• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Blaster

I don't know how much of this really changes anything from a sony perspective. Could they go out and buy some studios, sure i would love bluepoint and from soft ware, but do Sony really need to, i don't think so.

There are probably agreements in place for all those games that those acquired studies have made to appear on sony's system. Even the elder scrolls i would imagine is 99% coming to the ps5.

The reason i believe this is, that this is the last generation of console hardware made from Microsoft. They want their game pass app everywhere, like they said they don't even care if you buy there system as long as you play there app.

I have a feeling in 5-7 years when the new console generation comes out, there will just be Sony left and you will have the option to play there app on its console.

That is my two sense.

As much as people think this is some sort of win for Microsoft in the console war, i believe both companies are going to get exactly what they want in the not to distant future.
Don't forget about Nintendo, they've always wanted to control the hardware where their games run, all the way to the media if they can.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony ain't secured 11 million for shit my friend. Their press release was a joke and an insult to brain activity

bon appetit
oh boy, I can't even imagine the level of pure madness when microsoft will show the first trailer of Starfield, of Elder Scrolls next-gen, etc
what is happening since yesterday in here is only the hors d'oeuvre
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I understood the first, but I don't understand French. But (gonna/will/future/next) should be really kept in check and reflected on the track record of MS. I can see plenty of xbox fans being baited into those empty promises, I'm only waiting for the new wave of memes.

Sony ain't secured 11 million for shit my friend. Their press release was a joke and an insult to brain activity

bon appetit

it's amazing to me how you wake up every day and spend the whole time on a forum telling people they are dumb.
YOU know how many PS5 are in production, YOU know if PS5 has development problems, YOU know that PS5 runs Resident Evil at 1080p...
what's next, you gonna tell me the shoe size of Jim Ryan ?

user1337

Start of new gens are always entertaining. It's nice to see some good competition.

Will be good to see what games Sony's firt party comes up with (not just part 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 of whats already released).

MastaKiiLA

Just checked EB Games NZ.

Series X Pre-Sold out

Series S still available.

PS5 sold out. Other retailers stopped pre-orders due to overwhelming demand. CHRIST.
The first months hardware sales between Xbox and PlayStation is going to be interesting.
I trust the XSS is sold at a profit, and not a loss, because otherwise, creating separate SKUs with different innards is going to be looked back on as incredibly stupid. Sony has 2 SKUs, but it's just a drive removal, and swap of 1 plastic side. They only have to shift plastics and drive production, which is relatively cheap, and they realistically get to set the proportions of each SKU they provide retailers. If DE or disc demand is low, they can just bump up the other version's supply. They'll probably keep the disc version's volume higher longer, if it proves to bleed less cash.

MS, OTOH, can't shift supply as dynamically as Sony, because the 2 SKUs aren't as modular. I made a post about this a few months back, when it was revealed that the XSS would have different innards, and wouldn't just use the same components underclocked. Economies of scale take longer to kick in, and you run into potential surplus issues if you can't move one unit quickly enough. I'm sure they'll sell out of launch XSS units soon enough, but are we already seeing that there's a significant bias in demand among early adopters?

This is why I think XSS has to be profitable, or just about break-even, because it seems more like just a vehicle for GP, because the early adopters clearly want XSX more than the lower model, and even the availability in stores seems to be biased towards XSS. If sales volume of XSS was already anticipated to be low, they can't be selling it at a loss. GP isn't a big revenue stream, and early adopters are generally converts of your established userbase, meaning people who probably already have GP memberships. I'm now more puzzled by the split strategy, than I was before we saw their unit allocation. Generally, cheaper SKUs should sell out first, especially when they're only like 25% of the initial allotment.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Why does Sony need to react at all? They still have some of the best studios around. Plus we know how Microsoft has a tendency to kill studios. RIP RARE RIP.
Because otherwise they won't be able to compete in the future. We're going towards a future where a couple of companies will own most game studios. Sony is one of the biggest companies in gaming, you would want them to keep that position.

Sony needs to expand or they won’t be able to compete with the amount of yearly releases from Xbox studios from 2023 onward.

But because it’s Sony, I expect them to do nothing and complain latter.

MS have more studios but how many of these studios can produce quality AAA games? I really don't think Sony have anything at all to worry about. They do need to increase their output, but not because of MS.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Interesting. Lets see how MS will fare with their approach. Netflix of gaming could be nice but I don't see how that can be profitable. You have to give people an incentive to stay subscribed. A game that is in developement for multiple years and people can just subscribe for a month and play it for 10 bucks? Makes no sense. A lot of things about to change in the gaming space

Netflix approach is like asking NASA scientists to share 95% of their salary with the rest of the population. Now it's a bit funny, gamepass feels like fitting a communist approach with devs, while PS5 is doing a capitalist approach with devs to some extent.

dude, sony's chip is smaller and has to clock waaay higher.
as I said, it has become an apparent reality that many people in this thread lack fundamental skills
Smaller chips are usually easier to clock higher than a bigger more power hungry ones. (PS5 clock is very high, but they should have sufficient cooling and smartshift to help this)
Smaller chips usually have better yields.
Anything in your answer doesn't indicate you having better thought process or fundamental skills than him.

Well, what can I say anyway?
MS just slammed a giant dick on the table.
If it's even "only" to have Starfield or TeS for timed exclusives on Gamepass, that would be an atomic deal that could change the balance, and not even talking about ID, Machine Games, Fallout or whatever, or even brand new IPs from those studios produced by MS. Just simple timed exclusives of announced titles. And people right now are asking themself "so this will be exclusive, and that? And this even?" doesn't matter what is confirmed in an obscure place of the Internet, the averages joes gonna see MICROSOFT TAKES BETHESDA and live with the doubt of eventual exclusives on Xbox, which is a big "marketing" advantage over Sony.
It will take a while since then anyway, we have no idea what Sony will do, but damn. I hope Xbox simply do not stop at timed exclusives, better if actually finances new games, it is what I wanted: direct contribution to videogames, and stress Sony to release even more of them. It took seven fucking years, but hey, maybe here we are. Finally.

I understood the first, but I don't understand French. But (gonna/will/future/next) should be really kept in check and reflected on the track record of MS. I can see plenty of xbox fans being baited into those empty promises, I'm only waiting for the new wave of memes.
about the french, bon appetit = enjoy your meal, hors d'oeuvre = appetizer
about the rest, I can promise you many memes, but I'm not sure it will be what you want it to be :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Smaller chips are usually easier to clock higher than a bigger more power hungry ones. (PS5 clock is very high, but they should have sufficient cooling and smartshift to help this)
Smaller chips usually have better yields.
Anything in your answer doesn't indicate you having better thought process or fundamental skills than him.
yeah, ok. I have nothing to add to my previous comment. waste of time actually

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
about the french, bon appetit = enjoy your meal, hors d'oeuvre = appetizer
about the rest, I can promise you many memes, but I'm not sure it will be what you want it to be :messenger_tears_of_joy:

4fujse.jpg

SSfox

MS buying Bathesda is huge, but personally speaking it doesn't do much to me, only game i'm looking forward from Bathesda is TES6 and it's not coming anytime soon (i F love Skyrim Hardcore, and loved Oblivion as well), they have other cool games but nothing crazy kind of games i usually wait for price drop like Doom.

That being said, it's insane that MS can pay 2B$ for Minecraft and 7.5B for Bathesda, but couldn't even put more 20 millions $ on a Killer Instinct game, fans has been begging since ages for a new game and only thing MS could do is a AA game with 5 characters at launch... I mean it shouldn't surprise me from MS at this point, but still ... guess it's just MS being MS as usual.

Last edited:

PSX

7.5 billion to beat PlayStation 5 do you understand how dangerous PS5 to xbox this gen we all have seen it already no? I think still won’t beat PlayStation no matter what. I will still keep waiting for them to release proper actual next gen games by the that time Xbox consoles will be cheaper. in 1-2 years for now, all this won’t change a thing still marketing to drop big news before pre-order. MS is dying for attention in gaming in industry. I am not hating but I hate the fact they lied to me in past with Xbox one and their only online model etc... I kinda of person who hard to gain trust again. We shall see what’s going to happen in future. Bethesda purchase was a big bomb news. To be honest I only love Doom, Fallout and Elder Scroll franchises. The other IPs meh to me. My expectations Sony will still win this upcoming generation while MS will put heavy pressure which healthy to lead to more creativity and more video games that actually good. For example Nintendo iPs are outstanding and unique. I hope MS will have a unique games to justify me to get xbox in future it has a lot to catch up after Xbox one disaster/disappointments. This is from a fan who love video games not one console but I will talk shit if you show me a shitty business.

Last edited:
Probably it's the new "wait for next E3" as E3 is gone now.

Wait for next Starfield. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The desperation on that is to obfuscate the lack of compelling first party software at launch and the first year. What's even funnier is Elder Scrolls sequel is being used in console war.

Cos Elder Scrolls will be coming out after this Starfield, which is far out itself. So Elder Scrolls is what, 2025?! If it's before that, it won't be the AAA ES we're used to in all likelihood.

Its just that I have come to understand when a thinking person addresses me or a troll.
So just take the info I posted and translate it as you wish. Your understanding is not my problem to solve.
I read the article, I don't usually comment on articles if i don't read them.

You made a hot take about the article, that no one is allowed to question? Gotcha :messenger_weary::messenger_ok:

Last edited:
I read the article, I don't usually comment on articles if i don't read them.

You made a hot take about the article, that no one is allowed to question? Gotcha :messenger_weary::messenger_ok:
I only posted the article for the thinking person to understand that the bloomberg reports are not so "false" as sony boldly stated.
In fact bloomberg article was very precise stating "unstable" chips.
How the 58% breaks down is relatively easy to figure out, if you have a sufficient level of understanding. if you are trying just to console war, that's another story and definitely not my problem to solve.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The desperation on that is to obfuscate the lack of compelling first party software at launch and the first year. What's even funnier is Elder Scrolls sequel is being used in console war.

Cos Elder Scrolls will be coming out after this Starfield, which is far out itself. So Elder Scrolls is what, 2025?! If it's before that, it won't be the AAA ES we're used to in all likelihood.

I'm really feeling bad for those who would still fall for the empty promises only to suffer another 7 years of waiting.

HawarMiran

Banned
Netflix approach is like asking NASA scientists to share 95% of their salary with the rest of the population. Now it's a bit funny, gamepass feels like fitting a communist approach with devs, while PS5 is doing a capitalist approach with devs to some extent.
It can only work for me if they take the Rockstar approach. Don't make a game with a live service as the foundation. Make a solid single-player game and then a multiplayer on top of it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
sure, but lets face it, its cross gen. sony hasnt denied that its not. they are playing coy just like they did after spiderman was rumored to be on the ps4 after the june reveal.
Does it matter? Still will look better the anything on Xbox Series X.
Am I Lying?

That can't be true, the fact Xbox Series S are still in stock at the time of posting this at some retailers makes it even worse.
I thought MS had more consoles then Sony for launch

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Love the damage control in this thread.

Lol. It is ridiculous to downplay such a huge move from Microsoft. But, it’s equally ridiculous to start claiming that XBox will now surge ahead of PlayStation because of it.

People really do lose their minds when big announcements like this are made 😊

As far as I’m concerned, I now feel that Microsoft are committed to their consoles and gaming going forward... which I was unsure of previously, and that makes me more tempted to pick a Series x up when they are available again.

Splash-the-cash Microsoft means we get a more combative, unsure Sony, which is the best way for them to be.

Last edited:

Loxus

dude, sony's chip is smaller and has to clock waaay higher.
as I said, it has become an apparent reality that many people in this thread lack fundamental skills

its not like you have any other options :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I think you fail to understand Cerny's whole talk about variable frequency is to keep heat in check.
When Mark Cerny said, "Running a GPU at 2GHz was looking like an unreachable target with the fixed frequency strategy.", he meant running at 2GHz using fix clocks the temperature was rising above the desired amount.

Second, the chip is able to go much higher than 2.23GHz as Cerny said the GPU is able to go way above that, the he had to Cap it.
"With this new paradigm we’re able to run way over that, in fact we have to cap the GPU frequency at 2.23GHz so that we can guarantee that the on-chip logic operates properly."
So the 2.23GHz doesn't effect yields as much as you think.

Next, SmartShift only comes in to play to shift unused power, it does force anything to down clock.
Down clock happens because power is cap, so when a power hungry instruction comes along it down clocks because power because it can't increase power.
And if you understand how over clocking works on pc, you would know increasing power by 10% add maybe 2 or 3% to clocks.
For this example I will use a relatively high overclock with a high core voltage, 2.5 GHz with 1.95v.
OC Wattage = TDP * ( OC MHz / Stock MHz) * ( OC Vcore / Stock Vcore )^2
OC Wattage = 53.7 * (2500/1833) * (1.95/1.65)^2
OC Wattage = 53.7 * (1.36) * (1.18)^2
OC Wattage = 53.7 * 1.36 * 1.39
OC Wattage = 101
So this 36% overclock and 18% core voltage increase has resulted in a 88% wattage increase.

Lastly, I've be viewing this thread from the begin and lately I realized you fail to understand the most important thing Mark Cerny said about variable frequency.
"If the CPU doesn't use its power budget - for example, if it is capped at 3.5GHz - then the unused portion of the budget goes to the GPU. That's what AMD calls SmartShift. There's enough power that both CPU and GPU can potentially run at their limits of 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz, it isn't the case that the developer has to choose to run one of them slower."
Mark Cerny, Lead Architect.
Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-playstation-5-the-mark-cerny-tech-deep-dive

Shio

Lol. It is ridiculous to downplay such a huge move from Microsoft. But, it’s equally ridiculous to start claiming that XBox will now surge ahead of PlayStation because of it.

People really do lose their minds when big announcements like this are made 😊

As far as I’m concerned, I now feel that Microsoft are committed to their consoles and gaming going forward... which I was unsure of previously, and that makes me more tempted to pick a Series x up when they are available again.

Splash-the-cash Microsoft means we get a more combative, unsure Sony, which is the best way for them to be.
SO what i got from the announcement is that stuff already in development will continue as planned and new stuff will be decided on a case by case basis. So everything that's already been announced but not released will continue as planned. The only things at risk are new stuff which could be 4+ years into the future. The advantage at the moment is only the existing older games under zenimax which can be made available on game-pass. The new stuff will only be an advantage towards the end of this generation or the next-generation i think.

SSfox

Reading some reactions ... that are quite nonsensical

Yes MS buying Beth is huge, to say the least. but it won't make me forget how they handled their gaming brand in the last 7 years.

Also let's wait and see what will happen to Beth IPs before start clapping, if the games will becomes worse, or better. Someone hoping it won't be a Rare Part 2, time will tell as usual.

Last edited:
Might not even be a choice at the end. When you have a couple players in the market and one of them starts absorbing all oxygen in the room, your only option is anticipating this move and fight fire with fire. Doesn't mean you go on a shopping spree, but you need to identify the targets that are in play and make a move before the opponent does.

Does it mean buying Take 2 or Activision? No, that's stupid. Does it mean purchasing more "Insomniacs", yes, that's exactly what it means.

How about sony move as normal.How about Sony you just promote an internal studio & come out with an IP. How about they work with long term partners & bring them into the company. Instead of overpaying for mid level IP's.

Its a look for xbox. But this is just keeping up appearances. For games you was always going to get.Actually evaluate what is bought here. 7.5 billion is an L. We are not talking about couple 100 mill gaming studios here. Now its billions it has to get compared to other billion dollar deals. Xbox spent billions on minecraft they are still 3rd place & still not making PS level revenue. Just sit on that. This Bethesda deal cost double what Disney payed for Marvel. The deal is 500million short of What Disney paid for Marvel & Star wars.

Bethesda=7.5 bill ---- Marvel + Star wars=8 bill. Now sit there & tell me this a good deal?? When Xbox don't even make that revenue/profit yearly. Year on year decline subs, sales.This shit looks goofy. Lets keep the honesty.The games are mid ,none of Bethesda's roster is in convo of top generational games. If your not top you are bottom or mid. And mid is where those games sits. There is not 1 studio at bethesda that is on insomniac level. And they cost 225million. Per studio & per IP xbox have over payed drastically.

I don't know. I just see this as keeping up appearances for twitter & media. Longer term there's going to be big problems.Your relying on customers you don't have. Your not going to be spending AAA budgets & subsidise it for $1-15 dollar. Netflix debt is clear example why.Its bizarre. Something is going on to warrant this purchase. People that buy IP's,Masters,scripts.,movie rights,licences. None of them would buy Beth at this price. For MS to go & overspend on this means somethings going on behind the scenes. That they had to do this. Also that price means there was other bidders.Its ridiculously high for what you get.It just is.

Its interesting its great pressure especially when they make the shit exclusive ,but its the same dance as always. Its even worse at least before it was grounded,& bleeding edge,gears now its going to be at a cost of a decent IP dying. You cant avoid head to heads. In 2-3 years wolfenstein /doom /starfield whatever mid shit is gonna have to deal with Spiderman 2 ,new IP's and PS hype. And we know how that plays out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom