• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoilers:
In the future Smash will be next.

Dibs on either K. Rool, Lip or Jill Dozer if any of them get in, if not than the 'Ware' version of Wario. I really gotta try my hand at sprite-work sometime :X

Also played Project M on dolphin. Some of the stuff like the original art and new fonts seem pointless, but goddamn is it nice playing as Wario with a proper Land-inspired moveset or as a version of Falcon who doesn't suck shit. Don't want SSB4 to be exactly like this or Melee, but while Brawl's still my favorite game it would definitely benefit from being faster and no tripping.

GamerSoul

Dibs on either K. Rool, Lip or Jill Dozer if any of them get in, if not than the 'Ware' version of Wario. I really gotta try my hand at sprite-work sometime :X

Also played Project M on dolphin. Some of the stuff like the original art and new fonts seem pointless, but goddamn is it nice playing as Wario with a proper Land-inspired moveset or as a version of Falcon who doesn't suck shit. Don't want SSB4 to be exactly like this or Melee, but while Brawl's still my favorite game it would definitely benefit from being faster and no tripping.

I really need to play Project M. And yea I totally agree, Brawl just did a bit too much to slow the game down. It would definitely benefit from a faster pace, imo too. I really hhope Sakurai is really doing his homework to find the right balance for the next Smash. That, character inclusion, online functionality should be prioritized before anything else, imo.

OMG WE'VE FOUND THE SECRET TO IWATA AND HIS BANANA

O shi-

what the fuck did they do to pit's moveset

Also why was Toon Link slightly de-cloned while Falco and Ganondorf are as 'unique' as ever? For every character like Wario, Lucario, Snake and Lucas I'm glad they played around with there's a few where the characters feel duller in their Melee states than they did in the original Brawl. I realize that's part of the point of Project M, but when you're changing so much anyway I don't entirely see the point of slavishly sticking to a clone moveset which was only the result of a very tight 11-month development period.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
what the fuck did they do to pit's moveset

Also why was Toon Link slightly de-cloned while Falco and Ganondorf are as 'unique' as ever? For every character like Wario, Lucario, Snake and Lucas I'm glad they played around with there's a few where the characters feel duller in their Melee states than they did in the original Brawl. I realize that's part of the point of Project M, but when you're changing so much anyway I don't entirely see the point of slavishly sticking to a clone moveset which was only the result of a very tight 11-month development period.

That's why I lost interest in Project M. It's not "fixing Brawl", it's mutating Brawl into Melee. That's what you get when you have people who can't think out of the box (hell, some of them are already taken out for them - Falco) who are also die-hard fans do a project like that. They even turned Wolf into a clone.

And here's to me thinking they'll probably keep that smug thinking that Melee will be superior to 4 even if it proves otherwise.

I could understand if they consistently made everything 'Melee-ised', but they haven't really. What they did with Lucas was perfectly fine; he (mostly) has his own B moves now, a few new kicks and without being too radically different from his Brawl incarnation he feels more like how Luigi does to Mario than a straight clone. So why in the same project would you go backwards for Falco and Ganondorf? On the opposite side of the spectrum Wario gets a mostly new moveset, the Pokemon get new moves and Toon Link is even more dissimilar to Melee's Young Link now.

Why not just work in elements of their cloned movesets into Fox and Falcon respectively like they did for Dr. Mario, while making new movesets for them (like they more or less did for Wario at this point)? It's just annoying when they obviously have the talent other modders don't, yet not the same amount of ambition.

I haven't played Project M, but you said Toon Link still only feels "slightly" decloned. Maybe the modders like the idea of having some similar characters.

Ryce

Every so often I'm going to introduce a potential "unexpected" newcomer that I feel is on some level plausible. I'll try to focus on characters that rarely (if ever) get brought up. Between Sheik, Ice Climbers, Zero Suit Samus, and Pokémon Trainer, Sakurai likes to surprise us with unexpected characters who utilize unique fighting/transformation mechanics.

BpQZB.png

Why Eevee?
  • Eevee is the main character's Pokémon in Pokémon Conquest
  • Eevee is your rival's main Pokémon in Pokémon Yellow
  • Eevee is the star of the upcoming short movie "Pikachu and Eevee Friends"
  • There's a rumor going around that said movie will introduce a brand new evolution from the next generation
  • Its evolutionary forms represent three generations of Pokémon games

When choosing Eevee on the character select screen, you must also select an evolutionary stone: Water Stone, Thunderstone, Fire Stone, Sun Shard (hidden), Moon Shard (hidden), Moss Rock (hidden), Ice Rock (hidden), or random. This determines which form Eevee can evolve into during the fight. If you don't like this idea, then perhaps the various stones can be "discovered" during gameplay while fighting as Eevee.

Obviously, Eevee is the slowest and weakest of all the forms, so you're going to want to evolve.

m9hjx.png

Attack the opponent to build up your level bar.

XBiAf.png

When your level bar maxes out, it will light up and pulsate. Use your Down Special Move to level up and trigger the short evolution cutscene.

While eight characters in one might seem like a lot, all "Eeveelutions" share the same core move set -- they are essentially Melee-style clones. Various attributes (speed, weight, power, etc.) differ between them, and certain attacks are imbued with unique properties; some of Jolteon's attacks might shock the enemy while Flareon's might burn them.

I like the Pokemon idea you've brought up way more than what we're probably going to get for that series. I hope we don't just get Zoroark and no other Pokemon.

The biggest issue I see about your Eevee is that I'm not sure how you could give it an interesting set of special moves if all of its evolutions were only clones.

I like the Pokemon idea you've brought up way more than what we're probably going to get for that series. I hope we don't just get Zoroark and no other Pokemon.

The biggest issue I see about your Eevee is that I'm not sure how you could give it an interesting set of special moves if all of its evolutions were only clones.

1. Keep the A-moves largely the same, these aren't the most interesting ones anyway. (have a few ones like the smashes have an effect possibly)

2. Give Eevee at least 1 or 2 projectile-based B-moves because:

2b. It's very easy to mess around with projectile trajectory, size, range and effect to give each Eevee wildly different feeling projectile attacks.

3. Like Lucario's damage increase, make sure to give each Eevee one "special" trait that's very strong & unique so that evolving doesn't just make you stronger, but specialized.

(Just looking at the in-game abilities opens up quite some options)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Realizing that Pokemon just got its own Direct... I wonder if Smash will get Smash Direct, as per someone's idea in that thread.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That reminds me that one rumor going around the other week mentioned a Smash-focused Direct on Brawl's anniversary...

Honestly, though, I'm still waiting on a good Wii U Nintendo Direct. :/ Come on Yoshi's Land!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah.

That seems like a decent enough time between Nintendo Directs, but I recall he said it wouldn't be anything major though, no trailer probably.

1. Keep the A-moves largely the same, these aren't the most interesting ones anyway. (have a few ones like the smashes have an effect possibly)

2. Give Eevee at least 1 or 2 projectile-based B-moves because:

2b. It's very easy to mess around with projectile trajectory, size, range and effect to give each Eevee wildly different feeling projectile attacks.

3. Like Lucario's damage increase, make sure to give each Eevee one "special" trait that's very strong & unique so that evolving doesn't just make you stronger, but specialized.

(Just looking at the in-game abilities opens up quite some options)

Giving Eevee a projectile would be a good way to handle that, but looking at its movelist, the only thing I can see that would work would be Sand Attack.

Thores

So hey guys!

iRFXebCgLmopd.png

Does anyone else think that Smash 4 might be at least part of the reason we're getting an expedited worldwide release of Pokemon for the first time? I think it's somewhat obvious that there's gonna be Gen VI Pokemon in Smash 4 at this point. Maybe they partially did it because this way, a Holiday 2013 / Q1 2014 release of Smash with Gen VI Pokes in it won't "spoil" Gen VI for overseas players.

I mean it is probably just mostly because Nintendo really really needs to sell some 3DSes so they can start making money again and the sooner they release new Pokemon, the better. But it's nice to think that we might get new Pokemon and new Smash in the same short timespan.

fisheyes

So hey guys!

Does anyone else think that Smash 4 might be at least part of the reason we're getting an expedited worldwide release of Pokemon for the first time? I think it's somewhat obvious that there's gonna be Gen VI Pokemon in Smash 4 at this point. Maybe they partially did it because this way, a Holiday 2013 / Q1 2014 release of Smash with Gen VI Pokes in it won't "spoil" Gen VI for overseas players.

I mean it is probably just mostly because Nintendo really really needs to sell some 3DSes so they can start making money again and the sooner they release new Pokemon, the better. But it's nice to think that we might get new Pokemon and new Smash in the same short timespan.

That's a hell of a bow to stretch.

POKEMON X STAG WITH THE FROG POKEMON RIDING IT FOR SSB4 KTHNX

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If they make that X a character they can tick the boxes for both a new Pokémon fighter and the Megaman inclusion.

Ryce

Plusle and Minun were almost going to be in Brawl, so at the very least Sakurai is planning on including somebody from Generation V. Black/White/Black 2/White 2 are far too significant to just ignore.

So hey guys!

iRFXebCgLmopd.png

Smash Bros. Always includes a rep from the current Pokemon Generation. Melee had Pichu repping Gold/Silver, Brawl had Lucario repping Daimond/Pearl. Whichever Pokemon Game Freak and Pokemon Company decide will be the figurehead of the X/Y generation will be in Smash.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Weren't Marill and Togepi more the Gold/Silver figureheads. Pichu was more the rep for egg Pokémon.

Plusle and Minun were almost going to be in Brawl, so at the very least Sakurai is planning on including somebody from Generation V. Black/White/Black 2/White 2 are far too significant to just ignore.

Maybe, but I think the timeline is different enough here that it's possible that he just decided from the start not to give Black and White a character.

Keep in mind that representation can be done through:

1. stages
2. bosses
3. characters
4. pokeball pokemon

+any other new feature we don't know of that increases this list

Gen V could get a significant representation in a non-character way.

(I think for example that guys like Zekrom and Reshiram are shoe-ins for either pokeball pokemon or stage pokemon.)

Been in the speculation scene since June, 2011 at Smashboards and GameFAQs (Super Smash Bros. Fan and Limelight788 respectively). This is my current roster predictions. 53 characters, no cuts, fourteen newcomers.

Prediction_Roster_zps015fe7e7.png

This could change depending on how the 6th gen stuff plan out, but I'd rather wait to see who's Genesect partner is next month because deciding whenever or not to swap Samurai Goroh with a 6th gen Pokémon.

Smash Bros. Always includes a rep from the current Pokemon Generation. Melee had Pichu repping Gold/Silver, Brawl had Lucario repping Daimond/Pearl. Whichever Pokemon Game Freak and Pokemon Company decide will be the figurehead of the X/Y generation will be in Smash.

Pichu wasn't originally going to be in Melee, he was added at the last minute. It was originally just Mewtwo added to Melee before they decided to add clones. And two data points does not a pattern make.

Been in the speculation scene since June, 2011 at Smashboards and GameFAQs (Super Smash Bros. Fan and Limelight788 respectively). This is my current roster predictions. 53 characters, no cuts, fourteen newcomers.

This could change depending on how the 6th gen stuff plan out, but I'd rather wait to see who's Genesect partner is next month because deciding whenever or not to swap Samurai Goroh with a 6th gen Pokémon.

Glad to see someone other than me sees Mach Rider potential.

I still can't agree with putting Roy there instead of Chrom. I'm not denying that there is still demand for Roy, but Awakening is a big success and a pretty important game for Nintendo, so I see no reason why Chrom wouldn't be chosen over Roy.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Ah! Welcome to NeoGaf. I just looked at your roster first without reading anything and I was wondering why it look familiar. Now I saw your name, so no wonder your roster look familiar.

I would be happy with the roster, but it might be lack of surprises for me.

Mach Rider definitely has potential, but Sakurai would likely have to have a vision for a character mechanic. I'm not putting it beyond him to come up with a really cool mechanic for him, but I wouldn't put my money on Mach Rider being the character who brings in new mechanics.

That said, do you think there will be a lot of new characters that will have fresh gameplay mechanics?
Melee and Brawl both brought in characters with new aspects in that regard - the Ice Climbers as pair character, Peach's random item pull, Marth's stronger sword tip, Zelda/Sheik's transformation, Pichu's self-hurting (for better or worse), Lucario's aura, gliding, tether recoveries, PT's fatigue, Wario's in-game timer charging, Olimar as a whole...

Fairly good roster, though Toad seems boring and 4 DK characters seems overkill (though I still want one of the two to be in the game, coming from a big DKC fan).

Here's a revision of my roster which is less a wishlist and more a conservative guess at what I think will happen:
smash4prediction.png

Really the only part of this I'm not too certain on is Shulk, Mewtwo returning and Goroh. Zoroak could be whoever the fuck, he's more just a placeholder as is the blankspot which you could fill with any Mario rep. I see it getting a newcomer to make up for Mario going from 5 to 4 reps in Brawl, but it's hard to guess who; I'd personally want either Rosalina, Fawful or Geno. Toad, Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Petey Piranha are bland as fuck but likely. I still see Mega Man as being highly likely if Capcom gets a rep in.

Somewhat unlikely characters I would like in who aren't in this list are Layton, Travis Touchdown, Lip, Jill Dozer
and Banjo

Well they almost did for Brawl and then changed their minds, so I have a feeling they felt Diddy worked better by himself. I agree with that too; I know they're paired up in DKC2 (one of my favorite games) but it still seems pretty silly. Like having Mario and Luigi paired up, or Sonic and Tails, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom