• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
😂 these stupid „wannabe insiders“ posting such a bullshit. I can’t believe somebody’s is believing this.
People will believe anything unless it's something they don't wanna hear 😏

splattered

Exactly!
This is what really would affect the decision to plan a 9tf or a 12tf machine:
_ Native 4k with next-gen grafics and assets.
_ PSVR2 next resolution.
_ Hardware RT
_ Hardware 3D sound support
_ 8k support (in what way we don't know yet)

I'm not entirely disputing this logic but to be fair, cerny was talking about 8tf of GCN, not 8 or 9tf of NAVI so technically he would still be well above what he back then considered an ideal power and efficiency target allowing Sony to come in native 4k 60fps at a more attractive $400 price point for faster next gen adoption...

Lone Wolf

UHD Blu-Ray doesn‘t look like much of a leap to me, it‘s just an improved version of normal Blu-Ray, isn‘t it? It certainly doesn‘t offer capacities in the terabyte range, nor is the reading speed that much better. I‘m talking about something that offers the same kind of leap as the one from CD to DVD, or from DVD to Blu-Ray.
it has 100 Gig capacity. You are not going to get reading speeds on disc that match running off a SSD. It’s enough to satisfy the upcoming gens needs.

Last edited:

kingkenny76

Um no - you want Bulleit Bourbon Whiskey. Trust!
WHAT!!! Bourbon
source.gif

ethomaz

Banned
They have a grappling hook in previous Halo's? Or they copying Quake again
I don't think they have unless there is some mod in PC that add it.
But it is a popular request in the Halo forums since Halo 4.
Some believes it should be allowed in custom games but others wants to free to player choose what to use.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
I think people are wasting time worrying about GPU power, even if we are talking about 9.5 or 10.5 Tflops GPUs, both systems will have a HUGE improvement on CPU, RAM, and Storage (2GBps minimum).
I can't imagine what Sucker Punch, Insomniac or Naughty Dog can do with a system like that, mainly if they do not wast most of the system power on this dumb native 4K racing, 1440p is just perfect.
9-10TF Navi (12GCN) would be big improvement over PS4 GPU (1.8TF) at 1080p, but at 1440p? I dont think so, and especially at 4K.

Many current gen games with maxed out details (NFS Heat, Detroit etc.) require 1080ti / RTX 2080 just for 1440p 60fps and that's even without RT. So in reality even 12TF is not that much impressive if people want to talk about 1440p, not to mention 4K.

IMO hardware isnt ready for 4K, even 17TF GPU (2080ti OC) is not enough to run CURRENT GEN games at 4K 60fps and maxed out details.

I expect to see 1440p 30fps games on PS5 / XSX (maybe 1600p checkerboarded to 4K). Games that will run at 4K 60fps will look comparable to current gen games. For example Halo infinite. It looks like current gen game just at 4K 60fps.

Last edited:

Ruben43cb

Yes, 4K is very demanding, but if you look at 1440p results in certain games like need for speed heat, RDR2, Detroi

9-10TF Navi (12GCN) would be big improvement over PS4 GPU (1.8TF) at 1080p, but at 1440p? I dont think so, and especially at 4K.

Many current gen games with maxed out details (NFS Heat, Detroit, NFS heat etc.) require 1080ti / RTX 2080 just for 1440p 60fps and that's even without RT. So in reality even 12TF is not that much impressive if people want to talk about 1440p, not to mention 4K.

IMO hardware isnt ready for 4K, even on 17TF GPU (2080ti OC) is not enough to run CURRENT GEN games at 4K 60fps and maxed out details.

I expect to see 1440p 30fps games on PS5 / XSX (maybe 1800p checkerboarded to 4K). Games that will run at 4K 60fps will look comparable to current gen games.
Agreed

If these consoles are 10tf range isnt going to be that amazing. Not a huge leap over one x. They will be dated faster than ever before

Would make more sense to drop that $ on a nice 20tf,+ pc card late 2020

Last edited:

McHuj

Out of curiosity how far in advance do they announce a State of Play? Hypothetically, if they were to have one on the 5th (Wednesday) would it be announced today or Monday?

FERN

I don't think they have unless there is some mod in PC that add it.
But it is a popular request in the Halo forums since Halo 4.
Some believes it should be allowed in custom games but others wants to free to player choose what to use.

Grappling Hook is awesome in Quake. Halo is slow AF so it should speed that game up significantly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Poems, account bets....reminds of the good old floppy days at Gamespot System Wars.

Here's a poem
show something Sony
for this impatient PS crony
the waiting is tedious
I'm feeling rather fledious
see, I'm making up words now
man, I'm shit at poems

It's so much better reading this in Frank's voice from your avatar.

No shit, it's a new console launch.

So insightful!

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Thy Def need tht power for the psvr2 which is a big part of their future focus. I mean last gen we saw them supporting it greatly as a stepping stone, even putting large parts of E3 dedicated to it in the past. Thy are making VR games bc and so on. Sony is all in on VR and I'm sure thy have built the PS5 more powerful thn thy would have to accommodate tht. Thy saw psvr was great but limited and ppl were talking, I'm sure they've listened.
PS4 Pro it's the proof they were listening lol
Better: the way see it, ps4 Pro was planned all along, and it's the proof that ps4 was not enough for PSVR (and the new 4k TVs of course). But that was other times, Sony was coming from the PS3 losses, and ps4 had to be the way it was: priced for the masses and with minimal cost eaten.

I'm not entirely disputing this logic but to be fair, cerny was talking about 8tf of GCN, not 8 or 9tf of NAVI so technically he would still be well above what he back then considered an ideal power and efficiency target allowing Sony to come in native 4k 60fps at a more attractive $400 price point for faster next gen adoption...
Still we all the other factors to consider: hardware RT, and we can see how demanding it is by the Nvidia cards; psvr2 that i think is even bigger factor than RT, because devs can chose not to use RT if their game is too demanding for the hardware; the hardware 3D sound, thats going to eat resources too; and then finally we have the 8k support claim both companies have made, what are they referring to? When first Cerny talked about it, and didn't specify, i thought it was just media support for 8k devices, but after Ms same claim im not so sure.
That's a lot of stuff for a 8-9tf machine to support along with next-gen native 4k _ even if we consider that Cerny was basing is calculation on GCN performance (RDNA is what, ~25% gain in efficiency?) _ we have the example of the performance in 4k, of the 8-9tf Navi cards already on the market, and that's without RT! Only the coming Big Navis will/can support RT. Lots of signs out there to people make educated guess.

Kobi

Agreed

If these consoles are 10tf range isnt going to be that amazing. Not a huge leap over one x. They will be dated faster than ever before

Would make more sense to drop that $ on a nice 20tf,+ pc card late 2020

Even with the likes of checkerboarding and dynamic resolution? True not a native 4k Res, but I didn't think you could see much or any difference?

I'm quite intrigued to see MS's VRS in action. Surely you wouldn't patent something unless it was pretty good?

schaft0620

This is not based on anything I know, just speculation going off of Phil's statements. I think Xbox is going to try and have an E3 like Sonys 2015 or 2016 E3. I think they are going to show everything they can. A lot of their new acquisitions are working in small teams. Like how Ninja Theory is working on 3 games, Compulsion is a team of 40 people, that new game from the Voodoo Vince dev. They are going to drop a lot of AA games to try and get stuff out quickly for the XSX. There should be some Japanese stuff too. I think they have some stuff that they are going to try to drop jaws with.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
PS4 Pro it's the proof they were listening lol
Better: the way see it, ps4 Pro was planned all along, and it's the proof that ps4 was not enough for PSVR (and the new 4k TVs of course). But that was other times, Sony was coming from the PS3 losses, and ps4 had to be the way it was: priced for the masses and with minimal cost eaten.

Still we all the other factors to consider: hardware RT, and we can see how demanding it is by the Nvidia cards; psvr2 that i think is even bigger factor than RT, because devs can chose not to use RT if their game is too demanding for the hardware; the hardware 3D sound, thats going to eat resources too; and then finally we have the 8k support claim both companies have made, what are they referring to? When first Cerny talked about it, and didn't specify, i thought it was just media support for 8k devices, but after Ms same claim im not so sure.
That's a lot of stuff for a 8-9tf machine to support along with next-gen native 4k _ even if we consider that Cerny was basing is calculation on GCN performance (RDNA is what, ~25% gain in efficiency?) _ we have the example of the performance in 4k, of the 8-9tf Navi cards already on the market, and that's without RT! Only the coming Big Navis will/can support RT. Lots of signs out there to people make educated guess.

Yup which is what I am saying thy need power for all tht.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom