• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaGwaphics

It was funny, David Prien was on a certain Podcast saying how those are dummy chips.

The chips they give to employees are defective, they are still the same design as the working chips. LOL

Fabbing a chip just to have a bigger one for a picture would be marketing at a new level. Especially since these things will be torn down at the first opportunity.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Nope. Oberon was first leaked when komachi listed the three BC clockspeeds. before that we only had gonzalo and flute from benchmark sites all based on the same tests AMD engineers were running. They are all the same chips. Ariel was the 1.8 ghz gpu in gonzalo. Oberon is the 2.0 ghz GPU. they are all the same. and they all differ widely from what devs had.

I keep saying this turned out to be correct because Phil himself confirmed 12 tflops and the 400mm2 picture in his profile indirectly confirms 12 tflops. Are you saying that a 400mm2 apu wont be at least 60 CUs? If anything 400mm2 confirms a 60+ CU GPU.

I mean even if you think the head of Xbox is a liar and is going around calling his 9 tflops GPU a 12 tflops console, you would think the 400mm2 apu would be a dead giveaway. to hit 9 tflops for a 60 CU gpu, you would need a 1.2 ghz clockspeed. surely MS isnt going with the same clocks they did with the x1x,

we dont need official specs when we have the head of xbox saying something and then the chip size confirming what hes saying.
Flute contains Oberon chip.

DJ12

Honestly I don't know why people are even fixated on what "devs" have or have not said. Like others on this page mentioned, they could have been working with devkits and the running theory for a long time was that XSX's devkits were running behind PS5s, as in behind schedule.
LOL, this old Chestnut.

These devkits they were referring to in November were probably final devkits, with actual console hardware in, devkits with equivalent powered PC parts spec'ed for xbox would've been in the hands of developers for a least a year. The beauty of Direct X means, unlike Sony, they don't need numerous revisions for devkits only anything will do, nvidia, intel, amd or even Cyrix... OK, that last one was too far.....

If you seriously think Phil Spencer and others got take home consoles, before final devkits were shipped, you are clearly losing a grip on reality.

I read something on here that Sony plan to ship final devkits in June or July, so in my book that would make them behind, by some margin, of course your mileage may vary.

Rossco EZ

if certain ps4 games ran at 4k could 9TF achieve that? if so could the tests leaked on github just be tests for what will become enhanced ps4 games running in better resolution and stress testing? would this explain only 36cu being shown? could the gpu have more cu in total but only be using 36 for ps4 games?

just a few questions on my mind, if they don’t make sense or i’m very wrong sorry was struggling to put my thoughts into words :messenger_squinting_tongue:

DJ12

if certain ps4 games ran at 4k could 9TF achieve that? if so could the tests leaked on github just be tests for what will become enhanced ps4 games running in better resolution and stress testing? would this explain only 36cu being shown? could the gpu have more cu in total but only be using 36 for ps4 games?

just a few questions on my mind, if they don’t make sense or i’m very wrong sorry was struggling to put my thoughts into words :messenger_squinting_tongue:
There's a few things they could be, I will put them in order of what I think is most likely.

1) Initial Devkit revision chips
2) Playstation now server chips
3) xcloud PS investigation chips
4) Special chips, for the recently found Big Foots TV in his cabin in the forest
5) PS5 retail chips

I think it's only 36 CUs because that's how many the chip had. No scandal or drama involved.

PlayStation do not mandate an API, there's two to choose from (or at least there was for PS4), one close to the metal and one more like DirectX. Close to the metal needs directly equivalent hardware I would imagine. (same architecture) so "big Navi" wasn't ready, so a small variant was created to get them out to devs with the big, proper chip coming later. This would explain the stupidly high clock as they would want this chip to get as close to the power target as possible. (although it would still be some way off - guess there could be something in the docs like if you are running at 45 fps on the dev kit, we expect this to be 60+ on the final devkit/retail unit)

Of course I maybe talking out my ass about the above, but it seems logical to me at least.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Here's some info. Take it to the bank.

Wardevil will not be released on PS5. Could have to wait until the PS6 or Stadia 3.

Been trying to remember what that game was called for years, thanks!

Just checked the trailer and screens, that hasn't aged well.. :'(

TLZ

Banned
@HeisenbergFX4, you're Cerny's and Spencer's cleaning lady, aren't you?

Admit it, you c%$t!!

giphy.gif

DJ12

Has this been posted I wonder. Good stuff. A mix of old and new tech demos. Enjoyable background music too. That's a first.

Some of that looks good/excellent (not all of it mind you - goat man and leather jacket dude).

PC already killed off next gen lol both consoles DOA.

Last edited:

DJ12

Mod of war was implying it
He said someone else was looking into it, yet here he is, still not banned. That was hours ago so maybe this guy has info too. Or maybe he's got PM's he's not answered. Or just maybe they haven't got round to the ban hammer yet.

Any status update Mod of War Mod of War on this S SCFC_ guy?
So anonymous "developers" said this at some undisclosed point in time before june of last year and we haven't really heard much else on that front except the shitty comment from Randy Pitchford?

Yeah ok...
[/R4]
So let's get this straight because Devs weren't willing to go on record with their comments and publicly break their ndas the information should be ignored.

Gotcha, thanks for the input.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just need to remind you things that i said before for the last time\
GPU: PS5>SeX ~10%
RayTracing Accelerators: PS5>X1 (PS5's RT works by using acceleration structures and algorithms much like nVidia's RTX cores)
CPU: Sex>PS5 ~ 6%
Memory: PS5>Sex for the size and bandwidth
SSD: PS5>Sex ~ Over twice as fast (this is the biggest and most noticable difference)
Fan noise (Dev-Kit): Sex>PS5 (not as egregious 1x vs. Pro).

BTW it's up to you believe me or not, but things gonna be clear very soon and you will find out who knows and who knows shit.

Bonus?
Remedy and Housemarque have been in Sony's WWS family for a while now!

Techland belongs to MS now!

If half of this is true..................OH BOY!

Seeing people on Twitter and online thinking it’s the 5th February for the PlayStation Meeting... it’s not 😂

Can you provide a specific date? We're getting lots of teases and vague hints, but no one seems confident enough to say - this day, or even - this week in February.

Possibly because they just choose Xbox one and call it a day for the platform? Combining them may be the way it’s should be looked at with the cross gen approach.
That's a stretch. More likely that they're expecting PlayStation to have strong sales as it traditionally has had and is therefore the sensible stable platform. There is also claims from Sony about ease of development, which may also play their part. L

demigod

No devs have said it, only "insiders" have said it.. and the insider on here who apparently has a very very good source says otherwise.
Which devs?
So anonymous "developers" said this at some undisclosed point in time before june of last year and we haven't really heard much else on that front except the shitty comment from Randy Pitchford?

Yeah ok...

You folks never heard of "anonymous" or "NDA"? No dev is going to outright say anything while under NDA.

splattered

He said someone else was looking into it, yet here he is, still not banned. That was hours ago so maybe this guy has info too. Or maybe he's got PM's he's not answered. Or just maybe they haven't got round to the ban hammer yet.

Any status update Mod of War Mod of War on this S SCFC_ guy?

So let's get this straight because Devs weren't willing to go on record with their comments and publicly break their ndas the information should be ignored.

Gotcha, thanks for the input.

Didn't Tom Warren say that he heard the Series X dev kit wasn't finished and was behind the PS5 dev kit? That could explain skewed perception by developers at the time.

Plus for all we know Sony could have sent out super powerful dev kits just to get something capable in the hands of developers as early as possible while the target specs of the retail model could be much more conservative.

Same stands for both camps, i'm not just picking on Sony I just think it's silly people are hanging on dev kits that probably STILL aren't in their final forms right now.

Aren't dev kit specs usually much higher than what we get at retail?

Imtjnotu

Didn't Tom Warren say that he heard the Series X dev kit wasn't finished and was behind the PS5 dev kit? That could explain skewed perception by developers at the time.

Plus for all we know Sony could have sent out super powerful dev kits just to get something capable in the hands of developers as early as possible while the target specs of the retail model could be much more conservative.

Same stands for both camps, i'm not just picking on Sony I just think it's silly people are hanging on dev kits that probably STILL aren't in their final forms right now.

Aren't dev kit specs usually much higher than what we get at retail?
I'd belive that if there weren't complete models already out in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom