• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dictator tours Crytek.
J1XPJ8D.gif

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Your Lockhart post talks about the Anaconda/Dante dev kit having the profile mode but that Microsoft have now made a separate dedicated Lockhart dev kit. This is big news and you are the only source of this info I've seen. Did Microsoft change things here as I thought the whole idea is that Lockhart is the exact same spec as XSX but with 20CUs and less RAM? How could the profile setting on Dante be so bad to the point Microsoft had to create separate dev kits?

DIdn't ask that information. And you are the first person to even attempt to ask that question.

I can't comment on "why" a dev kit was made as I am not Microsoft but you will also note that the source said that they had heard Lockart dev kits were rare.

It very would could have been test hardware until they got the profiles working better. If i had to guess it was band aid solution to a bigger fix. I dont think its crazy to think simply downclocking a GPU thats found in the XSX wouldn't translate to proper performance.

There has also been information that final dev kits went out right around the same time I talked to him. Its possible they were working with an unfinished kit on XSX which was causing issues as well.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It does display color banding at times and it really varies by source.

There are some movies even on Netflix that its there but seems to me to be older movies.

For me personally and my X900H is on a lot I only see it every now and then and it has only been bad once. I can't remember the movie my wife was watching on Amazon Prime but it was a night scene and it was bad but I think the movie was from the 90s not sure that makes a difference.

As far as gaming goes I have a PC, Xbox One X and PS4 Pro on it and have never noticed it while gaming.

Yup, high end TV's tend to process that artificially. It's nice for movie watching and probably gaming (if not adding latency), but for video and photo editing it can fuck it up and give you bad results. Thanks for the details!

It does display color banding at times and it really varies by source.

There are some movies even on Netflix that its there but seems to me to be older movies.

For me personally and my X900H is on a lot I only see it every now and then and it has only been bad once. I can't remember the movie my wife was watching on Amazon Prime but it was a night scene and it was bad but I think the movie was from the 90s not sure that makes a difference.

As far as gaming goes I have a PC, Xbox One X and PS4 Pro on it and have never noticed it while gaming.

Have you watched any 4K blu-ray movies on it? If so, have you noticed any banding with those movies? I ordered the 85" X900H and it delivers this coming Tuesday, do you have any recommendations for settings outside of what rtings.com has done?

I’m really happy with mine too, no color banding. I would greatly take settings recommendations tho :)

Tag you as well looking for settings.

Have you watched any 4K blu-ray movies on it? If so, have you noticed any banding with those movies? I ordered the 85" X900H and it delivers this coming Tuesday, do you have any recommendations for settings outside of what rtings.com has done?

I have watched a few movies on it over my X One X and they have looked stellar.

As far as settings out of the box its really great but I prefer this guys settings then tweaked a little to our settings.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

DIdn't ask that information. And you are the first person to even attempt to ask that question.

I can't comment on "why" a dev kit was made as I am not Microsoft but you will also note that the source said that they had heard Lockart dev kits were rare.

It very would could have been test hardware until they got the profiles working better. If i had to guess it was band aid solution to a bigger fix. I dont think its crazy to think simply downclocking a GPU thats found in the XSX wouldn't translate to proper performance.

There has also been information that final dev kits went out right around the same time I talked to him. Its possible they were working with an unfinished kit on XSX which was causing issues as well.

I mean if devs told Microsoft their Dante profile software was crap then I guess it would make sense they give devs some hardware that does, but then why after 2 months we haven't heard anything else about this? Everything Microsoft leaks via Brad Sams, Tom Warren, Jez Corden or even via the RDX crew. Seems a little weird we haven't heard a peep about it this close to launch, right?

I mean if devs told Microsoft their Dante profile software was crap then I guess it would make sense they give devs some hardware that does, but then why after 2 months we haven't heard anything else about this? Everything Microsoft leaks via Brad Sams, Tom Warren, Jez Corden or even via the RDX crew. Seems a little weird we haven't heard a peep about it this close to launch, right?

Nikana Nikana

There's this weird theory that Microsoft cancelled Lockhart and then brought it back. I wonder if you think this is possible?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Someone finally reporting this accurately lol

Made no sense anyone thought otherwise.. what precedent is there for a product basically going up in price right before it's made free? That was idiotic.. it was price hiked for weeks while people were still babbling on about it.. I kept pointing out "All they did was raise the price" and was accused of being a Sony fanboy a few times here and elsewhere.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Someone finally reporting this accurately lol

Made no sense anyone thought otherwise.. what precedent is there for a product basically going up in price right before it's made free? That was idiotic.. it was price hiked for weeks while people were still babbling on about it.. I kept pointing out "All they did was raise the price" and was accused of being a Sony fanboy a few times here and elsewhere.

I've never seen the US 12-month card change in price, so not sure how they went up in price. These were never not available at $60/yr.

Price still holding in US. Just a move against weak currency?

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Sure, I could see it from that angle. But again, I can only comment on what was said. I can't tell you why we havent heard more about it. The same reason why I can't tell you why Microsoft hasn't even officially announced the Series S yet. I didn't ask those questions so I do not have the answers.

Do you want me to speculate because I can. But clearly even when I try to do things the "right" way and get things verified by mods here, people still aren't happy.

I didn't make the post in effort to get a complete breakdown of Microsoft's ability or inability to send out correct profiles and hardware and break down the entirety of the dev kits in question. I simply wanted to get a real developers opinion on things that people were commenting on and get a feel from one developers take on how things were going with Lockhart. I even posted in here vs making a thread because its one developer. I was then asked to create a thread based on the info. I thought people would appreciate talking to a real developer vs speculation. I clearly read the room wrong. But this notion that I am somehow fighting for one side? What do I have to gain by asking a developer about Lockhart?

IntentionalPun

Price still holding in US. Just a move against weak currency?
Not sure what you mean; talking about MS discontinuing the 12 month code. That should eventually cause a price raise even in the key seller market.

Either way if you buy direct from MS there is no longer a $5 per month yearly option, the cheapest way to buy Live from them (and generally from key sites as well.)

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Not sure what you mean; talking about MS discontinuing the 12 month code. That should eventually cause a price raise even in the key seller market.

Either way if you buy direct from MS there is no longer a $5 per month yearly option, the cheapest way to buy Live from them (and generally from key sites as well.)

If there was a change in pricing, I think that would have already hit major retailers. I've never seen a big lag between price changes and digital codes at GameStop/Amazon, etc. Maybe a day, max.

$80 would still be an improvement over a $100 either way, LOL.

IntentionalPun

If there was a change in pricing, I think that would have already hit major retailers. I've never seen a big lag between price changes and digital codes at GameStop/Amazon, etc. Maybe a day, max.

$80 would still be an improvement over a $100 either way, LOL.
I don't think you understand what is being discussed.

We are talking about the discontinuing of the 12 month code causing an effective price hike by removing the bulk option.

Nobody is claiming they raised the price of any of their other codes, they just removed the one with the best value. And it will likely disappear from retailers soon as well.. and key sites.

IntentionalPun

The rumors around the Lockhart are pretty shaky and strange. It's also weird that it hasn't been announced yet.
I think it's still distinctly possible Lockhart won't come out until they actually discontinue Xbox One S.

And when they decide to upgrade xCloud (to Lockhart levels.)

Devs have to certify for it in the mean time.

That was one of the rumors going around after it got allegedly un-cancelled.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The rumors around the Lockhart are pretty shaky and strange. It's also weird that it hasn't been announced yet.

I think Microsoft is trying to treat it like the "one more thing" during a presentation. They will say it can play all next and current gen games at a crazy price. They want a short announcement to release cycle.

DaGwaphics

I don't think you understand what is being discussed.

We are talking about the discontinuing of the 12 month code causing an effective price hike by removing the bulk option.

Nobody is claiming they raised the price of any of their other codes, they just removed the one with the best value. And it will likely disappear from retailers soon as well.. and key sites.

They never removed the 12 month option though, only from their store. Amazon/GameStop/Walmart have continued selling them. If MS was not going to offer this pricing, the ability to purchase new digital codes from major retailers would have dried up in a heartbeat (like a change in pre-paid mobile plans).

I think Microsoft is trying to treat it like the "one more thing" during a presentation. They will say it can play all next and current gen games at a crazy price. They want a short announcement to release cycle.

They definitely could use it to soften the blow of the XSX price announcement.

THE:MILKMAN

Sure, I could see it from that angle. But again, I can only comment on what was said. I can't tell you why we havent heard more about it. The same reason why I can't tell you why Microsoft hasn't even officially announced the Series S yet. I didn't ask those questions so I do not have the answers.

Do you want me to speculate because I can. But clearly even when I try to do things the "right" way and get things verified by mods here, people still aren't happy.

I didn't make the post in effort to get a complete breakdown of Microsoft's ability or inability to send out correct profiles and hardware and break down the entirety of the dev kits in question. I simply wanted to get a real developers opinion on things that people were commenting on and get a feel from one developers take on how things were going with Lockhart. I even posted in here vs making a thread because its one developer. I was then asked to create a thread based on the info. I thought people would appreciate talking to a real developer vs speculation. I clearly read the room wrong. But this notion that I am somehow fighting for one side? What do I have to gain by asking a developer about Lockhart?

That's fine. I've always said I take any insider info at face value as whatever the truth is will come out in the end. If Lockhart was in the state as described just two months ago then I would hope it doesn't come out this year. A rushed Lockhart on top of the HI debacle is the last thing Microsoft needs right now.

Pay attention at the FPS count during Crysis running on the Power Monster.

What did dictator say about the game?

Is okay that framerate in a not final version, Crytek is using a software solution for RT running in a
console far of be a 2060, you can even read the RT statistics and the BHV count.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
That's fine. I've always said I take any insider info at face value as whatever the truth is will come out in the end. If Lockhart was in the state as described just two months ago then I would hope it doesn't come out this year. A rushed Lockhart on top of the HI debacle is the last thing Microsoft needs right now.
I dont even like the idea of Lockhart in any capacity. i dont like the approach at all. It feels like a strategy that is mixed and in flux.

IntentionalPun

They never removed the 12 month option though, only from their store. Amazon/GameStop/Walmart have continued selling them. If MS was not going to offer this pricing, the ability to purchase new digital codes from major retailers would have dried up in a heartbeat (like a change in pre-paid mobile plans).
Well I hope so; but I think this is naive. I don't think these codes sell enough for pre-printed / issued ones to dry up that fast. I mean they are yearly codes afterall... you can't even redeem more than 3 of them at a time.

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

If it's a 1080P 30FPs system with visuals turned down then I would consider it underpowered.
come on be realistic here, no way would Series S be any less powerful than Xbox One X? At minimum it'd at least be at the level of Xbox One X in performance on the GPU side a significant leap in CPU performance thanks to the Zen 2 cores.

I dont even like the idea of Lockhart in any capacity. i dont like the approach at all. It feels like a strategy that is mixed and in flux.

I'm not against if it doesn't hold the other systems back. I know what you said in your leak but I'm more worried about real next gen games then Borderlands 3 for example.

come on be realistic here, no way would Series S be any less powerful than Xbox One X? At minimum it'd at least be at the level of Xbox One X in performance on the GPU side a significant leap in CPU performance thanks to the Zen 2 cores.

Just because it plays Next Gen games at 1080P 30FPs doesn't mean its weaker than the Xbox One X.

IntentionalPun

Lockhart is an absolute massive risk for MS.

They are already the less lucrative platform for 3rd parties... if MS doesn't do well with the combo of XSX/XSS and devs are required to support XSS they risk getting abandoned as a platform IMO.

Riky

$MSFT
I think Series S is real, the packaging leaks but also the Digital Foundry video on the 4tflop comparisons. They obviously know things they can't say. Go back to the XSX reveal and they talk twice about how XSX hasn't got variable clocks and Microsoft made sure they knew that.......then PS5 gets revealed with variable clocks.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm not against if it doesn't hold the other systems back. I know what you said in your leak but I'm more worried about real next gen games then Borderlands 3 for example.

It all depends on what kind of work they are actually doing to the game. But again its just one developers opinion.

Imagine be part of The Coalition, then you know for the next games you have to make it work in a machine similar to a Xbox one X and just
yesterday you saw NVIDIA presenting the 3080 with around 75% of more performance compare to the "old" 2080 TI maybe a more against
the XSX and now is harder to find in some way optimize your games in a way scale in a decent way aside the resolution and framerate.

Is possible yes of course is possible but man all the extra work necessary to do that. I am sure any of those dev will be so happy if Xbox says
take as base the XSX because to end of this year almost the XSX will be a half of the 3080 in 4 year the gap will be much larger so the XSS will
be an unnecessary problem for the planning of each project.

Because if Xbox studios make this carefully, thing they didn't do with Xbox one, this last couple of years was normal see games with problems
of frame rate even when the resolution is much less, the third parties will be a coin thrown into the air.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Imagine be part of The Coalition, then you know for the next games you have to make it work in a machine similar to a Xbox one X and just
yesterday you saw NVIDIA presenting the 3080 with around 75% of more performance compare to the "old" 2080 TI maybe a more against
the XSX and now is harder to find in some way optimize your games in a way scale in a decent way aside the resolution and framerate.

Is possible yes of course is possible but man all the extra work necessary to do that. I am sure any of those dev will be so happy if Xbox says
take as base the XSX because to end of this year almost the XSX will be a half of the 3080 in 4 year the gap will be much larger so the XSS will
be an unnecessary problem for the planning of each project.

Because if Xbox studios make this carefully, thing they didn't do with Xbox one, this last couple of years was normal see games with problems
of frame rate even when the resolution is much less, the third parties will be a coin thrown into the air.

This is key for me. It will require more work but the question is just how much. That will vary from game to game.

DaGwaphics

Well I hope so; but I think this is naive. I don't think these codes sell enough for pre-printed / issued ones to dry up that fast. I mean they are yearly codes afterall... you can't even redeem more than 3 of them at a time.

Unless these are distributed in an unusual way, these digital codes aren't pre-purchased, these are real-time transactions. Maybe a very small number might be pre-purchased, just to ensure instant delivery, but nothing that would hold for more than a day or two.

If you went to a shop and purchased a mobile refill code, that's not coming from some stash the store has, that's a real-time transaction that is providing them with a working code they can print on the slip for you. They can never be out of stock, nor do discontinued products remain available. I would assume Amazon, PayPal, etc. are working a similar arrangement for digital codes.

This is key for me. It will require more work but the question is just how much. That will vary from game to game.
I just expect Xbox doesn't go crazy and put a very different specs aside the GPU raw power also I think is possible
some third party just don't want to make its game for XSS but I don't know how Xbox will deal with this kind of
situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom