• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If I was intent on creating a game that will have a handheld and console version that will play the same and look more or less the same, I would develop for the handheld first, get it to a level where everything looks nice and plays nice, then just upscale it for the console version.

If Sakurai and friends take that approach for Smash 4, whatever game we end up with won't be reach the full potential of a Smash game that was developed just for the WiiU.

MAtgS

In terms of roster size, time is a far bigger obstacle than space. Filling the Wii u disc would take at least a decade.

SSFIV on 3DS had 35 fighters+FMVs for each of them on a 2GB card. RE Releations I hear is going to be 4GB. By 2014 the limit will most certainly be even higher. Both systems can do DLC, this is not really a factor.

Oh & I forgot someone:
335px-Prince_Fluff.jpg

He was originally the protagonist of Epic Yarn before it became a Kirby game.

Haly

MAtgS said:
Both systems can do DLC, this is not really a factor.
This is Nintendo we're talking about. An accessible and stable online infrastructure is already a pipe dream. To cite DLC capability as a reason for anything is nothing short of delusional.

But if those numbers for SSFIV DS are accurate then I'm not as worried.

MAtgS said:
& now for the controversial pick,
6. Kevin Keene (Captain N, the Game Master)
cn_tev_sticker_captainn.jpg

Let me go over my reasons:
A. He would certainly fit the spot of WTF final character ala G&W & ROB
B. He's looooong overdue a reboot. Batman survived Adam West, Justice League survived the Super Friends, why can't this guy get a second chance?
C. It'd be interesting seeing him updated to more current hardware, using the Wii Zapper instead of NES Zapper or having a long range grab with the IR pointer.
D. Yes, Nintendo owns the rights to him not DiC.

You know, this sounds fucking awesome. Also a new cartoon reboot using the super smash trophy story and master hand as main villian. Call the series Super Smash Bros if you need to.
I would also use the princess form that series. You need a girl that isnt a nintendo stablished character and can work well Captain N. Make her a fighting girl with character (and not the princess type) and it would be awesome.
Heck, this two only visiting Nintendo worlds could make a fantastic series.
Too bad we are not in the 80 and 90's anymore.

NeonZ

I think what he's saying is that he doesn't want Smash WiiU to have to suffer so that they can get more or less the same game onto the 3DS, which I can easily see happening. It would suck to have a smaller roster just because they want both the WiiU and 3DS versions to have the exact same cast.

Basically he wants Smash 3DS to be a secondary goal, something more like a port than a game developed alongside the console version.

MAtgS said:
He's going to be very disappointed, because the way Sakurai described it at E3 3DS version is like Poke'mon RBY & Wii U is like Poke'mon Stadium.

Huh... I don't see how you went from one point to another. That interview makes it pretty clear that the 3DS and WiiU games will be different.

They apparently will have some connectivity and you'll be able to build up characters in the 3DS version and show them off in the WiiU version, but that doesn't mean the WiiU version will be just a complement to the 3DS version or that they'll attempt to make them equivalent. It's pretty clear that they'll focus on different elements.

The 3DS game will focus on some kind of single player & co-op building up mode and the WiiU game will be a more traditional Smash game.

Closing off the little section offering vague hints about the new Smash Bros. Games, Sakurai said that his aim with the 3DS version is to offer players a slightly different experience from conventional Smash Bros. Games.

People wanted Captain N for Brawl before. The trouble is that he's great nostalgia for Americans, but doesn't register one bit for the Japanese audience. (I'm unclear on whether the series was aired in any parts of Europe, or other regions.) I'm not sure if there's been any picks like that in the Smash series before now, whether for characters, assist trophies, what have you.

It would be like asking for Nester from the Ninendo Power comics, who did technically feature in a game already, but only in the US.

Gravijah said:
here's who would be removed if clones are removed

Luigi
Falco
Wolf
Lucas
Toon Link
Ganondorf

removing luigi, huh? alright i'm ok with removing clones~

I know I'm weird, but I play with Luigi, Falco, Lucas, and Toon Link more than I play with their counterparts who they were 'cloned' from. Clones show up in basically any fighting game that has a large roster, and I think between Melee and Brawl they made each of them different enough that they didn't feel the exact same time. I'd hate to see clones removed.

Retro

Kulock said:
People wanted Captain N for Brawl before. The trouble is that he's great nostalgia for Americans, but doesn't register one bit for the Japanese audience.

There have been lots of Japanese-exclusive stuff in Smash Bros. before. I look at the series as basically a playable museum of all things Nintendo. That includes stuff like Captain N.

Kulock said:
People wanted Captain N for Brawl before. The trouble is that he's great nostalgia for Americans, but doesn't register one bit for the Japanese audience. (I'm unclear on whether the series was aired in any parts of Europe, or other regions.) I'm not sure if there's been any picks like that in the Smash series before now, whether for characters, assist trophies, what have you.

It would be like asking for Nester from the Ninendo Power comics, who did technically feature in a game already, but only in the US.

The thing is, this a fanservice game with an encyclopedia of Nitendo history (the trophy room). Just go nuts.
Im sure people would say, who the fuck is this chracter, read about it, and laugh or be more interested in it.

We got fire emblem thanks to having Marth and Roy in melee.

Haly

Lucas was just Sakurai trolling us.

What troll value would Captain N have?

Gravijah

Incendiary said:
I know I'm weird, but I play with Luigi, Falco, Lucas, and Toon Link more than I play with their counterparts who they were 'cloned' from. Clones show up in basically any fighting game that has a large roster, and I think between Melee and Brawl they made each of them different enough that they didn't feel the exact same time. I'd hate to see clones removed.

i don't mind clones, i enjoy 'em even. lucario>metwo fo sho.

Halycon said:
Lucas was just Sakurai trolling us.

What troll value would Captain N have?

if lucas and other m3 related stuff was sakura "trolling" us, i want to be trolled every day.

Haly

Luigi was way better than mario in both Melee and Brawl.

(Also Lucas > Ness

PK FIAH)

Haly

Weren't the FE characters a marketing ploy for FE7?

Azure J

To this day, I still think the character of Captain N inspired Mike Jones in StarTropics. I also think he'd be great as another western counter pick to all the eastern (or eastern first before exposure in Smash -- looks at FE) franchise picks that got heavy representation over the years in the series. The problem is, he has no game established unto himself and 80s/90s nostalgia might not be valid enough a reason for him to be included.

Edit: Lucas is my favorite new addition in the Smash series. Just sayin'.

GamerSoul

syrup_3.png

megaman.jpg
littlemac-artwork-punch-out-wii-big.jpg

Image-Lyndis.jpg

and a Golden Sun Character
for my wtf pick:
impa
impa.png

Idk, my picks have diminished overtime. I'd jus like a new and improved game at this point.

Big One

Banned
Billychu said:
Then why wouldn't they put in Eliwood, Lyn or Hector? Roy was marking for FE6 which wasn't out yet.
Probably cause they weren't concepted (as main characters) at the time. Roy was the up and coming star of the latest and greatest Fire Emblem game. Makes perfect sense for him to be there.

Haly

Oh yeah, replace Marth with Lyn plzkthx.

Retro said:
There have been lots of Japanese-exclusive stuff in Smash Bros. before. I look at the series as basically a playable museum of all things Nintendo. That includes stuff like Captain N.
Captain Rainbow has a lot higher chance than Captain N.

Haly

Billychu said:
Keep Marth, replace Ike with Chrome, add in Lyn.
Wait who is Chrome.

Also why do you hate fighting for your friends.

Haly

Chet Rippo said:
Why not have all four?
Why not have all four? Indeed, why not have alt costumes of every sword-wielding FE protag for Marth (not just recolors but actual model changes)?

The world will never know.

Just saying, if they're only going to have 1-2 from a serious I'd rather have Lyn than Marth.

Oh yeah, bring back Pichu and make him SSS tier.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Halycon said:
Why not have all four? Indeed, why not have alt costumes of every sword-wielding FE protag for Marth (not just recolors but actual model changes)?

The world will never know.

Just saying, if they're only going to have 1-2 from a serious I'd rather have Lyn than Marth.
I said that for Brawl. Why not have alternate costumes that were actually different characters? This is a fanservice game, it's easy to justify that. It doesn't matter if they play the exact same as long as there are enough unique characters.

MAtgS

NeonZ said:
Huh... I don't see how you went from one point to another
The handheld pokemon are the main games because they have the most content. If 3DS version has more content because of its single player, how is it not the more important game?

Gravijah

MAtgS said:
The handheld pokemon are the main games because they have the most content. If 3DS version has more content because of its single player, how is it not the more important game?

the handheld pokemon games aren't the main games because they have the "most content", they're the mainline games because they are the focus of the entire franchise. everything revolves around them. new pokemon, new regions, new moves, new battle mechanics, etc.

GamerSoul

MAtgS said:

hmm...so how many delays do you think they will have so that they are able to make both games cohesive with one another? I agree with the point you bring up about it's content, it is a good possibility especially if we are expected to probably pay full price for its 3DS counterpart. I don't think it's importance will be more than the WiiU's version because it will undoubtedly be one of its flagship games for probably its life time.

MAtgS

Gravijah said:
the handheld pokemon games aren't the main games because they have the "most content", they're the mainline games because they are the focus of the entire franchise. everything revolves around them. new pokemon, new regions, new moves, new battle mechanics, etc.
They had the idea for the 3DS version before Wii U. The Wii U version sounds to be more of the same while 3DS is breaking new ground. That sounds like a bigger deal to me.

Gravijah

MAtgS said:
They had the idea for the 3DS version before Wii U. The Wii U version sounds to be more of the same while 3DS is breaking new ground. That sounds like a bigger deal to me.

i don't see either game as being "more important" than the other.

GamerSoul

Halycon said:
If I was intent on creating a game that will have a handheld and console version that will play the same and look more or less the same, I would develop for the handheld first, get it to a level where everything looks nice and plays nice, then just upscale it for the console version.

If Sakurai and friends take that approach for Smash 4, whatever game we end up with won't be reach the full potential of a Smash game that was developed just for the WiiU.

You're probably right, there's a lot of different routes they could take to create both games but that could be the one they take, it wouldn't make much sense to create two games that play totally different but who knows at this point.

Wow, I hope this won't get too fanboyish, but let me see if I can find my old fan-game summary text file...

Yep, got it! Take note that my list was meant to be somewhat realistic, since development time/resources and pleasing as wide an audience as possible are often at odds with one another:

Super Smash Bros. 4 Roster

Bold – New Character
Italics – Alternate Costume

Super Mario Bros.
  • Mario | Dr. Mario
  • Luigi (Updated Moveset with Poltergeist 3000) | Mr. L
  • Peach | Rosalina
  • Bowser | Dry Bowser
  • Geno | Human Form (I can't think of a better one...)

The Legend of Zelda
  • Link (Twilight Princess Appearance) | Fierce Deity Link
  • Zelda (Skyward Sword Appearance) | Zelda (Retro/ALttP Appearance)
  • Ganondorf (Original Moveset) (OoT Appearance) | Ganondorf (The Wind Waker Appearance)

Metroid
  • Samus | Fusion Suit Samus
  • Ridley | Meta-Ridley

Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong | Donkey Kong (Arcade Appearance)
  • Diddy Kong | Donkey Kong Jr.
  • King K. Rool | Kaptain K. Rool

Kirby
  • Kirby | Yarn or Crayon Kirby
  • Meta Knight | Galacta Knight
  • King Dedede | Masked Dedede

Star Fox
  • Fox (64 Appearance) | James McCloud
  • Krystal (Command Appearance) | Krystal (Dinosaur Planet Appearance)
  • Wolf (Assault Appearance) | Wolf (64 Appearance)

Pokémon
  • Pikachu | Pichu
  • Mewtwo | Rocket Test-Subject Mewtwo

Yoshi
  • Yoshi | Boshi

Wario
  • Wario (WarioWare Appearance) | Wario (Wario Land Appearance)

Pikmin
  • Olimar | Louie

Fire Emblem
  • Marth | Sigurd
  • Ike | Roy

Mother
  • Ness | Ninten
  • Lucas | Claus

F-Zero
  • Captain Falcon | Captain Rainbow
  • Black Shadow (Captain Falcon Moveset Clone) | Zoda (StarTropics) Appearance

Kid Icarus
  • Pit | Uprising-Related Costume, or 80s-style Pit artwork if Uprising has no candidates

Ice Climbers
  • Ice Climbers | 80s Artwork Appearance

Game & Watch
  • Mr. Game & Watch | Mrs. Game & Watch

Custom Robo
  • Ray Mk. III | Ray 01

Advance Wars
  • Andy | Will

Golden Sun
  • Isaac| Felix

Animal Crossing
  • Animal Crosser | Female Animal Crosser
(Note: Need better name than Animal Crosser...)

Punch-Out!!
  • Little Mac (Wii Appearance) | Little Mac (Super Nintendo Appearance)

Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic | Metal Sonic

Mega Man
  • Mega Man (Classic) | Bass (Or any number of potential candidates, I just picked Bass since Treble could replace Rush easily in a potential moveset)

Castlevania
  • Simon Belmont | Trevor Belmont (Or Richter, or Julius, or a dozen other candidates...)

Pac-Man
  • Pac-Man | Ms. Pac-Man

Total New Characters: 10

I'm only trying to be conservative, but if there are any extra slots I have dozens of potential candidates (and probably at least one or two more Pokémon characters need to be added to the roster). A quick shortlist of mine includes every veteran from past games plus candidates such as:

• Takamaru
  • Vaati
  • Deoxys
  • Saki
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Ryu (Street Fighter)

...And lots more. Any candidate not selected in this list would be almost be guaranteed to be an assist trophy, in addition to characters such as the following:

Assist Trophies
  • DeMille (Tomato Adventure)
  • Ouendan (Osu! Tatake! Ouendan!)
  • Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight)
  • Mike Jones (StarTropics)
  • Fawful (Mario & Luigi : Superstar Saga)
  • Professor Layton & Luke (Professor Layton and the Curious Village)
  • Midna (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
  • Starman (Mother)
  • Sturm (Advance Wars)
  • Doshin (Doshin the Giant)
  • Kyle Hyde (Hotel Dusk: Room 215)
  • The Black Knight (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance)
  • The Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
  • Glass Joe (Punch-Out!!)
  • Tiki Tak Tribe (Donkey Kong Country Returns)
  • Alucard (Castlevania)
  • Proto Man (Mega Man)
  • Tails (Sonic the Hedghog)
  • Inky, Blinky, Pinky and Clyde (Pac-Man)

And some stages!

Stages
  • Bowser's Castle (Super Mario Bros.)
  • Mario Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy)
  • Sacred Realm (The Legend of Zelda)
  • Tourian (Metroid)
  • SR388 (Metroid II: Return of Samus)
  • Tallon IV (Metroid Prime)
  • Kaptain K. Rool's Ship (Donkey Kong Country 2)
  • Tiki Tong's Lair (Donkey Kong Country Returns)
  • Dracula's Castle (Castlevania)
  • Dr. Wily's Lair (Mega Man)
  • Death Egg (Sonic the Hedgehog)
  • Maze (Pac-Man)

And hell, a snippet of my item list:

Items
  • Kuribo's Shoe (Super Mario Bros. 3)
  • Power Bomb (Super Metroid)
  • Djinn (Golden Sun)
  • Rambi (Donkey Kong Country)
  • Power Pellet (Pac-Man)

And without going too far into it, I also dreamed up a huge, expansive single-player adventure that involves Nintendo characters crossing into each others' worlds. Some of the scenarios include the following:

Underworld
Ganondorf, vanquished by the Master Sword, awakens to find himself in the bowels of Hell. In an effort to escape his fate, he crosses paths with a fiery swordsman who has selflessly journeyed into the underworld to rescue his father...
(Involves: Ganondorf, Ike, Pit)

Exile and Redemption
Exiled from his homeland, a discouraged Prince wallows in dishonor. Lost in this land of dreams, another ousted member of royalty convinces the Prince to aid him in recovering his own kingdom. This quest gives the Prince the courage to return to his own homeland and lead a grand assault against the dreaded Shadow Dragon.
(Involves: Marth, King Dedede, and an enormous number of characters during the latter turn-based strategy portion of the conflict.)

An Unlikely Band of Heroes
A young boy is desperately trying to protect his friends and family from a growing darkness that is enveloping the land. In his efforts he recruits a psychic girl, a boy genius, and a magical swordsman as they thwart the dark forces that threaten them.
(Involves: Ness, Krystal, Andy, Isaac)

The Greatest Catch
Captain Falcon has chased a bounty to the mysterious planet of Zebes. Little does he know that another bounty hunter is chasing the same prey...
(Involves: Samus, Captain Falcon)

Of Pain and Anguish
Every night, a corrupted dragon writhes in pain at the top of Yoshi's Island. The intrepid Yoshi natives have decided to organize an expedition: Their bravest will journey to the top of the island's mountain in an effort to quell the great beast.
(Involves: Yoshi, Ridley)

Stardust Crusaders
Popo and Nana were enjoying a carefree day when an enormous star fell from the sky and crashed on the tallest peak, Icicle Mountain. Their curiosity will lead to a contract to protect a major figure in the conflict against evil.
(Involves: Geno, Ice Climbers)

Basically, it's an epic, non-linear, episodic adventure that has each level involving a new cast of interesting characters.

And I'll shut up now. Suffice to say, I could go on and on...

Costumes should be costumes, not alternate characters for the most part.

Retro said:

Right, my point was that, realistically, it's pretty one directional. They're much more likely to pick obscure Japanese characters than obscure American characters like Captain N and Nester, at least if the first three titles are anything to go by.

GamerSoul

Halycon said:
I don't think NoJ remembers Geno.

Maybe one of the next Smash Developers will...and then he will be turned down by Sakurai. lol. I don't understand the Geno love but I'm sure few understand why I think Capt. Syrup will make it in.

Only if they create a poll that wouldn't create devastation, chaos and the like.

Azure J

ShockingAlberto said:
The only character I absolutely, 100% expect to be in there is the human swordsman from Kid Icarus Uprising.

He is Sakurai's new Metaknight.

I'd say all of the Kid Icarus cast has a shot for Smash 4 given the push Sakurai's been giving them and the IP as a whole.

Medusa is gonna be godlike. :p

Needs more Paper Mario stuff. There's so much potential for great stages and music, just from the first one. Although the best stage would be the Glitz Arena from Thousand Year Door. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom