• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antioch

I would omit Ghirahim, Matthew, and Mike Jones (StarTropics) from that list.

However, yeah, Ridley, Little Mac, and Miis are pretty much the only major Nintendo characters left that are not yet playable in Smash Bros. Toad, K. Rool, and Dixie Kong are notable to a lesser extent. There also exists a lot of requests to bring back Mewtwo and Roy. Other than this, Brawl pretty much got in nearly every notable Nintendo character.

Miyamoto's new IP (if it does have a character that could be made playable) is an obvious choice too.

Personally, I don't think Smash 4 needs as much newcomers as Melee and Brawl did. We are scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Yep, besides any except for the few big ones remaining can be added via DLC if there is enough demand.

Boney

Banned
I was just remembering the time you were defending the music. That, the Ridley design, and what I bolded just kind of make me sit back and go "uh?"

EDIT: I'm mostly just poking fun. Mostly. But that Ridley design? Serious business.

whatevssssssssss

i guess im starting to be like raxhephon and ff13

SmithnCo

I agree that Smash 4 may not need as many newcomers. I'd rather they bring in some obvious ones, maybe a surprise here and there, and devote a lot of time to polishing old characters up; maybe adding more variety to clones in the process.

Snakey

On another note, I don't think there's any need to bring back Roy... He was pretty much a one-off besides a cameo. I'd rather see the protag from the 3DS game, or just Marth and Ike.

Roy was one of the most well-received newcomers for Melee. In Japan, there is a very strong demand for his return being one of the most wanted newcomers for Smash 4, as well as being the most wanted of the Fire Emblem characters in the West. He actually almost made it into Brawl. Mewtwo too has a very strong demand to return.

udivision

I agree that Smash 4 may not need as many newcomers. I'd rather they bring in some obvious ones, maybe a surprise here and there, and devote a lot of time to polishing old characters up; maybe adding more variety to clones in the process.

They've done that every time so I expect them to do it again, regardless of how many they add.

I do expect them to figure out a sensible way of Mii creation and customization if they don't want to add much to the roster and still add something new.

ehhh, i wouldn't consider any pokemon "one-off" really.
For "popular enough to put in the next Smash," I would. See Pichu.

PokéKong

The only thing I get from this post is that you're one of those Smashers that chose 1 character and never played any others. I doubt that's true.

They share 1 A move (FSmash), and 3 B moves (PK Thun, PK Fire, PSI Mag)

All I get from this post is you're one of those Smasher hardcore elitists from communities who establish strict standards and definitions for terms which most regular people couldn't care less about but you impose upon them anyway.

PK Flash and Ice are the same move. Giving it a different name with altered appearance and speed and range makes it a different move? Guess Ganondorf was never a clone then. I ask again what the definition of a clone is besides stat differences alone.

They obviously started with Ness and made alterations until calling it good, a talented Smash modder probably could've done it. Now I would call that a clone, but if using that word makes some people's skin crawl I'll find another, but the point is they could've and should do more to to give him more of a unique play style in my opinion. I mean he retains moves from Ness despite never actually using them in his original game, that's nearly disrespectful to the source material.

braves01

Banned
I'd like to see some Leon Kennedy, Chris Redfield, or Jill Valentine in SSB4.

Boo would be a fun Nintendo character to play as.

Shiek, Metwo, Dr. Mario, Lucario, Roy, Ike, Pichu

Depends on what one-off means though...

Basically I just meant characters that had pretty much no chance of coming back (excluding old characters or Ness and Lucas).

Mewtwo still gets used in a lot of Pokemon stuff, and Sakurai probably knew that Ike was getting another game when he picked him for Brawl. The Melee clones didn't get Melee for the same reason as basically any other character in the series, so they're a special case (although I think Roy counts). When I said that, I was really just thinking of Sheik and Lucario, and even Sheik just got in as Zelda's gimmick.

People bringing up Ghirahim reminds me of people bringing up Midna pre-Brawl.

That's exactly what I think.

Emitan

So you're saying characters that have moves that do different damage, have different hitboxes, different speeds, and different effects aren't clones? So is everyone a clone of Mario then?

Gravijah

For "popular enough to put in the next Smash," I would. See Pichu.

that's a different matter, he was talking about their source games.

So you're saying characters that have moves that do different damage, have different hitboxes, different speeds, and different effects aren't clones? So is everyone a clone of Mario then?

it's less the properties and more the aesthetics that make a smash clone.

SmithnCo

Roy was one of the most well-received newcomers for Melee. In Japan, there is a very strong demand for his return being one of the most wanted newcomers for Smash 4, as well as being the most wanted of the Fire Emblem characters in the West. He actually almost made it into Brawl. Mewtwo too has a very strong demand to return.

He just doesn't seem very relevant to the series right now. If they are going to add another FE character, might as well promote a new game or add a character with more variety while they're at it.

Snakey

I never got the reason why people got upset with clones. I personally think there should be more clones. Clones get us more characters as with less development time.

The worst people though are those who whine about Luigi, Wolf, and Lucas, whom are only four moves away (basically their special moves) from being completely unique characters.

The only "Melee style" clones in Brawl were Toon Link, Falco, and Ganondorf.

Still, the inclusion of these characters makes far more people happy than the few people who whine about them being clones.

Gravijah

I never got the reason why people got upset with clones. I personally think there should be more clones. Clones get us more characters as with less development time.

being a clone isn't really a bad thing since the characters end up playing different anyway. people just take it as an insult, and some use it as an insult.

How different are the properties of his moves? I don't play SF enough to know.

pretty different.

I don't think Lucas or Wolf should be referred to with the same terminology as, say, the six Melee clones, but there's no doubt that they were based on Ness and Wolf, and that less work went into designing their moveset than, say, Lucario or ROB. I don't really have a problem with that, but it definitely counts for something.

On that subject, I don't think there's any way the next Smash Bros. won't have more "derivative characters" like that.

He just doesn't seem very relevant to the series right now. If they are going to add another FE character, might as well promote a new game or add a character with more variety while they're at it.

Right now, I think the only Fire Emblem characters they could add would be Roy or a main character from the newest game. I can't see them going back and adding someone from an older game.

SmithnCo

I don't really mind clones, though I think Toon Link was a missed opportunity. He had enough in WW to make him unique, like using the leaf glide as an up B, or incorporating the grappling hook in addition to the hookshot. Hopefully if he returns he is changed up a little.

Snakey

Neither is Ike. However, Roy was very well-received as a character in Smash Bros. which is all that matters.

In regards to Fire Emblem relevance, one of the higher ups at Intelligent Systems expressed a desire to some day remake FE6. Bringing back Roy for Smash 4 would be a good way to set the stage for a FE6 remake.

- Masayuki Horikawa (Planning Div. Chief Game Designer, Intelligent Systems) would also prefer to make a new game in the Fire Emblem series. Starting on a brand-new game provides an open palette, thus giving more room for innovation. If he were to remake a title, he would choose Fire Emblem: Fūin no Tsurugi. Mr. Horikawa wants a chance to introduce Roy properly.

udivision

PokéKong;34843854 said:
All I get from this post is you're one of those Smasher hardcore elitists from communities who establish strict standards and definitions for terms which most regular people couldn't care less about but you impose upon them anyway.

PK Flash and Ice are the same move. Giving it a different name with altered appearance and speed and range makes it a different move? Guess Ganondorf was never a clone then. I ask again what the definition of a clone is besides stat differences alone.

They obviously started with Ness and made alterations until calling it good, a talented Smash modder probably could've done it. Now I would call that a clone, but if using that word makes some people's skin crawl I'll find another, but the point is they could've and should do more to to give him more of a unique play style in my opinion. I mean he retains moves from Ness despite never actually using them in his original game, that's nearly disrespectful to the source material.

I'm not talkin' about stat differences, or something a "hardcore elitist," would notice. I'm not talking about frame data or stats or speeds or anytning.

I'm talking about Ness uses yo-yos when Lucas uses PK energy, Ness does a thunder shove when Lucas does PK kicks, Ness does a back kick when Lucas does a flip attack, Ness does a stomp when Lucas does a triple PK kick, Ness does a roundhouse when Lucas does a PK swipe with his arm, Ness does a headbutt while Lucas does a bicycle kick...

It does depend on the definition of "clone," but this isn't Young Link, Ganondorf, Roy, Pichu, Dr. Mario & Falco in Melee or Luigi from 64. Those are the kind of clones that were lazy, imo. If, for some reason or another you have to have "cloning," in your game, do it like Falco at the least and Wolf at it's best.

I want a Goo Swarm boss in Adventure Mode. Is that too much to ask for?

2ZwME.jpg

Make it happen, Sakurai.

Roy is probably comparable to Tron Bonne or Sentinel in MvC3. They might not be relevant in their source material now, but they were still popular characters in the crossover games. Roy getting cut from Brawl hurts his chances of returning, though.

I still think they should have not shown all the new characters in the debut trailer for brawl.

it would have been so much better, people would have been hyped anyway since its smash

I hope the level with Kraid swiping the stage returns :(

I think professor layton has a good chance at making it

SmithnCo

I still think Medusa from the new Kid Icarus might be a cool addition, her design is neat anyway, and another magic user would be nice.

Roy is probably comparable to Tron Bonne or Sentinel in MvC3. They might not be relevant in their source material now, but they were still popular characters in the crossover games. Roy getting cut from Brawl hurts his chances of returning, though.

Shuma-Gorath is a good example of that too, lol.

Snakey

I am curious about what will be done with newcomers because aside from Ridley, Little Mac, Miis, and the Mario crew (Toad, Bowser Jr., and Paper Mario), there are several popularly requested characters that have not made a game appearance in years.

F-Zero's last title was released in late 2004. Dixie Kong and K. Rool have not appeared in a game since Mario Super Sluggers, which was released only a few months after Brawl. They also missed the biggest DK game since Donkey Kong 64, Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Its possible that Sakurai could deem this to mean that F-Zero and Donkey Kong do not need a newcomer(s) in Smash 4.

SmithnCo

I wonder if they would consider an Animal Crossing newcomer. A stage is guaranteed, but who knows about a character.

I do think it should at least have an assist, maybe Tom Nook comes out and tosses leaves which turn into furniture around.

Snakey

obviously they will put Panther from star fox assault, just to crush everyone's dreams, dat panther

Hopefully, Smash 4 mostly ignores the Star Fox series after Star Fox 64. Considering that the only new release for the series since 2006 was a port/remake of Star Fox 64, this might actually happen. I wonder if the Star Fox characters (Fox, Falco, Wolf) will go back to their Star Fox 64 designs?

Anth0ny

I don't really give a crap about new characters either. I try to think of a list of characters I want in, but it's either unrealistic (Skull Kid) or realistic but I just don't care (Miis? A new Pokemon rep? Little Mac?)

I'm definitely looking forward to gameplay details more. Cause it could have every character in the history of Nintendo, but if it plays like shit
brawl
I'm not going to be playing the game for very long.

As for clones, there really aren't any in Brawl. Unless you consider Akuma a clone of Ryu.

Snakey

There are definitely much less characters to be hyped about this time than there was for Brawl.

However, I think Sakurai realizes this as well. There was recently talk of the Wii U having some sort of compatability with cards and figurines. Perhaps Smash 4 will utilize trading cards or figures in someway (imagine little figurines resembling the trophies in Smash Bros.) Nintendo would be sitting on a gold mine right there.

Its okay that there are less worthy characters this time around, because there are many different things that could be done to focus on Smash 4.

There better be a Rhythm Heaven stage.

I sure hope so. When they choose to represent franchises lacking characters (or ones that can fight, anyway) with stages, things get awesome. Smashville, Pictochat and Hanenbow are great stages in Brawl- they could do great things with Rhythm Heaven.

Wuhu Island stage is a given.

I'm way more interested in what new stages they come up with than new characters.

I agree with this (to an extent). It was interesting to see how Melee and Brawl represented the games that had been released since the previous Smash Bros., and they mostly did this through stages. It's almost a time capsule of sorts. For instance I'm wondering if they'll even address Other M's existence, or if they'll only include references to earlier Metroid games.

A27_StarWolf said:
I found the new character:

Groose won't be a playable character but (SS spoilers)
he could be a hazard if they include a Sealed Grounds stage

likeGdid

So... I'm thinking Diagonals might be a new thing.

Diagonal + B = 4 new Specials
Diagonal + A = 4 new Smashes

or whatever. We'll probably just be able to trip in the air.

Anth0ny

There already are diagonal smashes for some characters (Mario, Samus, Falcon...)

Diagonal specials would be cool.

But those diagonals can be pretty tricky. Not sure if Sakurai would be willing to put that in the game.

SmithnCo

I liked the idea of chargeable B moves. Still keeps the intuitive and simple nature of Smash, but could be cool if the moves change a lot when charged.

Actually, the next step should be something different.

Play styles.

Each character has three separate sets of play styles.

For Example.

Mario: Neutral mario
Defensive Mario
Offensive Mario

How cool would that be? I think that would add a really cool layer of depth to the game, so the move sets subtly change based on the play style, but they still stick to the theme of the character?

Instead of throwing a fireball, mario chucks one real fast for offense.

Defensive mario doesn't throw a fireball, he holds it in his hand to temporarily block an attack.

Not the best examples, but wouldn't that be neat? You would pick that character at the start of the match, and you can't change it mid match.

You don't need character "modes" to change how you play. If you want to play a defensive Mario then just don't approach as much and focus on punishing. Wanna go aggro, then go for it.

Using that particular example, just adding more options to the fireball attack would be better, IMO. Tap B for classic fireball, hold B and let go for faster+stronger fireball, hold B to charge and tap shield to keep fireball in reserve then tap B to release a shield of fire that blocks attacks and damages nearby enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom