• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Dusk Golem has said that he did come out with that info to try and even out the playfield after the recent Sony and MS news, because he felt bad for the Xbox fanbase. He felt things were too one sided". He mentioned this both on Ree and his tweet. LOL at "console warring is stupid" but let me balance the ship in favor of the poor xfans with my FUD take :messenger_tears_of_joy:

uhsCQtx.png
Dusk trying to be Anakin and restoring balance to the force, sadly he ended up joining the Sith... You can’t make this shit up.

saintjules

I traveled to the dark side and I come bearing screenshots!

These are all from the thread about Dusk Golem's "ps5 struggling" tweets.

Admittedly I have no idea who this is but figured I share it since he's verified. No one pushed back against this either:
HgAkuh3.jpg

B62Wctl.jpg

And some comments from Matt as well:

QO0DQ7h.jpg

TTTMijM.jpg

A4K1qnL.jpg

03PoEY5.jpg

Lmfaoo they never learn:

heQoDzx.jpg

Good ol' Matt doing the Lord's work.

There's a lot of Brain measuring contests going on over on that side. It all means nothing once the Consoles are in our hands. I mean, how many people are gonna be like, "oooh, there's a 10% increase in power usage when playing Miles Morales." So much PC/Spec talk - can't do shit about it.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard any rumors that the Series S might be a handheld/"Xbox Switch"?

I'm not gonna lie, every time I think of that, I like the idea a whole lot more than an underpowered baby version of the Series X, or a streaming box (like a PSTV).
It cannot, 4 TFs and 3.6 ghz 8 core cpu cannot be handheld. Otherwise, Apple would make an ipad with these specs and sell it for $6999999999

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
My mum, before she passed used to be a big clannad fan, that's where Enya came from, the group.

Try to listen to, clannad, robin the hooded man if you get the chance, so beautiful

I'll chat you in DM if we continue this conversation path because I really don't think it's fair to the thread to go so far off-track, and.. I started that.

I will say, I'm sorry for your loss regardless of how long ago that was. I have the track queued up for when I get a moment. I appreciate the sharing :). Thank you.

sircaw

Banned
I'll chat you in DM if we continue this conversation path because I really don't think it's fair to the thread to go so far off-track, and.. I started that.

I will say, I'm sorry for your loss regardless of how long ago that was. I have the track queued up for when I get a moment. I appreciate the sharing :). Thank you.

Yep, enjoy, sorry for derailing people,

Back to sharpening knives, I mean normal chit chat. :messenger_angry_horns:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Why did Apple move to Intel?

Ya.... As I said, Motorola couldn't keep up, especially in the fabrication department. I kinda know about this and what was going on, because I was THERE. Yes, performance per watt...sure. Motorola also couldn't get the chips to work higher than 2.0 ghz. The PowerPC processors Apple was using were BASED on IBM's Power architecture but they were not IBM Power7 processors.

I believe one of the largest factors here was that Intel was focused on the processor market and simply caught up and surpassed any advantage that IBM/Moto/Apple had with these PowerPC processors. A big factor in this was that Motorola was NOT focused on the processor market and was falling apart. During this period Motorola kept cutting off and selling pieces of itself in an attempt to stay afloat. Bad management at the top plus the bottom dropping out of the semiconductor component market. What's left of Moto's semiconductor component business is now on it's own and called ON Semiconductor.

splattered

So Dusk Golem shares actual direct from developer insights about the advantage of Xbox performance... gets stomped on, came back and said hey sorry it is what it is i was just trying to show Xbox actually has advantages and Sony fans should brace themselves (leveling current narrative from delusional fans) for future comparisons and people are just jumping straight to "FUD! he is fake throw him out!"

A month ago he gave a plethora of leaks and insider information and was widely accepted as a verified leaker with good info... and now he is constantly bashed because he isn't 100% pro Sony.

This is why we have such a problem with insiders not wanting to come forward into the spotlight, if they aren't pro Sony they get just absolutely shit on.

"Dusk Golem has said that he did come out with that info to try and even out the playfield after the recent Sony and MS news, because he felt bad for the Xbox fanbase. He felt things were too one sided". He mentioned this both on Ree and his tweet. LOL at "console warring is stupid" but let me balance the ship in favor of the poor xfans with my FUD take :messenger_tears_of_joy:

uhsCQtx.png

So he had this information all this time and only now does he chose to release it?

And that's just to balance the negative news that Xbox is having?

That sounds pretty silly in my opinion.

Anyways this just proves it wasn't a crazy coincidence and pretty much confirms his bias. Now we have to choose to believe that he's telling the truth or that he's just making the information up. Being terminated ad a mod only adds to the speculation.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
This is a very good video.

interesting,

That's why i praised naughty dogs' approach to all things disability.

To give people options is indeed a wonderful thing,

Not to get into it, but i have immense issues with my vision as well, typing can be hard especially for long periods of time.

for companies to give player options and choices. it's a wonderful thing.

It is something i noticed when i moved from South Africa to the UK, take wheelchair access as an example, in South Africa, there is basically none, try to get around and upstairs or into buildings, its a bloody nightmare.

the UK, it's not perfect by any means but they go all out of their way to help people.

I wish it was normal everywhere.
People having to suffer with simple tasks or things people take for granted is not good, we should all try and make it easier for people.

And when I said people i even include xbox people in that, sorry can't help myself, born bad "lollipop_disappointed:

interesting,

That's why i praised naughty dogs' approach to all things disability.

To give people options is indeed a wonderful thing,

Not to get into it, but i have immense issues with my vision as well, typing can be hard especially for long periods of time.

for companies to give player options and choices. it's a wonderful thing.

It is something i noticed when i moved from South Africa to the UK, take wheelchair access as an example, in South Africa, there is basically none, try to get around and upstairs or into buildings, its a bloody nightmare.

the UK, it's not perfect by any means but they go all out of their way to help people.

I wish it was normal everywhere.
People having to suffer with simple tasks or things people take for granted is not good, we should all try and make it easier for people.

And when I said people i even include xbox people in that, sorry can't help myself, born bad "lollipop_disappointed:
Well, afaik Gears 5 had a lot of disability options. But yes ND does a great job on that front.

DrDamn

So Dusk Golem shares actual direct from developer insights about the advantage of Xbox performance... gets stomped on, came back and said hey sorry it is what it is i was just trying to show Xbox actually has advantages and Sony fans should brace themselves (leveling current narrative from delusional fans) for future comparisons and people are just jumping straight to "FUD! he is fake throw him out!"

A month ago he gave a plethora of leaks and insider information and was widely accepted as a verified leaker with good info... and now he is constantly bashed because he isn't 100% pro Sony.

This is why we have such a problem with insiders not wanting to come forward into the spotlight, if they aren't pro Sony they get just absolutely shit on.

He's had to deal with shit he shouldn't have, but he really should have seen it coming. You can't open a can of worms in that way and expect different. He passed on info he'd heard without the context he later added and is surprised by the results? He's also admitted he had somewhat ulterior motives to simply passing on the information - i.e. redressing the balance of information, when he himself believed the end result wouldn't be what he had stated as the current situation.

Specifically your bolded statement splattered splattered - it's not really about the advantage of Xbox performance - it's the early developments of a game engine which has ported more quickly and effectively to XSX devkits. That says more about that particular engine and that particular developer and where they are in development than the two target architectures. Trying to imply the difference between the two machines will be 4K vs 1080p was foolish with that information. There are plenty of counter points to this being the general case which have already been shown.

Which brings me to the final point - MS doesn't need second hand developer insights to redress the balance - it needs to show stuff looking great running on XSX hardware to the public, it's a crazy idea, but it might just work.

Please note I fully expect XSX to have an advantage with third party titles, I'm frustrated that they haven't shown anything properly running on XSX hardware which looks good enough to back this up yet.

splattered

He's had to deal with shit he shouldn't have, but he really should have seen it coming. You can't open a can of worms in that way and expect different. He passed on info he'd heard without the context he later added and is surprised by the results? He's also admitted he had somewhat ulterior motives to simply passing on the information - i.e. redressing the balance of information, when he himself believed the end result wouldn't be what he had stated as the current situation.

Specifically your bolded statement splattered splattered - it's not really about the advantage of Xbox performance - it's the early developments of a game engine which has ported more quickly and effectively to XSX devkits. That says more about that particular engine and that particular developer and where they are in development than the two target architectures. Trying to imply the difference between the two machines will be 4K vs 1080p was foolish with that information. There are plenty of counter points to this being the general case which have already been shown.

Which brings me to the final point - MS doesn't need second hand developer insights to redress the balance - it needs to show stuff looking great running on XSX hardware to the public, it's a crazy idea, but it might just work.

Please note I fully expect XSX to have an advantage with third party titles, I'm frustrated that they haven't shown anything properly running on XSX hardware which looks good enough to back this up yet.

I completely agree with you about it being matter of engine/build, i just don't think people should be crapping all over people who have legit insider information they are willing to share whether they fully understand the context or not.

Yes the Xbox will have advantages in 3rd party titles and one day maybe even 1st party titles if they ever get their shit together (unlikely).. but anytime anyone says something positive about xbox people lose their shit which is ridiculous. Feels worse than sports politics and religion sometimes. Fucking fanatics out there.

DaGwaphics

In an engine like Halo's Slipspace it might be 20% That's the whole problem.

That's unnecessary roughness at this point, back it up 15

Off the top of my head:

- PS5 was overclocked at the last minute
- PS5 boosts to 10.3tflops only, its 'base clock' is 9tflops, Cerny lying
- Devs are having a nightmare making games for it
- It's overheating
- The console is twice as big as Series X (fake measurement image being taken as gospel).
- Sony paid Tim Sweeney to say PS5 is a game changer
- UE5 demo was running on a Chinese laptop no problem
- PS5 is struggling with RE8 @ 1080P/60fps
- PS5 struggles with 4K games

I've missed a few :messenger_beaming:

giphy.gif

You forgot to mention that every dev or industry professional saying good things about ps5 is either incompetent or has been paid by sony.

That one is kind of a statement of fact, it is what it is.

Honestly, I need to be shown two screenshots of RT on and off just to be able to tell the difference. I just don't care about what is 'under the hood' if image quality is pristine, be it RT or Lumen in UE5 demo.

If they don't see it, you have to make them see.

And if they still don't see it, smack them upside the head. :messenger_beaming:

Yep because Sony warriors are not surfing the internet all day to find potential bad series x news to post here lol. Medium does not have ray tracing and get 200 rabid fan boys calling Phil a liar ect. The constant trolling and baiting every series x thread that is remotely positive. The new tactic of trying to taint playground and other legitimate Microsoft studios with 343. Yes it is the only the evil xbox guys lol.

ssh... We are supposed to act like the Spencer obsession often on display is not a thing. Excessive Xbox hating from those with no interest in the platform? No sir that does not happen on the internet. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
If they don't see it, you have to make them see.

And if they still don't see it, smack them upside the head. :messenger_beaming:

I can see it, but, let's say there's something which isn't RT, but could be confused for it in some way with some kind of fake reflections or lighting tricks. I wouldn't necessarily know the difference. That is likely a me thing, but.. I'm just saying, I need someone to tell me that something is in fact, definitively using RT to know for sure. That goes double for things like shadow or non-reflective surface use.

DrDamn

I completely agree with you about it being matter of engine/build, i just don't think people should be crapping all over people who have legit insider information they are willing to share whether they fully understand the context or not.

There are fans on both sides who will hound insiders who tell them things they don't want to hear unfortunately, I just think in this case he went about it in the wrong way. Context is everything and if you pass on information without the context you know is there you are wilfully opening it up to misinformation. You can see how quickly this stuff spreads with "journalists" picking it up and further misinterpreting it. The context is then used to debunk the whole piece of information - in a similar way to how an insider is wrong about everything once they are wrong once - when there may well have been some helpful or useful information in there.

Yes the Xbox will have advantages in 3rd party titles and one day maybe even 1st party titles if they ever get their shit together (unlikely).. but anytime anyone says something positive about xbox people lose their shit which is ridiculous. Feels worse than sports politics and religion sometimes. Fucking fanatics out there.

There are problems everywhere, but again he went about it in the wrong way. It wasn't simply passed on as positive Xbox information, it was bundled with negative PS5 information and an implication for general differences based on that. That's poking a hornet nest. They would still have had a lot of negative feedback but what if they had simply said "I have friends at Capcom who are getting on really well with getting Res Evil Village running on XSX, there already have the engine hitting 4K 60fps." - there is no need to throw shade on PS5 performance when you think it will be addressed because it invites the idiots in, just big up the XSX.

DaGwaphics

I can see it, but, let's say there's something which isn't RT, but could be confused for it in some way with some kind of fake reflections or lighting tricks. I wouldn't necessarily know the difference. That is likely a me thing, but.. I'm just saying, I need someone to tell me that something is in fact, definitively using RT to know for sure. That goes double for things like shadow or non-reflective surface use.

Absolutely, when I'm in a car game, I'm not really checking the deformation and accuracy on the reflections, especially since the current-gen fakery is as good as it is.

No question that RT will be transformative at some point, the question is how good are these upcoming consoles at RT? How good are the next round of RTX cards? How good will they be in 5 years and so on. I think we'll hit path tracing in a reasonable amount of time now that RT is really being worked on.

With that said, I was actually poking fun here, because I can see devs utilizing an excessive amount of reflective surfaces to try and show this off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom