• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordiemp

tenor.gif

""

Last edited:

benzy

Have you seen his leak on square Enix games ? He has good track record for the games . As for hardware no one knows . So you are half correct.

Any proof of an old leak he did that came true? I can only find his post history goes back only to recent SE postings which can’t be confirmed.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
It just dawned on me that the upcoming generation will be the third gen in a row where Blu-Ray is the storage medium (at least for Sony). Between the fifth, sixth and seventh gen we saw the introduction of CD, followed by DVD and then Blu-Ray. But it seems we’re now stuck with Blu-Ray for the foreseeable future.

I really wish there was a Blu-Ray successor on the horizon, considering how game sizes have exploded this gen. But it‘s not only the size of games (which is somewhat mitigated thanks to BDXL), but also the slow reading speed, which is the main reason why game installations are now a thing on consoles (a trend that started last gen). Imagine if we had some kind of format with capacities in the terabyte range, with reading speeds of several GB/s. It would be like the good old days where you just put in the disc (or cartridge) and play the game.

The general consensus seems to be that there‘s no need for a new storage medium because the rise of streaming platforms makes physical media obsolete. While that seems to be more or less the case with movies and tv shows, due to things like Netflix, I‘m not so sure we‘ll see the same with gaming anytime soon. Others have pointed out that there‘re still many hurdles to overcome before an all-streaming gaming future becomes reality (lag, internet speeds, reliability etc.) And should VR ever become the next big thing, then this might present a further setback for this future, since VR gaming would be even less tolerant of lag than even regular gaming.

Overall, I think the case could be made for the introduction of a new storage medium to succeed Blu-Ray. Is anything like that on the horizon? Have any of the companies even talked about the possibility?

Reactions: TLZ

DaMonsta

I mean, designing a chip whose sweet spot in terms of power vs clocks is in the 8tf range and then having to clock it high because your competition has a console that is 50% more powerful (8 v 12) seems like a cock up; esp given the noise complaints around ps4pro.
But this is a scenario basically created by the internet’s thirstyness for info. 8-9 could have always been Sony’s target.

Lone Wolf

It just dawned on me that the upcoming generation will be the third gen in a row where Blu-Ray is the storage medium (at least for Sony). Between the fifth, sixth and seventh gen we saw the introduction of CD, followed by DVD and then Blu-Ray. But it seems we’re now stuck with Blu-Ray for the foreseeable future.

I really wish there was a Blu-Ray successor on the horizon, considering how game sizes have exploded this gen. But it‘s not only the size of games (which is somewhat mitigated thanks to BDXL), but also the slow reading speed, which is the main reason why game installations are now a thing on consoles (a trend that started last gen). Imagine if we had some kind of format with capacities in the terabyte range, with reading speeds of several GB/s. It would be like the good old days where you just put in the disc (or cartridge) and play the game.

The general consensus seems to be that there‘s no need for a new storage medium because the rise of streaming platforms makes physical media obsolete. While that seems to be more or less the case with movies and tv shows, due to things like Netflix, I‘m not so sure we‘ll see the same with gaming anytime soon. Others have pointed out that there‘re still many hurdles to overcome before an all-streaming gaming future becomes reality (lag, internet speeds, reliability etc.) And should VR ever become the next big thing, then this might present a further setback for this future, since VR gaming would be even less tolerant of lag than even regular gaming.

Overall, I think the case could be made for the introduction of a new storage medium to succeed Blu-Ray. Is anything like that on the horizon? Have any of the companies even talked about the possibility?
The new storage medium is UHD.

ANIMAL1975

But this is a scenario basically created by the internet’s thirstyness for info. 8-9 could have always been Sony’s target.
I really doubt it. Remember that Cerny said that 8tf was the min for native 4k this generation back in 2016. And they would plan ps5 in the same ballpark, with the addition of the demanding RT support!?
Oh, and don't forget the new 3D sound chip, the new PSVR2 (what will be its resolution?), the 8k compatible claim lol!
And that's just the stuff we know about... 8-9tf to me at least, just doesn't compute.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Performance is a weird metric to talk about, I mean... Both look the dame with the same fidelity, but one console may perform better, so... what? Smoother? Faster? What? Either way that would be w kick in the MS nuts because you can’t release your system and have it perform worse than the competition and be the same price or higher.

Im kind of used to the “performs worse” shit, I mean, the X already runs on average at a slower frame rate over the pro. But at least there, the X is pushing a shit load more detail resolution wise, so my brain goes “it’s fine”.

But same details and resolution and worse performance...? I dunno how I would feel then. I already survived the PS4/Xbox one war, at least then it it massive differences in performance AND detail.

There’s still this part of me saying “no damn way ms will cock up the same again” but it seems to be inching closer to that each day.

DaMonsta

I really doubt it. Remember that Cerny said that 8tf was the min for native 4k this generation back in 2016. And they would plan ps5 in the same ballpark, with the addition of the demanding RT support!?
Oh, and don't forget the new 3D sound chip, the new PSVR2 (what will be its resolution?), the 8k compatible claim lol!
And that's just the stuff we know about... 8-9tf to me at least, just doesn't compute.
To be honest I’m not sure either way.

I was just speaking to the fact that I don’t believe Sony’s plans are directly effected by what Microsoft is doing or not.

They will both be average at best within a couple of years. Console gamers fighting over who has the least shit hardware is as sad as it gets. If you have a hard on for good performance you should be playing on PC.

/insider

ZywyPL

Banned

Optical drives can advance only so much, we can easily say they have already hit the wall. A switch back to a digital format like cartridges would be necessary to go back to the plug&play route. But then again, the reason manufacturers opt for optical discs is their production costs, which are close to nothing, especially compared to any other storage media. We could easily switch to for example SD cards, which already exceed BD capabilities by at least a couple of factors, but nobody will want to pay extra to already 60$ games for the extra speed and capacity the SD cards could provide. Besides, digital sales are what, 2/3rd of total sales (if not more)? So it's only a matter of time when the digital distribution completely takes over the market.

ANIMAL1975

To be honest I’m not sure either way.

I was just speaking to the fact that I don’t believe Sony’s plans are directly effected by what Microsoft is doing or not.
Exactly!
This is what really would affect the decision to plan a 9tf or a 12tf machine:
_ Native 4k with next-gen grafics and assets.
_ PSVR2 next resolution.
_ Hardware RT
_ Hardware 3D sound support
_ 8k support (in what way we don't know yet)

Gamernyc78

Banned
Exactly!
This is what really would affect the decision to plan a 9tf or a 12tf machine:
_ Native 4k with next-gen grafics and assets.
_ PSVR2 next resolution.
_ Hardware RT
_ Hardware 3D sound support
_ 8k support (in what way we don't know yet)

Thy Def need tht power for the psvr2 which is a big part of their future focus. I mean last gen we saw them supporting it greatly as a stepping stone, even putting large parts of E3 dedicated to it in the past. Thy are making VR games bc and so on. Sony is all in on VR and I'm sure thy have built the PS5 more powerful thn thy would have to accommodate tht. Thy saw psvr was great but limited and ppl were talking, I'm sure they've listened.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
The new storage medium is UHD.

UHD Blu-Ray doesn‘t look like much of a leap to me, it‘s just an improved version of normal Blu-Ray, isn‘t it? It certainly doesn‘t offer capacities in the terabyte range, nor is the reading speed that much better. I‘m talking about something that offers the same kind of leap as the one from CD to DVD, or from DVD to Blu-Ray.

UHD Blu-Ray doesn‘t look like much of a leap to me, it‘s just an improved version of normal Blu-Ray, isn‘t it? It certainly doesn‘t offer capacities in the terabyte range, nor is the reading speed that much better. I‘m talking about something that offers the same kind of leap as the one from CD to DVD, or from DVD to Blu-Ray.

Game are no longer read off of the discs as you play, even with disc games the game gets loaded onto the hard drive and the disc is only used for verification purposes when you start the game so it's a moot point. UHD can hold up to 100GB of data which should be enough for most games (especially since you have to usually install updates, etc. via the internet anyway), but I do know games now that already go over that limit so I guess on some games we might see mutli-discs? There really isn't anything (affordable) out there that is better than UHD for a cheap storage medium, so that is what we are stuck with. I know HVD exist which go up to 6TB, but the cost of it is not consumer friendly and doesn't work like a traditional blu-ray drive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

Last edited:

Ellery

How could anyone know that the PS5 overheats. Come on ffs.

It is a random ass guess based on seeing the Xbox Series X tower design that looks like it could have good airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom