• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

I'm honestly surprised he wasn't a stage hazard in Green Hill with his wrecking ball. Or at least flying around in the background now and then; even bloody Silver the Hedgehog cameoed in that stage!
I personally want Death Egg from the 2nd game to be the stage in ssb4. Along with the Death Egg Robot to be in the background as a stage hazard. Fuck yes.

I personally want Death Egg from the 2nd game to be the stage in ssb4. Along with the Death Egg Robot to be in the background as a stage hazard. Fuck yes.
Music would include Metallic Madness Present (JP/EU) and Eggmanland?

Although to be honest, I figured a Colors stage was more likely to be included. Maybe go for Planet Wisp, the most "Eggman's base"-y of the lot, play up the more Scrap Brain-y aspects of it like they did in Generations...

GamerSoul

All these stage ideas are just giving me hope, albeit unlikely hope, for a more nostalgic story mode with a fusion of different characters that have similar settings. It would be awesome to have be on the Death Egg with Samus or Fox and Sonic with Ridley lurking around.

Antioch

After finishing Kid Icarus: Uprising, I'm hoping that all the stage and music potential it brings will be utilized.

For example this track, which seems almost made with SSB in mind.

What characters from the game would people like to see? I'm not sure Magnus is deserving of a spot, I'd rather see
Hades

GamerSoul

Since Sakurai has said he will not be doing another Kid Icarus, I wouldn't be surprised if we get 2 newcomers with maybe 1 unlockable, but that's unlikely. I'm choosing Palutena and Medusa. One could be based of the other to an extent.

Galang

Banned
I wouldn't be so sure -- Sakurai has said that the concept of the Assist Trophy is to include characters who are popular but not quite worthy of being playable.

I like the sound of this in theory, but I don't agree Saki and Isaac aren't worthy of being playable. Proper Golden Sun/Sin & Punishment representation are two things I'd really like to see in the next game. Sad if his statement still holds true :(

When exactly was the last time I tried pushing sales as a metric for a character being included?
Right in the post I replied to actually ...
Pray tell, if two back-to-back Golden Sun games weren't enough to warrant Isaac a spot in Brawl, then do you really think a poorly-selling third game starring a completely different character is somehow going to be the impetus to push Sakurai over the edge and rush to put Isaac in the game? I don't know, maybe I'm insane for not seeing it.
You're clearly trying to disregard the last game (which came out after Brawl was done) in some way. I believe you have also done the same with S&P before.

Ness is from a first-party game made by the same studio that developed Smash Bros.; Isaac is from an outsourced second-party series. There's no comparison.
Actually, there's a clear common element ... they're both series and characters owned by Nintendo.

And by commenting on how Ness was from a game Sakurai's people worked on as an excuse you're pretty much giving into the whole "Sakurai does w/e he wants" mindset which seems to contradict these rules you're using...

I wouldn't be so sure -- Sakurai has said that the concept of the Assist Trophy is to include characters who are popular but not quite worthy of being playable.
I only remember him saying that AT were to "allow you to enjoy even more characters who couldn’t quite make it as playable fighters." ... nothing about them simply not being worthy, just couldn't quite be in this one game. Hell, he didn't have time for M2 to get in.

And wow, a lot of these characters/ series have had new games since smash came out ... like Mac, S&P and GS for example.

(Please trust that my translations are accurate; I do commercial translation work, and I'm an active contributor to sites like EventHubs.)
Thanks but I believe the only relevant statements to be the latest ones and that seems like it was from some time ago and like they were referring to Brawl. I thought you were referring to the later statement for Smash 4 stating that there arnt many new IPs from between melee and brawl to pick from ... not that there simply weren't any, just not many. And if he's actually looking at IPs made between that time period for Smash 4 I don't see GS being something to easily look over.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hey guys, I just got an email from Sakurai himself

Sakurai said:
Dear BGBW,

Thank you so much for helping me meet my daily recommended intake of laughs. As a thank you I'd like to let you be the first person in the universe to see my proposed Smash U roster.

Hugs, kisses and laughs,

Masahiro Sakurai

100& legit!

I think Sakurai knows who Ganondorf is seeing as he invented him for Melee.

1316713879_castle_rea4jzux.gif

cednym

Banned
And by commenting on how Ness was from a game Sakurai's people worked on as an excuse you're pretty much giving into the whole "Sakurai does w/e he wants" mindset which seems to contradict these rules you're using…
Not really, because in addition to that, Mother is a deserving series in its own right -- directed by the legendary Itoi, produced by Miyamoto, and developed in-house. Having been worked on by HAL is just another check in the plus column. I don't know why you keep trying to push the idea that Mother is some ultra-obscure underground franchise and that Ness didn't deserve to be in Smash 64; EarthBound was a big hit (especially in Japan) and came out at exactly the right time for SSB.

Hell, he didn't have time for M2 to get in.
Exactly, and Mewtwo isn't a Poké Ball summon; the characters that Sakurai wanted to include aren't featured in any major capacity, unlike Assist Trophies.

You don't think it's strange that of the 20+ planned newcomers, only Wario and Olimar represent new modern franchises? You don't think it's strange that Sakurai would have added Plusle & Minun, Toon Zelda, and the fictional Toon Sheik before Isaac? I think his stance on which franchises deserve playable characters is quite clear. If two major Golden Sun releases didn't sway him, a third release with very little impact isn't going to.

Who owns Bomberman now? Konami now after Hudson went RIP?

I really wish he made it, i love dat bomber and hell you could take that guy from bomberman 64 and make him an assist trophy too, fucker betraying me :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Who owns Bomberman now? Konami now after Hudson went RIP?
I assume Konami which would ruin his chances since Snake is already in the game. But he needs to finish his fight with Wario!

Imakuni?!

Why do I want this character?
All credit to Green Scar for that idea I mean Sakurai is obviously a fan of the TCGs.

this is fake i can tell becuze random isn't a ?

get ur fax strate u dumbbutt
Question mark is one of the oldest Mario characters so you better respect. Go back to Mario 64 with your exclamation marks. Sakurai and I play is OLD SKOOL!

eShop bag would be a rad item
The new Assist Trophy?

KevinCow

Banned
There is no way that they can top SSBB's soundtrack.

I hate to say, but for all the effort put into Brawl's soundtrack, for the huge number of songs present in the game... I found the overall quality pretty lacking. There were a few standout tracks, but most were decent at best, and there were a number of downright bad ones. I've enjoyed fan remixes that I've found on the internet far more than most of Brawls soundtrack.

And you know what? I think that's what they could do to top Brawl. Take a note from what Capcom did with HD Remix, and get the community to contribute remixes.

Javier

Funny thing about Brawl's soundtrack. The ONLY new track is the Brawl Main Theme. Everything else is a remix of a song from a previous game or from the main theme itself.

Still a great soundtrack, though. The orchestrated Fire Emblem Theme is a masterpiece.

Neiteio

I hate to say, but for all the effort put into Brawl's soundtrack, for the huge number of songs present in the game... I found the overall quality pretty lacking. There were a few standout tracks, but most were decent at best, and there were a number of downright bad ones. I've enjoyed fan remixes that I've found on the internet far more than most of Brawls soundtrack.

And you know what? I think that's what they could do to top Brawl. Take a note from what Capcom did with HD Remix, and get the community to contribute remixes.
They should really make everything more like Melee, don't you think?

Letting fans do it is about one of the worst things that can happen. Sadly whenever fans become significantly involved in a process it is usually for the worst.

Brawl's OST generally suffered from poor instrumentation quality and poor mastering. That remix of the Ridley theme comes to mind.

Funny thing about Brawl's soundtrack. The ONLY new track is the Brawl Main Theme. Everything else is a remix of a song from a previous game or from the main theme itself.

They employed Uematsu only for that, although it's a pretty shitty track imo. Tries waaaaay too hard to be epic.

nullset2

You're praising Nintendo for doing something that they should've done a generation ago. I'll believe this so-called "compelling and functional online feature" for Smash 4 when I'm actually experiencing it.

Bear in mind that I wrote "probably" in my post for a very good reason, this being Nintendo we're talking about :)

Not really, because in addition to that, Mother is a deserving series in its own right -- directed by the legendary Itoi, produced by Miyamoto, and developed in-house. Having been worked on by HAL is just another check in the plus column.
Don't see how any of that matters when it's literally Sakurai's say being argued here. All that seems like reason's for Sakurai to want said character in on a personal level ... not in some quantifiable list of things to check off. That's why people like to use sells, it's one of the few quantifiable angles that take's the decision out of being purely Sakurai's opinion.

I don't know why you keep trying to push the idea that Mother is some ultra-obscure underground franchise and that Ness didn't deserve to be in Smash 64; EarthBound was a big hit (especially in Japan) and came out at exactly the right time for SSB.
Never said it was "ultra-obscure", just that it still isn't clear to me WHY Ness or CF would be in a game that's said to feature "Nintendo All-Stars", right aside Mario and Pikachu and Kirby and Link. I'm sure it wasn't a well known series at all among the demographic and I'm sure there are characters at that time who would more well known and popular. Only reason I can come up with is "Sakurai wanted it" seeing as I don't see either of them being in the league of the other characters to the fans.

Exactly, and Mewtwo isn't a Poké Ball summon; the characters that Sakurai wanted to include aren't featured in any major capacity, unlike Assist Trophies.'
I don't think you're catching what I'm throwing.

I did NOT say he "wanted" any AT in as a character in BRAWL . From the way he talks about ATs and certain AT characters I think that he sees the potential for them to be characters and knows that people want some of them in as characters but, for w/e reason, they didn't out-rank the characters he had planned for Brawl so he wanted to include them in in someway.

And you used Pokeball-sommons ... which I fond interesting. We all know that they're placed in there because they're popular or well known and Sakraui added them in as a means to including them even if they couldn't be characters just to rep the Pokemon Series.

But then we have Charizard. Charizard was part of these Pokemon that were summons and not meant to be characters. But, according to you, things changed over time with the release of a remake/ game which made him a relevant option for being a character in Brawl (even though people ALWAYS used the "It's a ball Pokemon! Not gonna happen!" BS to shoot down Charizard Character Talk).

Could the same be said for Punch Out!! or S&P or GS or any other series that got a new game released after Brawl's devilment was in the works? I think so.

You don't think it's strange that of the 20+ planned newcomers, only Wario and Olimar represent new modern franchises? You don't think it's strange that Sakurai would have added Plusle & Minun, Toon Zelda, and the fictional Toon Sheik before Isaac?
No ...

I believe the man has priorities. Getting in characters like MK, Wolf and Diddy as additions to their series would seems like a pretty big "to do". And as for new series characters Mayamoto's latest baby and Wario easily out-rank others. And as for retro characters it's clear that he does that by personal taste ... I'm sure he's had his eye on making KI relevant for some time now.
As for what you listed ...

P&M are great reps for the 3rd generation of the 2nd biggest series in gaming sooo yeah. Even you think he was trying to rep every main-line Pokemon that came out in that period of time.
Toon Zelda would have simply been a Zelda Clone ... like Toon Link is just a Link Clone and not actually "WW Link". As for Shiek ... you DO know that TP Sheik is just as much a "fictional" character as Toon Sheik, right? Looking at Toon Link it's clear that "Toon" just stands for a style and not a series and that they weren't going to make them anything but LoZ roster fluff.

A lot of people make some great points about this very thing. Now that he has a ton of characters from the fatty series out the way he can focus on new/ smaller ones or less popular ones.

I think his stance on which franchises deserve playable characters is quite clear. If two major Golden Sun releases didn't sway him, a third release with very little impact isn't going to.
Everyone thinks his stance is "clear" to them. Then we get something like Snake popping out of nowhere.
(And again, you seem to be relying on sells as a way to disregard something. It had a 3rd game after Brawl's development was out of the way and ya know what? Chances are that it's gonna get a 3DS game as well. )

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Roster choices: Serious Business.

I'd rather have more Mario Bros mixes than Stickerbrush Symphonies, the latter being what I consider fan mixish (or perhaps I should specify, OC Remixish). I just want straight up re-imaginings. Both include original contributions to make the melody flow, but Mario Bros manages to keep the original intact for the most part.

That's one reason why I said earlier in the thread it would be nice to have some more GameBoy tunes brought back since just hearing those with real instruments is enough for me.

Still a great soundtrack, though. The orchestrated Fire Emblem Theme is a masterpiece.
Isn't that kind of the point?

Mad props for using mr ** art
Who is Mr **?

One of the previous times this was mentioned it was suggested Neogaf should submit the DK Rap.

But personally a custom soundtracks option kills two birds with one stone. Add in digitally selling DRM free versions of the soundtracks and you've got a winner...though maybe I'd rather Sakurai calling in his friends again to do mixes.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Or dare I say it, custom soundtracks. You could even include a basic editor to set the loop points.

Ah so we're still in roster part of the cycle? I thought we're in the "Wolf is a clone" part.
We're skipping past that part from now on we've almost unanimously agreed (not our fault if you weren't present for the meeting where we voted) that not only is Wolf a clone but Lucario is a clone of Mewtwo and Star Fox is only for furries and oh wait wrong thread

Also wouldn't retro Diddy just be DK Jr.? As in he literally started off as DK Jr. before Nintendo got Rare to make their redesign in DKC a new character.

I would believe but Tingle automatically makes this false, imo.

Actually, of all the possible non-Triforce-holders in various forms Tingle is probably the most likely choice for a new character; he even has his own spin-off game, and has appeared throughout the Zelda series since Majora's Mask.
Who else would be there? Any of the non-Ganon villains are only exclusive to one game or maybe two (Vaati), and who else is there? Impa, maybe, and as much as I'd love her... I don't think she has many chances.

NeonZ

Actually, of all the possible non-Triforce-holders in various forms Tingle is probably the most likely choice for a new character; he even has his own spin-off game, and has appeared throughout the Zelda series since Majora's Mask.
Who else would be there?

Well, Tingle has been kind of shafted lately though, not appearing in any of the recent Zeldas or, really, anything at all after his spin off game. If he didn't make it to Brawl, I'm not sure he has big chances now.

GamerSoul

Who else would be there? Any of the non-Ganon villains are only exclusive to one game or maybe two (Vaati), and who else is there? Impa, maybe, and as much as I'd love her... I don't think she has many chances.

I honestly don't like Tingle very much and I'd rather see him stick to the sidelines. Luigi is a enough comedic relief for the whole roster. Ghirahim or Impa probably have a better shot and a better pool of moves to choose from.

Poyunch

I honestly don't like Tingle very much and I'd rather see him stick to the sidelines. Luigi is a enough comedic relief for the whole roster. Ghirahim or Impa probably have a better shot and a better pool of moves to choose from.

Tingle's got a lot going for him with his balloons and bombs. You know what...? You could probably translate Snake's moveset to Tingle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom