• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interfectum

PlayStation ‘is working on a counter-attack to the Xbox Game Pass’, says creator of God of War​

It's going to be increasingly harder to simply 'counter-attack' Game Pass as it continues to grow and gain momentum unless Sony plans go all in like Disney did to counter Netflix. I don't think Sony has the IP nor the will to do that so I'm not sure what this 'counter-attack' will even look like.

It's going to be increasingly harder to simply 'counter-attack' Game Pass as it continues to grow and gain momentum unless Sony plans go all in like Disney did to counter Netflix. I don't think Sony has the IP nor the will to do that so I'm not sure what this 'counter-attack' will even look like.

I always thought their strategy was to focus on games. I don't think they need a gamepass like service to be more successful than the competition.

Nubulax

Yikes... WTF is this shit?

It's like one of those Indian Bollywood action movies, only far less cool because this actually seems to be taking itself seriously.

1. Who the hell asked for ANOTHER TLOU1 rehash? We played the original, and we played the PS4 updated version. Why do we want to see another one on PS5?
  2. Why did this studio (or Jason for that matter) think it would make sense to overspend on a remake project by a brand new unproven team who are also trying to develop their own in-house engine tech?.... I'm not at all surprised Herman Hulst shut it down. Sounds like a disaster in the making.
Moving the project to ND, i.e. a proven team with mature engine and toolchain, was absolutely the right move. They made the original and therefore are better placed to create a faithful remake in TLOU Part 2's engine (therefore keeping visual consistency with the sequel).

Read the fucking article, Nibel!

This, is not news. This is a narrative that Jason Schrier is pushing, based on a collection of tenuous facts taken out of context, i.e. this Visual Arts team that picked the wrong project to remake and projected an unreasonable budget for it, alongside the Japan Studio reorg---which has been coming for a while, as outside of PD and Asobi Studio (which are both untouched), Japan Studio has been underdelivering since the PS1/2 era (they've been primarily a support studio working with 3rd Jap devs on PSP and Vita games, hence why Gavin Moore moved out there to sort them out).

Jason's whole article is poor written, imho. He should have simply stuck to the Visual Arts studio team story and avoided editorialising it by using the story to push some contrived narrative about Sony investing only in AAA blockbuster games. Many of the games shown since the PS5 reveal clearly expose this narrative as pure fantasy.

The issues with the VA team are obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense. Sony spending an inordinate amount on a remake of one of their most successful titles, by a newly formed no-name (and no experience) studio? Doesn't make any commercial sense. Sony moving the development to ND is not Sony being risk-averse, it's Sony being sensible.

Brand new studio takes beloved franchise and runs it into the ground is a story this industry is intimately familiar with... ***cough***ME Andromeda***cough***

There's a reason popular successful studios like GG, ND and Insomniac have become so popular and successful, and thus heavily relied upon by Sony. And it's because they don't waste resources on a small team remaking a project that nobody asked for on a budget that far exceeds that of previous publisher remakes---which one would assume includes BluePoint Games' works like Demon's Souls. The team should have either re-scoped their project to something more reasonable, or chosen a different game.

I mean, PS gamers would have been WAAAAY more interested in a team working on a new remake of something like G-Police or Colony Wars... (or even Warhawk), than TLOU. They should have picked something more appropriate.
They need to remake Colony Wars...was one of the very first games I played on Playstation and would be awesome with PS5 tech

Last edited:

Interfectum

I always thought their strategy was to focus on games. I don't think they need a gamepass like service to be more successful than the competition.
They should counter attack with games but I have a feeling we are talking service level counter attack here.

Maybe a download service that lets you download PS1-3 games would be a pretty big deal?

DaGwaphics

They don't need it, but they probably just started looking at the math and thinking Oh shit. The Sub model potentially = more money and very steady earnings. Both companies are making these moves for themselves more so than to compete with the other. If you don't mind not permanently owning the games, it's the gamers that win here.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

It's like one of those Indian Bollywood action movies, only far less cool because this actually seems to be taking itself seriously.
This was like 20 years ago so my memory is a bit hazy but i recall reading how Kojima handpicked an anime director to redo the cutscenes to be more action packed. He basically didnt want the game to be a carbon copy of the original, and wanted to do something different. Redoing cutscenes was far easier than changing the game layout.

Interfectum

It's difficult to have a download service for those games unless the PS5 becomes BC with those platforms. I don't have any hope of BC extending past the PS4.
Maybe that is the big surprise though, right? Everyone is assuming Sony is killing it's legacy and then boom, here are all those games available again. Sony turned it's back on BC because there was no real way to make residual income from it so why waste resources on it. But with a subscription service they could make bank especially if they got Master Cerny to get PS3 games to work on it.

LiquidRex

Who asked for this? Is a remaster on PS4 not enough?
I'm concerned with MGS Legacy, could they actually just be resolution and FPS upgrades nothing new or visually stunning. 🤦‍♂️

Do people really want a Gamecube Twin Snakes UHD edition on PS5?

Just waiting on official confirmation now, and not expecting too much.

So apparently ElAnalistadeBits isn't allowed here.

EviLore EviLore I wasn't sure where to put this but I would like to know what led to this decision. Just curious about that's all.

Thank you for taking a look at this.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

So apparently ElAnalistadeBits isn't allowed here.

EviLore EviLore I wasn't sure where to put this but I would like to know what led to this decision. Just curious about that's all.

Thank you for taking a look at this.
The mods are saying the channel regularly gets things wrong and isn't a trustworthy source.

1. Who the hell asked for ANOTHER TLOU1 rehash? We played the original, and we played the PS4 updated version. Why do we want to see another one on PS5?
  2. Why did this studio (or Jason for that matter) think it would make sense to overspend on a remake project by a brand new unproven team who are also trying to develop their own in-house engine tech?.... I'm not at all surprised Herman Hulst shut it down. Sounds like a disaster in the making.
Moving the project to ND, i.e. a proven team with mature engine and toolchain, was absolutely the right move. They made the original and therefore are better placed to create a faithful remake in TLOU Part 2's engine (therefore keeping visual consistency with the sequel).

This, is not news. This is a narrative that Jason Schrier is pushing, based on a collection of tenuous facts taken out of context, i.e. this Visual Arts team that picked the wrong project to remake and projected an unreasonable budget for it, alongside the Japan Studio reorg---which has been coming for a while, as outside of PD and Asobi Studio (which are both untouched), Japan Studio has been underdelivering since the PS1/2 era (they've been primarily a support studio working with 3rd Jap devs on PSP and Vita games, hence why Gavin Moore moved out there to sort them out).

Jason's whole article is poor written, imho. He should have simply stuck to the Visual Arts studio team story and avoided editorialising it by using the story to push some contrived narrative about Sony investing only in AAA blockbuster games. Many of the games shown since the PS5 reveal clearly expose this narrative as pure fantasy.

The issues with the VA team are obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense. Sony spending an inordinate amount on a remake of one of their most successful titles, by a newly formed no-name (and no experience) studio? Doesn't make any commercial sense. Sony moving the development to ND is not Sony being risk-averse, it's Sony being sensible.

Brand new studio takes beloved franchise and runs it into the ground is a story this industry is intimately familiar with... ***cough***ME Andromeda***cough***

There's a reason popular successful studios like GG, ND and Insomniac have become so popular and successful, and thus heavily relied upon by Sony. And it's because they don't waste resources on a small team remaking a project that nobody asked for on a budget that far exceeds that of previous publisher remakes---which one would assume includes BluePoint Games' works like Demon's Souls. The team should have either re-scoped their project to something more reasonable, or chosen a different game.

I mean, PS gamers would have been WAAAAY more interested in a team working on a new remake of something like G-Police or Colony Wars... (or even Warhawk), than TLOU. They should have picked something more appropriate.

Right?

Now let me go back watch the Snake VS Wolf scene in the original OG game to purify my soul and clean my eyes.

The best scene ever made mouhahaha

Last edited:
Last edited:

Jim Ryan is a bad CEO and it seem like Herman Hulst isn't far behind, but this report seems like a case of hurt feelings.

A team lead wanted to prove himself so he pooled a bunch of devs together to take on a provisional project, and got upset when it got pulled/relocated to a proven studio? (Even though they chose to work for a studio where its main focus is supporting larger studios/projects).

Days Gone got average reviews, didn't sell well, and Sont won't fund a sequel? (But they get to make a new IP)

Publicly traded company invests its money in studios that generate the most revenue?

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

So this also confirms we'll be getting TLOU Remake, TLOU multiplayer, a new Uncharted, and a new IP from Bend.

SlimySnake

A1puBIg.jpg

Uhhh yeahhh.... Not good. At all.
SlimySnake SlimySnake TheThreadsThatBindUs TheThreadsThatBindUs
People always tell me that this is just forum drama. A bunch of nerds bitching about exclusives in online message forums dont matter. But they forget about the kinect, used game and always online fiascos that cost Microsoft an entire generation.

Hardcore forums like gaf and now era set trends that end up going viral on reddit and twitter. gaming is bigger than ever and social media amplifies trends more than ever. Look at what snydercut fans did.

icy121

People always tell me that this is just forum drama. A bunch of nerds bitching about exclusives in online message forums dont matter. But they forget about the kinect, used game and always online fiascos that cost Microsoft an entire generation.

Hardcore forums like gaf and now era set trends that end up going viral on reddit and twitter. gaming is bigger than ever and social media amplifies trends more than ever. Look at what snydercut fans did.
This isnt nearly as bad as the Kinect fiasco IMO, but it's clear as day a large swath of Playstation gamers hate Jim Ryan. He needs to say something soon cause a lot of fans are getting incredibly anxious. As does Herman Hulst.

SlimySnake

Demon's Souls and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart both offer 30 and 60 fps options.
Only because both games targeted native 4k 30 fps. They both essentially made a game for a 5 tflops GPU and wasted half of it on rendering pixels.

When we get to real next gen games, Devs will focus on 1440p 30 fps like the UE5 demo instead of 1440p 60 fps like DS and ratchet.

ToadMan

It's only bit that I could remember, you are free to show tweets or articles supporting your claims.

A search is too hard for you?

I’ll bet you’re someone who needs to subscribe to a service so other people choose your games for you too ...

Sorry man, no free lunches - you should take the same policy when defending people like Grubb...

ToadMan

But new uncharted game yay

I’m just about at the end of Days gone.

There’s no need for No 2. This game covered it all - in fact I think it was way too long.

Yes fun to play but they need to learn from Tsushima - keep it focused and leave the audience wanting more. This was the opposite of that - at this point (about 20
Mins from the end of the story - yes really) I’ve had my fun with this world and these characters and I don’t want more.

Oh and to put this in context - I love bikes and have a HD, Ducati and BMW and for media I enjoyed the first season or two of SoA but beyond that endured it.

The only reason I have seen Days Gone through is because I love biking. Soooo yeah. This game doesn’t need a sequel right now and maybe never. IMO neither does TLOU. The zombie stuff is done and dusted for a good few years.

MastaKiiLA

The hysteria on these forums means fuck all for the rest of the world. Forums don't set trends for the mass market, the same way gaming news doesn't mean shit, and just feeds a small portion of the base. I hardly read the forum anymore, and totally ignore gaming news, since there haven't been any big announcements. I see people losing their shit over a baseball game, and Game Pass, yet the PS5 continues to sell out.

It's like when I was younger. You had gaming forums and usenet, and you have EGM, Nintendo Power, and other mags. However, most people who buy a console don't read any of that shit. The majority of people scooping up FIFA and COD in droves don't follow online trends. They're not hardcore gamers. A pretty lady in a small country will garner more followers than a gaming "insider" on Twitter. That's always been the reality of the situation. Discussing games online is for nerds. Most people aren't nerds. What goes down here has little relevance to the rest of the world. I've gotten much more casual about gaming as I've gotten older.

Neo Blaster

Only because both games targeted native 4k 30 fps. They both essentially made a game for a 5 tflops GPU and wasted half of it on rendering pixels.

When we get to real next gen games, Devs will focus on 1440p 30 fps like the UE5 demo instead of 1440p 60 fps like DS and ratchet.
Didn't Epic already say they could run that demo at 60fps by lowering polygon count just a little bit?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The hysteria on these forums means fuck all for the rest of the world. Forums don't set trends for the mass market, the same way gaming news doesn't mean shit, and just feeds a small portion of the base. I hardly read the forum anymore, and totally ignore gaming news, since there haven't been any big announcements. I see people losing their shit over a baseball game, and Game Pass, yet the PS5 continues to sell out.

It's like when I was younger. You had gaming forums and usenet, and you have EGM, Nintendo Power, and other mags. However, most people who buy a console don't read any of that shit. The majority of people scooping up FIFA and COD in droves don't follow online trends. They're not hardcore gamers. A pretty lady in a small country will garner more followers than a gaming "insider" on Twitter. That's always been the reality of the situation. Discussing games online is for nerds. Most people aren't nerds. What goes down here has little relevance to the rest of the world. I've gotten much more casual about gaming as I've gotten older.
you said all that and ignored everything i said about how the forum hysteria over used games, kinect and always online killed kinect.

For game storage Sony dont need Azure. For cloud... who playing games on cloud?
The most important thing is to bring GOOD games not how bring old games. I see that gamers start to forgot that and start thinking like MS, many games, low prices, everywhere.
You're telling me that Sony doesn't have a breadth of amazing classics? Also, the Japanese are playing games on Cell Phones and Handhelds, not consoles. From what current trends are reporting, Sony needs to win them back as well which would be a fairly large market. Secondly, Sony and Microsoft to explore strategic partnership - Stories, this includes cloud-based gaming solutions.

Last edited:

Hashi

You're telling me that Sony doesn't have a breadth of amazing classics? Also, the Japanese are playing games on Cell Phones and Handhelds, not consoles. From what current trends are reporting, Sony needs to win them back as well which would be a fairly large market. Secondly, Sony and Microsoft to explore strategic partnership - Stories, this includes cloud-based gaming solutions.
I know that partnership, but for now it doesnt mean nothing. At now Sony has Cloud based video production solution for professionals, sensors with build-in AI block that can be connected to cloud and PS Now running on unknow servers and technology/patents form Gaikai. Thats all I know.

This is crazy.

Considering the "Sony is focusing on..." part of Jason's story is purely conjecture and hearsay, as well as the fact that Sony will have a number of First and Third Party developed-Sony published games still unannounced, I'm not sure this qualifies as a fun "Fact" at all...

...unless we're really stretching the definition of a fact now.

Which will most likely be on Azure servers, which is a win for Microsoft either way.
Game streaming will run on PS5/4 hardware, so clearly not possible to run on MS's general azure data-centre platform.

And game downloads will still use the current AWS backend that PSN is currently built on. As far as I know, despite the deal and announcement, there currently isn't anything Playstation-related at Sony that runs on Azure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom