• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Honestly Dixie is also pretty bland as a character on its own and the people who like her are hardcore DKC fans.

Eh I dunno, I always appreciated Dixie since beyond Samus (who as a kid I didn't completely realize was a girl) most if not all platformer characters were guys. Plus I thought the whole banana hair being used as a helicopter was a neat visual idea. That being said, that's not nearly enough to carry her through as a complete character in SSB4.

I could take or leave Wrinkly, Candy, the DK64 Kongs, and so on though. You really just need DK, Diddy, Cranky, Funky, Dixie and then whoever as an antagonist* IMO.

*prefer the tiki's to kremlings, but K. Rool a million times over Tiki Master Hand

Thores

Oh hey the thread is in a roster phase again? Here's mine! It leans a bit more towards the wishlisty side than the realistic, but I think all my choices are at least somewhat feasible.

ibh1ZREg29nFB.png

49 slots, which makes 53 characters including transformations. 16 newcomers.

Notes:
-9-Volt's moves would alternate between homages to older Nintendo games and usage of forgotten peripherals like the Power Glove. He is simultaneously my most wanted and least likely character.
-Paper Mario's franchise size has doubled since Brawl's development, and man he just has so much potential for a moveset that's nothing like regular Mario's. I've gone from thinking this character is a pipe dream to considering him actually pretty likely.
-Everyone returns except Ike and Sheik, who are just replaced by near-identical movesets that are currently more relevant (Chrom and Impa respectively). Yes, I realize that's an unpopular thing to think in this thread.
-I think Genesect could end up being Meloetta instead, and her two forms would bump the character total up to 54. They've both had pretty recent marketing though, and I think either one would be a neat character with unique mechanics.
-Anna and Heracross are placeholders for Lissa from FE Awakening and a Gen VI rep, since neither character has an icon in the roster maker yet (understandably). I'm not married to Lissa as an addition, I just think that Fire Emblem deserves three characters, and want a relevant-feeling unit that isn't yet another sword-user.
-I am actually not a Takamaru fan, but his inclusion in Nintendoland and his apparent popularity have finally convinced me that he is probably the Retro rep for SSB4.
-Duck Hunt Dog is my WTF nomination, he would be wielding the NES Zapper.

The rest are pretty standard nominations that I don't have much to say about.

Dixie and Kiddy would work better for the double role anyway, differentiation from Ice Climbers is that you can swap which one is at the front for different attacks.

Of course no one actually likes Kiddy Kong so therein lies the problem.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Multiplayer in DKC3 went perfectly well for my friend and I when we were young because I liked Dixie and he liked Kiddy. The fans do exist.

Maybe this is why I scandalously like DKC3 despite what general opinion dictates.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I never considered him shitty and I liked the tag team aspect of it. It made sure each player got a turn during a level and that you worked together.

To add to the scandal, I also like the soundtrack.

ffdgh

Oh I 102% dk3 and those darn Simon says caves >_<

I just really cant stand to look at kiddy and I hate that horrible rambi replacement. :3

Never really got why people got so bent out of shape by Ellie, Rambi peaked in DKC2, notice how all the other animal buddies got multiple stages while Rambi only had one in which he spends the last half just bopping Wasps to get over gaps? yeah it's because there's not much that can be done with a bulldozer.
Ellie offered a decidedly different take on an animal buddy and it's hardly like Rambi was forever abandoned considering its still the most frequently seen animal buddy in the series.
Ellie being called a replacement for Rambi despite not even sharing the same function is like some straight up Mewtwo/Lucario level stretching.

You guys just don't understand the joy of "Bobbing Barrel Brawl".
I should mention I still like Rambi more than Ellie, best animal buddy was Squitter anyway.

Of course there's always the actual Rambi spiritual successor.

Dixie and Kiddy would work better for the double role anyway, differentiation from Ice Climbers is that you can swap which one is at the front for different attacks.

Of course no one actually likes Kiddy Kong so therein lies the problem.
It could work, it's about the only way I could see Dixie getting in. Diddy has enough of his own thing to stand on his own, I have no idea how someone could think otherwise.
To add to the scandal, I also like the soundtrack.
Which one?
Considering how Zoroark flopped I doubt they'll try another Lucario.
Flopped? What is it, a Hollywood movie?
Of course there's always the actual Rambi spiritual successor.

Fuck Jungle Beat.

ffdgh

....Wait whats wrong with hill top zone? I usually use debug mode there to spam those lava bubbles everywhere for fun lol.

I have to question why Takamaru is so commonly seen on rosters. It seems almost like the group of Smash fans has collectively convinced itself that he's likely, but I've never actually seen someone request him per se.

And I hate the DKC3 GBA soundtrack. It's like Wise purposefully made the songs as different from the original song's atmosphere as possible.

I don't even begin to see the problem unless you just hate the style, then again Sonic Gaf fear Hilltop Zone for the same reason.

Alternative post: Why'd you have to hurt me Hog?
There's a problem? I was being serious, that song floors me. The GBA soundchip - or, if I understand correctly, the lack of one - shouldn't be capable of such awesomeness.

Also Hill Top gets too much flak.

Quackula

-9-Volt's moves would alternate between homages to older Nintendo games and usage of forgotten peripherals like the Power Glove. He is simultaneously my most wanted and least likely character.

Pretty much identical to how I'd imagine Nester if they ever went with that.

qq more

Oh hey the thread is in a roster phase again? Here's mine! It leans a bit more towards the wishlisty side than the realistic, but I think all my choices are at least somewhat feasible.

ibh1ZREg29nFB.png

49 slots, which makes 53 characters including transformations. 16 newcomers.

Notes:
-Paper Mario's franchise size has doubled since Brawl's development, and man he just has so much potential for a moveset that's nothing like regular Mario's. I've gone from thinking this character is a pipe dream to considering him actually pretty likely.
-Everyone returns except Ike and Sheik, who are just replaced by near-identical movesets that are currently more relevant (Chrom and Impa respectively). Yes, I realize that's an unpopular thing to think in this thread.
-I think Genesect could end up being Meloetta instead, and her two forms would bump the character total up to 54. They've both had pretty recent marketing though, and I think either one would be a neat character with unique mechanics.
-Anna and Heracross are placeholders for Lissa from FE Awakening and a Gen VI rep, since neither character has an icon in the roster maker yet (understandably). I'm not married to Lissa as an addition, I just think that Fire Emblem deserves three characters, and want a relevant-feeling unit that isn't yet another sword-user.
-I am actually not a Takamaru fan, but his inclusion in Nintendoland and his apparent popularity have finally convinced me that he is probably the Retro rep for SSB4.
-Duck Hunt Dog is my WTF nomination, he would be wielding the NES Zapper.

The rest are pretty standard nominations that I don't have much to say about.

Duck Hunt Dog is really redundant when you have 9-volt in the roster who can easily wield the zapper himself.

There's a problem? I was being serious, that song floors me. The GBA soundchip - or, if I understand correctly, the lack of one - shouldn't be capable of such awesomeness.

Also Hill Top gets too much flak.

whoops, guess I just expected the worst, i'm so sorry my friend!
I blame this cold of mine for clouding my judgement, grumble.

GBA had a hard enough time trying to bring across any atmosphere with the previous 2 DKC games soundtracks, it's definitely a tonal shift for DKC3 GBA aside from a few themes like the caves and lake themes but i'd sooner have that shift instead of another botching of the SNES soundtracks, even if it means GBA Frosty Frolics which is all kinds of "why?".

If Rockface Rumble were in SSB they should look at this version for some ideas, put aside the OCRemix disdain for a sec BGBW, this one actually sticks close to the main melody.

I have to question why Takamaru is so commonly seen on rosters. It seems almost like the group of Smash fans has collectively convinced itself that he's likely, but I've never actually seen someone request him per se.

Probably because it's assumed that Japanese fans want him. It's not like anyone here asked for Marth, but in retrospect he was a pretty obvious choice.

Takamaru is considered a shoe-in mostly because there's been rumors for a remake of his game going on, he's made a cameo in Captain Rainbow (if that matters) and of course and most importantly, the Nintendo Land area that has been dedicated to him specifically exists.

Do we know that Japanese fans want him, though? I mean, there's certainly evidence of Nintendo fanservice toward that end (Takamaru in Samurai Warriors 3 for the Wii, Takamaru getting his own minigame in NintendoLand, etc), but I don't go lurking on Japanese forums to know (mostly because I only really remember some basic words, sentence structure and hiragana/katakana from my attempt to learn the language).

Ryce

When Zelda and Metroid were being developed simultaneously as major Famicom Disk System releases, R&D was also creating the smaller scale Kid Icarus using the Metroid engine and EAD was making the smaller scale Murasame Castle using the Zelda engine. With Link, Samus, and Pit in the game, it makes sense that Takamaru would come next to complete the "FDS Foursome." I don't think it hurts that Takamaru was recently featured in Samurai Warriors 3, Captain Rainbow, and Nintendo Land.

I certainly see where his potential as a newcomer is coming from, but the Smash fanbase talks as if he's almost certain, or a shoe in, to the point that it really does feel like groupthink at this point, an echo chamber.

And Snakey's bit of anecdotal evidence was that Takamaru was the most requested retro character, but he also said that retro character requests are not at all common, so I don't know if I would put too much stock into it.

I think we just need to pull back on the shoe in nonsense--there is no potential newcomer that I would say is a true shoe-in the way Wario, Diddy, and a Kirby newcomer were shoe-ins for Brawl. I would put this for Smash fanbase darlings Ridley, K.Rool, and Palutena as well. Remember how everyone was so certain that Zoroark would be in? Or some other Gen 5 rep? Not so likely anymore. Chrom? Does anyone actually even want him or is that another expectation based around a "pattern" of two data points?

There's this feeling I have, that when the game is finally revealed something will throw us all for a huge loop like Snake did for Brawl.

I think they're going to skip over gen 5 like they did for gen 3. Especially if they want to keep Lucario.

Well, they were going to include Plustle and Minun until they were cut rather late in development. I'm hoping that we can get both Scrafty a Gen V rep and someone from Gen VI, even at the expense of Lucario and especially Mewtwo.

Ryce

I think we just need to pull back on the shoe in nonsense--there is no potential newcomer that I would say is a true shoe-in the way Wario, Diddy, and a Kirby newcomer were shoe-ins for Brawl. I would put this for Smash fanbase darlings Ridley, K.Rool, and Palutena as well. Remember how everyone was so certain that Zoroark would be in? Or some other Gen 5 rep? Not so likely anymore. Chrom? Does anyone actually even want him or is that another expectation based around a "pattern" of two data points?
I agree 100%. Brawl was created as though it was the last game in the series, and so all of the characters that Sakurai felt were truly deserving were put on the roster. There are no "major" characters left for SSB4.

There's this feeling I have, that when the game is finally revealed something will throw us all for a huge loop like Snake did for Brawl.
I really hope so, because all of the "likely" fan rosters going around are incredibly dull and predictable.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They crammed it with so much I'm pretty sure we'll see things removed for Smash U.

VC demos and the "complete" list of games will be the first things to go I suspect.

qq more

I really hope so, because all of the "likely" fan rosters going around are incredibly dull and predictable.

I've been feeling this way too. It's gonna be impossible to predict the roster now that I think about it... that is assuming Sakurai is gonna shake some things up.

I certainly see where his potential as a newcomer is coming from, but the Smash fanbase talks as if he's almost certain, or a shoe in, to the point that it really does feel like groupthink at this point, an echo chamber.

And Snakey's bit of anecdotal evidence was that Takamaru was the most requested retro character, but he also said that retro character requests are not at all common, so I don't know if I would put too much stock into it.

I don't really mind what SSB4 throws at us as long as Ridley, Little Mac and a 2nd F-Zero rep get their due credit. K. Rool, Palutena, etc. are just icing on the cake.

Also while I think unlike DKC1 which does have a number of pretty big flaws DKC3 is still objectively 'a good SNES platformer', I'd definitely place Elle and Kiddy's as cons. The former's gimmick is just boring while Kiddy was a pointless addition who brought nothing new. While Diddy being the star in DKC2 sort of made sense in the same way DKJr. being the star of... Erm, Donkey Kong Jr. did, Dixie getting top-billing was sort of weird and they'd of been better off focusing instead of letting you mix and match the previous three player Kongs. Scrap the Simon say's segments, replace Wrinkly with Cranky (also sucks his part is way diminished in DKC3) and redesign some of those derpier looking enemies and you'd have a game that starts to compare to DKC2/Returns.

JazzmanZ

ibh1ZREg29nFB.png

Theres a few interesting choices but why in the world is Heracross there?
There's more iconic gen 2 pokemon then him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom