• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintjules

Just got the SualSense earlier. Feels great to finally hold this mofo.

Porch pirates so scare me.

Sorry if I miss some posts rest of the day my son and a certain bird are flying in to see some stuff I have laying around the house.

Definitely not taking any chances. I'll be checking like a hawk all day for the PS5/XSX.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeah, OK, the design does indeed take more time than I made it sound like but coding it a new is still a massive undertaking which I feel you are underestimating.

Also I believe due to better hardware that it might take more time to code than back then. Although the PS3 wasn't really easy to code for. Hmm, might even each other out then.
Couple things:
- I wasn't talking about the OG game budget, I'm talking about greenlighting a new game of a similar AAA open world-ish scope for next-gen
- "The coding" takes far longer on the original effort too... that's part of the point here, you don't just take a design and go code it when making a new game.. but that is exactly what you do for a re-make as you as a developer know exactly where the code needs to "arrive."

It's akin to paying 150 people to zig-zag across the country on vacation for 2 years with the vague goal of getting to the other size vs. paying 75 people to go on a road trip that is a straight line across the same country on a mostly preset itinerary. Oh and some of the 75 people you didn't have to fund on that other trip have more expensive tastes (the high up creative types who actually conceptualize and create games aren't needed on a remake.)

Yes it's far more than a remaster.. but these things are still fractions of eachother. A remaster costs a fraction of what a remake does which costs a fraction of what designing and building a game from scratch does. It's still expensive, but game development from scratch is BIG expensive.

And I say greenlight more of them.. there are some really impressive large games from the PS3 era that could get remade for cheaper than conceptualizing a new one and still offer a "full price game" value particularly to those that never played them. Demon Souls is a new game TO ME personally and might as well be a brand new game. None of this is me complaining about the price vs. the budget.

Last edited:
I believe thats why the Nov 6th target date of embargos we have heard Sony knows things will leak.

Even if I had one right now and online play wasnt working right now and was only able to mainly play Astros and waiting on some next gen patches and able to play some games in boost mode that was turning older games into a whole brand new experience while it being virtually silent and insanely fast I wouldnt be able to openly say due to a promise I made.

I will have some impressions coming on Friday though
Hypothetic hype train! Here we go!

Gudji

Astro's should actually be a perfect torture test for the battery life, with all the use of feedback. That's really good news. Actual numbers would be nice, but longer than the DS4 is a great start.

This guy says that he thinks it's around 25-30 hours of battery life, without proper testing of course. Just a guess.

I'm sure DF and others will test this but even something like 20 hours would be great for me.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Porch pirates so scare me.

Sorry if I miss some posts rest of the day my son and a certain bird are flying in to see some stuff I have laying around the house.
It reminds me of when I had my PS3 shipped via FedEx. The tracking page said delivered, but when I got home, there was no package there. I was irate, and thought the FedEx guy had left it out in the open, on my front porch. Turns out the crafty bastard had hidden it on the back porch, behind some clutter. I never got a chance to thank the guy.

MastaKiiLA

This guy says that he thinks it's around 25-30 hours of battery life, without proper testing of course. Just a guess.

I'm sure DF and others will test this but even something like 20 hours would be great for me.

That amount of time would be amazing, quite frankly. Given how many of us loners bought 2 DS4s and a charging dock, just so we could swap them out during a gaming session, that amount of battery life is more than ideal.

cragarmi

Id say its nearer 20 than 30, but still much better than DS4

ToadMan

I never knew gamers put that much weight into next gen based on a controller.

Tech companies live and die on their ability to innovate and hit the next big thing before anyone else.

There’ve been plenty of failures but D-sense is looking like a hit.

Could be Sony’s wiimote - hopefully not just appealing to casuals but something more experienced gamers will love too.

RxyqQCE.jpg

LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
My impressions after receiving a Dualsense Controller:

I eagerly opened the outer sleeve and slid out the inner box. As I removed controller in its sleeve and the the controller from the sleeve, I couldn’t wait to use it. After a while of what could only be appropriately described within the context of an adult novel, I put the controller down on to a controller stand.

I can definitely, without a doubt say that it is indeed... a controller.
PreciousWastefulCoati-max-1mb.gif

Antelope

Tom Warren when ps5 specs was revealed said an incredible amount of bullshitness on Twitter . Really an embarrassing show by him. It's far from objective so it's really tough take him seriously when talks about the PlayStation stuff.

I mentioned that he had some bias on Era and I was banned faster than you can snap your fingers.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
For anyone who’s concerned about this you can arrange to pick up from your local UPS/FedEx distribution center once it’s shipped. I did this with PS4 launch and I got it first thing in the AM.

Just to mention, if you change to pick up at a location, this usually delays the pick up availability by a day.. at least in my experience.

It is more safe to be sure, but I though it might be good to mention.

Lethal01

Gawd i was literally searching for this to show it to someone who explained to me that global illumination isn't ray tracing usage in the demon's souls isn't having ray tracing thread.

Global illumination isn't ray tracing, just like shadows aren't raytracing, but you can use raytracing to get global illumination that is suprior to the methods that are currently used in realtime games.

Whether demons souls does this is yet to be seen I think.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I never knew gamers put that much weight into next gen based on a controller.
If you can actually improve the way a game controls, that's... pretty exciting. Tactile feedback is pretty intuitively understood too so the things that are being talked about are easy to get excited about.

I'm also assuming it's gonna be annoying for some games; but that's just the nature of a tech like that lol It's going to be best when a game is having you do something with your hands or fingers in game and then the controller can make that feel immersive.. probably at it's worst when devs are doing stuff like "making something more difficult when your stamina is low."

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Indeed, seeing even Xbox stans reacting like that... At least he's honest about how he feel i'll give him that.
I don't call it honest but hypocrite. Another developer called him out about tech stuff, to stop to talk to things which barely know, but he persist to spread nonsense. Yeah serie X has hardware advantage but he persist to say it will grow with the time, it's pure fanboysm try to argue such conjecture.

Last edited:
Just to mention, if you change to pick up at a location, this usually delays the pick up availability by a day.. at least in my experience.

It is more safe to be sure, but I though it might be good to mention.

It will be delayed if you select pick up at a ups/FedEx store since it’s still being dropped on a truck and delivered, but not if you designate to pick up directly at the distribution center it’s being locally delivered from.

sircaw

Banned
Something that has been bugging me the last few days and how the term of full rdna2 was announced on the xbox Twitter.

We all know that custom engineering basically means taking an existing part, modifying it or exchanging it for one that is better or more useful to/for that particular machine. You don't remove a standard feature to put a worse working part in.

So by all metrics, sony replaced a part of the standard Rdna2 and superseded it with their own version. so by all metrics, Sony's hardware is better or more evolved as they don't have the restrictions of direct x or the pc to compete against.

I almost feel like it's shady when Microsoft uses the term full r2dna as they are basically trying to say, we are better than sony's because they are not using the word, Full, R2DN2, at the same time they know sony's has custom engineering but are not declaring it

Microsoft is banking on people not understanding or taking information at face value.

Is this Clever marketing by Microsoft or just another long line of being rather shady.

I always feel dirty when listening to Microsoft Pr, they are extremely clever and masters of it.

Would love to hear other peoples thought's here please.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

"Haptic vibration also works with PS4 retro-compatible games"

"We have had the opportunity to play some PS4 retro-compatible titles. Those games can be played with our Dualshock in the traditional way, but if we play with the Dualsense controller we will also benefit from some specific hardware improvements. We’ve been struck by how haptic vibration works in a game like The Last of Us Part II. Not only do we get a feel for it when we ride, right at the start of the game, but we can even feel the vibration with some guitar chords that sound like a soundtrack.

This is because the Dualsense controller uses the audio tracks as a source to trigger the vibration. But don’t panic, this doesn’t mean that every time music is played our controller vibrates, but rather that it is activated at relevant moments in the game, when music plays an important role. As we have said above, the case of the guitar chords (in a soundtrack composed by Gustavo Santaolalla)."

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Microsoft is banking on people not understanding or taking information at face value.

Is this Clever marketing by Microsoft or just another long line of being rather shady.

I always feel dirty when listening to Microsoft Pr, they are extremely clever and masters of it.

That's for sure. They continue to sell specs on the paper as the holy bible and Watch Dogs Legion proved how deleterious is it to spread miraculous perfomance on the paper to the common people which grow their expectations beyond the rationality.

Last edited:

Dolomite

Yeah it is sad, I have masters degree in environmental sciences and did noise measurements in a job + also 80 page study about noise measurements as part of the education + my boss were the most respected noise measurement expert in the country. And I dont remember seeing one (1) professionally made measurement from consoles so far, of any gen :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And people believe these, because they have zero knowledge and/or they are gullible. They dont know shit about sound or measurements = any baboon with phone app is expert to them, sadly. People I met in the job, regular people, none had real understanding and they made wrong assumptions like few seconds of measuring is good(it is not) indicator, that how they get annoyed is certain mark that levels are illegal and so on.

I could bet this twitter baboon have phone app as "noise meter" as 99% have and think it have anything to do with calibrated professional equipment. And thinking how his "300 dollar mic" tells anything about the situation is stupid, it is probably some mic made for talking, not measuring noise. So those mics have some filters to make sound quality better usually. Good professional noise meters cost easily thousands (reason why they are almost never used in these "tests")

It is frustrating when people claim the system is "silent" or "whisper quiet", those literally tell nothing and mean nothing. Only professionally made measurements using standards tell the truth.

otherwise it is just random measurement, anything can fuck it up

- wrong equipment
- background noises (loud fans / ventilation / road traffic etc) = console can be noisy as fuck but these noises mask it = it is now "silent"
- wrong distance / different distances in different measurements
- wrong angle / side of device
- and 10 things more

devices must be measured in dampened "quiet room" with really low background noise levels, using same standards, calculating average from all/most sides from the device.

noise is subjective so reports are just personal feelings, not reality

Basically any device with fan is audible, only silent consoles are old NES/SNES era systems and even those emit tiny amount of noise in theory.

tl;dr it is safe to say that almost all internet console noise measurements are useless, as they are done wrongly + without professional equipment & environment
You could...just ask him in a tweet which mic he used, and how he came to the "whisper quiet" conclusion. Jez pretty much responds to anyone not being a complete asshat

Last edited:

Dolomite

Why do people think this is true? I work with audio. Simply turning on my microphone, far removed from my computer, in a quiet environment, still measures something. Whisper quiet is still audible in a microhpone. There's no need to lie to make a point on something that seems to be true (the console running quiet in taxing tasks).

Unless he has a noise gate enabled and is too stupid to understand what a noise gate is, which wouldn't suprise me.
I wouldn't know. I studied film production and have experience in audio, moving, editing but won't lie and say I'm an audio expert that can vouch for Jez in this instance. Sounds too good to be true but then again why lie about something everyone will see for themselves in a few days

assurdum

Banned
It will take a while?

Has he seen something we haven't?
Nothing of new. Now because the new MS console used generic SDK tools, he think it will take more time to push it but the facts is, ps5 also will be pushed better with the time, developers never worked with such I/O management and we don't know where will land the next generation games . So it is a nonsense expect improvement just in your favourite side.

Last edited:

RookX22

Something that has been bugging me the last few days and how the term of full rdna2 was announced on the xbox Twitter.

We all know that custom engineering basically means taking an existing part, modifying it or exchanging it for one that is better or more useful to/for that particular machine. You don't remove a standard feature to put a worse working part in.

So by all metrics, sony replaced a part of the standard Rdna2 and superseded it with their own version. so by all metrics, Sony's hardware is better or more evolved as they don't have the restrictions of direct x or the pc to compete against.

I almost feel like it's shady when Microsoft uses the term full r2dna as they are basically trying to say, we are better than sony's because they are not using the word, Full, R2DN2, at the same time they know sony's has custom engineering but are not declaring it

I agree with this. We all know microsoft pays close attention to their twitter warriors and the rdna2 narrative has been going on since the leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom