• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamWeb

During rendering, yeah. But the speed of the I/O will dictate how much RAM you need reserved for what's not in your FOV. Hence it will affect the quality of assets, unless you don't mind the game stalling just so it can load what it needs for the time it needs to do it.
But you do not need more than a few gigabytes of data per scene. Also there is no constant loading of data from the drive. The key will be the quality of compression and data sampling in RAM, almost always.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
edit:

The phone app has options to subscribe to 360 deg audio services and has a part where you have to photograph your ear from two angles for upload to cloud for analysis - like Cerny talked about for the Tempest engine :)

That ear photo should be useful for PS5 semi-HRTF for casuals like me who don't have access to high-end HRTF measurements! This is the app on smartphones:

sony-360ra-ear-photos-100828881-large.jpg

I am hoping the 1000xm4 are compatible...they will be Sony's consumer flagship model and should probably contain the same features as a platinum, albeit at a more premium price point

All will be compatible with PS5, the older and current (XM3) and future (XM4) if it supports LDAC, which is already a Sony tech. I'm pretty excited to see reviews of XM4 with PS5 compared to PS headsets.

Skyrim-8K-landscape-mod-672x372.jpg
Skyrim has an 8K texture mod which comes in at 5.5GB. 8K might not be that taxing on space after all.

Although they might be 8K assets, they're probably compressed. Sounds like a great deal if it can turn out being great and sustains enough 8K details.

NVMe is just the software communication protocol.
Sony can use any custom protocol without any hardware change... they can for a sample just to update the drive firmware with the new protocol via PS5 when first used.

I doubt that, and I'll talk about it extensively later. 12 Channels vs 4 Channel, 6 priority level vs 2 P.L. It's physical, can't be fixed with software or even black magic.

Last edited:

geordiemp

According to some tweets from guy who created nanintes , this technology heavily relays on ACE ( asynchronous compute engine ). ACE is part of GPU like a CU. PS4 has 8 ACEs and xbox one has two. RDNA2 should have 4 ACEs. Still even if the count be the same for PS5 and XSX, PlayStation should be faster due to the faster clock speed. But BC could be harder to manage due 4 less ACE 😬And given that they stayed at 36 CU to make BC easier on hardware ... So my point is SSD is part of their story. I/O is another part of the story. Mesh shaders ? They are already dated if you ask me.

Do we know if Sony stuck with teh 8 Ace of Ps4 or went back to 4 ? Imagine if Sony stuck with 8 lol

SamWeb

That ear photo should be useful for PS5 semi-HRTF for casuals like me who don't have access to high-end HRTF measurements! This is the app on smartphones:

All will be compatible with PS5, the older and current (XM3) and future (XM4) if it supports LDAC, which is already a Sony tech. I'm pretty excited to see reviews of XM4 with PS5 compared to PS headsets.

Although they might be 8K assets, they're probably compressed. Sounds like a great deal if it can turn out being great and sustains enough 8K details.

I doubt that, and I'll talk about it extensively later. 12 Channels vs 4 Channel, 6 priority level vs 2 P.L. It's physical, can't be fixed with software even with black magic.
Creative Super X-Fi :messenger_neutral:

Screenshot_20190118-145442-e1547844788716.jpg

Thirty7ven

Banned
But you do not need more than a few gigabytes of data per scene. Also there is no constant loading of data from the drive. The key will be the quality of compression and data sampling in RAM, almost always.

Oh, so it's the compression and the sampling. I see :messenger_winking:

When you say a few gigabytes what are you talking about? Tell me a number.

And explain why there won't be constant streaming of data please.

FeiRR

Banned
Interesting, let’s see what Series X creators have to say about the SSD.

“... we are using the SSD as virtual ram”
“... What I’m most excited about...”
“...The combination of the SOC and the SSD is what give you a TOTALLY new experience...”
“...we can actually generate more life in that world..”

yeah, SSD isn’t important for Microsoft...

"we've created a new generation of SSDs"

Yeah, right. You have, Microsoft.

SamWeb

Oh, so it's the compression and the sampling. I see :messenger_winking:

When you say a few gigabytes what are you talking about? Tell me a number.

And explain why there won't be constant streaming of data please.
Number? The number of available RAM? This is the correct answer.

just do not say that you believe in unlimited game worlds.... :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
This isn't like last gen. Cerny believes that fewer, faster ACEs are better now. (Or cheaper on the silicone budget).

What about BC? It's not like the PS5 has less CUs than the PS4 PRo. Makes sense to have the same number of ACEs and ROPS. At least.

Number? The number of available RAM? This is the correct answer.

just do not say that you believe in unlimited game worlds.... :messenger_grinning:

Oh I believe in what developers are saying, there's really no two ways about it for me.

And considering you're not even trying to follow up on what you're saying, I'm guessing you're about as far from a game developer as it gets.

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

Impossible due to SSD? But wouldn't XSX's higher memory b/w and computational power make this demo run at slightly higher fps/resolution than PS5 on Series X?

If it relies on ps5 level streaming speed something will have to give.

My question is given the assets were way too much to fit into ram does that mean the ram was maxed out?

If so then the XSX would be full too and what happens when the faster portion is filled? Does it then limit the overall bandwidth with needing that slower ram?

If so then that's a problem.

This is the funny part. MS has a super fast SSD. Much faster than a SATA 500 MB/s SSD in PC's that blows away the typical HDD drive. But because the competition has a faster drive, fanboys are downplaying the biggest feature in their (soon to be) preferred console.

It's cognitive dissonance at its finest

You must look at the details. PS5's SSD is not just 100 times faster than PS4's storage solution. Cerny said they aimed to also make the I/O 100 times faster too i.e the efficiency of communication between the SSD and game code, which is equally as important.

This explains it better:

On top of all the work they've done in this area, the PS5 SSD also has 12-memory channels, which again is an attempt to remove bottlenecks. So they've done all this work so that in 0.25 of a second iirc, 2GB of game assets (i.e textures) can be loaded, which is game changing for graphics as this is faster than a character can turn his FOV in a game.

When it comes to Series X, yes absolutely it has a very fast SSD. But it's not only slower in raw read/write speed in comparison, it's I/O is also slower based on our best evidence. We don't know exactly what it is capable of until MS says more, but based on what we know 2GB of assets would take 0.50 secs to load on Series X but only assuming MS has done as extensive work to the I/O as Cerny detailed for the PS5, which seems unlikely at this point.

ZeroFool

Bruh, no!

Behold the PS4 twin:

I was going to go with the Porsche Hybrid LMP1 car, watching the videos of that is amazing. It reminds me of early GT or Forza games when they were barely working in the LMP prototypes. They were on rails and some fakery was helping you drive no matter what you turned off. Well that Porsche seems to match that bonkers physics defying ability.

(note: I am a racer and driver coach, so do not let me post in any of the racing threads)

ToadMan

Biggest difference will be the marketing I reckon.

Microsoft will be able to build their marketing around power and Sony will market around speed.

If Sony can build marketing around 1 or 2 seconds loading of a game, that will allow for great ads. Really short ads at it.

But marketing those things is just nerd stuff in the end.

I think as usual it'll come down to exclusives - and MS will come up short again. There's not enough money for MS to buy their way in, they tried that already and failed. Then they waited too long to get a first party set of studios together after canning their X360 stable. By the time they can release anything Sony will already be well in the lead sales-wise and there's no guarantee what MS do release will be any good - their track record is pretty average.

If any of the arguing back and forth about power actually mattered, Nintendo would've been out of the console business 20 years ago.

Games Dean

you specifically said it will crash xbsex or pc, and it looks like it is not a case, it’s not mentioned anywhere that it would crash any other system, another example of fud by you. It might not run the same (I suspect that xbsex and high end pc will result in higher native res and better FPS) but it will run, it will not crush these systems.

all of the effects and tech in that demo will run on both pc and xbsex

There's a difference between the tech being able to run on XSX and PC (which it obviously does) and the demo being able to (We have no evidence that it does or doesn't). So let's stop treating speculation as fact. Or better yet move on because this topic as a whole is played out.

tmlDan

You must look at the details. PS5's SSD is not just 100 times faster than PS4's storage solution. Cerny said they aimed to also make the I/O 100 times faster too i.e the efficiency of communication between the SSD and game code, which is equally as important.

This explains it better:

On top of all the work they've done in this area, the PS5 SSD also has 12-memory channels, which again is an attempt to remove bottlenecks. So they've done all this work so that in 0.25 of a second iirc, 2GB of game assets (i.e textures) can be loaded, which is game changing for graphics as this is faster than a character can turn his FOV in a game.

When it comes to Series X, yes absolutely it has a very fast SSD. But it's not only slower in raw read/write speed in comparison, it's I/O is also slower based on our best evidence. We don't know exactly what it is capable of until MS says more, but based on what we know 2GB of assets would take 0.50 secs to load on Series X but only assuming MS has done as extensive work to the I/O as Cerny detailed for the PS5, which seems unlikely at this point.

Ever since this guys video was linked, i've been watching his content - he's super informed and even mentions getting high level specs for PS5 almost 2 years ago when at EA. To think they had this info 2 years ago really shows nobody is/was unprepared to release their next gen consoles.

Can't wait for the following parts covering the second half of the presentation.

BGs

Industry Professional
BGs also liked one of my posts where I said PS5 was probably 12-13 teraflops, so take whatever he says with a truckload of salt.

We should analyze this "Like" and the reasons for it before being disappointed.

"PS5 is not 9.2"

Right.

"PS5 is greater than 10."

Right.

"PS5 is at 12-13."

Right, thats nunber is in puberty range.

So tell me, what is the reason why I could not like your comment?

If you want to base it in numbers, in your case, assuming 10.28 like reality then 10.28 x between 1.20-1.25 (Rdna1 factor) = between 12.33-12.85 (gnc equivalence). In range with your numeric assumption 12-13. But in reality it was 10.28 x 1.5 (rdna2) = 15.42 (gnc). In any case it is still puberty.

Even so if you don't like my Like I can take it from you if you want :messenger_blowing_kiss:

It is also a theoretical conversion factor that only serves as a "guide". Or so that now you can go out there saying that I have said that PS5 has 15.42 TF. Hey! But take it like a little salt. :messenger_winking:

Edit. Sorry, I have not specified it. In my case, the Like was only for one of these statements. Another day, when I put a like, I will accompany you with an explanatory answer.

Last edited:

saintjules

I doubt that, and I'll talk about it extensively later. 12 Channels vs 4 Channel, 6 priority level vs 2 P.L. It's physical, can't be fixed with software even with black magic.
Creative Super X-Fi :messenger_neutral:

Screenshot_20190118-145442-e1547844788716.jpg

Since I don't use headphones to game, I'm curious to know how this might work with Home Theater.

Thirty7ven

Banned
But marketing those things is just nerd stuff in the end.

I think as usual it'll come down to exclusives - and MS will come up short again. There's not enough money for MS to buy their way in, they tried that already and failed. Then they waited too long to get a first party set of studios together after canning their X360 stable. By the time they can release anything Sony will already be well in the lead sales-wise and there's no guarantee what MS do release will be any good - their track record is pretty average.

If any of the arguing back and forth about power actually mattered, Nintendo would've been out of the console business 20 years ago.

Obviously Playstation has a brand and fanbase advantage, but Sony can absolutely drop the ball. Marketing isn't for nerds, it's for everyone else. Nerds will know all about these consoles before they release.

There are a ton of factors that go into it. One of them is just a person plainly walking into a store and seeing those console stands, and one of them will just pique their interest. Based on looks alone.

I do agree, and honestly I just dismiss anyone who debates this, Sony exclusives can't be compared to MS ones overall, they just can't. But Sony can fuck it up, because they aren't exactly growing their output from what I can tell. Quite the opposite, and adding Insomniac to WWS was cool and all but these studios are taking four to five years to release games? What the fuck man. Really becomes a case where if you get two or three flops in a row it becomes pretty grim.

ZeroFool

The good news here is both companies have arrived at a new paradigm of storage speed and IO implementations.

It should benefit AMD in the PC space first, Intel might have to play catchup.

In the console space we do still have a bit of wait and see. Sony will probably be first out of the gate with next gen only games.

The most important thing is look at what the 1st party and good 3rd party Studios have achieved over the years. Then look at the leaps to nextgen with higher performance cpu, gpu, and the of course totally new SSD framework. I am honestly excited, we are going to play freaking amazing games soon!

My only hope is we get longer experiences, and not some of the short 8-hour campaigns that plagued the last two generations. It will be interesting to see how both systems truly shake out in the 3rd party or low budget teams. 1st party though!!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The good news here is both companies have arrived at a new paradigm of storage speed and IO implementations.

It should benefit AMD in the PC space first, Intel might have to play catchup.

In the console space we do still have a bit of wait and see. Sony will probably be first out of the gate with next gen only games.

The most important thing is look at what the 1st party and good 3rd party Studios have achieved over the years. Then look at the leaps to nextgen with higher performance cpu, gpu, and the of course totally new SSD framework. I am honestly excited, we are going to play freaking amazing games soon!

My only hope is we get longer experiences, and not some of the short 8-hour campaigns that plagued the last two generations. It will be interesting to see how both systems truly shake out in the 3rd party or low budget teams. 1st party though!!

Outside of The Order and maybe R&C, what Sony 1P AAA was less than 14+ hours?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

"PS5 is not 9.2"

Right.

Right.

"PS5 is at 12-13."

If you want to base it in numbers, in your case, assuming 10.28 like reality then 10.28 x between 1.20-1.25 (Rdna1 factor) = between 12.33-12.85 (gnc equivalence). In range with your numeric assumption 12-13. But in reality it was 10.28 x 1.5 (rdna2) = 15.42 (gnc). In any case it is still puberty.

Even so if you don't like my Like I can take it from you if you want :messenger_blowing_kiss:

It is also a theoretical conversion factor that only serves as a "guide". Or so that now you can go out there saying that I have said that PS5 has 15.42 TF. Hey! But take it like a little salt. :messenger_winking:

Edit. Sorry, I have not specified it. In my case, the Like was only for one of these statements. Another day, when I put a like, I will accompany you with an explanatory answer.
Does anybody in here know a relative on the other side called David.
Does anybody know or maybe worked with a David who is no longer with us.
Does anybody know somebody who has passed with the letter A in their name.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Ed Boon mentioned that people may be underestimating the impact of the near-instant loading times.
It’s funny when these new consoles come out and everybody goes “ok what do the graphics look like?” I think people are underestimating the impact that the almost zero loading time is going to have.

That’s suddenly going to open doors that weren’t considered possible before and I think we haven’t even scratched the surface of what will eventually be done with those systems.”
From our perspective, we are also looking at the other games that are coming out and are excited about them.

We’re all gamers too, so everybody is kinda like… we’re part of that audience. We’re sitting there seeing… I was riveted watching the PS5 and Unreal 5 demo and going “that can’t be real! Come on! That can’t be real!” We’re all fans of that. ”

[…]

To me, the graphics are kinda like a given. Ok the graphics are going to be better, but this new memory of handling memory and loading and stuff like that is going to be huge.”

IkarugaDE

"PS5 is not 9.2"

Right.

Right.

"PS5 is at 12-13."

Funny times where a like means an approve or a verification that a post is true.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Impossible due to SSD? But wouldn't XSX's higher memory b/w and computational power make this demo run at slightly higher fps/resolution than PS5 on Series X?

Great questions, and it's time to give this matter more attention, let's forget 5.5GB/s vs 2.4GB/s or even 7GB/s max PCIe 4.0 for a moment now:

Current NVMe m.2 uses 4-8 channels vs 12 channels on PS5, XSX uses 4 channels according to Phison E19:

PS5 has 6 priority levels vs 2 priority levels on NVMe m.2:

Why 6 priority levels is crucial for gaming and how 2 priority levels can be a massive downgrade to game design and logic:

On other platforms with a slower SSD speed/design that can't keep up they might cripple in framerates, especially when turning around or moving:

Now, the issue with traditional GPU caches is they all flush everything and bring new data everytime, that could damage the GPU performance no matter how powerful it is and cause stalls. The GPU cache scrubbers, first of their kind and exclusive to PS5, along with coherency engines help to only take out unwanted data and keep what's needed and replace the space with new data, helping it to produce a seamless transition and maximum utilization of GPU/CPU/RAM and less bandwidth used as well.

Now, the PS5 I/O itself is as powerful as 11.5 to 12 ZEN2 cores, meaning to compensate for it alone you might need Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX processor, 24 core and you'll still fall short when The Tempest 3D Audio engine thrown to the mix, a GPU-based, SPU-like. Let's not forget Windows OS compared to simple API's.

While the NVMe m.2 has 2 priority levels:

0Yd5f.jpg

PS5's custom SSD has 6 to make 6 different orders:

infrastructure-660.jpg

And while PS5's SSD uses 12 channels to fully reach its optimal 5.5GB/s raw, XSX SSD cramps into 4 channels which could cause more heat, throttling, and latency. So the 5.5GB/s vs 2.4GB/s direct comparison is not viable, and the difference in hardware is quite big and can't be bridged through software or even make the starting point 5.5 vs 2.4 possible.

It's very, very complicated to try and replicate PS5's overall SSD and I/O performance on PC's, and yes it's currently impossible without major architectural changes. We still need to see the placement of PS5's SSD, it can be extremely close, stacked, to even make us understand how insanely hard to beat it in the near future without assistance from massive RAM sizes.

Remember, 12 channels and 6 priority levels, and the later is crucial for game design and logic. Even if both are 2.4GB/s or 5.5GB/s PS5's customization will still give it the upper hand.

I believe Sony is working on a new architecture for m.2 drives along with other companies that's superior to current NVMe, and they just don't wanna spoil it right now.

More educated people in the matter may contribute or correct me here.

Last edited:

ToadMan

"SSD belive" still alive... LOL :messenger_grinning_squinting:

the quality of UE5 assets during rendering will depend on the amount of free RAM, level of data compression and the bandwidth of RAM... SSD speed does not play the main role here
UE5 Nanites is a kind of mesh shading as part of textures obtained by converting data

Microsoft talked about this back in March.
Advanced Mesh Shaders | Martin Fuller | DirectX Developer Day

It's a simple concept. Assuming for a moment that PS5 and xsex have the same amount of available RAM - 11Gb just for argument sake - the PS5 can load that in 2 seconds while xsex takes 4.5 seconds. Simplisitically speaking to maintain the same frame-rate the xsex has to use data which is half the size - or half as detailed. This is before considering the non unified RAM of the xsex and the different GPU architecture of the systems.

Ultimately the trade off is what percentage of the RAM is visible on screen now and how much RAM is holding data for what isn't on the screen yet but may be in future. A fast SSD allows a higher percentage of RAM to hold data that is visible on screen right now which translates to higher fidelity graphics.

In principle. In practice there are all kinds of other factors - but the SSD is a key element in keeping tghe whole pipeline optimised. Dismissing that speed is a mistake.

ACEs schedule work to be done on the CU during their down time. If utilised a lot with useful work then you can get closer to that theoretical 100% CU occupancy (10/12TF).

I’m not sure what impact having more ACEs has, but the work is still carried out on the CUs as far as I understand it.

BGs

Industry Professional
Does anybody in here know a relative on the other side called David.
Does anybody know or maybe worked with a David who is no longer with us.
Does anybody know somebody who has passed with the letter A in their name.
¿? Sorry, I don't understand you.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
we want concrete info on ssd latency over that.

edit :

Variable refresh rate (VRR): When games miss their frames, VRR will show the result with the lowest possible latency. 120 Hz TVs that support VRR typically have very large timing windows which makes above 40 FPS performance free of screen tearing.

why a 40 fps threshold....this is a so bad choice.

I've never seen screen tearing before, only read and see it on the web and youtube. Maybe it's a TV thing as well? Not sure.

juaco1993

Neo Member
"Sony president and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida released the hype engines on the PlayStation 5, where he recently said that the PS5 will be "100 times faster" than the PS4. Yoshida hyped the PlayStation 5 up during Sony's recent corporate marketing strategy meeting, where he said that the PS5 is "100 times faster" than the PS4.

Yoshida continued: "In order to further enhance the sense of immersion in games, we expect to improve not just the resolution, but the speed of games. For example, through a custom‐designed high‐speed SSD, we plan to realize game data processing speeds that are approximately 100 times faster than PS4".

He added: "Game load times should be much shorter, and players should be able to move through immense game worlds in almost an instant".

I am waiting for a random Chinese engineer to swoop in and tell Yoshida his "custom-designed high-speed SSD" is found in some laptop, lying around in their office, somewhere.
Right. A verification about PS5 is not 9.2 and is bigger than 10. The other numbers is from her assumption bassed on my "puberty" definition.

Hey man, did you guys receive the updated devkit already? If you can't answer because of anything just drop a thoughtful reaction.

Cheers!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I actually think (opinion), based on the MS demos so far of fast loading and fast resume demos, I just think MS is still working on changing how data is accessed on the SSD to help remove "some of the latency", Hence the 100 GB comments, think its a different paging memory access system which is just not ready yet hence we have no good demos just walls of text and marketing words.

Yes XSX will run stuff like this well, so will PCs, but will need changes to api / storage and whatever to do at such high resolutions. A ps4 / xb1 can run that demo, but at either lower resolution / detail or probably both.

I just think Sony is just further down the fast SSD line by a long way at this point in time, but we need XSX to be also fast enough so 3rd party go all in.

I think Sonys SSD and Epics demo has cauight so many by surprise a little - just my opinion.

If MS is ready, we will see games loading in 1 second any time now............

I like that GIf sorry, could not resist ...

I think the software narrowing the gap is wishful thinking, it's a massive physical difference between the two: 12 channels vs 4 channels, 6 priority levels vs 2 priority levels. PS5's GPU cache scrubbers, coherency engines assisting them, allowing for less crowded data transfer and less bandwidth usage. Plus the super powerful I/O is equivalent to ~12x Zen2 cores. And that's while the Tempest doing most of the work for audio, leaving the main CPU cores playing UNO.

No software or wet dream could skip all of these. (opinion) :messenger_winking_tongue:

yewles1

"PS5 is not 9.2"

Right.

Right.

"PS5 is at 12-13."

Question, CAN we confirm RDNA2 is a 25% increase in performance per clock/FLOP over RDNA1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom