• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not PAY TO DO THIS, and I can see how exactly IT CANNOT BE SCREENSPACE reflection in one second...

I'm done for today 😂 Dictator made me lose it...

Just curious, why can't this be SSR? It's the one part of the reflection which doesn't make sense to me. What part is that supposed to be in the image above the puddle?

Sorry but I disagree with this. He didn't say it was SSR or RT, just passed comment on it could be either, as the low angle and DoF made it easier for it to be SSR. Can you highlight to me what part of this image indicates it is clearly not SSR? I've looked, and I don't see it.
Explanation is plain and simple, whatever behind his body is reflecting on the puddle just down below which is strictly impossible in SSR, if you can not see it that is not my problem or job but seeing this image pointblank with any kind of knowledge in the field can only result in announcing RT reflection.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Just curious, why can't this be SSR? It's the one part of the reflection which doesn't make sense to me. What part is that supposed to be in the image above the puddle?
Basically if it were SSR it couldn't have shown something behind Spidey hidden by his body.
SSR is basicaly a mirror of what you render on screen if it is not on screen in can't be shown in SSR.
For those that have trouble understanding imagine being in a corridor with a mirror then there's a 90° corridor perpendicular to were you are.
A mirror placed correctly can show you what is in the other corridor with ray tracing but not with SSR.
That was an oversimplification but you get the gist of it.

Explanation is plain and simple, whatever behind his body is reflecting on the puddle just down below which is strictly impossible in SSR, if you can not see it that is not my problem or job but seeing this image pointblank with any kind of knowledge in the field can only result in announcing RT reflection.
Given the low angle of the camera, nothing that is hidden behind his body should be reflected in the puddle anyways. Which was the point Dick was trying to made (and I agree with).

Basically if it were SSR it couldn't have shown something behind Spidey hidden by his body.
SSR is basicaly a mirror of what you render on screen if it is not on screen in can't be shown in SSR.
For those that have trouble understanding imagine being in a corridor with a mirror then there's a 90° corridor perpendicular to were you are.
A mirror placed correctly can show you what is in the other corridor with ray tracing but not with SSR.
That was an oversimplification but you get the gist of it.

I know what SSR is. I guess the question remains, what part of the original image (location, even if behind the body) is supposed to be reflected part highlighted by Jose4gg

Given the low angle of the camera, nothing that is hidden behind his body should be reflected in the puddle anyways. Which was the point Dick was trying to made (and I agree with).
No. As can be clearly seen, low angle doesn't stop ray casting, it only stops screen space solutions, so if there is reflection and THERE IS then it is Ray Traced! And there should be reflection of stuff culled or back blocked behind him (not hidden) right on that body of water just in front of him in the game world space. And what is more, this shot is to SHOWCASE RT reflections, selected for this reason, there is a puddle and reflection on it just toe SHOWCASE RT!

"Shut the fuck up" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Everyone is a dev these days. Wonderful times!

GDumk2Q.png

Even the devs can be fanboys, this guy is just a fanboy who looks like is just following the tutorial of Cherno or something to make his 2d engine.

Update: I was checking his twitter profile, is not fanboy is just a hater, I am found funny how he believe is a XSX dev.

Last edited:

FranXico

SSR emulates reflections by mirroring objects that were already rendered on screen.
In this screenshot, you can see reflections of objects that are obfuscated, from behind his legs. Reflections of objects that could not be rendered on screen cannot be SSR. The screenshot angle was chosen precisely to show off RT. Alex is either missing details or being dishonest.

Last edited:

This is the kind of thing i hate Alex usually do, boy you are none in the industry for God sake.

Sometime him just say things as if was true, like PS5 doesn't has RT by hardware, then Sony
confirm the opposite but Alex never say anything is like:

"I am journalist professional my world is the law, I demand respect to my person, none can say I am wrong not even the game devs"

Last edited:
No. As can be clearly seen, low angle doesn't stop ray casting, it only stops screen space solutions, so if there is reflection and THERE IS then it is Ray Traced!
This is wrong. SSR works fine at low angle. In fact it works best this way as all items to be reflected are present in the original image. When the angle is too steep and areas of the original image that should be reflected are not present, that's one way SSR breaks down.

What is it with Spider-Man games and fucking puddles?
This is Insomniac Studio having fun actually, trolling then and doing the same now. There was no Puddlegate, it was artistic choice to remove water only in that segment. Now they throw in puddles to showcase their RT solution and troll the trollers before they come up with it, preempting their Memes.

FranXico

This is wrong. SSR works fine at low angle. In fact it works best this way as all items to be reflected are present in the original image. When the angle is too steep and areas of the original image that should be reflected are not present, that's one way SSR breaks down.
No, not all objects in the puddle are present in the screen. There are reflections of objects that are behind Spiderman.

SSR emulates reflections by mirroring objects that were already rendered on screen.
In this screenshot, you can see reflections of objects that are obfuscated, from behind his legs. Reflections of objects that could not be rendered on screen cannot be SSR. The screenshot angle was chosen precisely to show off RT. Alex is either missing details or being dishonest.

Yes, I understand SSR. And I agree the reflected part Joe4gg highlighted isn't the same as the part above (which SSR would be normally, unless there is a problem). However, it also doesn't look correct to me for RT. A camera angle low to the ground should only reflect images also at low angle to the puddle. I don't understand where that part is coming from.

Handy Fake

Yes, I understand SSR. And I agree the reflected part Joe4gg highlighted isn't the same as the part above (which SSR would be normally, unless there is a problem). However, it also doesn't look correct to me for RT. A camera angle low to the ground should only reflect images also at low angle to the puddle. I don't understand where that part is coming from.
It's because of the shot perspective. The puddle travels further back than you realise. If you look it's just about reflecting the underside of his shin.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It just reflect at the same angle but since the building reflected is far then a higher part of the building is reflected but I do agree that the persepctive can be confusing.

FranXico

If you try to ray-trace in limited amounts (I doubt this game will use full path tracing), you can generate reflection artifacts on diffuse surfaces.

Last edited:

So are the puddles ray traced or not?

I really want to know if Insomniac is telling the truth here.

Last edited:

zaitsu

Banned
:messenger_smirking:
PS4:

hLNGRYS.jpg

MmwfuRY.jpg

PS5:

xUUf7LP.jpg

Don't need 'experts' to tell you what a big leap in graphics Spiderman MM on PS5 is over Spiderman on PS4 when you can see it for yourself.
So first thing when i saw it : cool they hinting RT puddles.

When i saw dictator tweet... Like guys i am MD and i still know when i see RT reflection and im pretty sure Alex should too. Its straight MS shilling right now. I know xbox marketing is bad right now but common DF have some fuckin dignity. Its disgusting at the moment !

I meant low angle as the placement of viewpoint closer to the ground, not viewpoint angle to the horizon as in looking directly ahead or slightly above or below instead of looking up or down on something at greater angle. Maybe should have said low placed camera. This shot is selected because there is ground in front of him that has puddles that reflects what is blocked behind him and this can only be done with RT.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
:messenger_smirking:

So first thing when i saw it : cool they hinting RT puddles.

When i saw dictator tweet... Like guys i am MD and i still know when i see RT reflection and im pretty sure Alex should too. Its straight MS shilling right now. I know xbox marketing is bad right now but common DF have some fuckin dignity. Its disgusting at the moment !
It really ironic (moronic) that someonewhom consider ray tracing to be the all and be all of graphics to not being able to spot it when most untrained eyes can.
He is either incompetent or so biased that I don't think he has any credibility left.

I have to agree with D dark10x on people going mental about these machines. Some dudes just need to chill.
The people lost their mind with everything, CoVID is another big example.
I thought there was a video of DF already saying that SM had RT? Didn't they do an entire video on PS5 and RT?
He was not sure, Alex love say something logical where its professional side appears and then be again the PC fanboy with airs
of greatness to say something stupid or wrong a never withdraw his words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom