• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Would you say anything in a definitive manner if the things you were sharing were secondhand or thirdhand information? You say you haven't seen him post any substantial leaks, so you must have not been following the thread closely in the beginning of the year and the spring. And he's been early on plenty of things since then too.

I don’t have a problem with HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 as he states from the beginning that he is guessing in some respects. My problem is with the Italian dude and fakefox constant stupid teasing and what is worse is people posting their stupid fake information and tweets here.

Eg_aKdgU4AMVfrD

fake or real? tweeted by Jeff Grubb

DrDamn

"PS5 uses a 1 TB internal SSD but they say "only" 825 GB because the rest is "Virtual RAM" which is always active and available during in-game.

Source: A good old friend and "scene veteran" I didn't heard from for so many years and who wants to stay anonymous."

From Roxanne twitter, wiki editor of ps3 developer wiki :pie_thinking:

If there is some truth to that I think it's slightly confused. The 825GB could be for Games with an additional SSD without some of the speed of the main unit of ~175GB included for OS use. The 825GB is very specifically chosen for the speed it allows for. Doubt that still applies if you are talking about a 1TB unit with 825GB sectioned off - but what do I know?

The other point could be that with the "main" SSD expected to be streaming content during games most of the time a separate smaller buffer for managing background downloads, streaming or saving of video etc would be helpful.

Shmunter

If there is some truth to that I think it's slightly confused. The 825GB could be for Games with an additional SSD without some of the speed of the main unit of ~175GB included for OS use. The 825GB is very specifically chosen for the speed it allows for. Doubt that still applies if you are talking about a 1TB unit with 825GB sectioned off - but what do I know?

The other point could be that with the "main" SSD expected to be streaming content during games most of the time a separate smaller buffer for managing background downloads, streaming or saving of video etc would be helpful.
Nah, it’s nonsense. If it’s a 1tb drive, no matter how much is reserved for o/s they would advertise 1tb because bigger is better.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, it’s nonsense. If it’s a 1tb drive, no matter how much is reserved for o/s they would advertise 1tb because bigger is better.
Also doesn't fall in line with the PS5's 12 channel SSD architecture, it can only do certain sizes 825..1.6...so on and so on.

This was explained very well by multiple people including Mark Cerny himself. I don't understand why there is confusion and speculation around this.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrDamn

Also doesn't fall in line with the PS5's 12 channel SSD architecture, it can only do certain sizes 825..1.6...so on and so on.

This was explained very well by multiple people including Mark Cerny himself. I don't understand why there is confusion and speculation around this.

That was part of my point. If there is additional space it would be a separate SSD not an 1TB drive sectioned off into 825/175GB chunks.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
"PS5 uses a 1 TB internal SSD but they say "only" 825 GB because the rest is "Virtual RAM" which is always active and available during in-game.

Source: A good old friend and "scene veteran" I didn't heard from for so many years and who wants to stay anonymous."

What's the positive version of FUD?

Because we have a lot of fake positive bullshit here lol

Last edited:

It’s nonsense. It goes against the entire point of what Sony has done with their IO and storage. A separate virtual memory partition or allocation would be no faster to access than the original files. It would just add latency and extra steps for no gain.

Virtual memory/scratch disks are useful in desktop operating systems and computers that multitask and where the OS and application can’t know ahead of time how much memory will be available on a given computer.
They make zero sense on a games console that doesn’t multitask and where the developer knows precisely how much memory will be available.

It’s complete tripe and makes zero sense.

Also, as others have already said: if the PS5 SSD was 1TB it would be sold as such. Without a doubt in the world.

Capacities of consoles, tablets, phones etc are always the physical sizes regardless of how much the OS takes or how it makes use of it.

It’s a 12-channel 825GB SSD.

By the time the capacity becomes a problem for the average player they’ll be able to buy compatible 7GB/s PCIe 4.0 m.2 drive for dirt cheap on the open market with lots of competition. You can count on multiple vendors specifically marketing suitable drives as PS5 ready or whatever.

Dodkrake

Banned

You should look at the title of this thread. It includes speculation there.

Spreading false information with the intent of attacking one platform: Wrong
Speculate on a platform's capabilities: Right

Now, you can say that the line that separates both would be right, but the concept of FUD implies the spread of false information with the intent of appealing to the fear of something. Please note the "false information" bit.

So let's exemplify:
  • Speculation: Console X may be having cooling issues. There's no official source, but rumors say that this is indeed what is occurring.
  • FUD: (after confirmation that this is not the case from official sources) Everybody knows that console X is having cooling issues, and that it's likely it will shut itself down. You're just in denial.
Then there's also the projection tactic used mostly by Astroturfers. How does this work? Easy: Rumors / Data implies that Console X is having production issues, but this has not yet been made public. A selected group of Astroturfers spread information that Console Y is having production issues in order to alleviate the bad news / make them go as unnoticed as possible. This can then lead to FUD tactics:

Example:
  • Astroturfing: (Account X is having cooling issues) Haven't you heard? Rumors say that Console Y is having cooling issues and that's why we haven't heard from them.
  • FUD: (After console X is confirmed or heavily rumored to have cooling issues) Yeah, but let's forget that Console Y is much worse and that they likely hired someone to spread false information.
These tactics can be found in several forums, but one of the main ones I've seen this is Abovetopsecret. That's a cesspool of hired bots.

IntentionalPun

Now, you can say that the line that separates both would be right, but the concept of FUD implies the spread of false information with the intent of appealing to the fear of something. Please note the "false information" bit.

And what I quoted was clearly false information intended to spread hype about something, although it would never happen.

Not sure why you just gave me an essay on what FUD is.

Dodkrake

Banned
And what I quoted was clearly false information intended to spread hype about something, although it would never happen.

Not sure why you just gave me an essay on what FUD is.

Maybe because you asked what the positive version? There's no positive version of FUD

And you seem to be super bothered by speculation when it involves the PS5, historically. Care to explain why? It seems innocuous that someone speculated, based on a rumor, that it would have a 1TB SSD whereby 185GB were reserved for something else. Nobody was pushing that narrative hard, nobody was taking it for granted in order to mislead people, it was harmless speculation.

Also, when people take the time to respectfully reply to a comment of yours, don't be a dickhead about it.

IntentionalPun

And you seem to be super bothered by speculation when it involves the PS5, historically. Care to explain why?
That's complete and utter BS. We have a lot of fake positive shit about XSX too and I equally laugh it off.

I'm bothered by people posting fake shit here no matter what it's about.

It's dumb "secret sauce" level crap. We know exactly why the PS5 SSD is 825GB from the source itself.

Also, when people take the time to respectfully reply to a comment of yours, don't be a dickhead about it.
How am I being a dick?

I'm legit confused why you decided to write up a long explanation of what FUD is.. what about my post indicated I don't know what FUD is?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Just to explain the correct info.

PS5 SSD has 12 lanes (channels) so it needs 12 memory chips to work.
Each memory has the size of 64GiB.

12 x 64 = 768GiB.

Storage media uses GB instead GiB.

768GiB = 824.6GB.

So PS5 SSD has rounded 825GB of storage.
If they use 128GiB memory chip for a possible bigger storage version then you will have around 1650GB (that is how you know the PS5 DE 2TB rumors are fake).

Last edited:

roops67

No, Nikana does not mention SSD speed in his message at all!
Do you maybe try too hard to find problems with other members here?
He mentions both have identical loading speeds, what are they loading from? But that's not the only obvious LIE. I'm 'trying' to bring this damage control fud to light

Are you accusing me of being a trouble-maker around here? There's 2 members I have issues with, and they both happen to be the same 2 that have liked your post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom