• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEXT LEVEL lames™] ResetEra sold to M.O.B.A. Network for USD$4.55 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkylineRKR

ERA are not leftists. Its the same as saying Right Wing people are nazi. This isn't true either. They're extremists. And left or right extremists have nothing to do with regular left or right wing voters. Extremists are generally psychopaths. They sow chaos and fear under the pretense of a certain political viewpoint. But all they want to do is erase a certain type of crowd.

I don't think a regular leftist is going to throwing out a party when someone like Trump actually dies, esp. if its at behest of murder. But extremists will march the streets and party. We've seen lots of Ree members celebrating or wishing these kinds of things. They're just morons.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The Resetera team will cope just fine by staying miserable 🤷‍♂️
Fun stuff will start once MOBA begins to run Resetera their way.
Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

To be more precise: for most of Era, the leftist ideals are an act. I know, because I'm leftist. They hide behind the pretense of a good fight (equity, salary raises, unions, no crunch, no toxic masculinity, inclusion, etc.) to throw mud on companies they already disliked to begin with, playing outrage for brownie points that the rest of the community and staff loves. But as soon as problems arise from companies, celebrities, brands they love, they happily brush all that away, either relativizing it ("could be worse", "other companies have this too", "what are you gonna do, nothing can ever change") or straight-up defending the slimy shit (we had several peeps in the Insomniac threads implying the worker may be lying - funny that, a website literally founded on the back of the #metoo movement conveniently not believing a victim).

Also look at the staff. You have Nepenthe constantly ramble about all white people being racists and constantly deflecting accusations against her as "it's only because I'm a black woman". You had Windrunner piss folks off with victim blaming islamophobic drivel that not only she discussed on Era, but also felt the need to double down on in Discords. You had staff (Transistor, I think?) come into a Naughty Dog thread to point out they will no longer tolerate people derailing hype threads with such uninteresting talk as crunching and workplace abuse at Era's favourite game developer.

It's easy for them to call boycotts on EA or Ubisoft or try to get Cyberpunk or Hogwarts banned: those are the kind of AAA games they actively despise anyway. Easy to score community cred by pretending you're making a huge stand against FIFA's lootbox-filled Ultimate Team if you last bought a FIFA a decade ago in a used game bin for a fiver and you don't give a fuck about the sport. But as soon as their own habits or tastes risk getting challenged by an uncomfortable revelation, they just brush it to the side, and suddenly all the leftist values they supposedly believe in stop existing, with them happily take talking points from the right-wing discussions too if it suits their narrative better.

It took me a long time to realize, but most of the core members and staff do not actually believe in the political ideologies the site enforces. It's just marketing, them wanting to be the de facto leftist gaming forum because most gaming communities don't gravitate that way and it's a huge untapped market. But at every outrage (or lack thereof), their real colours get shown more and more.

I think them trying to defend Cerium's 4.5m as a "middle wage salary" is the absolutely worst betrayal of their ideology, and the most disgusting thing about their denials about the buyout. They know damn well that most of the accounts they banned are people who may never see a sieven - or even six-digit sum of money in their entire lives, and they dared to decry their "privilege" and "whiteness" (regardless of how white you actually are, or are not) while Cerium effectively makes off like a bandit.

Filben

4,55 million and you couldn't and still won't pay moderators? How are moderators and people okay with that?

I get that you maybe would work voluntarily at your local soup kitchen, that doesn't earn shit as profit, to help real people in a real place without any advertising and information and data collecting business to it.

I'm glad I turned my back on this hypocritical and fascist forum months ago. I enjoyed discussions in video game (only) threads, but even there you're tip-toeing around bans and a single wrong word get you banned. I can pass on that.

cormack12

Gold Member
To be more precise: for most of Era, the leftist ideals are an act. I know, because I'm leftist. They hide behind the pretense of a good fight (equity, salary raises, unions, no crunch, no toxic masculinity, inclusion, etc.) to throw mud on companies they already disliked to begin with, playing outrage for brownie points that the rest of the community and staff loves. But as soon as problems arise from companies, celebrities, brands they love, they happily brush all that away, either relativizing it ("could be worse", "other companies have this too", "what are you gonna do, nothing can ever change") or straight-up defending the slimy shit (we had several peeps in the Insomniac threads implying the worker may be lying - funny that, a website literally founded on the back of the #metoo movement conveniently not believing a victim).

Also look at the staff. You have Nepenthe constantly ramble about all white people being racists and constantly deflecting accusations against her as "it's only because I'm a black woman". You had Windrunner piss folks off with victim blaming islamophobic drivel that not only she discussed on Era, but also felt the need to double down on in Discords. You had staff (Transistor, I think?) come into a Naughty Dog thread to point out they will no longer tolerate people derailing hype threads with such uninteresting talk as crunching and workplace abuse at Era's favourite game developer.

It's easy for them to call boycotts on EA or Ubisoft or try to get Cyberpunk or Hogwarts banned: those are the kind of AAA games they actively despise anyway. Easy to score community cred by pretending you're making a huge stand against FIFA's lootbox-filled Ultimate Team if you last bought a FIFA a decade ago in a used game bin for a fiver and you don't give a fuck about the sport. But as soon as their own habits or tastes risk getting challenged by an uncomfortable revelation, they just brush it to the side, and suddenly all the leftist values they supposedly believe in stop existing, with them happily take talking points from the right-wing discussions too if it suits their narrative better.

It took me a long time to realize, but most of the core members and staff do not actually believe in the political ideologies the site enforces. It's just marketing, them wanting to be the de facto leftist gaming forum because most gaming communities don't gravitate that way and it's a huge untapped market. But at every outrage (or lack thereof), their real colours get shown more and more.
ShySharpAmurstarfish-size_restricted.gif

Meicyn

Gold Member

A lot of this reminds me of when Arriana Huffington sold The Huffington Post like a decade ago. It was built off the backs of writers who espoused leftist ideals and anti corporate messaging. Then Arriana sold it for $300M and the backlash played out much like it did for Resetera. Some folks were livid, and others were all “…I like writing for free” or whatever and the whole situation was weird.

That’s pretty much how this whole thing is with Resetera. It’s really weird to be okay with being blatantly exploited to this degree. Unless they ARE getting money in some capacity from Cerium and don’t want to talk about it publicly. Either way, hypocrisy is at the forefront for a forum that’s all “fuck capitalism and/or landlords” twice a month.

If I still had an account, I’d ask their community which mod they think MOBA is gonna fire first.

Those thankless, selfless volunteers deserve better. At least give them resetera clear as a parting gift.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If I still had an account, I’d ask their community which mod they think MOBA is gonna fire first.
Ohhh that would really make the shit hit the fan.
Most would probably act in solidarity to each other. But one or two would let slip somehow what mod they hate and should deserve to go. Ahahahahha

SkylineRKR

Who was the worst old mod of GAF?

besada
Bishoptl
Amir0x
Dragona Akehi
y2kev

Cheers to the other old-school GAF heads who remember these names, may they be cursed for all eternity.

y2Kev seemed okay to me. At least on the gaming side.

The others were trash. Dragona was this ultra feminist aka perfect Ree material. Amir0x, well, hes in jail for a reason lol. Bishoptl was totally unreasonable, and dog pilers would always call for him. Nepenthe is kind of a carbon copy of him. Besada can't remember much about, but I think he did some shit too.

Who was the worst old mod of GAF?

besada
Bishoptl
Amir0x
Dragona Akehi
y2kev

Cheers to the other old-school GAF heads who remember these names, may they be cursed for all eternity.
I remember bish going into some threads and leaving them a graveyard..and those were the ones that were above board…evilore spent a great deal of time going through the records to unban many of his silent bans but there were probably a lot more.

interesting that he went to ree as a vip member and suddenly stopped posting on his username …my guess is they changed his name around the time they started digging up all the shit here he left which is what they do when they get caught out with anything

they changed a heap of prominent posters names when that pedo stuff was uncovered…some members accused of encouraging doxxing and wishing people to suicide suddenly disappeared without a trace and there are a number of other examples of crap being brushed under the rug and the offender getting a new username to post with

it’s also the reason that nepenthine is a mod…bdubbs decided the best way to address his racist posts someone dug up was to make a black woman with a case of anti white racism into a moderator position as penance and their users now have this angry black furry throwing out racial slurs and banning people who don’t fall in line with her views

Bdubbs is to much of a pussy to do anything about it so we get to enjoy the shit show

I remember bish going into some threads and leaving them a graveyard..and those were the ones that were above board…evilore spent a great deal of time going through the records to unban many of his silent bans but there were probably a lot more.

interesting that he went to ree as a vip member and suddenly stopped posting on his username …my guess is they changed his name around the time they started digging up all the shit here he left which is what they do when they get caught out with anything

they changed a heap of prominent posters names when that pedo stuff was uncovered…some members accused of encouraging doxxing and wishing people to suicide suddenly disappeared without a trace and there are a number of other examples of crap being brushed under the rug and the offender getting a new username to post with

it’s also the reason that nepenthine is a mod…bdubbs decided the best way to address his racist posts someone dug up was to make a black woman with a case of anti white racism into a moderator position as penance and their users now have this angry black furry throwing out racial slurs and banning people who don’t fall in line with her views

Bdubbs is to much of a pussy to do anything about it so we get to enjoy the shit show
Is the politically correct term for an angry black furry a grizzly bear?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
ERA are not leftists. Its the same as saying Right Wing people are nazi. This isn't true either. They're extremists. And left or right extremists have nothing to do with regular left or right wing voters. Extremists are generally psychopaths. They sow chaos and fear under the pretense of a certain political viewpoint. But all they want to do is erase a certain type of crowd.

I don't think a regular leftist is going to throwing out a party when someone like Trump actually dies, esp. if its at behest of murder. But extremists will march the streets and party. We've seen lots of Ree members celebrating or wishing these kinds of things. They're just morons.

10% rule.

10% on both sides of the political debate are the extremists. The absolute wankers. The power tripping little people, with low self esteem and a bitter, twisted outlook on the world. Social media empowers them. Makes their voices louder than they would be otherwise… and they fucking love it.

The actual ideologies of left and right are purely secondary to having something to bash other people with. They latch onto things that they can use as weapons against other people.

Racism for the hardcore Era crowd isn’t about stopping racism. It’s about using racism as a tool to undermine or denigrate other people.

Once you realise that everything they say and do is designed to increase their feelings of power ahead of all other considerations, you understand why moderation on Era is so terrible.

They are classic bullies - generally people with a low sense of self worth, who can only make themselves feel better by hurting and punishing others. And like all bullies, you either stand up to the cunts, or walk the fuck away.

You don’t hang around, enabling them and their poisonous, self serving discourse.

Marvel14

Banned
Can someone post this on Resetera even though it will be taken down? It deserves to be a sticky thread over there....

Gifmaker

Yup. And they are no different than any other corporation. And they even have a publicly traded stock, so you know their focus is profits to appease shareholders. They got the usual high ranking employees and board of directors.

Let's see how ballsy the mods are at criticizing corporate life and execs going forward.

Here's a fun idea, let's get GAF together and buy MOBA shares. I mean, if we were shareholders, that would give us indirect control over REEE. Can't be too hard to get Nepenthe & company fired in no-time, lmao

SkylineRKR

Here's a fun idea, let's get GAF together and buy MOBA shares. I mean, if we were shareholders, that would give us indirect control over REEE. Can't be too hard to get Nepenthe & company fired in no-time, lmao
If MOBA is just a little bit sane they probably won't keep Nepenthe around anyway. The hate mongering shit she throws around would damage any company. Even if they're hands off, they will want to monitor their product.

I would consider this but I don't wanna have to dump my currently-owned stocks while they're rising in value in exchange for a stock that I think is gonna take a hit when MOBA inevitably fails to make a profit from this buyout. I might have to save up and set aside this investment separately.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
This ad thread might start getting used more when Moba start ramping this up.

So2ilP3.png

Who are they even going to report it to? Moba hasn't reached out according to the mods.
:ROFLMAO:

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Being already in my 20's when joining GAF in 2005, you could see back then something starting to happen in the very young exposed to this "always online" lifestyle. Its fair to say, you could expect what ended happening in Resetera.

Socially immature young people, learning life indoors through content made by other socially inept people, now playing the adult game on complex matters they possess no wisdom to understand, even less to moderate. Preschool children imitating real life in the playground, pushing poorly educated points of view into the culture around us

They find each other mostly in gaming forums and start justifying the inability to fit the real world due to sexuality, politics, race etc.. branding themselves endless acronyms in the name of progress. Had most of them had any proper education through real life experiences, they would realize what they really have in common with each other are not the acronyms they identify with, but the inability to see the world through someones else's eyes.

Its hard to blame them, as the mind cannot recognize concepts it has yet to learn.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I think the first big fallout will be when the ads being served are proper whitelisted and not blocked consistently. At the moment with adblock the landing looks like this

JNTPec.jpg

And without

ZMvQlC.jpg
That site is already unusable without an ad-blocker. I can't imagine how much worse it will get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom