• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Germany Retail Series X with a custom Phison SSD
They're not all WD SSDs

cvtioSy.png

Unfair to say "every xbox fan" but there's a CLEAR distinction between the more ardent fanboys (vs PC, Nintendo, Playstation). The pattern is undeniable, only one of these is constantly making up bullshit. The last 12 months are a big enough sample.

You're right and they have a lot of shit to cover. But history shows they are usually quick to do comparisons, but they are dragging their feet a bit here which is uncommon. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though. Fully expect excuses though "strange result, not sure what's going on, early dev tools, wait for patch" etc etc

Also, Demons Souls was an opportunity. John was speaking to the devs. There's no analysis yet.
I guess you do an analysis or an interview, time is limited, but in both ways they are going to push PS5. The Miles Morales video was also very enthusiast of ray tracing.
At the end of the day they do what they have to do, with some "dips" here and there, but I don't consider them as biased in general, and I believe there was an overreaction at the time.

Thirty7ven

Banned
At the end of the day they do what they have to do, with some "dips" here and there, but I don't consider them as biased in general, and I believe there was an overreaction at the time.

Overreaction?

Dude, Richard or somebody at DF went ahead and CONTACTED EA because PS4 pro was running a game better than XSX. Titanfall I believe? It was crazy. Imagine this shit.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I agree to some extent that Sony's PS5 has a much more matured tool sets and API's, they've been ahead of these things for a while now especially since the PS4.

That being said, I still find it interesting that PS5 is on par and even edging out Series X in some of these comparisons, you'd think the raw compute performance would give Series X a lead on most comparisons but it's not the case. I agree that we will see better performance over time for the Series X when the tools become a little more mature but the same could easily be said for PS5, remember what Matt Hargett said about how developers overtime will learn to hit the caches more often to get performance on the PS5 and this was in response to those same comparisons and that's only one factor, others will include much more effect API's and profiles.

A few insiders (some on here as well) as well as RedGamingTech have mentioned a number of times now that the PS5 and Series X "approach" is completely different in terms of APU design. Series X being "slower but wider" and PS5 being "narrow but fast" and each one of these approaches have their own advantages over one another, which approach was a better choice? we'll see by the end of this generation but I already know what my money is on.

Garani

Using BC to prove that one console is more powerful than the other is nonsense because Just Cause 3 and Dark Souls 3 run at 900p 30 fps on xbox series x and 1080p 60 fps on PS5. Does that mean the PS5 is 50%-100% more powerful?

Actually, I would be tempeted to go with that narrative :)

They're not all WD SSDs

cvtioSy.png

Which means that they really went to market and got whatever was fitting the bill.

Overreaction?

Dude, Richard or somebody at DF went ahead and CONTACTED EA because PS4 pro was running a game better than XSX. Titanfall I believe? It was crazy. Imagine this shit.
If you have a better machine, like Xbox One X compared to Pro, and you work with tech, you may want to know why the game runs worse on the better machine.

Thirty7ven

Banned
If you have a better machine, like Xbox One X compared to Pro, and you work with tech, you may want to know why the game runs worse on the better machine.

Well their job is to make a video, analyze the differences, speculate on the reasons. Not to go into fanboy mode.

Can MS guarantee constant performance in this way or do they throttle the SSDs a little so that the experience remains the same for all users? Serious question!

Their ssd solution is bog standard. Which is why the advertised speeds are also average. They have one hardware de-compressor processor, and the rest is all software.

Last edited:
Well their job is to make a video, analyze the differences, speculate on the reasons. Not to go into fanboy mode.
What I described is not being a fanboy.
If Series X is supposed to be better (EXAMPLE) than PS5 and suddently performs worse, and I had contact with tech people behind the game, I would ask them "sorry what the fuck?" the very next day. Even if I was an holder of both console.

Last edited:

chilichote

Their ssd solution is bog standard. Which is why the advertised speeds are also average. They have one hardware de-compressor processor, and the rest is all software.
I ask because the write and read rates are certainly not the same across manufacturers.

MS has to intervene somehow so that all users have the same results in front of the television.

Thirty7ven

Banned
What I described is not being a fanboy.
If Series X is supposed to be better (EXAMPLE) than PS5 and suddently performs worse, in case I had contact with tech people behind the game I would ask them "sorry what the fuck?". Even if I was an holder of both console.

The video is their voice, it's where they can ask that question. Otherwise what's the point of these 15 min long H2H? What, is this supposed to be QA for Xbox? fuk me

I ask because the write and read rates are certainly not the same across manufacturers.

MS has to intervene somehow so that all users have the same results in front of the television.

I'm sure they only get the options that do perform.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Heck Osirisblack claimed that the machines would be so close that only the games would matter. Also said we’d get RE8 really quickly as well as God of War ragnarok (name drop) Also said they would have better games not at launch. Look at how that turned out.....

Edited to add: can only go by what I was told and shown..... I’ve been told a lot since then but believe me I ain’t saying shit .... just watching.
No offense but you posted a lot of nonsense about the ps5 being 12+ tflops and posted lengthy impressions of game walkthroughs that we still havent seen. What game was that anyway? Where is it?

I know you just want to post as a user now but you cant just lose your credibility like that and pretend that never happened.

The video is their voice, it's where they can ask that question. Otherwise what's the point of these 15 min long H2H? What, is this supposed to be QA for Xbox? fuk me
They pretty much do it the time they are pointing that game X runs worse when it shouldn't. As for DMC5, they said it's strange. If someone from Capcom want to clarify please just do it. Nothing should stop them from talking directly with e-mails and stuff instead of WAITING for an employee to find the video.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Personally I think your assumption is correct about throttling.

The drives all just have to be capable of > 2.5GB/second and MS can use them, but is throttling them for consistency.

Last edited:

reksveks

The drives all just have to be capable of > 2.5GB/second and MS can use them, but is throttling them for consistency.

Would that logic apply to the m.2 slot in the ps5 when it is enabled?
They're not all WD SSDs

cvtioSy.png
Link?

That's the same one as in the seagate external storage drive, no? I am sure that i have seen that model number somewhere before. https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/15/xbox-series-x-seagate-expansion-card-teardown/

Last edited:

chilichote

I'm sure they only get the options that do perform.
Yes, I hope so very much^^

In some way MS has to make sure of that, throttling is a possibility.

I only know from SD cards, possibly a bad comparison, but the performance varies from manufacturer to manufacturer despite the same information.

Thirty7ven

Banned
They pretty much do it the time they are pointing that game X runs worse when it shouldn't. As for DMC5, they said it's strange. If someone from Capcom want to clarify please just do it. Nothing should stop them from talking directly with e-mails and stuff instead of WAITING for an employee to find the video.

We have a difference of opinion about the role of DF.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Would that logic apply to the m.2 slot in the ps5 when it is enabled?

They might.

Both companies are touting the sustained / consistent speeds, and touting them as a key part of the architecture. The only real way to do this is to test your drives at the "worst possible case scenario" at those speeds. So you run something intensive on the CPU and GPU in a room with a higher than normal but within range ambient temperature, maximizing the other thermal issues the system is designed to handle, and then at the same time you'd run your SSD at it's most intensive I/O scenarios expected and make sure it doesn't exceed it's own thermal max.

On the MS side they have that + the "if we sell people different speed XBox's people will figure this out and it'll cause people to get mad, return things, open their systems to look at what is installed, etc.,etc." ... for Sony's expansion slot, that issue isn't really at play.. but the thermal issues are.. so they might lock SSDs at 5.5GB/second.

As it stands, SSDs on PC can easily get dumped down to 1/5th their max speed during intensive thermal throttling. So if Sony lets you throw in a drive rated at "7GB/second" and actually runs it at 7G/second, they increase the chance the drive is either going to fail, or they are going to have to throttle it.. and since the system is designed not to throttle.. that likely means "Sorry your PS5 is too hot, please try later" shutdowns.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Japanese analysts say that PS5 and Xbox Series may be the last gaming devices from Sony and Microsoft

They say this every new console launch LOL!!!

ethomaz

Banned
So I just saw this...any weight to this or more fud? (Yes, yes, I know the account its coming from, lol)

Let's check.

How do overclock create data corruption? I mean I never read anything about that.
Memory? It is not overclocked... it runs at standard clocks.
GPU? It not even write in the disc.
CPU? 3.5Ghz is overclocked to Zen2?

Data corruption is probably software bug... unless the hardware lose energy while writing the data to disc.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
No offense but you posted a lot of nonsense about the ps5 being 12+ tflops and posted lengthy impressions of game walkthroughs that we still havent seen. What game was that anyway? Where is it?

I know you just want to post as a user now but you cant just lose your credibility like that and pretend that never happened.

That’s what I was told and delayed until 2021. I gave away what it was a while ago but won’t be saying anything else. I’m just a spectator. The only nonsense is how people pick one incorrect thing and ignore how many that were correct? I get it oh no flops wrong bad. RE8 denied (confirmed) GoWR denied (Confirmed) Superman denied (confirmed) Consoles = performance denied (confirmed) again I am just a spectator and still want BOTH consoles to perform well as competition is good for everyone. (Sits back and watches)

Dodkrake

Banned
With the NEXTGEN Patch applied:

Call of Duty Warzone will be 120FPS on XSX compared to 60 FPS on PS5

Star Wars Squadrons will be 120FPS on XSX compared to 60 FPS on PS5

Rocket League will be 120FPS on XSX compared to 60 FPS on PS5

That’s actually a 100% difference and especially for a fast space FPS or Multiplayer Games in general 120FPS makes a huge difference compared to 60 FPS.

Also, Call of Duty Warzone and Rpcket League are one of the most popular multiplayer games on earth and pretty big. A lot of players. Way more than all the launch games combined.

Except there's no Next Gen patch for the PS5 versions, games are running in back compat mode, you Muppet.

Darius87

Heck Osirisblack claimed that the machines would be so close that only the games would matter. Also said we’d get RE8 really quickly as well as God of War ragnarok (name drop) Also said they would have better games not at launch. Look at how that turned out.....

Edited to add: can only go by what I was told and shown..... I’ve been told a lot since then but believe me I ain’t saying shit .... just watching.
tell us how many things you got wrong under your vetted account.
just to remind people how fake you are:
Trees sway in the wind and a trail of smoke drifts off into the twilight sky. You can see the embers from the smoke floating around in the distance. Soldiers throw a body into the flames sending smoke embers and sparks into the night sky. The man walks towards the soldiers the camera is low to the ground and behind him. As he walks across what looks to be a recently concluded battleground he walks with a purpose through the mud. We see his footprints in the mud and a puddle of water ripples as he steps through it. He stands off in the distance between the trees but in plain view. His back to the sun it is too bright to make him out. The shadows look much better in this version crisp and detailed.

There is another from memory description of a video I saw well before it was released to the public. Just like the above is detailed enough for you to know exactly what I was talking about when you see it.
what was that you can talk about it now?
MS is killing it .... literally. This is the most excited I have been for a MS console ever and I have owned them all but if half of this shit is shown, MS E3 is going to be hard to beat.
PS5 will have exclusive games but honestly it looks like MS line up will be very good or even better initially. Some late gen PS4 games will be counted as launch titles (I don't like it but it is what I am hearing) But there will be some PS5 games that are true exclusives and cannot be played on PS4.
11.6/12.4 never changed numbers and those are gdk not retail units. Yes I did say the PSV gdk was loud and hot and it was. Newer one is not pretty simple actually. I still stand on those original numbers as I said I will die on this hill. I would like to know who said the XseX was finished and in form factor and out in certain peoples homes before i did. That's not just a toss shit at the wall statement. Also about the day drinking who says we didn't go out to eat? I mean I did send a Mod verification as to exactly where I was before I posted anything about it. Its fine though keep beating that drum. You keep hating and I will keep on day drinking . Also don't twist my words I said that the newer gdk is slightly ahead and it is if you ask my opinion I still think the PSV will release with a higher overall TF and performance number than the XseX. Nothing has changed they were BOTH targeting 13TF as stated before so I don't even know why people keep saying 9. This gets funnier as time goes by though ..... Osiris "New game runs at 4k 90fps locked" few days later Microsoft "Were supporting 4k and up to 120fps." Yep you're right I have no idea or clue and the pictures (multiple) I sent the mods don't mean anything. /s
No. I’ll die on this hill, 11.6 (they will say 12, does this sound familiar?) and 12..4 this was what I was told months ago. From what I have seen, not heard. their is no gap in power and if it is it’s negligible. Be happy both consoles are powerful. BOTH are comparable to a 2080 super.
Actually what I said was.

"I'm going to help dig yourself out of this hole, remember when someone (I have no idea who) said they heard the machines were 11.6 and 12.4 sometime last year? That number was SPOT ON at that time with PSV having a slight lead but also having heat and sound issues. (Heat and sound are no longer issues) MS announces 12 TF hey look a .4 increase not bad at all they made it. BOTH are > 10 (said this last year) with PSV still having a slight advantage. (Said this last year also.) Both were aiming for a very high number (13) and from what I can gather one of them may have actually hit that number. (Its not MS) Either way BOTH consoles are stupidly powerful and still very close. 12 vs 12.4 or 13.2 (Within 1TF of the numbers with a . up in both cases not down) isn't bad at all."

That's me doubling down on 12.4 (which i said from the get go) or Higher. Nothing lower.
On the hardware side not even upset it puts them in a pretty shit position for the entire generation though. They will be playing catch up and their is no sauce created that can span that gulf. XSeX is definitely more powerful. Also clearing up a bunch of bullshit Ive read PSV does constantly run in boost mode but I don't think that is a good thing. (Own Opinion) Cant imagine sustaining that high a clock speed is going to be quiet after hours of playing anything. Never cared who won will still be getting both systems for exclusives but XSeX should be the multiplat king.
i get it you live and die with your fake sources live and learn, what's crazy to me that you're more mature then most of people in here.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

This is a problem with a lot of new xbox fanboys joining NeoGAF. You guys think you know it all when you have people like Colteastwood, TimDog and Blue Violet feeding you BS and then you come on here just to embarrass yourselves. lol.

Dodkrake

Banned
I agree to some extent that Sony's PS5 has a much more matured tool sets and API's, they've been ahead of these things for a while now especially since the PS4.

That being said, I still find it interesting that PS5 is on par and even edging out Series X in some of these comparisons, you'd think the raw compute performance would give Series X a lead on most comparisons but it's not the case. I agree that we will see better performance over time for the Series X when the tools become a little more mature but the same could easily be said for PS5, remember what Matt Hargett said about how developers overtime will learn to hit the caches more often to get performance on the PS5 and this was in response to those same comparisons and that's only one factor, others will include much more effect API's and profiles.

A few insiders (some on here as well) as well as RedGamingTech have mentioned a number of times now that the PS5 and Series X "approach" is completely different in terms of APU design. Series X being "slower but wider" and PS5 being "narrow but fast" and each one of these approaches have their own advantages over one another, which approach was a better choice? we'll see by the end of this generation but I already know what my money is on.

Honestly, looking at the amount of custom work on each console and the rumors around both, I'm not surprised. One is a heavily customized machine, the other one is a big dick stance where TFlops are the only relevant measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom