• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinthor

Gold Member
So what's more taxing 4k 60 full ray tracing with decent visuals or 1080p 30 path traced with minecraft visuals. Genuine question....

Well to be fair, from what I know at any rate, the Minecraft demo was using full path tracing or basically everything on ray tracing. VERY impressive TECHNICALLY. But from the visual impact perspective, 4k60 or 4k30 with more limited use of RT is more impressive VISUALLY. At least in my opinion.

RT is VERY resource intensive.

Stuart360

For a 30 to 60fps like you claim it was, it sure was laggy at times. And said video can not be found on youtube. There were parts where it was lagging.
It was John from DF that said it was 30-60fps. And it will look laggy when its going between 30-60fps constantly, thats why i never understand when people play 'unlocked' modes in some console games that run at like 40-50fps, because they are always judder city.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Its funny how many people look down on the Minecradt ray tracing, and say stuff like 'lolz 1080p 30fps. (when it was actually 1080p 30-60fps), without realizing that Minecraft RTX is the only game to use 100% path tracing, even Quake 2 RTX doesnt, and is actually the hardest ray traced game so far to run.
Clueless.

I agree with this. I mean sure, people are maybe "looking down" on it a bit because it's Minecraft graphics, etc. but technically, it was SUPER impressive, for sure. It's just hard to understand exactly how impressive without looking into more of what RT actually is and the resources it takes.

icy121

P5MKNpq.png

"At the request of Leyou Technologies Holdings Limited (the “Company”), trading in the shares of the Company on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited has been halted with effect from 9:00 a.m. on 10 July 2020 pending the release of an announcement pursuant to the Hong Kong Code on Takeovers and Mergers which constitutes inside information of the Company."

Someone has made a bid. Either Sony or IDreamSky.

The 'acquisition wars' are getting spicy.

Sinthor

Gold Member
P5MKNpq.png

"At the request of Leyou Technologies Holdings Limited (the “Company”), trading in the shares of the Company on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited has been halted with effect from 9:00 a.m. on 10 July 2020 pending the release of an announcement pursuant to the Hong Kong Code on Takeovers and Mergers which constitutes inside information of the Company."

Someone has made a bid. Either Sony or IDreamSky.

The 'acquisition wars' are getting spicy.

I'm betting Sony won't win this one. CCP is making a big effort at backing other companies they own and consolidating in preparation for a possible all out trade war with the West. I don't see them showing this initial interest and then letting Sony take it from them. But we'll see.

Frankly I think Sony and other should all start to divest from these Chinese government owned companies. Not in their best interest to be supportive of those companies and also puts them in a position to have more IP theft, etc.

ZywyPL

Banned
You’re guessing from the brute force angle. The numbers don’t tell everything and we know PS5 is faster which means it can stream more content and since it is switching content in and out every second it won’t rely on the GPU as much as Xbox.

Bottom line is they’re not comparable in how they operate to draw a straight line.

TBH I don't even know why Sony bothered putting GPU inside the PS5 at all, the HDMI port should go straight into that SSD, because it's so fast the data it streams doesn't even need to be processed.

/s

Why do some people act like the PS5 is made out of some alien technology found by Mark Cerny in the frozen lands of Antarctica, and breakes all the laws known to human kind by the way it operates? Maybe it's because you guys missed the recent PS5 show? If so, here you go:

It was John from DF that said it was 30-60fps. And it will look laggy when its going between 30-60fps constantly, thats why i never understand when people play 'unlocked' modes in some console games that run at like 40-50fps, because they are always judder city.

That's why I put my faith in VRR support, it'll eliminate all the judder and screen-tearing, while the games will play unquestionably better. The big question tho is how many titles will actually allow for unlocked framerate...

bitbydeath

Why do some people act like the PS5 is made out of some alien technology found by Mark Cerny in the frozen lands of Antarctica, and breakes all the laws known to human kind by the way it operates? Maybe it's because you guys missed the recent PS5 show? If so, here you go:

Wasn’t the main takeaway from that showing on a technological perspective that 4K isn’t a problem even for large demanding games like Horizon 2?

Nobodies stating it’s alien tech, they’re just doing things differently to accomplish the same goals and that’s okay!

Sinthor

Gold Member
For a 30 to 60fps like you claim it was, it sure was laggy at times. And said video can not be found on youtube. There were parts where it was lagging.

From the video I saw, it was showing higher than 30fps when the screen and characters weren't moving. Once they started looking around and moving...that quickly went to 30fps and lower. So that's why there was more stuttering visible in the demos and why they also limited how much they showed movement. Which doesn't take away from just how technically impressive the whole thing was running on the XSX in the first place. That was quite a feat!

ZywyPL

Banned
Wasn’t the main takeaway from that showing on a technological perspective that 4K isn’t a problem even for large demanding games like Horizon 2?

Nobodies stating it’s alien tech, they’re just doing things differently to accomplish the same goals and that’s okay!

And how do you know the graphical advancements don't come from the graphical capabilities advancements in the PS5, but the SSD? Streaming data faster doesn't multiply the processing capabilities, if the GPU can draw 10MLN triangles then it can draw 10M no matter if the data comes from HDD, SSD or RAM. Maybe I missed some presentation or article about next-gen consoles, but I'm pretty sure I didn't and you're just making things up...

kensama

Hang on, you originally said...

Which isn't quite accurate, so I gave a list of quotes from this thread where people have suggested exactly that. I'm not going to provide links to each quote because it's not about particular members and people are entitled to their own ideas/speculations. It hasn't, however, been as reasoned and even-handed as you seem to think.

The quotes are real. If you doubt my list you can simply search for any of them.

Anh as i reply some are facts, some are purely troll.
But quoting something oput the context does not prove that what you said is true. And nobody was not to be taken really as bobody. Of course there is som people mentally insane but in regards of this thread and the number of page, 3 comments with this type of assertion are meaningless.
We are far from the Xbox fanboy discord FUD spreading and lies.

RiSA

Neo Member
Is this a joke?. This thread has been the 'unofficial Sony Thread' for months now, no wonder there hasnt been much warring. Just a reminder, its not the Sony thread, its the nextg gen thread, and anyone can discuss.
Isn't GAF the "unofficial Sony forum" to begin with?

Darius87

This scenario you make up doesn't even have any relevance to how games are created. Again, show me a game where it needs to fetch assets so quickly that 5.5 gigs a second isn't quick enough?
Road to PS5 Cerny said you need 5gb/s for loading textures constantly which are behind you. take into account that not only textures you can stream also audio, geometry etc... and texture quality depends on ssd bw.
Even if the game exsisted, it simply require further optimization on the part of the Xbox version.
i don't know how you optimize for lack of streaming speed? unless downgrading textures/assets to manageable size.
The innovation of storage is the fact that both machines have fast SSDs not that one has a faster SSD than the other.
one has more then x2 faster SSD then another that's biggest difference past two generations at any spec that will give new gameplay mechanics only possible for that system so just fast isn't enough.

Sw0pDiller

Some of you guys can't stop talking about raytracing and that it will be more pronounced on de series x. I love the fanatisme don't get me wrong...

But untill I don't need some DF article to tell me that I am looking at ray tracing or just a pretty game I don't care very much about it. Plus at the 4k resolutions the tf advantage of the x is pretty minor.

J_Gamer.exe

What do you mean define things...it can load whatever it wants. So yeah it can load your tetxures.

First you talked about loading assets in the fly and claimed the series X can't do it and would "need to take a taxi" but that's simply not true.

Loading data into ram is faster on ps5. But you will still saturate the pools on both machines within seconds. And the image still has to be processed by the GPU. The swapping of textures is important in creating more lively images with unique aspects. But this notion that 5.5 vs 9 is going to create this massive difference is silly.

This scenario you make up doesn't even have any relevance to how games are created. Again, show me a game where it needs to fetch assets so quickly that 5.5 gigs a second isn't quick enough?

Even if the game exsisted, it simply require further optimization on the part of the Xbox version.

The innovation of storage is the fact that both machines have fast SSDs not that one has a faster SSD than the other.

So let me get this straight. The new narrative seems to be 12>10 (17%) making a big difference according to some and omitting the advantages of a faster clock speed, cache scrubbers etc. Also real factual announced resolutions and framerates being exactly the same is dismissed?

Yet at least 2x (100+%) ssd (and io) advantage doesn't make a big difference now. This is also glossing over the fact the xbox physically doesn't have the hardware Sony deemed essential to eliminate the bottlenecks. So its likely to be even slower. We have had many insider leaks claim ps5 data management is multiples ahead.

PS5 can have more ram in active use because less is needed to be stored. If an actual next gen game is designed from the ground up take advantage of PS5 speed the XSX will have to make cutbacks somewhere, theres no way around that.

How has it eliminated those bottlenecks that would allow its speed to carry through?

Its io is processed on the CPU and this is likely to introduce further latency.

Last edited:

ToadMan

You know that was my first thought on this.

Sony were quiet in the extreme after that UE5 demo - like unnaturally so in the face of the public gushing over it.

I think it took them by surprise as much as anyone else - at least in terms of the positive response to it.

And that prompted Sony to take an interest in the funding Epic were looking for and jump in.

So it’s not Money => demo it’s demo => money.

So let’s see how Epic wow MS next and get the cash really flowing

Last edited:
CCP is making a big effort at backing other companies they own and consolidating in preparation for a possible all out trade war with the West.

I don't know about anyone else here, but China scares the shit out of me. The CCP is ... I hate to say "evil", but it's the best I can come up with. I'm refusing to use things like Zoom, TikTok, Huawei, etc., and you can be damn sure I won't ever be buying a game made by Tencent.

I mean, for fuck's sake, the CCP has threatened the UK against not using Huawei's technology in their 5G services. If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know, I don't know what will.

ToadMan

so EPIC were trying to impress Sony.... same idea

Not according to that tweet.

The purpose of their demo was to impress everyone - which it did.

Sony were impressed enough they invested (a small amount of) cash - but they weren’t the only target.

This is clearly a dismissal of the idea that there was some deal between Epic and Sony leading to the UE5 demo on PS5.

Last edited:

dwish

I can’t wait! Although my wife has to finish it first. I had to hold off starting TLOU2 until GoT releases, so I have something to keep me occupied while I wait for her to finish it.

This is exactly what I want from it!
I won't buy it if it turns out to be an Ubisoft open world game filled with nothing but shitty quests and collectibles.
Really glad to hear that doesn't seem to be the case. Still waiting for reviews though...

And how do you know the graphical advancements don't come from the graphical capabilities advancements in the PS5, but the SSD? Streaming data faster doesn't multiply the processing capabilities, if the GPU can draw 10MLN triangles then it can draw 10M no matter if the data comes from HDD, SSD or RAM. Maybe I missed some presentation or article about next-gen consoles, but I'm pretty sure I didn't and you're just making things up...

And if todays GPUs could perform so much better than they do but are bottlenecked by I/O? I mean, in order to draw those 10M or whatever triangles you need to have the data available in a timely manner.

Redlight

Not according to that tweet.

The purpose of their demo was to impress everyone - which it did.

Sony were impressed enough they invested (a small amount of) cash - but they weren’t the only target.

This is clearly a dismissal of the idea that there was some deal between Epic and Sony leading to the UE5 demo on PS5.

The 250 million means that everything Sweeney said around the UE5 debut has to be seen through a 'marketing deal' lense. All of the language had that tone and that tone was very widely recognised for what it was - two large companies looking out for each other's interests. He'd already said they'd been working together 'for months' on various projects. Somehow he had no idea that the investment was pending or even possible?

Please.

Delpij

This is a semantics play.

Even in extremely fast-paced business environments (e.g. messianic startups like Facebook, where Zuckerberg can purchase Instagram on a whim without board consent), you are going to have a hard time closing such a sizeable deal so fast. Especially in the middle of a multi-faceted, global crisis.
What most likely happened is there were months of negotiation before the presentation, that ultimately led to a technical closing and settlement after the presentation.

FranXico

You know that was my first thought on this.

Sony were quiet in the extreme after that UE5 demo - like unnaturally so in the face of the public gushing over it.

I think it took them by surprise as much as anyone else - at least in terms of the positive response to it.

And that prompted Sony to take an interest in the funding Epic were looking for and jump in.

So it’s not Money => demo it’s demo => money.

So let’s see how Epic wow MS next and get the cash really flowing
Nah. Epic and Sony likely were already in talks. Not that it makes a big difference in the grand scheme of things.

ZywyPL

Banned
And if todays GPUs could perform so much better than they do but are bottlenecked by I/O? I mean, in order to draw those 10M or whatever triangles you need to have the data available in a timely manner.

I think you are forcingly trying to convince yourself and others about that I/O bottleneck, just look at what PCs are doing even with ordinary HDD, all the tech demos with tripple/quad GPU configurations, all the answers are there. I'm not saying that the gaming-oriented SSDs won't be greatly beneficial for the upcoming generation of games, far from it, but I think some people are blowing it hell out of proportion, like they make me question how on earth we were able to play video games at all before the SSDs, like it was absolutely impossible to make a video game before 18 March 2020, like we should just be getting Pong at this point, not some advanced, CGI-like graphics... Now, what if a game won't be a huge open-world title and won't rely on streaming the assets on the fly, and will store everything it needs in RAM (almost tripple the amount compared to previous gen bare in mind), like many games actually do, then what? The I/O subsystem will be completely neglected other than the initial loading.

Redlight

Anh as i reply some are facts, some are purely troll.
But quoting something oput the context does not prove that what you said is true. And nobody was not to be taken really as bobody. Of course there is som people mentally insane but in regards of this thread and the number of page, 3 comments with this type of assertion are meaningless.
We are far from the Xbox fanboy discord FUD spreading and lies.

So, when you said "Nobody say PS5 to outperform XSX." you didn't mean "nobody said it", you meant "of course some people said it, but you didn't give me enough examples of people saying it to prove that people said it."

Let's be realistic, it's a lot more that 3 comments. The simple list I made featured seven different posters (most of them very active) and that was gathered very quickly - there would be hundreds of similar comments in this thread from a bunch of other users.

At least we can agree that the people who did say it are 'mentally insane'. :)

SSfox

I like PS5 architecture much more, even devs keep saying it, with Ed Boon recently, TF are great and cool, and kind of obvious upgrade for each gen, it will improve graphics and cie as usual, but SSD is the real deal in this upcoming gaming gen, and this will change game design, as games are and will always be what matters in the end of the day.

Last edited:

kensama

So, when you said "Nobody say PS5 to outperform XSX." you didn't mean "nobody said it", you meant "of course some people said it, but you didn't give me enough examples of people saying it to prove that people said it."

Let's be realistic, it's a lot more that 3 comments. The simple list I made featured seven different posters (most of them very active) and that was gathered very quickly - there would be hundreds of similar comments in this thread from a bunch of other users.

At least we can agree that the people who did say it are 'mentally insane'. :)

There is a difference between some people (nobody was a bit too much) and put all user of this thread in the same basket.
It could be like i say you have told and spread FUD cause of some retarded guys on discord playing this.
On both side there is some guys mentally insane. But don't justify that someone tells shit claiming everybody thinking taht PS5 will outperform the XSX.
From what we can see here it's just told that PS5 coud equal XSX (on speculation) due to hardware physically optimization and Cerny work to remove all bottlenec by hardware method. OK XSX has more TF, memory bandwidth, more CU but it works as all component work today with physical bottleneck. Cerny has another vision with on the paper less powerful console but with so many hardware improvement and optimization that it could be on par with XSX.

That's simply what is discussed here.

ToadMan

The 250 million means that everything Sweeney said around the UE5 debut has to be seen through a 'marketing deal' lense. All of the language had that tone and that tone was very widely recognised for what it was - two large companies looking out for each other's interests. He'd already said they'd been working together 'for months' on various projects. Somehow he had no idea that the investment was pending or even possible?

Please.

No, because a marketing deal involves monetary value being agreed before the service is performed.

What Sony have done is made an investment. They haven't paid Epic for a service, they have bought stock in Epic which is an asset that Sony now owns.

And as Sweeney said in this post, Sony approached Epic after the UE5 demo, not before.

Last edited:

pasterpl

some people can't count...
may 13 to july 7 = 57 days more then enough time to make big decision.

yes, makes sense, 250M usd exchanging hands, shares going other direction, public companies involved, companies from different countries With different legislations, not mentioning that there is China (tencent) involved in this as well. Yeah sounds like something you can wrap up very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom