• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Bluepoint games website

:messenger_beaming:

It was bad enough we had Sony Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Polyphony, Sucker Punch already passing the graphical benchmark mantle back and forth to eachother last and this gen, now we are going to have bluepoint in the mix too and insomniac 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️fucking Sony lol Stop over dojng shit and give these other guys a break 😡🤪🤬🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
That’s nice.

PS5 exclusive games will look better than any of the floppiest PC GPU cards.

Optimization + Talent + Strong enough hardware is everything.

PC may even hold next gen back due to lack of standard high speed SSDs
Jesus Christ this is laughable at best. Pc holding consoles back?! Yet the games are DEVELOPED on pc... Even the tech demos, in game engine demos, and trailers are rendered on PC. You guys are embarrassing yourselves, and will be butt hurt when digital foundry ruins your pipe dreams, yet again. Just like generation after generation.

P.S. the fastest storage on consoles, will be much slower than the offerings on PC

Last edited:

HawarMiran

Banned
Jesus Christ this is laughable at best. Pc holding consoles back?! Yet the games are DEVELOPED on pc... Even the tech demos, in game engine demos, and trailers are rendered on PC. You guys are embarrassing yourselves, and will be butt hurt when digital foundry ruins your pipe dreams, yet again. Just like generation after generation.
Developed on PC to run on Consoles and get ported to PC in a year. Publishers know where the money is at ;D. Ask Rockstar. And what pipe dreams are you talking about?

Last edited:

P.S. the fastest storage on consoles, will be much slower than the offerings on PC

the games are developed on a PC....to target a WIDE VARIETY of PCs....Including PCs without fast SSDs....

All PS5s will have a high speed SSD...exclusive PS5 games will optimize game design around this feature

webber

The wait, "fake" insiders/pastebins, excessive speculation, console wars and "achismos" can get a bit overwhelming and tiresome...

... but where there's smoke there's fire.
In the end if we keep our expectations in check and think a little we can already get an idea of what's to come.

I just want a "solid", ray traced, 4k, 60fps, U$500,00 experience for next gen.
9.8TF RDNA + SSD + HW Ray Tracing will do.

Developed on PC to run on Consoles and get ported to PC in a year. Publishers know where the money is at ;D. Ask Rockstar. And what pipe dreams are you talking about?
And which runs games better? Let's use Rockstar as an example since you mentioned them... Pick any GTA series, or even RDR2, and tell me which console can run better than PC? And by pipe dreams, meaning all of the people who think consoles are better than PC, or that PC is holding consoles back. The delusion is real.

OrionNebula

I really do not understand why people keep complaining about insider if they are real or not,

1) It is hard to be one, knowing something others do not, is no easy task, more if other people trusted you with the information.

2) Having the pressure of others telling you how much they want you to know, but you cant since it means to go against point 1.

3) People complaining about why you do not share the information with them, making them hate you for no valid reason.

4) People you do not know making you feel bad while complaining about anything you say.

5) Treats against you

Due to all those things I do not envy them.

I come here chilling and having fun. If one insider says something I do not pay much attention if it is false or true, either way, it won't affect my life (I won't get richer or poorer).

When both companies show their consoles, you can really judge who was real, and who was not.

Come on, man. When you come in here and drop sporadic, funny little cryptic riddles and vague claims to tease people, you can wrap up most of your points you mentioned here and toss them right in the garbage as far as I’m concerned

Except for treats. That shit has no place here and pretty much anywhere else

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I just want a "solid", ray traced, 4k, 60fps, U$500,00 experience for next gen.
9.8TF RDNA + SSD + HW Ray Tracing will do.
Sounds good for me for a next gen system.

The only potential pitfall I see are devs putting too much emphasis on RT sapping the power and making games play at 30 fps. I hope devs don't go overboard with it. So the more TF the system has, the more buffer power it has for studios going ape shit on RT.

I'd rather have 60 fps at less/zero RT than a bloomy reflecting RT game at 30 fps (or less).

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
So it doesn't matter whether I'm verified or not. You can't accept 1080-1080Ti performance for some reason. You want an actual TFLOP number which is useless when gauging performance. You don't like my comments that the PC GPUs are more powerful and next-gen consoles are already behind. Another fact because everyone dismissed Jensen's exact same comment. And you don't want to accept that top PS exclusives are coming to PC and will look better than the PS platform. All facts, and because I deliver these facts, I'm ignored or pushed aside. There you have it!
That's not why. In my case anyway. It's because all I see is you pushing PC master race all the time instead of just talking about consoles.

Gamernyc78

Banned
And which runs games better? Let's use Rockstar as an example since you mentioned them... Pick any GTA series, or even RDR2, and tell me which console can run better than PC? And by pipe dreams, meaning all of the people who think consoles are better than PC, or that PC is holding consoles back. The delusion is real.

You mean the 10% of pcs that can run those games better than console? Or the imaginary "every one owns a top rig tht outdoes consoles" I mean stats have been shown tht only a small percentage of pcs even run games at 4k even less with HDR.

the games are developed on a PC....to target a WIDE VARIETY of PCs....Including PCs without fast SSDs....

All PS5s will have a high speed SSD...exclusive PS5 games will optimize game design around this feature
I see you edited your post. So you do realize on pc, you have system memory, and you have GPU VRAM. Regardless if you have a slow HDD, a SSD, or NVME drive, the games textures, audio, etc are loaded into the system memory, so only load times will be affected on pc. When you have 16gb to 32gb of ram, plus another 11gb of vram, memory isn't an issue, and even a slow platter HDD won't affect GAMEPLAY.

HawarMiran

Banned
I see you edited your post. So you do realize on pc, you have system memory, and you have GPU VRAM. Regardless if you have a slow HDD, a SSD, or NVME drive, the games textures, audio, etc are loaded into the system memory, so only load times will be affected on pc. When you have 16gb to 32gb of ram, plus another 11gb of vram, memory isn't an issue, and even a slow platter HDD won't affect GAMEPLAY.
You like to quote digital foundry. so why don't you quote their video on star citizen? That you NEED a SSD to properly run that game?

Min 3:00

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Let's get this straight. An insider "knows" things that the general public doesn't know. Why would I give out false information? I wouldn't. It doesn't serve any purpose. If you don't like what you are hearing, that's on you. Wait till the day these specs be released -- no, wait until you see a game running on these consoles and see the performance or downgrades or whatever and complain then that you are going to not buy the consoles because "they led us to believe.." It'll be PS4/1X days all over again..
But I never had those issues you mention and was in fact very impressed with this generation's gfx. You see what you're doing here again?

So it doesn't matter whether I'm verified or not. You can't accept 1080-1080Ti performance for some reason. You want an actual TFLOP number which is useless when gauging performance. You don't like my comments that the PC GPUs are more powerful and next-gen consoles are already behind. Another fact because everyone dismissed Jensen's exact same comment. And you don't want to accept that top PS exclusives are coming to PC and will look better than the PS platform. All facts, and because I deliver these facts, I'm ignored or pushed aside. There you have it!

It's not about accepting a certain level of performance. It's just that you haven't really shared anything notable or specific enough to warrant attention. On top of that, any discussion about your information seems to devolve into PC vs Console arguments very quickly. It's not always your fault, but you do bring it up frequently.

You mean the 10% of pcs that can run those games better than console? Or the imaginary "every one owns a top rig tht outdoes consoles" I mean stats have been shown tht only a small percentage of pcs even run games at 4k even less with HDR.
When a PC games mentions gaming in 4k, it's a night and day difference between that and gaming at "4k" on a console. A PC player is talking about maxed out, ultra everything, 60fps or better, at FULL 4K, and not upscaled. Medium range PC's can do 4k at console level quality, 60fps without much problem. While consoles are dropping to 20fps.

44alltheway

Ok so looks like no PS5 event news this week. Do y'all think we get news by this time next week? If not, how does it affect the chances of there being an event in February at all?

You like to quote digital foundry. so why don't you quote their video on star citizen? That you NEED a SSD to properly run that game?

Min 3:00

Is there an open world game with that level of geometry and open space to explore exist on console? That one outlier, is a game like none other, and a poor excuse to try and make your point. If you know anything about Star Citizen, you would know they are like the only developers doing something on a scale like this.

DaGwaphics

So.... Somewhere between 1080 and 1080 ti...on around 200ish watts, including power to the cpu and other components... Please do tell us about this futuristic CPU/GPU architecture that defies the laws of power consumption, and provide efficiency well above 200%, in a small enclosure that can somehow dissipate so much heat. I would love to have a laugh at this.

A 200-250w gpu isn't unheard of, with many available with simple blower coolers. Not sure what your point is. Judging from the PS5 kit and the XSX design, expect these consoles to pull more from the wall than any previous gens. Also, there are 8 core Z2s at 15w (with a small gpu), don't expect the CPU to add much to the power envelope.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Here’s his 1080 performance, like i said fake insider.

boom. He said his source told him 1080 power and Then it magically went up 3 tflops to 1080ti after the ms 12 tflops reveal. how convenient.

Also, the 1080 performs worse than the 5700 non xt model. A 7.9 tflops gpu. So him saying its 10 amd tflops is wrong as well.
relative-performance_1920-1080.png

He was team sub 7.9 tflops. Don't let him forget that.

Oh and i still remember his thread about how pc games like star wars already look next gen and then ms dropped hellblade 2 a few days later. Almost poetic.

HawarMiran

Banned
Is there an open world game with that level of geometry and open space to explore exist on console? That one outlier, is a game like none other, and a poor excuse to try and make your point. If you know anything about Star Citizen, you would know they are like the only developers doing something on a scale like this.
How about you wait and see what developers do with the SSD next-gen? And all that for presumably 500 dollars. Look I have a gaming PC, but I only get exited for a new generation of Consoles. You ask why? Because I get rock hard when I see games like HZD and God of War. I don't give a fuck about how much resolution or fps I can get for a multiplat on my PC. I am excited for the level of execution and polish they give me with Console exclusives. Example of comparable titles. Uncharted 4 and Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider is the little bitch of UC4. Laras animation when she is running in the last game looks like she could be in the paralympics.

A 200-250w gpu isn't unheard of, with many available with simple blower coolers. Not sure what your point is. Judging from the PS5 kit and the XSX design, expect these consoles to pull more from the wall than any previous gens. Also, there are 8 core Z2s at 15w (with a small gpu), don't expect the CPU to add much to the power envelope.
Definitely not unheard of. But can you point me to one that is underclocked and undervolted, that can perform in a 12TF range? Also taking into consideration TDP and powering other components.

How about you wait and see what developers do with the SSD next-gen? And all that for presumably 500 dollars. Look I have a gaming PC, but I only get exited for a new generation of Consoles. You ask why? Because I get rock hard when I see games like HZD and God of War. I don't give a fuck about how much resolution or fps I can get for a multiplat on my PC. I am excited for the level of execution and polish they give me with Console exclusives. Example of comparable titles. Uncharted 4 and Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider is the little bitch of UC4. Laras animation when she is running in the last game looks like she could be in the paralympics.
Well... That was all irrelevant to your claim about the SSD... Seems like the goal posts were completely moved out of the solar system, but I enjoyed the read, I guess?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Definitely not unheard of. But can you point me to one that is underclocked and undervolted, that can perform in a 12TF range? Also taking into consideration TDP and powering other components.
yes. Check Phil spencers Twitter page.i believe his current profile pic has a 405mm2 die which should house 60-70cus at relatively low clocks of 1.45 ghz to hit 12 tflops.

HawarMiran

Banned
Well... That was all irrelevant to your claim about the SSD... Seems like the goal posts were completely moved out of the solar system, but I enjoyed the read, I guess?
You moved it first. First you claim the SSD is not important for PC gaming then when I show you are wrong, you talk about "Is there an open world game with that level of geometry and open space to explore exist on console? " Stupid question when there are no consoles with SSDs yet.

yes. Check Phil spencers Twitter page.i believe his current profile pic has a 405mm2 die which should house 60-70cus at relatively low clocks of 1.45 ghz to hit 12 tflops.
I've seen the picture, but the package size is unconfirmed, further more the package also contains the CPU AND what not. Only time will tell, but as history repeats itself, don't expect much from speculation and rumors. Imagine Sony/MS taking a 300 to 500 dollar loss for each console sold, to perform like a RTX 2080. Sounds like a pipe dream to me.

DaGwaphics

LOL, there is no limit on max power draw, they can pull 500w if desired. There are 1080s in smaller boxes than these consoles (by volume) already on the market. You're making a lot of assumptions. We'll see how it works out when the smoke clears.

Last edited:

Soadi

Man I really, really hope they don't push the reveal to E3 time, can't wait that long you bastards. I need ma fix!

You moved it first. First you claim the SSD is not important for PC gaming then when I show you are wrong, you talk about "Is there an open world game with that level of geometry and open space to explore exist on console? " Stupid question when there are no consoles with SSDs yet.
Stupid response on your part though... You listed a single game, which is the definition of an open world on crack, and try to make it seem like every game NEEDS that. And there are current consoles with SSD's. People have put them into current ps4's. Decreases loading time, but that's about it. In next gen, they will decrease loading times again. Doubt they will be used as a hybrid for system memory, as the lifespan would drop significantly from all the Read/Write iops. And pc's use system memory to cache files from the hdd/ssd. So big difference there.

SlimySnake

I've seen the picture, but the package size is unconfirmed, further more the package also contains the CPU AND what not. Only time will tell, but as history repeats itself, don't expect much from speculation and rumors. Imagine Sony/MS taking a 300 to 500 dollar loss for each console sold, to perform like a RTX 2080. Sounds like a pipe dream to me.
zen 2 cpu is only 70 mm2 of that and they should be using a cut down version of the cpu which should be around 40mm2. Memory controllers, bus etc shouldn't cost more than 30mm2. That leaves 330mm2 for a GPU much bigger than the one we saw in the 250mm2 5700xt.

A 380mm2 chip cost ms $110 in 2013. Even assuming costs have gone up 50%, you are looking at $160 for this big apu. They don't buy the same card you do. They just pay for the silicon.

This time around there is no kinect, they should be able to really push the specs hard which is exactly what we are seeing here.

LOL, there is no limit on max power draw, they can pull 500w if desired. There are 1080s in smaller boxes than these consoles (by volume) already on the market. You're making a lot of assumptions. We'll see how it works out when the smoke clears.
You need a power supply that is capable of providing more than 500watts, for a system to draw 500watts of power. The next gen consoles are rumored to be around 200-250 watts.... Need i say more?

webber

Sounds good for me for a next gen system.

The only potential pitfall I see are devs putting too much emphasis on RT sapping the power and making games play at 30 fps. I hope devs don't go overboard with it. So the more TF the system has, the more buffer power it has for studios going ape shit on RT.

I'd rather have 60 fps at less/zero RT than a bloomy reflecting RT game at 30 fps (or less).
Look, I feel you, but we are talking about "better than PC" (PS5's SSD) parts for next gen.
M$ and Soony aren't screwing around this time around.
I think a HIGHLY customized APU made specifically for games with 8C/16T of Zen 2, ~9.8TF RDNA, SSD and a shiny new RAM is more than enough to handle rasterization at 4k native and 60fps.
Then there is the dedicated RT HW that should be able to do its job and alleviate the performance impact of some ray traced effects.

zen 2 cpu is only 70 mm2 of that and they should be using a cut down version of the cpu which should be around 40mm2. Memory controllers, bus etc shouldn't cost more than 30mm2. That leaves 330mm2 for a GPU much bigger than the one we saw in the 250mm2 5700xt.

A 380mm2 chip cost ms $110 in 2013. Even assuming costs have gone up 50%, you are looking at $160 for this big apu. They don't buy the same card you do. They just pay for the silicon.

This time around there is no kinect, they should be able to really push the specs hard which is exactly what we are seeing here.
A bigger die doesn't mean much if it is power/thermal/frequency limited. You can have a 2080 ti die, and downclock the hell out of it. Will it perform the same as if you fed it the power it requires to reach full performance? Especially paired with more of a laptop chip, than a full fledged desktop cpu? Far from it. Just don't expect 1080 ti performance. That's all I'm saying

HawarMiran

Banned
Stupid response on your part though... You listed a single game, which is the definition of an open world on crack, and try to make it seem like every game NEEDS that. And there are current consoles with SSD's. People have put them into current ps4's. Decreases loading time, but that's about it. In next gen, they will decrease loading times again. Doubt they will be used as a hybrid for system memory, as the lifespan would drop significantly from all the Read/Write iops. And pc's use system memory to cache files from the hdd/ssd. So big difference there.
Are you not understanding what imsaying on purpose? I know you can plug in a damn SSD in your console. You know what I meant by that. Next-gen consoles will have SSDs as a baseline and developers will utilize them. Or do you know any PC that is build ca. 100 mio times?

Last edited:
Are you not understanding what imsaying on purpose? I know you can plug in a damn SSD in your console. You know what I meant by that. Next-gen consoles will have SSDs as a baseline and developers will utilize them.
And they will help gaming on consoles in terms of loading times. Not much more than that. Most gaming pc's have 16gb of memory, PLUS their GPU's vram. So pc's will be loading into system memory, and everything else to the GPU. Consoles will load from the ssd into memory, and stream everything else from the ssd. Unless there is an amazing controller, a SSD with unlimited read/write, consoles will not be using the ssd as system memory. I'm not sure why that is so hard for you to understand. Only loading times will be affected this gen. Less pop in textures on console then the mess that took place this gen. This won't affect pc games in the least bit. Does that make any sense now?

Last edited:
That's why Sony showed that Spider-Man demo because it only affects loading times. So Peter Parker potentially swinging super fast through New York has nothing to do with the SSD. Okay noted
Ok let's play that game. The ps4 used a 5400rpm hdd. Which is 30% shower than a 7200rpm hdd, which is slower than a 10000rpm hdd, which is significantly slower than a 1.5gbps ssd, which is slower than a 3gbps ssd, which is slower than a nvme drive. So yeah, when you use the slowest possible hdd, anything better will have less to no pop in. Wanna try again?

HawarMiran

Banned
Ok let's play that game. The ps4 used a 5400rpm hdd. Which is 30% shower than a 7200rpm hdd, which is slower than a 10000rpm hdd, which is significantly slower than a 1.5gbps ssd, which is slower than a 3gbps ssd, which is slower than a nvme drive. So yeah, when you use the slowest possible hdd, anything better will have less to no pop in. Wanna try again?

You are beyond saving man. Nothing I will try will make you not downplay console gaming.

You are beyond saving man. Nothing I will try will make you not downplay console gaming.
I don't downplay consoles. As matter a fact I want them to be the best hardware possible. You can check my post history where i say this several times. My reasoning is because consoles keep PC gaming from progressing. We went from games like Crysis 1, open world, great visuals, physics, etc. Then the series goes to console, and PC players now get the shit end of the stick. Downgraded visuals, gameplay, corridor gameplay instead of open world, etc. If consoles get better specs, it means pc gaming won't be shafted. With that being said, there are too many Fanboys saying pc will hold consoles back, etc. Not to mention, basic logic will show you how delusional people are to think consoles will have better specs than enthusiast pc hardware. Not gonna happen.

Last edited:

SNPlayen

All I know is Ps4 games impress the hell out of me. Sure PCs are more powerful than any console, but it’s the style of the graphics that matter most. If a base Ps4 can run RDR2 or TLOU2 or GOW or Days Gone etc without blowing up, Ps5 is going to be more than enough

HawarMiran

Banned
I don't downplay consoles. As matter a fact I want them to be the best hardware possible. You can check my post history where i say this several times. My reasoning is because consoles keep PC gaming from progressing. We went from games like Crysis 1, open world, great visuals, physics, etc. Then the series goes to console, and PC players now get the shit end of the stick. Downgraded visuals, gameplay, corridor gameplay instead of open world, etc. If consoles get better specs, it means pc gaming won't be shafted. With that being said, there are too many Fanboys saying pc will hold consoles back, etc.
Brother ofcourse I want a console that costs 1000 dollars or more. but we could be waiting years until we have a large consumer base. Console are not holding back anything. A developer could make a game for 16 cores cpu with and RTX 2080 Ti and 32gb ram or whatever as a baseline but they would probably go bankrupt

Brother ofcourse I want a console that costs 1000 dollars or more. but we could be waiting years until we have a large consumer base. Console are not holding back anything. A developer could make a game for 16 cores cpu with and RTX 2080 Ti and 32gb ram or whatever as a baseline but they would probably go bankrupt
Consoles are holding back every multi release on PC. This won't change until there isn't a huge discrepancy in hardware between the two. This generation will shorten the gap by a good bit, as consoles won't have a Fisher-Price cpu such as the Jaguar. I'm hopeful in that sense, but i can only dream...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom