• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not as horrible as XBox Series X and XBox One X such messy branding
Do you guys have to turn everything into a console war? Lol goddamn. All he said is that he doesn’t like the name of a single video game that happens to be a PS5 excl- oh

You two need to calm down. Someone could interpret both of your comments as console warring.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not sure if posted already. Leaked Watch Dogs Legion screenshots

There are more there:

Football Hooligan :lollipop_tears_of_joy: That's a MUST in my clan!

XraE3wz.jpg

TQXUDs3.jpg

CHxsiYw.jpg

SaucyJack

WB owns the IPs, WB Games does not, this would just be buying the studio, the people, not the IPs...

It's worse than that WB only owns the DC Comics ip that they license to WBIE. This would be retained by WB.

WB further licenses LEGO, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Mad Max from their respective owners.

I believe WBIE owns Mortal Kombat along with the other Midway ips, most of which are dead.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Question: Both next-gen consoles will have VRR, can I assume that it's system wide and every single game will profit from it?
VRR is one of the few things I have not seen myself yet irl.

I think VRR will be more useful to PC players who connect their setups to TVs. Don't see it having a big impact on consoles, for the foreseeable future. Screen tearing hasn't been a problem since the PS2 days.

Once it becomes widespread though, developers will have a lot more leeway with framerate targets.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
I think VRR will be more useful to PC players who connect their setups to TVs. Don't see it having a big impact on consoles, for the foreseeable future. Screen tearing hasn't been a problem since the PS2 days.

Once it becomes widespread though, developers will have a lot more leeway with framerate targets.
But it's not just about screen tearing right? It's also/more so about living without noticeable framedrops...

Imtjnotu

Screen tearing was a big issue this gen especially on Xbox one.

Any TV with hdmi 2.1 will take advantage and even the one X used vrr.

It will be used pretty much on every game I feel

Thirty7ven

Banned
But it's not just about screen tearing right? It's also/more so about living without noticeable framedrops...

Screen tearing. It might help with input lag too.

If unlocked framerate modes become the norm, then it's a pretty big deal because you will be playing a game at 45 to 50 FPS with no screen tearing and an improvement in input lag.

Screen tearing was a big issue this gen especially on Xbox one.

Any TV with hdmi 2.1 will take advantage and even the one X used vrr.

It will be used pretty much on every game I feel

I didn't notice it at all this gen(PS4).

Well for VRR to have an impact devs need to allow uncapped framerate. Let's see if it becomes standard.

ArcaneNLSC

Do you guys have to turn everything into a console war? Lol goddamn. All he said is that he doesn’t like the name of a single video game that happens to be a PS5 excl- oh

Sorry it wasn't meant to be a console war thing I just meant the branding was bad and can be confusing for say for parents or grandparents who might accidentally pick up the wrong console its kind of the Mr Burns ketchup catsup scenario.

I mean even Xbox executive Major Nelson got the consoles name wrong from memory a few months back in a tweet.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Screen tearing. It might help with input lag too.

If unlocked framerate modes become the norm, then it's a pretty big deal because you will be playing a game at 45 to 50 FPS with no screen tearing and an improvement in input lag.

I didn't notice it at all this gen(PS4).

Well for VRR to have an impact devs need to allow uncapped framerate. Let's see if it becomes standard.

GOW and many games on PS4 Pro have unlocked framerates. HDMI 2.1 should enhance the experience, but HDMI 2.0 4K HDR should be just fine if someone doesn't have enough money to spare for a new tv.

Great Hair

Banned
Those guys try too hard to neglect the extremely customized HW in the PS5 and slap a generic prediction from off the shelf PC parts. He needs a Tim Sweeney treat.

To be fair, he used a 5600XT and just 8GB in Single Channel mode. His Smartshift video is better, more interesting.

mancs

My thoughts on next gen gaming , ..
sony returned the ball with a slightly better angle and speed at first Xbox showings service , of no GamePlay
.. , now we await the return ball off Microsoft later this month , and expect it too impress...., But I must think , that Sony knows this attack, and smash tactic, So ,must be saving the best till next smash back ,psvr2 , exclusive titles , etc.
The game is in play.#resolutiongatept2 grab the strawberries and cream. The umpire will see whom wins out , hopefully gamers.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's a title and a subtitle, Horizon: Forbidden West, like Horizon: Zero Dawn. But many just skip those ":".
Still. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Horizon Zero Dawn already sounded like three random words thrown together, but at least it sounds cool. No game title should be 7 syllables.

Last edited:

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
PS5, Xbox Series X GPUs Will Be Great for Some Devs, But “The Majority” Won’t Use It to Its Fullest, Says Developer

Speaking to GamingBolt in a recent interview, Kavan said that though the faster hardware of both consoles is something that some big AAA studios – such as Naughty Dog, for instance – will make use of, the majority of the developers in the industry probably won’t be pushing the hardware to its limits in that manner.

“Outside of AAA, not much,” he said, when asked about how much impact he thinks the PS5 and Xbox Series X’s faster GPUs will have on development. “Watching the reveals, I didn’t even see that many games utilizing resources we already have now. So there will be a few boundary pushing companies, like for example Naughty Dog, but the majority will have just a comfort of very fast systems.”

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
PS5, Xbox Series X GPUs Will Be Great for Some Devs, But “The Majority” Won’t Use It to Its Fullest, Says Developer

Speaking to GamingBolt in a recent interview, Kavan said that though the faster hardware of both consoles is something that some big AAA studios – such as Naughty Dog, for instance – will make use of, the majority of the developers in the industry probably won’t be pushing the hardware to its limits in that manner.

“Outside of AAA, not much,” he said, when asked about how much impact he thinks the PS5 and Xbox Series X’s faster GPUs will have on development. “Watching the reveals, I didn’t even see that many games utilizing resources we already have now. So there will be a few boundary pushing companies, like for example Naughty Dog, but the majority will have just a comfort of very fast systems.”

They must have been talking to Ubisoft.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Sounds like a generic dev.

SSfox

I don't think this should be look too deep, the usual lazy devs will keep being lazy, while the usual passionate devs will keep doing what they usually do. Nothing really new here tbh.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
id Software Is Hiring For Next-Generation Installments

“id Software is looking for a Senior Rendering (Graphics) Programmer to join our team and work on legendary id games for PC and next-generation console systems. If you are passionate about rendering and want to help define, create and deliver the industries best visuals at 60+hz then this may be the position for you”

“We haven’t talked about it yet but one of the exciting things is we’re at the end of this console cycle, where our team knows this tech really, really well. So it really allowed us to push and get the most out of this hardware. And I’m super excited about what it means for the next hardware. So we haven’t announced anything, but it’s really exciting. They’re doing some really awesome stuff with that hardware so I think it’s logical that we would push onto that and honestly try to be one of the best games on that platform as well.”

I was especially looking forward to seeing what these guys were working on, but oh well. Understandable.

Link to his article:

You gotta give them time, the first quadruple A studio in the world can't just show us a game without warning. Our minds are not yet prepared for the pure awesomeness they will show. It's for our own good, really :messenger_sunglasses:

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
You gotta give them time, the first quadruple A studio in the world can't just show us a game without warning. Our minds are not yet prepared for the pure awesomeness they will show. It's for our own good, really :messenger_sunglasses:
No reason to be salty, you'll be able to play it on PC.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think what he means is that you just need big teams to fully utilize these systems. You need more assets, and they can be much more rich and detailed. That means you need to put more time in them, and all of that together means more people and more money.

I understand that, but that doesn't sound like a necessity. 2 guys made Kena look like a Pixar movie already, and with Quixel megascans you have thousands of assets for free in UE4/5 and you can manipulate those to make something completely unique. Those megascans are going to grow more and more, and have it exclusive to PS5 and you'll get access to even bigger company that's Sony Pictures Imageworks. According to the artistic language here (pretty identical to Kena) I can see that they actually used Sony's expertise in return to their timed exclusivity for Kena:

Indies will shine next gen, and they don't spoil the money of big budget projects and usually use their money wisely.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I understand that, but that doesn't sound like a necessity. 2 guys made Kena look like a Pixar movie already, and with Quixel megascans you have thousands of assets for free in UE4/5 and you can manipulate those to make something completely unique. Those megascans are going to grow more and more, and have it exclusive to PS5 and you'll get access to even bigger company that's Sony Pictures Imageworks. According to the artistic signature here I can see that they actually used Sony's expertise in return to their timed exclusivity for Kena:

Indies will shine next gen, and they don't spoil the money of big budget projects and usually use their money wisely.

Loved the bit with the snail, my kind of humour.

GreyHand23

I understand that, but that doesn't sound like a necessity. 2 guys made Kena look like a Pixar movie already, and with Quixel megascans you have thousands of assets for free in UE4/5 and you can manipulate those to make something completely unique. Those megascans are going to grow more and more, and have it exclusive to PS5 and you'll get access to even bigger company that's Sony Pictures Imageworks. According to the artistic signature here I can see that they actually used Sony's expertise in return to their timed exclusivity for Kena:

Not that I totally disagree, but this studio has at least 33 employees and they've been doing visual production for movies since 2009, so this isn't a normal indie studio.

3liteDragon

He's using a 5600xt (MSI OC version to be specific) - that's not the right base card to use for this imo.

I'm not sure about his method either but maybe I'm misunderstanding it.
Imo, using any card with the current architecture (RDNA 1) to see how cards with future architectures (RDNA 2) perform is a dumb thing to do. Reminds me of that one video from DF where Richard uses an overclocked RDNA 1 GPU to see how PS5’s GPU will perform while being clocked at 2.23GHz on the RDNA 2 architecture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom