• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrostyJ93

Sounds good to me. I know some are against it but you have to look at the bigger picture. Xbox is more of a service now.

Last edited:

FrostyJ93

4 teraflops, around the same as the Pro..... that's gonna screw the whole generation up if people go out buying that shit and think it's 'next gen'.

4-5 Navi TFs should be comparable to like 7-8 Vega TFs.

Plus Lockhart should be same as scarlett in terms of CPU and SSD.

FranXico

4 teraflops, around the same as the Pro..... that's gonna screw the whole generation up if people go out buying that shit and think it's 'next gen'.
You're talking about a company that is investing wholesale on streaming and games subscriptions even if it brings damage to the industry long term. They want absolute control over what people play, and how they play it. Do you think they care?

FrostyJ93

I'm not too worried since even if its weaker its the same stuff. SSD, GDDR6, Navi, and Zen. Devs will make it work. They always have.

Heck look at the switch its doing great.

CyberPanda

Banned
"Microsoft’s ideal target performances are said to be 4K resolution and 60 frames-per-second on Anaconda and 1440p resolution and 60 frames-per-second on Lockhart. (That doesn’t mean that every single game on these consoles will live up to that performance—it’s the target that Microsoft is pushing developers to hit.)"

"For many months, rumors have swirled about the performance differences between Scarlett and the PlayStation 5, and pundits have speculated as to which console will be beefier. What’s become clear, based on our conversations with developers, is that there’s no straight answer to that question yet. Common consensus is that both consoles have roughly similar specs, and that the biggest differences may lie in other factors, like operating system features or slight technical edges that Sony or Microsoft are keeping under wraps. The biggest and perhaps most important question is one that still has no final answer: How much will these things cost?"

FrostyJ93

How do you know that? Lockhart was even canceled at sometime ago.

Source common sense. Of course lockhart will have the same architectures as anaconda. If the main cutbacka are no disc and half the GPU power it should be fine.

However if this happens we can kiss the disc based one s and one x goodbye in terms of being sold.

Fake

Source common sense. Of course lockhart will have the same architectures as anaconda. If the main cutbacka are no disc and half the GPU power it should be fine.

However if this happens we can kiss the disc based one s and one x goodbye in terms of being sold.
Right... so you don't know.

Bryank75

Banned
You're talking about a company that is investing wholesale on streaming and games subscriptions even if it brings damage to the industry long term. They want absolute control over what people play, and how they play it. Do you think they care?
So true, it's been obvious to me that they don't care if they sink the whole industry as long as they get their way since they started the gamespass subscription.

They couldn't compete on content, so now they just want to undercut everyone they can.

Now they will market this console as 'next gen' on the cheap and ignorant moms and young kids will buy it thinking they are getting the same thing as a PS5..... disgusting.

Last edited:

FrostyJ93

This so much. The community just refuses to accept it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

PS4 Pro raw power. So it IS 4 tflops.

What a load of shit. I cant believe MS is doing this again. They shoot themselves in the foot every time and try to take us down with them.

Thankfully, gamers rejected the always online, forced kinect and lack of used games bullshit they tried to pull last gen so hopefully a similar backlash will convince them to shove that 4 tflops console up their own ass.

NO ONE wants a 4 tflops console gimping an entire gen. NO ONE. well no one aside from MS fanboys wishing it will help them win the sales war and Phil who will get a big bonus for selling a 100 million of these pathetic consoles. all this for a few dollars. shameful. utterly shameful.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
PS4 Pro raw power. So it IS 4 tflops.

What a load of shit. I cant believe MS is doing this again. They shoot themselves in the foot every time and try to take us down with them.

Thankfully, gamers rejected the always online, forced kinect and lack of used games bullshit they tried to pull last gen so hopefully a similar backlash will convince them to shove that 4 tflops console up their own ass.

NO ONE wants a 4 tflops console gimping an entire gen. NO ONE. well no one aside from MS fanboys wishing it will help them win the sales war and Phil who will get a big bonus for selling a 100 million of these pathetic consoles. all this for a few dollars. shameful. utterly shameful.

Don't under estimate how many units this will sale to confused buyers simply because of the cheaper price.

So many mothers buying their kids a new console next Christmas will see that cheaper price and thats what the kids will get.

Though I 100% agree with you I hate the fact this console is possibly in play.

Bryank75

Banned
Don't under estimate how many units this will sale to confused buyers simply because of the cheaper price.

So many mothers buying their kids a new console next Christmas will see that cheaper price and thats what the kids will get.

It's gonna hold the whole industry back, only exclusives will be pushing boundaries again.....
MS are screwing this whole thing.

SlimySnake

yeah, i just realized that casuals dont give a shit and likely wouldnt know the difference which is what MS is counting on. they think everyone would simply think of this as a HDD less 360 Arcade which had identical CPU and GPU specs. shady as hell but it will work.

and lets not forget that publishers will force devs to support it. this is wrong on so many levels.
Once again 4 navi teraflops are better than 4 polaris teraflops.
not by much. best case scenario you are looking at 6 polaris tflops.

and besides, it will be 3x worse than 12 navi tflops of anaconda and ps5.

R600

Banned
I know certain fans of certain company on certain forum are up in arms regarding Lockhart news, but I always saw Lockhart as very logical step for MS (and Sony).

Having two consoles, A and B, that share the same CPU, same SSD, same GPU tech, one having 2-3x more TFLOPs, but also playing games on considerably higher resolution, is smart.

I imagine they will position them like this :

Anaconda and PS5 4k top specs - 499$

Lockhart entry level next gen - 1080p/1440p, weaker GPU and no disc drive - 299/349$

BAM!!!Thats damn good strat. Anaconda and PS5 play games at 4K high settings, Lockhart plays them at medium in 1440p.

MS will also make Xcloud farm of Lockhart consoles as resolution for streaming is not required to be anything more then 1440p, so perfect oportunity to put thousands upon thousands of discless Lockharts on cloud.

10/10. As Phil implied the other day, they wont be beaten on specs nor price so Lockhart makes complete sense.

FrostyJ93

I know certain fans of certain company on certain forum are up in arms regarding Lockhart news, but I always saw Lockhart as very logical step for MS (and Sony).

Having two consoles, A and B, that share the same CPU, same SSD, same GPU tech, one having 2-3x more TFLOPs, but also playing games on considerably higher resolution, is smart.

I imagine they will position them like this :

Anaconda and PS5 4k top specs - 499$

Lockhart entry level next gen - 1080p/1440p, weaker GPU and no disc drive - 299/349$

BAM!!!Thats damn good strat. Anaconda and PS5 play games at 4K high settings, Lockhart plays them at medium in 1440p.

MS will also make Xcloud farm of Lockhart consoles as resolution for streaming is not required to be anything more then 1440p, so perfect oportunity to put thousands upon thousands of discless Lockharts on cloud.

10/10. As Phil implied the other day, they wont be beaten on specs nor price so Lockhart makes complete sense.

Exactly. The xbox we grew up with is dead. Xbox is a service. They just want you to play their games. The hardware is a means to an end now. It will be fine.

Fake

Make me wonder, the quote "and both sound VERY powerful" means TF > 10?

edit: That Tom Warren... Christ what a dumbass.

Last edited:
When it get's dry people bring Digital Foundry, like it's wise to blow your credibility for a pay check.

Has anyone checked out ps Erebus Twitter since yesterdays bomba?... I don't have Twitter account to do that.

:messenger_neutral:.........................................................................................................................................................................DAMN!

vpance

It's interesting if MS decided to cancel and now un-cancel Lockhart. Might be an indication of how competitve they felt Scarlett would be vs PS5 on its own, like a year ago vs now.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
lmao

nhLa3v3.jpg

There goes Klee, and Matt’s credibility. Poof.

R600

Banned
It's interesting if MS decided to cancel and now un-cancel Lockhart. Might be an indication of how competitve they felt Scarlett would be vs PS5 on its own, like a year ago vs now.
Maybe part of Tom Warrens "surprise" was cancelling/uncancelling strat so that Sony stays in dark about it. I dont think they ever went back with it. They will push Anaconda high, Sony will respond in similar manner with PS5 and then MS will come with next gen console for peeps who dont need 4K and highest settings, and are fine with 1080/1440p.

For all the guys who said "fuck resolution, its a waste, its all about next gen effects." We'll see if they where right.

Fake

Pricing details are currently unknown, but Kotaku likens Anaconda to the Xbox One X and Lockhart to the Xbox One S in terms of performance disparity. Game developers will be expected to support both devices, which has led some to worry about hampering their ambitions.

Some developers who spoke to Kotaku have expressed disappointment in Microsoft’s lack of communication regarding Project Scarlett. Where many developers say they have already received development kits for PlayStation 5, the recently leaked development kit image of which Kotaku mentions is legitimate, Project Scarlett development kits are harder to come by. However, most developers working on next-generation games have an idea of what specifications to target.

Whether PlayStation 5 or Project Scarlett will be the more powerful platform is currently unknown. The common consensus among developers that spoke to Kotaku is that they have roughly similar specifications and that the key differences may lie in other factors, such as operating system features or hidden technologies.

SlimySnake

lmao

nhLa3v3.jpg

There goes Klee, and Matt’s credibility. Poof.
just because MS changed their plans recently doesnt mean they were wrong. MS themselves said the focus was ONE console at E3. its in Schrier's article. Lockheart was not part of the plans at E3. DF at E3 also said devs were unhappy and pretty much forced MS to kill it. Something changed recently and Phil decided to revive it.

All this proves is that Matt and Klee dont have sources feeding them up to date information like reporters currently working in the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom