• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

Since there's so much news we're talking Xbox naming now: Did anyone watch the Apple WWDC keynote? Super reading into it time but Apple events are all about Kremlinology: Anyone notice that Tim specifically called out "Looks like there's a lot of Playstation fans out there" when mentioning DS4 controller support for ATV? Just reacting to an audience cheer is one thing, but they'd rarely do so for a competitor. Maybe Sony will have support for streaming to it at their coming conference, whether that's cloud gaming on it or streaming from a local PS4/5. iOS already has remote play so why not ATV.

LordOfChaos

Let's be honest, there were people cheering for a $999 stand for a $4999 monitor. That's hardly indicative of anything.

It's not the cheer that was interesting, it was Tim mentioning one specific competitive company when they mentioned two controllers supported. They rarely mention other companies in a positive light unless they're working together on something, especially where they have competitive products.

And there was more silence if not stifled laughter/horror at the 999 stand lol

Last edited:

SonGoku

Bloodborne is due to framepacing. It is actually skipping frames and trying to run higher than the 30 cap I believe. From needs to fix their shit, honestly.
I will commend MS on this, they actually give a fuck unlike Sony
If this was MS they would have sent a team over to help FS fix the issue.

Stuart360

So a couple of years into next gen and XB1 and PS4 are phazed out, anyone think the X and Pro will carry on getting cut down versions of next gen games?. I think its possible, for the X anyway.

LordOfChaos

I dunno what it is man, even publishing under Activision didn't change their frame pacing issue at all even if Sony/Japan Studio didn't care enough to lend a hand. Maybe it's something so core to their engine that a team their size doesn't have the resources to refactor yet.

Honestly would it be so bad if they gave up their proprietary janky engine and adopted any of the good licenced ones? This still looks like a DREAM to me

Fake

I guess is because Sony don't want to push From Software so much at the point of create fight between those two. Look at Seriko and you will still see the problem from Bloodborne.

NickFire

So a couple of years into next gen and XB1 and PS4 are phazed out, anyone think the X and Pro will carry on getting cut down versions of next gen games?. I think its possible, for the X anyway.
I suspect all of them will, even the current base units, until it stops being profitable or is not possible.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

This happens in all their games, on all platforms. Something about their engine probably. They need to overhaul it or license one.

Last edited:
Indie games are usually CPU-bound (Unity engine, single-threading), so this article makes sense.

Zen 2 CPU will be a boon to them.

On the other hand, many AAA games already use custom, multi-threaded engines and the Jaguar -> Zen 2 leap will allow them to offer more sophisticated AI, more NPCs and hopefully 60 fps too.

It's not the cheer that was interesting, it was Tim mentioning one specific competitive company when they mentioned two controllers supported. They rarely mention other companies in a positive light unless they're working together on something, especially where they have competitive products.

And there was more silence if not stifled laughter/horror at the 999 stand lol
Well, I don't think iPhone is competing against PlayStation/XBOX, but I could possibly see yet another "alliance" (Sony/MS/Apple) forming against Google Stadia (PS5/XB2 streaming on iOS devices, if that's what you meant to say).

Nope, XB1X CPU (Jaguar @ 2.3 GHz) won't hold a candle to Lockhart Zen 2 CPU @ 3.2 GHz.

5x difference is too much, unless you're happy with a premium machine running next-gen games at 12 fps (60 / 5). :)

Lockhart will be cheaper AND faster. The only downside: no optical disc drive.

That would be a dream, its not like FS needs their own dedicated engine to push graphics
Days Gone adopted UE4 and we all know the results.

It's a matter of technical expertise. FS or Bend just cannot compete against the likes of ND, Santa Monica, GG, Insomniac etc.

Maybe ICE Team should give them a lending hand? That was the norm back in the PS3 era.

I suspect all of them will, even the current base units, until it stops being profitable or is not possible.
All of them will get cross-gen/current-gen games, but not true next-gen games (like GTA6). The leap will be enormous for Jaguar to handle.

Kirilen

Neo Member
What, that seems like a fair price for such a great stand, it's obviously the best monitor stand I have ever seen.

Hello. Apple monitors are expensive and I purchased the Acer Predator x27 monitor, this monitor is not inferior to the Apple Monitor, but much cheaper. To this monitor, I purchased a mount, it cost me $ 60. It is available for my wallet. I am pleased with the monitor and monitor mount https://whatever-tech.com/best-single-monitor-stand-review/.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
If MS ended up mentioning comparative power multipliers to old xbox like Thurott.com suggested, that means that they lost the power advantage to PS5 or the TF number is very minimal.
MS is the type to shout any advantages they have over the the highest mountain.

The article suggested:
Anaconda: 2x One X
Lockhart: 4x One

Some crazy speculation suggested Ana is 4x One X at 24 TF looooool 🤣

• Triggered
Reactions: TLZ

Orenji Neko

Youl would still need double the CPU grunt to double the frame rate on pc

Eh? That's not how that works. The game's performance is dependent on a combination of CPU and GPU, and on PC the lean is much heavier into the GPU. Doom 2016 runs at an average of 90+FPS on a Lattepanda with a modest, low power usage CPU when mated to a strong graphics card at 4K on Ultra settings, which the current consoles or their Pro/X versions can't even do: they are stuck at 60 and do not have 1:1 detail quality with PC Ultra.

No modern CPU within the past 5 years, and certainly not moving forward, is going to bottleneck a very capable GPU into missing the 60FPS mark. People who use low end cards might see this issue, but they were knowingly accepting that already; they aren't trying to eclipse 60, they were looking for a tradeoff in price and performance while still being at/above console performance.

Still, that's only 60FPS. Performance oriented PC gamers like myself prefer to go well over 60; we don't invest in good hardware and 144+hz monitors just for 60 frames per second. The only games that come out for the PS5 and Xbox whatever-it-ends-up-being-called that won't run at 60+ FPS on a decent PC are the games that don't actually come out on the PC.

The Zen 2 isn't some magic bullet, and it's not even console exclusive; it's a line of CPUs that will also be cheaply available for PC (and of course there will be Zen 3, and whatever Intel has coming); couple that with a mid/high end card and, as before, there isn't any problem hitting only 60FPS. 60 might be a big deal on consoles but eh, not so much on PC; that's kind of our baseline of acceptability unless you are really just trying to squeeze by on a very weak system. Still though, a PC isn't going to need a Zen 2 to have double the 30 frames of a console; it only needs a decent CPU and mid/high end graphics card. Now double 60? That's a different story, but then we are back to the PC enthusiast circle where we already pay and build to do that so for us, that's just a given, and that's also point that just gets cheaper and easier as time goes on, more hardware comes out; all those kinds of things that are unique to PC gaming and don't apply to static console boxes.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Eh? That's not how that works. The game's performance is dependent on a combination of CPU and GPU, and on PC the lean is much heavier into the GPU. Doom 2016 runs at an average of 90+FPS on a Lattepanda with a modest, low power usage CPU when mated to a strong graphics card at 4K on Ultra settings, which the current consoles or their Pro/X versions can't even do: they are stuck at 60 and do not have 1:1 detail quality with PC Ultra.

No modern CPU within the past 5 years, and certainly not moving forward, is going to bottleneck a very capable GPU into missing the 60FPS mark. People who use low end cards might see this issue, but they were knowingly accepting that already; they aren't trying to eclipse 60, they were looking for a tradeoff in price and performance while still being at/above console performance.

Still, that's only 60FPS. Performance oriented PC gamers like myself prefer to go well over 60; we don't invest in good hardware and 144+hz monitors just for 60 frames per second. The only games that come out for the PS5 and Xbox whatever-it-ends-up-being-called that won't run at 60+ FPS on a decent PC are the games that don't actually come out on the PC.

The Zen 2 isn't some magic bullet, and it's not even console exclusive; it's a line of CPUs that will also be cheaply available for PC (and of course there will be Zen 3, and whatever Intel has coming); couple that with a mid/high end card and, as before, there isn't any problem hitting only 60FPS. 60 might be a big deal on consoles but eh, not so much on PC; that's kind of our baseline of acceptability unless you are really just trying to squeeze by on a very weak system. Still though, a PC isn't going to need a Zen 2 to have double the 30 frames of a console; it only needs a decent CPU and mid/high end graphics card. Now double 60? That's a different story, but then we are back to the PC enthusiast circle where we already pay and build to do that so for us, that's just a given, and that's also point that just gets cheaper and easier as time goes on, more hardware comes out; all those kinds of things that are unique to PC gaming and don't apply to static console boxes.

If the game is CPU limited and if it hits 30 FPS on the console Zen 2, getting a home PC to push it to 60 FPS will be challenging. Period :). Not sure why it is controversial?

FranXico

The "losing team" is usually pretty pro-active with third-party devs. In the PS3 days, Sony also sent out devs and used first party studios to help with 3rd party games. Heck, they even wrote an engine for them (Phyre Engine).

Orenji Neko

If the game is CPU limited and if it hits 30 FPS on the console Zen 2, getting a home PC to push it to 60 FPS will be challenging. Period :). Not sure why it is controversial?

Again, that's not how it works. It's a combination of the CPU and the GPU. It's not controversial or hard to understand because this is like common knowledge. Even CPU's that bottleneck a powerful GPU don't cost it as many frames as if it was a very powerful CPU and a bargain GPU.

Geki-D

Banned
? Bloodborne was actually made in partnership with Sony and Sony are known to send out teams to help devs...

molly14

So basically forget about buying the new playstation or xbox and just buy a new pc is what you are saying is it tnot,as they can never compete with the mighty all conquering PC :messenger_fistbump:

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

So basically forget about buying the new playstation or xbox and just buy a new pc is what you are saying is it tnot,as they can never compete with the mighty all conquering PC :messenger_fistbump:

What I said has nothing to do with buying a console or buying a PC and doesn't even suggest one or the other, it's about a technical discussion.

Xbox
4x over S for lockhart and 2x over X for anaconda makes sense. but its kinda disappointing.
As I said in another thread, that puts the S at 5.6TF and the X at 12TF. With the enhancements that RDNA brings, doesn’t this allow Lockhart to perform very similar to the 6TF XOX? If so, that would allow next gen graphics at 1440p/60. Anaconda would certainly allow those same graphics to run at 4K/60.

Darius87

Again, that's not how it works. It's a combination of the CPU and the GPU. It's not controversial or hard to understand because this is like common knowledge. Even CPU's that bottleneck a powerful GPU don't cost it as many frames as if it was a very powerful CPU and a bargain GPU.
There's way to campare it(not best way but still) assuming GPU isn't bottleneck on any system, PS4 jaguar is around 3600 in passmark using all cores(original cpu is bobcat 2 cores is 760 something in passmark so 760 * 4 + ipc improvment so roughly 3600)
now let's check minimum and recommended CPU for games that available for pc and ps4:
GameRecommended CPUPassmarkDifference vs jaguar 3600 Min Required CPUPassmarkDifference vs jaguar 3600
Rage 2i7 - 4470 / Ryzen 5 1600X 9780 / 13220 < 271 % / 367 %i5 - 3570 / Ryzen 3 1300X7129 / 7502 < 198 % / 208 %
Resident Evil 2i7 - 3770 / AMD FX - 9590 9280 / 10189< 257 % / 283 %i5 - 4460 / FX-63006716 / 6387< 186 % / 177 %
Shadow Of Tomb Raider i7 -4770K / Ryzen 5 160010077 / 12283 < 279 % / 341 %i3 - 32204243 < 117 %
min CPU is bit less then 2x increase over jaguar, but i don't think there's comparison playing min settings on pc vs ps4(which is around medium to high settings) and on recommended settings is around 2.5 to 3.5 increase over jaguar, so it's clearly that pc requires much more powerfull cpu over consoles just to play with same settings, with next- gen it's gonna be even worse.

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:

PaNaMa

Banned
We're 4 days from Microsoft e3 show, and there's been nothing on new Xbox hardware beyond vague speculation from months gone by -Props to MS for keeping it under wraps, but I wish they'd drop a couple of tidbits to escalate their hype levels going in . I'm not feeling the christmas eve excitement I normally get in the days leading up to e3.

MS is in centre stage position to steal the show and make a big impression since their competition has bailed. Is *complete* silence the best way to build hype? Maybe. What do I know? In my admittedly jaded experience, utter silence is a reasonable strategy when consumer speculation/expectation exceeds the reality of the actual product about to be revealed. In which case, maybe MS doesn't want to pour water on what little hype there is by hinting what's coming isn't as good as people are hoping. (as you can tell I'm a guess I'm a glass half empty sort of guy).

We're 4 days from Microsoft e3 show, and there's been nothing on new Xbox hardware beyond vague speculation from months gone by -Props to MS for keeping it under wraps, but I wish they'd drop a couple of tidbits to escalate their hype levels going in . I'm not feeling the christmas eve excitement I normally get in the days leading up to e3.

MS is in centre stage position to steal the show and make a big impression since their competition has bailed. Is *complete* silence the best way to build hype? Maybe. What do I know? In my admittedly jaded experience, utter silence is a reasonable strategy when consumer speculation/expectation exceeds the reality of the actual product about to be revealed. In which case, maybe MS doesn't want to pour water on what little hype there is by hinting what's coming isn't as good as people are hoping. (as you can tell I'm a guess I'm a glass half empty sort of guy).
It's just the calm before the storm. A few things trickled out this week, but nothing too major. Xbox is going to own every headline come Sunday - Monday and beyond until Sony does some sort of reveal.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Prepare to MS says Navi + Zen2 and nothing more just like Sony.

RAM amount, clocks, etc are the chess game between them.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

That is how it works, that is how it has always worked. Each resource can bottleneck the others. It is a combination of both, but even in cases where you can offload computation it does not come for free and may require extensive re-engineering even where it is practically doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom