, but i think Sony is going all out and they are going back to the ruthlessness of the PS1 and PS2 era Sony. Think about it, how else could they have beaten the specs of the most powerful SKU MS was building? Anaconda was supposed to be the most powerful console ever made. And now according to most rumors, PS5 is even more powerful. How? There is only one explanation. Cerny went super saiyan, and sony is willing to take losses on consoles again. that insane prototype ps5 might be our biggest clue to what they have cooking up. they could've easily fit that in a big box like the pro devkit, but for whatever reason they have vents coming out of its ass.

i have no doubt this is coming off as fanboy dreaming, but everything is pointing to sony launching an amazing console. i guess we will find out soon enough.

This x1000

Cerny is the man in my book and I'm very optimistic in what he has in store. He hasn't let "me" down yet.
And Vita was a premium and great handheld ahead of its time and marred by tht proprietary memory bs but I loved mine until I broke it on a drunk night lol 😔rip og Vita.

PS5 I know will be something special.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This x1000

Cerny is the man in my book and I'm very optimistic in what he has in store. He hasn't let "me" down yet.
And Vita was a premium and great handheld ahead of its time and marred by tht proprietary memory bs but I loved mine until I broke it on a drunk night lol 😔rip og Vita.

PS5 I knkw will be something special.
i love my vita. played it for like six months straight. then never again. sony did it dirty.

What an incredible read. Thanks.

Edit:

ITO: There was a strong order and demand coming from Mr. Kutaragi to reduce the cost. However, the PS3 incorporated a wide range of the most advanced technology, which means that it was not easy to reduce the cost. Whenever we tried to do something about it, everything was very, very tough. One experience I recall vividly is because we were told to reduce the cost constantly, and repeatedly, I decided to come up with intentionally a very cheap looking and cheap prototype satisfying the cost aspect and showed the prototype to Mr. Kutaragi. As soon as Mr. Kutaragi saw it, he threw that on the floor and broke it into pieces. I was surprised, but then I realized that what Mr. Kutaragi tried to stress is that even though it may be difficult, we should never come up with anything that looks cheap. The PS console is the epitome of all the advanced technology, so the PS console should give the impression that it incorporates all the technology and is worthy of showing that. That was a very important lesson that Mr. Kutaragi gave to me, and that has been the leading pillar of my thinking in design concepts and ideas.

Crazy Ken. Gotta love this guy.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Well we do know that they were planning to launch in 2019 but changed their plans for next year. But I think they would have at least gone with a first generation Zen before ever entertaining Jaguar cores.
Was first gen Zen 7nm? It’s not entirely unthinkable that a Jag APU was considered at one point early in development of the PS5. Glad it’s gonna be Zen 2 though.

Mass Shift

Well we do know that they were planning to launch in 2019 but changed their plans for next year. But I think they would have at least gone with a first generation Zen before ever entertaining Jaguar cores.

Jaguar is essentially what killed enthusiasm for the consoles here in North America. I remember the fierce discussions that broke out about them. Sony and MS were pushing APUs that many here felt were already way behind the technology curve. Everyone knew rez and frames were going to be sloppy because of Jaguar. This is what preceded the Great Rez and Frame Gate debate. Geezus what a meltdown 😵

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
Yet as you can see Digital Foundry really believed that based on their sources. Yes, PS4 Pro has jaguar cores, but 2017 PS5 SOC would still offer massive GPU performance jump compared to PS4Pro and jaguar cores would be improved as well. Maybe they were considering Jaguar cores for BC reasons.

Your biggest mistake is taking DF (funded by MS) word seriously on anything Sony related.

FranXico

Your biggest mistake is taking DF (funded by MS) word seriously on anything Sony related.
I don't think that's entirely accurate nowadays.
Richard Leadbetter certainly is a MS fanboy, and in the early days of DF in EG last gen, they used to be heavily sponsored by MS.
But this gen, I don't know where they stand on sponsorship other than some videos/articles being sponsored by different companies (including both MS and Sony). For example: Sony sponsored Horizon Zero Dawn coverage, and MS did the same for Gears 5.

pawel86ck

Banned
Even if Digital Foundry take money from MS, their estimation is at least reasonable. Current Digital Foundry estimation for PS5 is 8-9TF Navi, and based on facts (RX 5700 heat and power consumption) their estimation is way more realistic than lets say 14TF (right now nothing points to 14TF Navi besides people wishes).

These jaguar cores in 2017 PS5 SOC would offer better BC, and with further improvements these jaguar cores should be faster than PS4P CPU. maybe even 2x as fast. Let's assume 2x better CPU, and 2-3x better GPU compared to PS4P, that would be still big improvement. Of course if leak is correct then I'm happy Sony has changed their mind, because BC feature should be not a main focus in PS5 and I would rather see better graphics thanks to Ryzen2.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Even if Digital Foundry take money from MS, their estimation is at least reasonable. Current Digital Foundry estimation for PS5 is 8-9TF Navi, and based on facts (RX 5700 heat and power consumption) their estimation is way more realistic than lets say 14TF (right now nothing points to 14TF Navi besides people wishes).

These jaguar cores in 2017 PS5 SOC would offer better BC, and with further improvements these jaguar cores should be faster than PS4P CPU. maybe even 2x as fast. Let's assume 2x better CPU, and 2-3x better GPU compared to PS4P, that would be still big improvement. Of course if leak is correct then I'm happy Sony has changed their mind, because BC feature should be not a main focus in PS5 and I would rather see better graphics thanks to Ryzen2.

Most ppl here have theorized 12tf and for the most part thts been the narrative. DF with their 8 TF estimations is laughable. We know the deal when it comes to them. I don't take nothing thy say as gospel nor anyone else's gibberish. It'll probably end up at around 11tf.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned

These jaguar cores in 2017 PS5 SOC would offer better BC, and with further improvements these jaguar cores should be faster than PS4P CPU. maybe even 2x as fast. Let's assume 2x better CPU compared to PS4P, and 2-3x better GPU compared to PS4P, that would be still big improvement compared to PS4P. Of course if leak is correct then I;m happy Sony has changed their mind and used Ryzen 2, because I would rather play new games with better graphics than older games on new console.

Where did their moderation go when they called the CPU on Scorpio "8 evolved custom x86 cores" and its GPU "40 customized cores" steering away from both Jaguar and GCN after preaching for ages that Scorpio will use Zen processor?

Are you telling me that there is no agenda here at expecting PS5 to use Jaguar cores? Also their so called conservative estimation of 8TF was based on Vega.

They are just a bunch of biased deteriorating nerds.

Last edited:

Fake

According to some leaks PS5 was originally planed with jaguar CPU.
739785.jpg

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I know absolutely nothing about chips and flops or any of that shit so I wont ever speculate that I know anything about any of that, but to me it seems from just a common sense perspective If AMD is working with both Microsoft and Sony to optimize their hardware it would be to their own detriment to have whatever they are working on in these machines be markedly more powerful than the other.

pawel86ck

Banned
Most ppl here have theorized 12tf and for the most part thts been the narrative. DF with their 8 TF estimations is laughable. We know the deal when it comes to them. I don't take nothing thy say as gospel nor anyone else's gibberish.
Yes, people here including myself would hope to see 12TF GPU, but my hope is CURRENTLY based on wishes, not on facts. Cant you see how hot and power hungry RX5700 XT (9TF GPU) already is? Of course we all know PS5 GPU architecture will be even more power efficient (RDNA1.5 or 2), so with better thermals and power consumption compared to first gen RDNA 9TF GPU should be finally achievable in a console after all, but 12TF or 14TF? AMD would need to improve thermals and power consumption in their GPU's once again as much as they did with first gen Navi. Will see, maybe they will surprise us (I hope), but currently 8-8-9TF Navi is the most realistic scenario, and I cant blame Digital Foundry for their realistic point of you.

Last edited:

What does them being partially funded by MS have to do with their credibility? As far as tech analysis places go they're one of the best. This is like saying you can't trust the blu-ray drive in an Xbox because Sony made it.

Most ppl here have theorized 12tf and for the most part thts been the narrative. DF with their 8 TF estimations is laughable. We know the deal when it comes to them. I don't take nothing thy say as gospel nor anyone else's gibberish. It'll probably end up at around 11tf.

People can have different-yet-valid reasons for reaching conclusions. Just because their 8TF early predictions didn't agree with your own doesn't mean it was some conspiracy. That's pretty childish to even consider unless you have cold, hard proof.

If the issue was them thinking 8TF with PS5, well that's mainly because most next-gen rumors were centered around PS5. Given the 2019 date they had in mind at first and probably from sources they heard, 8TF Navi seemed doable if they were shooting for $399. But then we heard word that plans had changed and they were possibly beefing up specifications, and here we are.

Last edited:

Mr.XtremeGamer

Neo Member
He’s still around? I thought he had vanished after the dGpu fiasco.

Sure, AMD won't have RDNA2 available for Sony, that is a much bigger client than MS (at least double the orders this gen) , but they will reserve it for MS to launch a console at the same time. LOL
Vanished? Pfft! He's still hiding in his personal shit posting blog and twitter and throws a full fit when he's called out for his bs. He even goes as far as to block users who use logic in their arguments against him. He's now more clueless and brainless than he's ever been. People like him and his fanbase never change and those clueless drones still believe him even after he has been embarrassed and shamed multiple times for the nonsense he throws around.

Tarkus98

Where is all this 2019 PS5 launch date coming from. I don’t recall Sony ever saying they were launching in 2019. Did I miss something or is there another agenda going on here?

Conflict of interest
This is what the poster above means.

Not that I think it matters when part of their content is sponsored any way.

I mean sure, that can potentially be an issue, agreed. But they still need some substantiated proof to claim it, otherwise it's basically a wild theory or rumor. I personally like DF's output (particularly the retro-orientated stuff) and they've been an asset to the scene; there's nothing in terms of outright controversies they've been involved in previously so I can give them the benefit of the doubt and believe they're being honest in their coverage.

Think that both DF and MS would be too aware of any outrage over actual collusion to entertain creating FUD.

Gamernyc78

Banned
What does them being partially funded by MS have to do with their credibility? As far as tech analysis places go they're one of the best. This is like saying you can't trust the blu-ray drive in an Xbox because Sony made it.

People can have different-yet-valid reasons for reaching conclusions. Just because their 8TF early predictions didn't agree with your own doesn't mean it was some conspiracy. That's pretty childish to even consider unless you have cold, hard proof.

If the issue was them thinking 8TF with PS5, well that's mainly because most next-gen rumors were centered around PS5. Given the 2019 date they had in mind at first and probably from sources they heard, 8TF Navi seemed doable if they were shooting for $399. But then we heard word that plans had changed and they were possibly beefing up specifications, and here we are.

Childish is taking the word from any entity whether they are professionals or not and thinking it holds any more weight than any others bcus it's literally tales from their ass and has an agenda behind it. Having business and dealings with another company plays a part on how they go about painting pictures of competitors, if ppl think tht doesn't play a part in ppls narratives than thts being naive. 8tf is laughable bcus it's not tht big of a jump considering the X is 6tf.

Thts just my take based on all these years observing how thy move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom