• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmyp53

Anyone having issues with connectivity in Demon's Souls? I'm having issues in ONE particular area. When I get summoned in as a blue to help people with the Tower Knight boss....almost every time, RIGHT at the end of the fight and JUST before the Tower Knight's bar gets down to zero and it declares the win, the connection terminates. So awesome...the host gets the win, but summons...at least MY summon, don't get the credit or souls for it. It's ONLY happened to me with this boss so far, though admittedly I've only done up to the Leechmonger and all the worlds save 4-1 on the first bosses. But it seems ODDLY consistent with that one boss fight.

Anyone?

Also...hearing some people complain about a "whine" when playing Demon's Souls and some other games. I heard SOMETHING like the noise they mention...but it only was while the game was installing from the disk. I think the humming is the drive spinning? Regardless, it's not even noticeable unless you put your ear up to the unit itself. Much ado about nothing, I think..unless specific units have some kind of low grade issue.

I honestly probably joined in as a phantom with you tonight. Tower Knight does appear to have a network disconnect bug/issue after he falls down. Not sure how to report it besides tweeting at Blupoint.

Last edited:

user1337

Does the PlayStation app still not have an option for me to view and download things I captured with the create button?

No, the only way around it is to send your screenshots as a message to yourself (alt account or possibly a group that only you are in). I used to send it to an alt account and download it from the apps messaging section.

Garani

Spiderman in RT mode is nothing short of spectacular. I did not think a cross gen game would impress me this much visually because last gen none of the cross gen games (AC, BF4, and CoD) did anything for me. But ray tracing really enhances the image quality. I mean the suit fucking reflects. The spiderman logo, his fucking eyes, everything has reflections and it gives every shot in the game depth. They werent lying about crowd sizes and better lighting either. I played Days gone, infamous and ghosts at 60 fps, they are glorious at that framerate but spiderman at 30 fps with ray tracing and what feels like next gen lighting really stands out.

A certain XBox Executive went public during an interview telling us that RT would not be earth shattering for game play. I guess he is the same one that approved the "Most powerful console" ad for the XSX.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have tested 7SIII and its really amazing. AF is out of world.
Second generation its ultra impressive too in terms of low light, tested many times but AF is.. there is no AF :) (figuratively)

Yeah AF is extremely critical for nature videography and photography, even for just 12.1MP it's serviceable as I need video 70% more than photos 30%.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Im glad Im still have PDP (plasma) TV from Panny. Details and contrast are still amazing.
About OLED its better buy OLED with good picture processor like AG9 (A9G) but only 60Hz than 120Hz and weak picture processing.

Yeah I can't see myself going outside Sony, unless I see something really meets my needs and outperforms Sony. Would rather wait for a Sony OLED if it's for HDMI 2.1.

Nickolaidas

I honestly probably joined in as a phantom with you tonight. Tower Knight does appear to have a network disconnect bug/issue after he falls down. Not sure how to report it besides tweeting at Blupoint.
The original had this exact glitch. I remember teaming up with players to take him down, and the connection would end once he got beaten.

oldergamer

Fuck's sake man, bu, bu, bu... but what about DX12? Pretty sure that shit exists for a few years now.
What about the fantastic idea of not using "variable clocks" (aka smartshift) and how that makes dev's lives so much easier because the "tflops" aren't varying?
What about not having new controller features and pretty much using the exact same controller as last gen?
I was told the large CU count would be Microsoft's fine wine approach to this gen. Where has that narrative gone?
What about the "RDNA 1.5" on the PS5 vs the so called only console with "all RDNA2 features shown by AMD"?
I vaguely remember the CPU also being clocked higher, so much so even the Series S was said by some geniuses (Tom Warren lol) it would outperform the PS5 at lower resolutions.

How about stop making excuses for Microsoft and tell them to fuck off with that "most powerful" narrative? Just a thought.
Dude your post is nonsense garbage. If you want to imply supporting multiple firmware is holding xbox back its not correct. You bring up a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with what i replied to.

Whataboutism doesnt change the fact the john from DF has also said tools are what is holding xbox back. Also likely related to how late we started seeing game footage. I think most are jumping the gun on this performance numbers.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So XSX got stomped again. PS5 is the best place to play the best exclusives and the best for of multiplats. XSX is the best place to play Gamepass, I guess. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

ps5vsxsxcod.png

Dude your post is nonsense garbage. If you want to imply supporting multiple firmware is holding xbox back its not correct. You bring up a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with what i replied to.

Whataboutism doesnt change the fact the john from DF has also said tools are what is holding xbox back. Also likely related to how late we started seeing game footage. I think most are jumping the gun on this performance numbers.
So you agree then, from your own words, that Microsoft likely already know before launch that Series X has worse multiplat performance than PS5. That they hid it for as long as they can by refusing to show multiplat gameplay, and that it wouldn't be fixed at launch.

Yes, sure. You are saying they can fix it. But then again, so did Sony with the PS3, But Sony took basically 3/4th of an entire gen to fix the issues with developing for PS3, so until we saw the results we can't be sure when the fix would actually arrive.

This leads to the only conclusion we can make; that Xbox Series X won't have first party exclusives for a long time, AND it wouldn't be the best place to play Multiplatform games pending future fixes, with no timetable?

So what is anyone buying Series X for?

reksveks

So you agree then, from your own words, that Microsoft likely already know before launch that Series X has worse multiplat performance than PS5. That they hid it for as long as they can by refusing to show multiplat gameplay, and that it wouldn't be fixed at launch.

Yes, sure. You are saying they can fix it. But then again, so did Sony with the PS3, But Sony took basically 3/4th of an entire gen to fix the issues with developing for PS3, so until we saw the results we can't be sure when the fix would actually arrive.

This leads to the only conclusion we can make; that Xbox Series X won't have first party exclusives for a long time, AND it wouldn't be the best place to play Multiplatform games pending future fixes, with no timetable?

So what is anyone buying Series X for?

Assuming that Microsoft had access to ps5 version of 3rd party games?
Assuming that Microsoft had control over publishers embargo's?

The first one is an extreme stretch.

So XSX got stomped again. PS5 is the best place to play the best exclusives and the best for of multiplats. XSX is the best place to play Gamepass, I guess. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

ps5vsxsxcod.png

oh no 117 fps vs 115 fps. biggest difference ever, hold the press. Totally stomped.
BTW: He was comparing an old XSX version vs a newer PS5 Version, not really a meaningful comparison. Should compare using both the same patches.
And how do you call Call of Duty Warzone, which is 120 FPS on XSX and only 60 FPS on PS5?

Or Rocket League, which will be soon 120 FPS on XSX and only 60 FPS on PS5?
Is PS5 stomped to death by XSX? Or how would you call that?

oh no 117 fps vs 115 fps. biggest difference ever, hold the press. Totally stomped.
BTW: He was comparing an old XSX version vs a newer PS5 Version, not really a meaningful comparison. Should compare using both the same patches.
And how do you call Call of Duty Warzone, which is 120 FPS on XSX and only 60 FPS on PS5?

At this point, "Soon" should be the official slogan of the Xbox Division.

I am happy for you, I really am. I am just not sure what is the point of paying for launch price, when you can just wait a while.

dotnotbot

Old games? ResidentSleeper

I am happy for you, I really am. I am just not sure what is the point of paying for launch price, when you can just wait a while.

Why soon? Call of Duty Warzone - the biggest call of duty multiplayer game - is already 120 FPS on XSX compared to 60 FPS on PS5. This is today. Nothing soon about that.

Garani

Assuming that Microsoft had access to ps5 version of 3rd party games?
Assuming that Microsoft had control over publishers embargo's?

The first one is an extreme stretch.

They are actually both credible.
- Microsoft can get access to PS5 version of 3rd party games and PS5's API and Dev Kits. Actually the moment that they publish something on PS5 (Obsidian and Mojang, I am looking at you) it means that Microsoft has access to Sony's IP.
- Microsoft is free to sign contracts with publishers to limit their embargo on competing platforms. It very much depends what all parties decide to deal with these things. After all a contract could even include limits to the performance of games on competing platform. I know, it's stupid and may be illegal, but you can try to govern it.

reksveks

They are actually both credible.
- Microsoft can get access to PS5 version of 3rd party games and PS5's API and Dev Kits. Actually the moment that they publish something on PS5 (Obsidian and Mojang, I am looking at you) it means that Microsoft has access to Sony's IP.
- Microsoft is free to sign contracts with publishers to limit their embargo on competing platforms. It very much depends what all parties decide to deal with these things. After all a contract could even include limits to the performance of games on competing platform. I know, it's stupid and may be illegal, but you can try to govern it.

They wouldn't have access to third party games unless the publishers pushed it to production servers that consumers could access and Sony definitely would be restricting devs from accessing other devs ip's. They probably would have access to the dev kits and the api's but only through Mojang. Obsidian isn't a Microsoft company yet.

The second one is possible but so is the theory that Sony or publisher placed those restrictions in place.

Last edited:

Garani

They wouldn't have access to third party games unless the publishers pushed it to production servers that consumers could access and Sony definitely would be restricting devs from accessing other devs ip's. They probably would have access to the dev kits but only through Mojang. Obsidian isn't a Microsoft company yet.

The second one is possible but so is the theory that Sony or publisher placed those restrictions in place.

Obsidian has been a Microsoft company since 2018: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian_Entertainment#2018–present:_Microsoft_acquisition But that's beside the point: whoever is approved by Sony to write software for the PS5 has access to Sony's API documentation and Devkits. Microsoft has known of PS5's capabilities for a long long time.

About the restriction, of course if so it would be anti-consumer and all hell would break loose. But it is a possibility.

Aceofspades

Banned
To the green team: I think the sooner you realize that PS5/XSX differences are very marginal at best the better for you going forward.

Since day 1 devs were saying that differences were very small with small benefits here and there for each side. Hell even this the latest quote from Matt about tools and general specs difference:

Everyone seems really hung up on the tools thing, which is a factor as I said, but the number one reason why these games run so similar is because these systems are incredibly close to each other in hardware performance.

It’s not much more complicated than that. Tools will get better and devs will get more experience with the hardware, but there is never going to be a giant gulf between the SX and the PS5, or even one nearly as large as between the PS4 and One or Pro and X.

reksveks

Obsidian has been a Microsoft company since 2018: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian_Entertainment#2018–present:_Microsoft_acquisition But that's beside the point: whoever is approved by Sony to write software for the PS5 has access to Sony's API documentation and Devkits. Microsoft has known of PS5's capabilities for a long long time.

About the restriction, of course if so it would be anti-consumer and all hell would break loose. But it is a possibility.
Sorry, had a brainfart and forgot that Obsidian got bought in 2018, think i just put them in the Bethesda bucket sadly. I am not arguing that Microsoft didn't know about the dev kits or the API but they wouldn't not have know how third party games would perform on it, they might have been able to make a guess but it would be lacking context, there is a number of different ways to determine performance. If GDK is coming in hot, maybe they were over-confident on that toolkit and how quickly devs would get used to it.

Last edited:

chilichote

Maybe they should rename their console to Soony Series X ... or better yet, Soony Polystation :messenger_winking_tongue:

YoodlePro

Old games? So this is the new goal now? It’s still 120 FPS on XSX vs 60 FPS on PS5. It’s a fact. Doesn’t matter how old or new a games is.
And that difference is much more noticeable than a 1-2 FPS difference.
Also, those games are way more played today and more important.
Are you being intentionally daft?

Warzone running at 120fps on XBOX and 60fps on PS5 has nothing to do with power. It's Sony's arguably bad BC philosophy. Warzone on PS5 is running in PS5 Pro mode.

So you're essentially comparing XSX to PS4 Pro, good job!

Now back to the new Call of Duty, which was built for XSX and PS5. It's really hard to swallow huh?

Garani

Sorry, had a brainfart and forgot that Obsidian got bought in 2018, think i just put them in the Bethesda bucket sadly. I am not arguing that Microsoft didn't know about the dev kits or the API but they wouldn't not have know how third party games would perform on it, they might have been able to make a guess but it would be lacking context, there is a number of different ways to determine performance. If GDK is coming in hot, maybe they were over-confident on that toolkit and how quickly devs would get used to it.

Naaa, don't worry about date. We all get things messed up (I was sure it was 2019, but than again I had to stand corrected by Wikipedia).

I believe that MS, having strong deals with the likes of Ubisoft, plus having access to Sony's Devkits and API, were very aware of what was happening and how things were going to pl,ay out. Of course their hardware choices were already made by that time, and they can't do much other than get their firmware and drivers more performant. But other than that, you can't really do much.

Gudji

PS5 is and it will continue to be the best place to play for a very long time. Third party games performance is going to end up being a wash or insignificant in the majority of titles. There's no reason to get XSX for 3rd party when the performance will be identical on PS5 and it offers a better experience overall, unless your friends play on that platform of course.

As I've been saying for a long time there's only one thing that really matters: GAMES.

reksveks

Naaa, don't worry about date. We all get things messed up (I was sure it was 2019, but than again I had to stand corrected by Wikipedia).

I believe that MS, having strong deals with the likes of Ubisoft, plus having access to Sony's Devkits and API, were very aware of what was happening and how things were going to pl,ay out. Of course their hardware choices were already made by that time, and they can't do much other than get their firmware and drivers more performant. But other than that, you can't really do much.
I will be interested to see what does these performance number look like in 3 months time but as a series S owner, not massively invested regarding performance on console (that's for my pc if my GPU ever gets here).

iNvlaqi.gif

APGSUai.png

r4iyEaL.png

4jLTDIB.png

IM0zXGY.png

uu49rHw.png

TLDR: Enjoy the games on your platform of choice.
But if you choose Series X because of the belief that it would run third party games the best... Well, good luck to you.

I still remember the mutiple posters who tell me to my face that Series X has to run games better than PS5 as a fact. All the while Microsoft delayed showing the truth as long as possible.

I am not saying the console war is over. But right now PS5 has effectively neutralized Series X in every way possible. Sony doesn't need to defeat Xbox to win next gen; Sony just need to stop Xbox from progressing. And it looks like they are achieving that. And the inertia/momentum from being the biggest platform world wide would do the rest.

Matthias

Neo Member
But if you choose Series X because of the belief that it would run third party games the best... Well, good luck to you.

I still remember the mutiple posters who tell me to my face that Series X has to run games better than PS5 as a fact. All the while Microsoft delayed showing the truth as long as possible.

I am not saying the console war is over. But right now PS5 has effectively neutralized Series X in every way possible. Sony doesn't need to defeat Xbox to win next gen; Sony just need to stop Xbox from progressing. And it looks like they are achieving that. And the inertia/momentum from being the biggest platform world wide would do the rest.

Stop your horses mate.
Everyone says that the SDK of the new Xboxes is underdeveloped and far from perfect. I even read that there is no RDNA 2 support yet - and the SDKs are underdeveloped, because Microsoft waited until the last minute to be able to fully implement them.

The differences are absolutely minimal right now, but you won't tell me the launch titles are some sort of oracle as they were all designed for PS4 / Xone?

Last edited:

Stuart360

Is this real?

mgxr3k4s85z51.jpg

There was a thread about it, but it got locked due to conflicting reports. I would of thought it would be out in the open if that was real though.

Nowcry

Stop your horses mate.
Everyone says that the SDK of the new Xboxes is underdeveloped and far from perfect. I even read that there is no RDNA 2 support yet - and the SDKs are underdeveloped, because Microsoft waited until the last minute to be able to fully implement them.

The differences are absolutely minimal right now, but you won't tell me the launch titles are some sort of oracle as they were all designed for PS4 / Xone?

the point is that MS has its slogan of the most powerful console in the world and is not even the marginal winner.

MS does not have exclusive games and has based all its marketing on power and is ultimately the loser even in that stretch.

I do not see the point of buying a console where the multis are slightly lower that does not have games and that could be $ 100 more expensive and all this without dual sense and is not well prepared for UE5 nanite where MS will see the next scare.

This in clear disadvantage, it is not necessary to paint it of another form. ms nerd hard world now with the games and with the gamepad. forget about your most powerful narrative and start with the games narrative.

however still too green for when you can do it we will be waiting for the midgen. so it seems totally unproductive to buy an Sx with a much lower use value compared to the competition. And so you hope to get 90M subscribers of the gamepass to make it profitable?

at this point the comparisons no longer matter, MS must get down to work and its fans demand it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom