• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

gt_connect

Neo Member
At the end of the day, MS has proven they don't believe in a generation, and all their followers have followed the same thing.

It seems now like the XSS is the machine of the next generation and the XSX is just a luxury item...

Everything we have learn in the past of the lower denominator is gone, no more issues, scalability can fix, and will fix everything as soon as you have a CPU that matches the new generation.

The next generation of consoles should be the ones pushing for a lot of people to change their PCs, but no... change only your CPU, you can play at a lower resolution...

🤦🏽‍♂️ We need a new topic, this is a lost battle until Sony first-party games look SO MUCH better than the rest of the multis that we can show real info on what happens when you have a lower machine to support...

That's what I think too, microsoft is trying hard to reach most people they can get to pay their services... even if this costs the quality of games. Where are the next gen games? For me it is easy, if you want quantity, go for xbox, but don't expect quality, they want your money for their services, like xcloud and gamepass, and here is when sony gonna show a bigger difference in exclusives.. (just my opinion)

FunkMiller

Definitely weird, you are right with that. I’m not in Melbourne but I thought it was all locked down. Is EB even open?

I think he’s saying he walked past a closed store and sneaked a photo.

I‘ve never once heard anyone use the terms ‘holidays‘ in Oz to denote the Xmas period. Not saying what he’s done is fake... but not saying it isn’t either.

This is just cultural sensitivity... not everyone in Aus is a Christian these days so companies like to use non-religion specific terms for Christmas.

Oh fuck me, that’s probably it, isn’t it?

I‘m a militant atheist, and even I think it’s idiotic to avoid using the term ‘Christmas’ to advertise stuff at Christmas.

MiNd you, Australia is incredibly secular anyway, so it’s maybe not that hard to swallow after all...

Last edited:

ToadMan

Isn’t Christmas part of western culture which Australia is?

It sure is... however those same western countries also have significant non-Western/non-Christian communities. If BLM, LGTBQ and Veganism are all taboo for criticism, you can bet no company wants to offend religious sensibilities.

It's the same in the old and new world countries - Aus isn't special.

Last edited:

BatSu

SamLake.gif

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Imagine a developer not having access to a system that is set to launch in less than 2 months time.

Is this the same for even the top dogs complaining? They show them empty shells too?
I mean that guy makes cartoony indie games for the guys behind Rick and Morty, I also doubt he has a PS5 dev kit.

But yeah, this is what I got called "in denial" for yesterday.. suggesting that the wording of the tweets sound like someone who doesn't actually have experience with the machines but is just speaking from specs. Which doesn't mean the comments are meaningless, but my only point was I'd love to hear from devs with hands-on experience.

To your point though the rumors are most devs dont seem to have dev kits anyways. However random indie devs not having dev kits is incredibly normal...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I mean that guy makes cartoony indie games for the guys behind Rick and Morty, I also doubt he has a PS5 dev kit.

But yeah, this is what I got called "in denial" for yesterday.. suggesting that the wording of the tweets sound like someone who doesn't actually have experience with the machines but is just speaking from specs. Which doesn't mean the comments are meaningless, but my only point was I'd love to hear from devs with hands-on experience.

To your point though the rumors are most devs dont seem to have dev kits anyways. However random indie devs not having dev kits is incredibly normal...

Of course it is, but the likes of Remedy, ID, Activision, UbiSoft, etc..

They are saying the very same things... do they not have dev kits? Is that the goalpost people are going to use, because either argument looks bad.

IntentionalPun

Of course it is, but the likes of Remedy, ID, Activision, UbiSoft, etc..

They are saying the very same things... do they not have dev kits? Is that the goalpost people are going to use, because either argument looks bad.
I would hope they do have devkits, and either way it's bad.

1) They have devkits and are making these comments
2) They don't have devkits

This isn't a goal post move.. not everything is a console war conspiracy.

But yeah, this is what I got called "in denial" for yesterday..

That was actually a response to one of my comments.

Well ID software is talking about it. And they are releasing a patch for Doom on next gen consoles. I think it's safe to assume that they have the dev kits for the Series S at this point.

I was quoting Billy Khan not that developer of Rick and Morty games.

Shmunter

It sure is... however those same western countries also have significant non-Western/non-Christian communities. If BLM, LGTBQ and Veganism are all taboo for criticism, you can bet no company wants to offend religious sensibilities.

It's the same in the old and new world countries - Aus isn't special.
That’s crazy, it’s like expecting Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem to only take one wife.

He may only have Eyes for one console, but his virility will not be contained

ethomaz

Banned

So the seniors engineers from Remedy, ID Software, Activision and UbiSoft are in denial too?

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
These lunatics are redefining dunning-kruger.

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which console warriors with low ability at a task overestimate their ability. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.

If Sony will get the physical to $449 that would be really good and also no point for going digital for me if the difference is only $50. I was going physical either way.
Here’s a crazy prediction just for me just because if it happens it would set the internet into a frenzy for a day.
PS5 -$450
PS5 Digital - $350
If Sony wanted to get extremely competitive, these prices would be. Also they can take the loss from how much the PS4 has gotten them.

IntentionalPun

That was actually a response to one of my comments.

I'm aware... I think you aren't getting who zaitsu was calling in denial. But it's neither here nor there now.

I don't want XSS to exist and am in no way in denial about it.. but I want to hear hands on impressions. Even the Id / Remedy devs sound like they are speaking not from direct experience with XSS, just the wording.. and yeah it wouldn't shock me if they don't have XSS dev kits yet considering how bad MS has been at getting dev kits out rumored.

Maybe those who have hands on experience think it's even worse than what Remedy/Id guys are saying.. maybe it's not so bad.. I want to hear about someone trying to make a next-gen only game on these 2 machines and it'll probably be a while before we hear anything about that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
When a 3rd-party devs only received the dev docs from MS less than 2 months from launch lol
That is a big fuck off.

We should ask the ID Senior guy if he received the DevKits already.
And so he also doesn't properly know. I remember that there were devs that were worried until they actually used the hardware. Not sure who said this.

Dodkrake

Banned
For those saying the PS5 is more expensive than the Series X, consider this
  • Sony is likely only buying 1 size of ram
  • Their APU is likely smaller than the Series X, in spite of the custom hardware
  • Since they sold more than double the consoles and are expecting to sell even more, they are likely getting better prices per component
  • They only have 1 major SKU with a drive difference, so tooling costs are likely cheaper
This leads me to believe that whatever losses MS is having at 499, Sony will have a proportional loss at 449. Not saying they will sell at this price, but it's not as inconceivable

I don't know, if id Software doesn't have a devkit then Microsoft has bigger problems. Or maybe Sony just bought the entire Zenimax anyway.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Here’s a crazy prediction just for me just because if it happens it would set the internet into a frenzy for a day.
PS5 -$450
PS5 Digital - $350
If Sony wanted to get extremely competitive, these prices would be. Also they can take the loss from how much the PS4 has gotten them.

That would be insanely competitive but I think $399 is the lowest they would go because they’ve said they’re not going to sell consoles at a loss again so who knows. Even $399 for PS5 digital is an very good value seeing it’s the same console and not a weaker version.

IntentionalPun

So your point was really baseless.
No. My point is:

- Their worries aren't baseless even if they don't have hands on XSS experience.. I've said that repeatedly, and I hate the existence of XSS either way
- I'd love to hear some specific hands-on impressions of what devs are having problems with XSS

And maybe the iD/Remedy guys do have said hands on experience. My point was the wording of their tweets kinda sounds like they don't. Which is a separate concern.

elenapska

That's what I think too, microsoft is trying hard to reach most people they can get to pay their services... even if this costs the quality of games. Where are the next gen games? For me it is easy, if you want quantity, go for xbox, but don't expect quality, they want your money for their services, like xcloud and gamepass, and here is when sony gonna show a bigger difference in exclusives.. (just my opinion)

MS also has games focusing Quality. MS Flight Simulator? Forza Horizon? Ori?

Thirty7ven

Banned
And so he also doesn't properly know. I remember that there were devs that were worried until they actually used the hardware. Not sure who said this.

Devs worries have been known since the beginning of the year and late last year.

The rumors pointed to more ram, aside from that nothing has changed.

Obviously the XSS will punch above its weight for the first 12 months because that’s the cross gen spill over period.

But once the big games start coming, that GPU and that bandwidth are going to be put in question. I’m very interested in seeing how a proper next gen Assassins Creed will fare on it for example.

People have been complaining about the quality of next gen visuals when they watch 1080p footage so I expect a lot of disappointed people who bought into the 1440p dream sold to them by MS. A whole lot of people with 4K TVs are going to buy it believing the misinformed bs being spread by the media.

Personally I’m not worried one bit because I know what I’m buying and I am indeed very excited to give MS my money this time around. I only wish it was 50$ cheaper, but can’t complain too much. If the PS5DE comes in at 399€, it’s 700€ for two ecosystems, and that to me is amazing. I will be a kid at the candy store.

It looks terrible and i know this for a fact because a buddy of mine used to work in Ubisoft India, he quit after noticing how terrible it was over there. By terrible he mean't super inexperienced people, too many testers/glorified testing studio with not enough talent or proper direction. He and many other people from the animation side of things left shortly after. This happened a year or so ago and he told me he even expected the project to get cancelled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom