• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
That is boxed sales though in the UK. I'm actually surprised so many boxed units are selling for XSX. Who knows what the digital sales are for xbox, as you can buy your game early and play on your current box before downloading the upgrades. Not really sure we can trust these numbers as a trend.
Yep digital will only up those sales for both platforms but boxed sales will rise once all the consoles are released.

Exactly, so what makes him right now? Trust no one.

Agreed.

The amount of people who had exact info on each system prior to launch was quite small.

That number dwindles dramatically who had exact info on both systems before launch.

Everyone who hears things who talks on forums like these are probably 3rd hand info at best coming from the telephone game.

Its all about who is right a lot of the time because no one is going to nail it every time.

Just my 2 cents.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
And there it is. If there's one insider people should listen to, it's Matt. Everything he said about ps4 and xbo turned out to be true.
To play devil's advocate, Matt said that the difference in games will be around 15%. But so far we havent seen that manifest. The biggest difference we saw was in the 60 fps modes of DMCV where it sometimes had a lead of 3%. Sometimes. PS5 seems to be on par or better in most other games and modes.

Agreed.

The amount of people who had exact info on each system prior to launch was quite small.

That number dwindles dramatically who had exact info on both systems before launch.

Everyone who hears things who talks on forums like these are probably 3rd hand info at best coming from the telephone game.

Its all about who is right a lot of the time because no one is going to nail it every time.

Just my 2 cents.

You’re only saying this because you nailed pretty much every point about next-gen consoles so far :messenger_beaming:

Damn this is the UK, here it is one of the few Xbox havens.

Worldwide the splits might settle around 2.5:1 at least.
Interestingly enough the fabulous XSS is still in stock widely (at least in Europe). Would be interesting to see the split between XSX and XSS, but there goes the genius move theory of creating that box and how it would sell gangbusters...

lol I wish my track record would have been that good.

The only point I really hung my hat on was Series X being stronger

I missed A LOT as well

I do recall you being one of the only ones saying PS5 was around 10TFLOPs, at the same time Osiris and TF were propagating the 14TF narrative.

Heck, OsirisBlack claimed Xbox had the far better launch lineup of games. Look how that turned out:messenger_tears_of_joy:

oldergamer

I'm in the UK and have already pre-ordered Demon's and SpiderMan on PS5. You can absolutely purchase digitally already on PS5 in Europe.
So how does that work exactly? I'm assuming the PS5 version is not downloading to your PS4? Or does it just mean one you have the PS5 you have the option to download and install?

assurdum

Banned
To play devil's advocate, Matt said that the difference in games will be around 15%. But so far we havent seen that manifest. The biggest difference we saw was in the 60 fps modes of DMCV where it sometimes had a lead of 3%. Sometimes. PS5 seems to be on par or better in most other games and modes.
I think but I could be wrong that gap between the two console isn't easily measurable as we think. Again maybe Matt won't to be too much unbalanced to the series X specs and continue to give more trust to it just for the data sheet . But everytime he talks about the difference in multiplat, he abuses the terms of modest gap, he appears almost conflicted to me, as he reserved his real thought for himself. But just my guess

Last edited:
lol I wish my track record would have been that good.

The only point I really hung my hat on was Series X being stronger

I missed A LOT as well
How do you feel about specific one? Did you just have strong indication of tflop count back then or some actual apple to apple comparisons of 3rd party games running on both devkits?
Not trying to get you to out any source though, so please share only what you feel comfortable :)

Rudius

I bet you, Spiderman PS4 sales on December will double PS5 sales.
17c.png

jzosa

I don't feel like it, but there was a period of time where he was shunned in this very thread. If no one remembers, that's not my problem.

Exactly, so what makes him right now? Trust no one.
He was shunned by some but he's been maybe the only level-headed dev who stated this. He's always been right.

XNpWujd.png

He also said he expected Xbox to be stronger. I cant find it right now, though.

How do you feel about specific one? Did you just have strong indication of tflop count back then or some actual apple to apple comparisons of 3rd party games running on both devkits?
Not trying to get you to out any source though, so please share only what you feel comfortable :)

Even pretty far back I was never given a direct TF number I was only told the Xbox was slightly more powerful but the PS5 had the faster SSD.

Was also told very early on the PS5 was technically a little more advanced but never really got any details on that and maybe that was in the wifi and usb-c I dont know.

But I also had been hearing for probably a month prior to launch these early games were performing better on PS5

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Even pretty far back I was never given a direct TF number I was only told the Xbox was slightly more powerful but the PS5 had the faster SSD.

Was also told very early on the PS5 was technically a little more advanced but never really got any details on that and maybe that was in the wifi and usb-c I dont know.

But I also had been hearing for probably a month prior to launch these early games were performing better on PS5
I have never been an insider but I was wondering if any of your sources ever said to you something that you kept to avoid them being discovered or are discussions too evasive to really get solid factual intel?

With the NEXTGEN Patch applied:

Call of Duty Warzone will be 120FPS on XSX compared to 60 FPS on PS5

Star Wars Squadrons will be 120FPS on XSX compared to 60 FPS on PS5

Rocket League will be 120FPS on XSX compared to 60 FPS on PS5

That’s actually a 100% difference and especially for a fast space FPS or Multiplayer Games in general 120FPS makes a huge difference compared to 60 FPS.

Also, Call of Duty Warzone and Rpcket League are one of the most popular multiplayer games on earth and pretty big. A lot of players. Way more than all the launch games combined.

ethomaz

Banned

That’s actually a 100% difference and especially for a fast space FPS or Multiplayer Games in general 120FPS makes a huge difference compared to 60 FPS.

Also, Call of Duty Warzone and Rpcket League are one of the most popular multiplayer games on earth and pretty big. A lot of players. Way more than all the launch games combined.
There is patch that makes BC games on PS5 be 120fps.

Unless it do a part... that technically makes it a PS5 game and not BC anymore.

Last edited:

cragarmi

Tbf the idea that the PS5 had more TF seem to have came from the fact the xbox specs were more widely known in the dev community, but it was also widely know that the PS5 Devkit performance rivalled it, or exceeded it, hence the speculation.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I do recall you being one of the only ones saying PS5 was around 10TFLOPs, at the same time Osiris and TF were propagating the 14TF narrative.

Heck, OsirisBlack claimed Xbox had the far better launch lineup of games. Look how that turned out:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Heck Osirisblack claimed that the machines would be so close that only the games would matter. Also said we’d get RE8 really quickly as well as God of War ragnarok (name drop) Also said they would have better games not at launch. Look at how that turned out.....

Edited to add: can only go by what I was told and shown..... I’ve been told a lot since then but believe me I ain’t saying shit .... just watching.

Last edited:
I have never been an insider but I was wondering if any of your sources ever said to you something that you kept to avoid them being discovered or are discussions too evasive to really get solid factual intel?

100% I have only shared openly on the forums a fraction of things said while gaming with some of these guys.

To be honest a lot of stuff said could never be proven anyhow to a forum its just friends bull shitting.

But when I say something here I USUALLY try to provide Mod of War Mod of War some kind of context as to why I made a comment

vkbest

So PS5 is 2.3 times more powerful than XSX? I mean Dark Souls 3 is 900p/30fps on XSX and 1080p/60fps on PS5

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
100% I have only shared openly on the forums a fraction of things said while gaming with some of these guys.

To be honest a lot of stuff said could never be proven anyhow to a forum its just friends bull shitting.

But when I say something here I USUALLY try to provide Mod of War Mod of War some kind of context as to why I made a comment
I think a lot of us envy your undisclosed knowledge but part of me still thinks that surprises are part of the charm of gaming.

SlimySnake

are you delusional enough to believe this?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Agreed.

Just my 2 cents.
In the end it's going to be colored by who they know too... different devs are going to get different amount of support from Sony or MS, different devs engines are going to run differently on new hardware, etc.. an "insider" probably literally knows 1 dev at 1 company and is just hearing what that person tells them. Smart people like yourself make sure to not make insane proclamations based on what you are hearing because you know it's not the entire story.

Everyone declaring things being a certain way based on like 2-3 tested 3rd party games is silly.

The only thing we can declare is that the systems are really close... if they weren't so close we'd be seeing different results.

But it can go in any direction from here.

What we can say is that the launch experience is incredibly similar.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

PS5 tools

b70e23c325700f1a8993aa9b8096b7ca.jpg

XSX tools

09e2f2706496284e428a48524d60840d.jpg

NEbeast

Remember when Assassins creed was only 60 on the xsx, and not ps5. I'm positive that warzone will be patched, Sony have COD exclusives, it would be crazy not to push Activision to patch it.
Heck Osirisblack claimed that the machines would be so close that only the games would matter. Also said we’d get RE8 really quickly as well as God of War ragnarok (name drop) Also said they would have better games not at launch. Look at how that turned out.....

Edited to add: can only go by what I was told and shown..... I’ve been told a lot since then but believe me I ain’t saying shit .... just watching.
Did you forget to change accounts?

SlimySnake

There was NO next gen patch applied contrary to what you claim. They added a BC patch that allows the xsx versions to run at 120 fps which is a hard limitation on PS4 BC.

The BC limitations have nothing to do with the fact that the PS5 cant handle 120 fps. It is literally doing 120 fps BETTER in CoD Black Ops Cold War and DMCV.

Once a next gen SKU is made for Warzone and Rocket league, it will easily be able to do 120 fps.

Using BC to prove that one console is more powerful than the other is nonsense because Just Cause 3 and Dark Souls 3 run at 900p 30 fps on xbox series x and 1080p 60 fps on PS5. Does that mean the PS5 is 50%-100% more powerful?

Hey man, I meant no offense. Only reflecting on a couple of the claims I understood that you made, that didn't seem to pan out. Of course you could have had a bad source. If your info was third-hand, there's always going to be opportunities for misunderstanding/misinterpretation.

TBH though, even after launch, I still can't see Xbox having better first party exclusives than Playstation... even acknowledging the Zenimax acquisition (that i'm very sure you or your sources had no clue about).

Playstation's FP games are absolute top tier in the industry. And short of MS buying Rockstar, they'll never really be able to compete there.

I failed you son i'm sorry

It was a mistake not pushing you to finish your English classes

Due to this we had to make tough decisions on what else we could achieve. Enabling 120hz on Xbox Series X|S is a minor patch, but enabling it on PS5 requires a full native port due to how backwards compatibility is implemented on the console, and unfortunately wasn’t possible due to our focus elsewhere.

It doesn't. By far, the most people today have still 60 hz TV or at least 4K 60 hz, not 120 hz. Exactly because those are the biggest games out there, you are gonna find tons of people who have no idea what refresh rates or OLED/LCD etc actually are. 120 fps on consoles as of right now are almost irrilevant, unless you are between the few people with the right TVs. For the TV market, once you hit 60 fps you are mighty fine.
Not to say that PS5 is so much better either, it's just that there is no "huge difference" here.

Last edited:

DrDamn

So how does that work exactly? I'm assuming the PS5 version is not downloading to your PS4? Or does it just mean one you have the PS5 you have the option to download and install?

PSN webstore. Though for games where there is cross gen and cross buy you can purchase the PS4 version and then download the PS5 version when you have that.

They were lightning fast with those BC comparisons and DMC5 SE. Interesting isn't it?
They were also lighting fast at delivering an hour long praise of Demon's Souls, and DMC5 SE is actually not a bad take for PS5 at all, which even have big advantages in 120 fps mode.
I mean, sure, maybe Alex is a fan boy, but I also remember the people months ago whining about DF talking of Series X so much, and no one ever, ever thought that simply there wasn't shit to truly talk about PS5 in comparison to Series X.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
You should inform yourself a little better.
I dont know why, but every xbox fan is like this, totally blind and ignorant.

Unfair to say "every xbox fan" but there's a CLEAR distinction between the more ardent fanboys (vs PC, Nintendo, Playstation). The pattern is undeniable, only one of these is constantly making up bullshit. The last 12 months are a big enough sample.

They were also lighting fast at delivering an hour long praise of Demon's Souls, and DMC5 SE is actually not a bad take for PS5 at all, which even have big advantages in 120 fps mode.
I mean, sure, maybe Alex is a fan boy, but I also remember the people months ago whining about DF talking of Series X so much, and no one ever, ever thought that simply there wasn't shit to truly talk about PS5 in comparison to Series X.

You're right and they have a lot of shit to cover. But history shows they are usually quick to do comparisons, but they are dragging their feet a bit here which is uncommon. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though. Fully expect excuses though "strange result, not sure what's going on, early dev tools, wait for patch" etc etc

Also, Demons Souls was an opportunity. John was speaking to the devs. There's no analysis yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom