• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ptarmiganx2

Exactly, this is MS not understanding the consumer base yet AGAIN. Not only that my friend, Microsoft will be competing at 300 with the switch. with potentially a 4k model holiday 2021, with the vanilla switch dropped to $199. MS could actually lose marketshare. I truly believe MS is handing sony the gen on a silver platter twice in a row.
Here’s the thing...casual gamers don’t run out and buy games on release for 60 dollars. It will have minimal impact on game sales. If 200 dollars or maybe 100 prevent you from buying the better piece of technology, 60 bucks several times per year is probably off the table .

Last edited:
No. My point is:

- Their worries aren't baseless even if they don't have hands on XSS experience.. I've said that repeatedly, and I hate the existence of XSS either way
- I'd love to hear some specific hands-on impressions of what devs are having problems with XSS

And maybe the iD/Remedy guys do have said hands on experience. My point was the wording of their tweets kinda sounds like they don't. Which is a separate concern.
The XSS should be already in hands of many devs because I mean the console is release this Nov, they need
to work in the port of the all the games if they plan to release in XSX.

The same devs who express its opinions about the XSS as I remember didn't say any bad thing about the XSX,
the problem is the only people who thinks is a great idea is the fanboys and people who never made a game and
yes in the last group I include many of the journalist.

ethomaz

Banned
First one are prices of Xbox
XSX: 299 - XSX: 499
Second are ????, probably Nintendo prices
Third one are PS5 Prices
PS5D: 449 and 499
And last one idk
I'm sure the ??? is the PS5 price we don't know.
49.99 is something already priced.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
419-E5054-85-EE-43-AA-A312-0-E03361-EE63-A.jpg
Damn that is some true nightmare fuel.

Batiman

Banned
Sorry for the off topic question but I don’t want to make a thread for such a small issue.

Im 90% sure the issue with my PS4 slim is the HDD and was looking to replace it with the cheapest option because Ps5 is around the corner. Should I go internal or external? Is it ok to have an external HD if the the stock one is damaged? Like will it completely run off the external? Sorry for the dumb question. I’m not very tech savvy and people in here seem to know what they’re talking about and this thread is pretty active.

Thx!

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I would hope they do have devkits, and either way it's bad.

1) They have devkits and are making these comments
2) They don't have devkits

This isn't a goal post move.. not everything is a console war conspiracy.

I am not saying you're moving goalposts, but I see some trying to use that as a narrative. Which either one of those scenarios doesn't look good.

Example:

Last edited:

Avantasia

Neo Member
I think next week sony will give a lot of information. I think they are gonna let MS have this week alone of some kind of respect.

479 for standard edition and 399 for the other is my guess. I wanna know the price headset due too interest in 3d-audio

Dabaus

Banned
We know sony likes the 399 price point, Lets say the PS5 was made in mind to be 399 for 2020 and beyond, component prices come down over time but was intended to be break even from the start. Things happened where manufacturing increased the cost a little bit. Lets say at 499 sony makes a reasonable profit and at 299 sony makes a reasonable loss. Combine the 2 and you get back to break even. What if?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The XSS should be already in hands of many devs because I mean the console is release this Nov, they need
to work in the port of the all the games if they plan to release in XSX.

The same devs who express its opinions about the XSS as I remember didn't say any bad thing about the XSX,
the problem is the only people who thinks is a great idea is the fanboys and people who never made a game and
yes in the last group I include many of the journalist.
The iD guy seems to be bashing the 16GB of RAM in general on these consoles.

But I wonder if he's moved their engine to be really RAM needy.. as opposed to Epic who seem to have optimized theirs to be super scalable resource wise.

Last edited:
Sorry for the off topic question but I don’t want to make a thread for such a small issue.

Im 90% sure the issue with my PS4 slim is the HDD and was looking to replace it with the cheapest option because Ps5 is around the corner. Should I go internal or external? Is it ok to have an external HD if the the stock one is damaged? Like will it completely run off the external? Sorry for the dumb question. I’m not very tech savvy and people in here seem to know what they’re talking about and this thread is pretty active.

Thx!

Hey there, just like a PC, the ps4 will not boot without a working hard drive. So internal will be your first point of call

Out of curiosity what makes you think it is a hard drive fault?

This may take a few responses to diagnose. I'd suggest making a new thread rather than conversing here, as it may get missed otherwise.

ethomaz

Banned

But I wonder if he's moved their engine to be really RAM needy.. as opposed to Epic who seem to have optimized theirs to be super scalable resource wise.
One think I always believed is that Id Tech engines are the best in the market to delivery graphics (quality) at good performance from hardware.
Unreal Engine is more scaleable but they don't hold a candle to Id Tech engine in terms of graphics/performance.

What you can't say is that ID Software guys don't know how to get the best from the hardware they work with.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Would have been a more balanced, consistent approach imo.

XSX-XSS-Friendly.jpg
Bandwidth on the X is wrong. It'd be 512. Not 560. And 16 Gbps GDDR6 would be too expensive.

The 750 GB SSD is pointless, either go cheap (500) or full (1 TB.)

And that S design is uglier than the actual S. And bigger.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I think next week sony will give a lot of information. I think they are gonna let MS have this week alone of some kind of respect.

479 for standard edition and 399 for the other is my guess. I wanna know the price headset due too interest in 3d-audio

I don't think it has to do with respect. Days ago, someone from SIE said that there will be no PS5 news for the next few days to do the PSVR Spotlight games event. Sony seem to stick to whatever plans they have no matter what anyone else thinks about it for the most part with exception to certain times when it is wrong to put on an event.

Unless a person is one that believes in controlled leaks or that MS used one before announcing their info, then, MS weren't going to announce this week, they were going to announce next week.
Maybe Sony knew that they were going next week, maybe they didn't. Who knows. We don't even know for sure Sony was just waiting on MS to announce, though that is a likely scenario. We have no clue why Sony wouldn't just announce their stuff at this point with one exception. During the Dualsense hands on stream, the exec on the stream said they wouldn't just drop the price. There would be some advance notice. Perhaps that's an event, perhaps not. Perhaps they have the event recorded in advance ready to go, perhaps not. So many variables, ..

In short, no one we have heard from that is trustworthy knows anything, .. that they are willing to share.

Batiman

Banned
Hey there, just like a PC, the ps4 will not boot without a working hard drive. So internal will be your first point of call

Out of curiosity what makes you think it is a hard drive fault?

This may take a few responses to diagnose. I'd suggest making a new thread rather than conversing here, as it may get missed otherwise.
Thx for the response. Don’t want to derail the thread so I’ll make it quick lol.
It started when I was almost done completing Spider-Man PS4. The game takes a couple minutes to boot up. Then while playing it would freeze during swinging parts every other minute and slowly textures would slowly appear and pop in.

Now the menu is so slow and sometimes crashes doing basic tasks. Some games get stuck on loading up. A smaller game like psychonauts was working fine though.

I tried all the safe mode options. rebuilt the database, factory reset, initialize etc. But same shit. It let me download fall guys ( which I’m dying to play!) but won’t load up.

my last option is replacing the HDD. Looking for the cheapest option because ps5 is around the corner and I’m not even sure if this will even fix it.
Spelunky is coming out and I need the PS4 for that!

thx again

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
One think I always believed is that Id Tech engines are the best in the market to delivery graphics per performance from hardware.
Unreal Engine is more scaleable but they don't hold a candle to Id Tech engine in terms of graphics/performance.
Their "megatexture" tech was super scalable but was removed from id Tech 7.. wonder if they aren't as scalable focused or something now... or maybe they were just expecting the low end of scalability to be higher than ~8GB moving forward into id Tech 8.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Their "megatexture" tech was super scalable but was removed from id Tech 7.. wonder if they aren't as scalable focused or something now... or maybe they were just expecting the low end of scalability to be higher than ~8GB.
I believe (correct me) that the "megatexture" while allowed them more instance geometry, more instance texture tiling textures and higher fidelity texture... the end result was not on the quality they wanted (too blurry).

They are happy they could finally get out of the use of "megatexture" in Doom Ethenal to show high fidelity textures without any harm in quality.

In simple terms "megatexture" was a band-aid to overcome hardware limitations at time but not the end result they wished.

Last edited:

NickFire

I don't think it has to do with respect. Days ago, someone from SIE said that there will be no PS5 news for the next few days to do the PSVR Spotlight games event. Sony seem to stick to whatever plans they have no matter what anyone else thinks about it for the most part with exception to certain times when it is wrong to put on an event.

Unless a person is one that believes in controlled leaks or that MS used one before announcing their info, then, MS weren't going to announce this week, they were going to announce next week.
Maybe Sony knew that they were going next week, maybe they didn't. Who knows. We don't even know for sure Sony was just waiting on MS to announce, though that is a likely scenario. We have no clue why Sony wouldn't just announce their stuff at this point with one exception. During the Dualsense hands on stream, the exec on the stream said they wouldn't just drop the price. There would be some advance notice. Perhaps that's an event, perhaps not. Perhaps they have the event recorded in advance ready to go, perhaps not. So many variables, ..

In short, no one we have heard from that is trustworthy knows anything, .. that they are willing to share.
Controlled leaks are absolutely a thing, but that does not mean they necessarily did that in this case.

The RAM always is need and maintain almost the same amount of memory for the future is not the best option.

For example the problem with the memory the devs mention we can see it now if you want to have the same graphics as the XSX you need to be able to have
basically the same textures, that is why if you play a game which use better textures in your Xbox one X in a 1080p the difference against the base console is easy
to see it.

But for some reason Xbox is telling to the devs to use a lower resolution texture plus the memory necessary for you game for things aside to the assets will be
basically the same as is big brother, XSX use around 3.5 GB for this.

I don't understand the need to sabotage themselves.

Thx for the response. Don’t want to derail the thread so I’ll make it quick lol.
It started when I was almost done completing Spider-Man PS4. The game takes a couple minutes to boot up. Then while playing it would freeze during swinging parts every other minute and slowly textures would slowly appear and pop in.

Now the menu is so slow and sometimes crashes doing basic tasks. Some games get stuck on loading up. A smaller game like psychonauts was working fine though.

I tried all the safe mode options. rebuilt the database, factory reset, initialize etc. But same shit. It let me download fall guys ( which I’m dying to play!) but won’t load up.

my last option is replacing the HDD. Looking for the cheapest option because ps5 is around the corner and I’m not even sure if this will even fix it.
Spelunky is coming out and I need the PS4 for that!

thx again

It does sound very much like hdd. I dont pretend to know what size your ps4 has (typically 500GB or 1TB as standard) but 1TB drives are around this amount:

Good luck, hope this solves it and it isnt something more serious like ram or motherboard.

Batiman

Banned
It does sound very much like hdd. I dont pretend to know what size your ps4 has (typically 500GB or 1TB as standard) but 1TB drives are around this amount:

Good luck, hope this solves it and it isnt something more serious like ram or motherboard.
Thx. Worst case I lose 50$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom