• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripolygon

Banned
Sony-Play-Station-5-CFI-1018A-NCC-Certification-Live-Image-1.jpg

Sony-Play-Station-5-CFI-1018A-NCC-Certification-Live-Image-6.jpg

Sony-Play-Station-5-CFI-1018A-NCC-Certification-Live-Image-2.jpg

Sony-Play-Station-5-CFI-1018A-NCC-Certification-Live-Image-5.jpg

HAL-01

I highly doubt of it being next gen only, what makes you think it's not cross gen?
They already announced exactly which games are cross gen, and those games are coming out at launch/early 2021. No reason for a game launching a year into the PS5's lifecycle to be cross gen.

First parties have had PS5 devkits since 2018, so its not a "development was started for PS4 then moved to PS5" situation either.

LiquidRex

I can't help but think Sony should have left Backwards compatibility alone with the PS5, it seems they invested a lot of time and money in it... They would have been better just improving PSNow and put all there time making the PS5 the fastest most powerful console 🤔

Oh well we shall see years from now if Sony regret their decision 🤔

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I can't help but think Sony should have left Backwards compatibility alone with the PS5, it's seems they invested a lot of time and money in it... They would have been better just improving PSNow and put all there time making the PS5 the fastest most powerful console 🤔

Oh well we shall see years from now if Sony regret their decision 🤔
PSNow? Ewww!

CrysisFreak

Banned
Yes the ambiguity and taking shade at MS is what that's made Sony look bad in this situation. I mean this sorta reminds me of Sony's E3 2013 where Sony said hey you know that Xbox One DRM thingie, well our console is the exact opposite of that crap. and that was the truth. But here well we do believe in generations but also spiderman horizon are coming to ps4, we won't let you know that until you get hyped for the PS5 first :D
Well Horizon started development earlier for sure and Spiderman is rather iterative (relatively), I think GOW in contrast is a full next-gen sequel.
At least I hope so.

SSfox

Is it really that crazy, considering Sony not only showed games, but gameplay captured on the console and some next gen graphics/performance that made the point about getting the console or not?

MS showed old enhanced games, barely any gameplay on demos 'representative of expected XSX graphics' running on PC, CGs and, of course, Craig.

I would add dualsens too, that is at least intriguing, we always had new pad features but this could easily be the biggest pad innovation since vibrations from ps1/n64 gen

Mr Moose

Not if it has a locked resolution and framerate. It'll be things like Hitman 2 which has an unlocked FPS mode or Assassin's Creed Odyssey which has a dynamic resolution.
Wasn't there a patch that unlocked the framerate or am I thinking of Dark Souls 3? :messenger_weary:

Edit: I checked the patch notes, it was probably Dark Souls 3, fuck.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Ok this has to be said, when Jim said PlayStation believes in generations he was being truthful. This is in stark contrast to Xbox saying don't expect major next gen only exclusives for 2 years. Demons Souls remake is a PS5 exclusive and that's sony first party, there's still many unannounced exclusives for PS5 from Sony WWS. How does Miles Morales, Horizon FW and God of war being cross gen negate his statement or makes his statement as lies?
Not lies, but he was implying that you will have a much better experience on the PS5 compared to XSX, because the PS5 wouldn't be held back by current gen. All of that just to do a below the belt at Microsoft

HAL-01

Wasn't there a patch that unlocked the framerate or am I thinking of Dark Souls 3? :messenger_weary:
DS3 had a patch that unlocked frame rate on PS4 pro, though DF fudged bloodborne somehow to run at 60 with a hack

Either way we’re likely still getting that bloodborne remaster so I’m looking forward to that

Not lies, but he was implying that you will have a much better experience on the PS5 compared to XSX, because the PS5 wouldn't be held back by current gen. All of that just to do a below the belt at Microsoft

Nope that is not what he said, go read the interview with gamesindustry.biz, he merely said things like SSD, 3D audio these are things that can only be experienced on next gen.

Maybe you should change your name to Guppy instead of TheGreatWhiteShark, based on how you well you debate here.

Sorry, could not resist. :)
I saw a video of last gen posted trying once again to downplay the differences between ps5 and xbox, specifically:
"ps4 had over 40% difference over xbone, yet difference in game was about 30%. so xbox having 15%(!) over ps5, difference should be around 5%"

I presented a comparative video that has to do all with this gen, along explanations of what you are seeing.
After a certain point, there is no "debate". Only trolling and stupidity.

Yet somehow XSS won't hold the generation back, as it will have better framerates than PS5. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
For the next couple of years you should worry more about ps4 -oh, and pc- holding back them "ps5 exclusives"

No, I don't have to watch it.
Didn't expect any better from you tbh

Does that account for the jump you get in rasterization? Is that across the board?

Regardless, it may be an interesting intellectual exercise but doesn't mean much in the 'real world.' We're seeing parity in announced third party games so far which indicates that as we've heard all along, these two new machines a pretty even in performance.
Just watch the video. Things are mentioned there.

In the "real world" we are not "seeing" anything just yet.
in fact, every bit of info we get that is not favorable to ps5 gets attacked in this topic, instead of it being "discussed"

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Nope that is not what he said, go read the interview with gamesindustry.biz, he merely said things like SSD, 3D audio these are things that can only be experienced on next gen.
I said implying. Why do you think so many Sony fans here kept saying that current gen would hold back XSX, and this wouldn't be the case for the PS5?

Well Horizon started development earlier for sure and Spiderman is rather iterative (relatively), I think GOW in contrast is a full next-gen sequel.
At least I hope so.

honestly i don't give crap if god of war is cross gen or next gen. God of War 2018 looked eons beyond anything I've seen, and if god of war sequel is indeed cross gen i don't have an iota of doubt on Sony Santa Monica knocking home runs on current gen and next gen

Alex Scott

I said implying. Why do you think so many Sony fans here kept saying that current gen would hold back XSX, and this wouldn't be the case for the PS5?
I am fan of PS5. Sony cross gen games will hold back PS5 in various ways. This should not be up for discussion.

No matter how good the games look the base version is PS4. I hope GOD OF WAR is complete next gen game.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned

Edit: I checked the patch notes, it was probably Dark Souls 3, fuck.
Somebody created a fan patch that makes it 60 fps on PS4 Pro, but it's a code inject done with a devkit console. It is something Sony could also easily do themselves with a day's work, but if they didn't for the past 4 years I don't know why they would now.

EDIT: here is the video

Last edited:

husomc

Official pricing in Oman:

IMG-20200918-WA0026.jpg

PS5: 215 Omani Rials ($559)
PS5DE: 170 OMR ($442)

Pretty nice, actually. Final prices indeed after imports, etc. No VAT here yet, government is still thinking about implementing 5%.
That's quite close to the pricing in Singapore. 729 SGd or around 536 USD. They haven't even offered the digital edition anywhere yet. Preorders were gone in 1 minute :messenger_tears_of_joy:

husomc

I've been out after project "Nimble" for some time due to sorting out the new internet service as I'm in the 3rd floor at home, but got upgraded from non-solid 16Mbps download / 1Mbps upload to this.

awasr.jpg

Not sure about the ping, but not an issue now and will let the company check if it's normal due to the main HQ being ~1200km away. But I'm used to 150-180ms ping when playing in Euro severs, so won't bitch about it. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

In case someone wondering, no, I didn't secure a preorder yet. Seems like the didn't open preorders here to begin with, but won't panic.

39ba89ff50500fe12569bc99e529e4a1.gif
You should move to Singapore. I moved here coz the internet's good. :messenger_grinning_smiling: Specially for uploading those huge video files.
rGRiIfO.png

Mr Moose

I saw a video of last gen posted trying once again to downplay the differences between ps5 and xbox, specifically:
"ps4 had over 40% difference over xbone, yet difference in game was about 30%. so xbox having 15%(!) over ps5, difference should be around 5%"

I presented a comparative video that has to do all with this gen, along explanations of what you are seeing.
After a certain point, there is no "debate". Only trolling and stupidity.
There's ~42% more pixels, ~30% less pixels (900p/1080p) with Xbox One/PS4.
1.31TF + 42% 1.86TF (roughly the PS4 TF).
Xbox Series X is ~18.17% more TF than PS5, PS5 ~15.3% less TF (peak).
If they are both the same res, I'd expect Series X to give something a little extra with that ~18.17%.

There's ~42% more pixels, ~30% less pixels (900p/1080p) with Xbox One/PS4.
1.31TF + 42% 1.86TF (roughly the PS4 TF).
Xbox Series X is ~18.17% more TF than PS5, PS5 ~15.3% less TF (peak).
If they are both the same res, I'd expect Series X to give something a little extra with that ~18.17%.
Dude, there are ~45% more CUs on xbox, ~25% more bandwidth, almost certainly rdna2 important features missing from PS5 and variable clocks.
I posted a video showing that only 4 CUs are more than enough to negate and overlap a >200Mhz difference with all other things being equal.

Last edited:

DrDamn

Not posted in a while as been catching up on pages! Couple of thoughts on the "They lied!" generation thing.

I think there was an element of deception in what was understood about some titles, but bigger scheme of things isn’t this approach exactly what they should be doing? The approach still supports the general "We believe in generations" tenet.

What’s the alternative interpretation of their stance on generations? All PS5 WWS games should be PS5 only? Drop the PS4 completely? Or only develop PS4 games or PS5 games nothing is cross-gen? Each of those are bad and they’d be damned if they did any of those too. They didn’t say they would do those, all they did was highlight that a new generation should enable games which are only possible there and that they would be producing those games - R&C is a good example of this.

Generations aren’t a black and white situation though. A new one can still benefit greatly from enhanced versions of games that also run just fine on an older generation. For me they are doing what they said they would do in largely the most practical and sensible way. You can’t go all-in on the new generation dumping the old one. So where it makes sense you try and support both. As I mentioned Spiderman:MM and Sackboy both looked well within the capabilities of PS4 so why not support them that way? S:MM is more of a Uncharted Lost Legacy deal and PS4 support isn’t a surprise for me.

HZD:FW is more contentious and a little disappointing. This was presented more as an all new title exploiting the PS5 capabilities. I’d guess it was fairly far into PS4 development before they decided to shift focus to PS5 and make it cross generation. On the plus side this means it should be ready for next year right?

TLDR; Their approach is what it should be, and fits in with the core generations messaging. The presentation and introduction of new titles, more specifically HZD, as PS5 exclusive was a bit shitty.

Md Ray

Interesting example.

I posted a video earlier from DF with a test on hitman, trying to illustrate both the performance differences clock speed produces, AND the performance differences CUs produce

-On a 36 CU rdna gpu, going from 1.9Ghz to 2.1Ghz produces only a 6% advantage
-While a 40 CU rdna card at 1.8xGhz already overperforms the 36 CU GPU at 2.1Ghz, with only 4 CUs more, AND this at the same teraflops

(Edit: For those of you that are not able to understand, and put smiley emoticons on this post, here basically DF disproves cerny's "rising tide" bull-theorem)

Although the entire video segment is important and quite eye opening, you can just jump to just before the 7th minute point for the test.

Only 6%? Then this bodes well for PS5's variable frequency.

2100 MHz to 1900 MHz is a -9.5% reduction in clock speed, but the frame-rate between them can be near identical (as seen below).
Cc2hQDY.png

And the above comparison is also with fixed frequencies i.e. it pretty much shows the worst-case scenario here.
PS5 clocks won't be fixed so depending on the scene the frequency will get back up for a more consistent, higher overall frame-rate.

Suppose if for e.g. PS5 dropped frequency from 2230 MHz to 2000 MHz for a couple of seconds (which would be a -10.5% reduction in clk speed), so judging from DF's tests, the frame-rate wouldn't take much of a hit then. And the comparison above is also with fixed frequencies i.e. it pretty much shows the worst-case scenario here. PS5 clocks won't be fixed so depending on the scene the frequency will get back up for a more consistent, higher overall frame-rate. On top of this, SmartShift will help both GPU/CPU workloads even further. So this proves Mark Cerny did the right thing. People throw a lot of shit at him for going with variable freq. and call it 9TF console without knowledge. This screenshot above proves how wrong they're.

Regarding 36 CUs vs 40 CUs at 9.67 TF comparison, it's just 2.5% in favor of 40 CUs. So basically the same and within the margin of error. For Sony, there are larger benefits to go with fewer CUs at higher clk speed than going with more CUs and lower clk speed. As Cerny himself said that, "large number of benefits more than counterbalance any disadvantage" when talking about 36 CUs vs 48 CUs. Back compat is likely one of the reasons. I've talked about this here not too long ago.

Actual PS5: 36 CUs @ 2230 MHz = 10.3 TF
Notional PS5:
52 CUs @ 1544 MHz = 10.3 TF

In back compat mode:

Non-PS4 Pro "unpatched" game e.g. Until Dawn running on PS5 would use 18 CUs:

18 CUs @ 2230 MHz = 5.14 TF - Until Dawn gets 5.14 TF of computational power with this config, 2.8x boost over base PS4
18 CUs @ 1544 MHz = 3.56 TF - (-31% TF reduction with this config), just 1.9x boost over base PS4

PS4 Pro "patched" game e.g. DOOM Eternal running on PS5 would use 36 CUs:
36 CUs @ 2230 MHz = 10.3 TF - DOOM Eternal gets 10.3 TF of computational power with this config, 2.45x boost over PS4 Pro
36 CUs @ 1544 MHz = 7.15 TF - (-31% TF reduction with this config), just 1.7x boost over PS4 Pro

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom