• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakey

First time I've disagreed with you in this thread, but I forgive you for trashing Geno and Krystal though.

At the very least I don't think Waluigi is important enough in comparison to other Mario characters (Toad, Paper Mario, Bowser Jr.) to warrant playable status. Waluigi and Geno are simply characters that don't deserve to be in (but may have their merits in their own games), while Krystal is both a trash character in her own series and a character that does not deserve to be in. Aside from Krystal, I can really think of any other Nintendo characters that make people go "DO NOT WANT" except possibly Tingle, but even he has some charm.

Why I'm not surprised with Prof. Beef hating on duck hunt. The same guy who hate or never play most of good games. :B

I never said I hated Duck Hunt. I just don't think the dog would make a good character.

AND I'M SORRY I DON'T HUNT DOWN RARE AND OBSCURE GAMES THAT I'VE NEVER HEARD OF, PEOPLE. CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME?

qq more

As far as Star Fox designs are involved - go blame Japan. Apparently according to Iwata people hated the "serious" design in Melee, Adventure and Assault. Though it seems Star Wolf managed to survive their Assault designs.

I hated Fox's serious design too. He looks way too GRRRRRRRR to be the Fox McCloud I know. With that said, I don't mind Wolf's Assault design though.

EDIT: @Snakey, you're right though that Waluigi isn't really important. And I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't make it to SSB4. But I still think he deserves to be playable, he can be the rep for the Mario sport series. Move-set wise.

Anth0ny

Also why people like 64 Wolf design? He looks like shit there.

fkQt4.jpg

He has an eyepatch. nuff said.

However, I am digging his OG Star Fox design.

Aside from Krystal, I can really think of any other Nintendo characters that make me go "DO NOT WANT" except possibly Tingle.

Tingle is possibly the most qualified character who isn't in yet. He's starred in four games, and been in at least five others. I can't think of any other Nintendo character with better stats (except Stary and Mii).

I'd rather take an Amazin' flying hammer brother or Heavy Zed over Waluigi for a Mario rep, at least those guys appeared in actual Mario platformers. Hell Waluigi can't even get in Wario or Luigi games where he could actually be relevant the poor sod.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
fkQt4.jpg

You're implying that the new one is just a "modernized" eyepatch. If anything the eyepatch in 64 feels out of place what with all the technology :p

I hated Fox's serious design too. He looks way too GRRRRRRRR to be the Fox McCloud I know. With that said, I don't mind Wolf's Assault design though.

Star Wolf in Assault is pretty much perfect.

And I prefer Fox's Melee design the best. Pretty much fox-like without looking too serious or too cutesy (Command).

Since when was Crystal in Star Wolf? Did they kick her out because they stopped forgetting how to do barrel rolls?

No, that was Mother 3.

I think Metroid Prime definitely should get some more representation, but it would be disappointing to see it replace the mainline Metroid stuff in Smash Bros.

...Shit, you have a point there. OK, it's either Prime or MOTHER 3. Don't make me choose. And I'm not asking for a replacement, just fair representation.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I never said I hated Duck Hunt. I just don't think the dog would make a good character.

AND I'M SORRY I DON'T HUNT DOWN RARE AND OBSCURE GAMES THAT I'VE NEVER HEARD OF, PEOPLE. CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME?

I was being sarcasm. Hence the :B.

I just like to ribbing you about that because you dislike FF6.

Actually, I am ticked that people are not willing to look beyond Duck Hunt Dog because he have potential to be joke and wtf character which would belong in group of G and W and R.O.B.

Edited:

Beefy,
I do forgive you but I am not going to forgiving you for picking waluigi over duck hunt dog. :p

I was being sarcasm. Hence the :B.

I just like to ribbing you about that because you dislike FF6.

Actually, I am ticked that people are not willing to look beyond Duck Hunt Dog because he have potential to be joke and wtf character which would belong in group of G and W and R.O.B.

I was being sarcastic too, hence the capslock. ;3

Ithil

I'm just a few hours into Skyward Sword, and I need to echo other people's sentiments that Ghirahim needs to be in SSB4. Dude is cracking me up, and has an easily put together moveset.

I've only met him twice in the game so far, and briefly, and he's already made a huge impression on me.

fkQt4.jpg

All of his designs are pretty sweet, really, but Assault's is the best.

A duckhunt stage has a lot of potential. Make it totally flat with no edges to fall off just like the G&W stages, have the characters walking in knee-high grass that conceals them when crouching. Have a red reticule appear on screen every 25 seconds or so that shoots a duck flying by and, if a character is between the reticule and the duck at the time, they'll get zapped as well. Throw in a snickering dog and I'd say you've got a good stage.

?oe?oe

Y'know, I've never thought about it, but... SHY GUY. He has quite an arsenal - he can use a spear, pea shooter and he has a propeller. Shy Guy is pretty cool, you must admit.

Snakey

I think they should just give Wolf his own specials and Final Smash (that is only four moves) that way he can be a completely unique character. He should also be a starter next time.

Boss Doggie

star wolf was in star fox snes? fdshlkfdkldffldsf 0_o

lol dat Panther B^)

Honestly the only good thing Krystal ever did is introduce Panther. Now THAT is a new character in Star Fox I totally welcome.

I think they should just give Wolf his own specials and Final Smash (that is only four moves) that way he can be a completely unique character. He should also be a starter next time.

They just need to replace his Up B and B. His other moves are pretty fine. Maybe change his B to a sniper rifle like in Assault and his Up B into a jetpack dash attack that is not horrible.

Ithil

A duckhunt stage has a lot of potential. Make it totally flat with no edges to fall off just like the G&W stages, have the characters walking in knee-high grass that conceals them when crouching. Have a red reticule appear on screen every 25 seconds or so that shoots a duck flying by and, if a character is between the reticule and the duck at the time, they'll get zapped as well. Throw in a snickering dog and I'd say you've got a good stage.

You could, if that stage is too simple, do an "NES" stage for stuff like Duck Hunt or other very simple NES games that it switches out for.

Though that's awfully similar to the Warioware stage.

In any case, while many of the stages in Brawl were very good and varied, there were definitely not enough, and not organised very well. Some franchises got 2/3 stages, others only got 1 (and big franchises at that).

I think I'd like for every single character to get a stage. Or at minimum all the start characters get a stage (which would be 75% of the roster I imagine). That could potentially be a lot of stages, of course, but it'd be a good, clean system. Now you'd miss out on cool non-character stages like Pictochat if you only did that, but you could include a cache of non-character stages too.

If you did this, assuming Brawl has 45 characters or so (including cuts and additions), you'd have well over 50 stages. I'm sure everyone would be happy with that, apart from the devs who have to select and design them

Ithil

The Final Smash is a given. There were next to no repeat Final Smashes in Brawl, thankfully, but even a single one is too much. Movesets are one thing, they're hard to put together and balance as well as make unique, but Final Smashes should not be difficult. It's one big attack, and it doesn't even need to be directly from the game series the characters from (like Mario's, for example, it suits him and is logical for his powerups, even if it's not from one of the games). Three Landmasters was pretty ridiculous.

qq more

I don't think they'd ever make a generic Mario enemy a playable in Smash.

I think they should just give Wolf his own specials and Final Smash (that is only four moves) that way he can be a completely unique character.
Agreed. ESPECIALLY the final smash. He doesn't even own a Land master for god's sake.

He should also be a starter next time.
In speaking of, I hope they actually make unlockables feel more meaningful in SSB4 like Melee did. I find it awkward how Ness and Captain Falcon became unlockables again all of a sudden (especially after they were starters in Melee) and most unlockables were veterans which made unlocking not so exciting.

Ithil

It just seems logical to make most of the unlockables newcomers. Not all, obviously, but unless they've always been an unlockable like Jigglypuff or someone, it's just odd and unnecessary for a veteran to suddenly be an unlockable.

Not to keep harping about Melee, but it did the unlockables right for characters.

Snakey

I don't think they'd ever make a generic Mario enemy a playable in Smash.

Agreed. ESPECIALLY the final smash. He doesn't even own a Land master for god's sake.

In speaking of, I hope they actually make unlockables feel more meaningful in SSB4 like Melee did. I find it awkward how Ness and Captain Falcon became unlockables again all of a sudden (especially after they were starters in Melee) and nearly every other unlockables were veterans which made unlocking not so exciting.

I also think so too. The only veterans that should be hidden characters are clones (or Luigified clones), Jigglypuff for tradition's sake, and Brawl's two guests if they come back.

Captain Falcon, Mr. Game & Watch, Marth, ROB, Wolf (given different specials), and Ganondorf (with a new moveset) should definitely be starters next time.

Wolf's Final Smash should be calling in Star Wolf for an airstrike, while Falco's new Final Smash should be him piloting an arwing and aiming a crosshair on screen (though it might be too similar to Snake's Final Smash).

He should also be a starter next time.

Controversial opinion: Honestly I wouldn't mind scrapping the idea of character and stage unlocks. Stuff like music or costumes, sure, but core functionality in such a multiplayer-centric game should all be there from the start.

qq more

It just seems logical to make most of the unlockables newcomers. Not all, obviously, but unless they've always been an unlockable like Jigglypuff or someone, it's just odd and unnecessary for a veteran to suddenly be an unlockable.

Not to keep harping about Melee, but it did the unlockables right for characters.

Yeah, Melee really made unlockables felt rewarding. Brawl's aspect of that felt... bleh. :( And I'm a bigger fan of Brawl in general!

Snakey said:
I also think so too. The only veterans that should be hidden characters are clones (or Luigified clones), Jigglypuff for tradition's sake, and Brawl's two guests if they come back.
Agreed. Clones works very well as unlockables since they're basically just alternatives of existing characters.

Snakey said:
Wolf's Final Smash should be calling in Star Wolf for an airstrike, while Falco's new Final Smash should be him piloting an arwing and aiming a crosshair on screen (though it might be too similar to Snake's Final Smash).
I like these ideas, but yeah Falco's Final Smash feels too close to Snake's. Hmmm...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I don't know why they had to put 3 landmaster.

I thought Falco would be way better if he used arwing and attack everyone with flight mode. (Latio and Latia pokeball effect) Awhile Wolf would get his own Wolfen and attack everyone with a sight target and smash buttons to shoot the lasers.

Naw, I like character unlocks. Just make the starting roster a bit bigger, and make the main draws instantly available. If 3rd party characters return, make them instantly available (unless there's a good few of them).

PokéKong

Most characters received some updates to reflect their most recent games, but after THREE Primes Samus is still entirely Super Metroid inspired, right down to her animations.

I may be a much bigger SM fan than a Prime fan, but I at least want to see them put a nice shiny coat of paint on Samus, less candy orange, more shiny brass, glowy green doodads all over.

Less
zerosuit_samus_080208d-l.jpg

more
i_2664.jpg

The difference would be subtle but effectively convey that Samus isn't just an interpretation of an oldschool character, she's still around and in business. All her move effects are still cartoony interpretations of 16-bit sprites. I admit some of the Prime ones may not work as well, like the glowy orb Morph Bombs, but at least do some things like change the effect of that flamethrower to more like the Plasma beam from Prime.

As for locations, they nailed it with the Frigate. But that's the best they ever did, no other Metroid stages have ever come close to capturing the look and feel of actual game locations. I say they need to focus on replicating some more classic Metroid areas before sticking in a few more Prime ones.

I am of the opinion that there are no other characters in the Metroid franchise which warrant inclusion of playability in SSB. No matter how much I love Metroid and how unfair it seems it only have Samus, the likes of Dark Samus and Ridley feels like scrapping the bottom of the barrel again. Ridley served his purpose perfectly well in Brawl, and I hope he returns as a boss again in some form of Adventure mode. The efforts of tossing in unnecessary Metroid enemies is better off spent in better level design, Samus design, and especially some good quality music this time.

Xenoblade sold pretty well, didn't it? It seems like that game doesn't get brought up much in Smash Bros. discussions, but I bet Shulk has a decent shot.

Boss Doggie

I still can't see what B moves would make Wolf "unique" though - all they need is to be tweaked since Claw Blaster, Wolf Flash and Reflector are pretty good. It's his Up B that needs to be changed.

I don't know why they had to put 3 landmaster.

I thought Falco would be way better if he used arwing and attack everyone with flight mode. (Latio and Latia pokeball effect) Awhile Wolf would get his own Wolfen and attack everyone with a sight target and smash buttons to shoot the lasers.

So it's like Snake's except less shitty?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Xenoblade sold pretty well, didn't it? It seems like that game doesn't get brought up much in Smash Bros. discussions, but I bet Shulk has a decent shot.

We already mention shulk quite much lately, and I know they mention him in middle of thread long time ago.

About unlocking, Brawl was underwhelmed imo.

It's a fucking miracle, given her colour scheme, that Retro's art team managed to make Samus look good in realistic, grittier conditions. Not using that in Brawl was a big waste- and it certainly wouldn't look out of place, considering TP Link and Snake were both present.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I still can't see what B moves would make Wolf "unique" though - all they need is to be tweaked since Claw Blaster, Wolf Flash and Reflector are pretty good. It's his Up B that needs to be changed.

So it's like Snake's except less shitty?

Yeah, less shitty such as no delay with attack because lasers are fast. :p

You know how snake's grenades would take few seconds to land on stages which annoyed me.

Ithil

It's weird too, because it's not like Metroid didn't get much stuff, it got two new stages and some returning ones despite only having one character, and got several bosses in singleplayer.

Maybe Sakurai just likes Super Metroid best.

Yeah, I think it is pretty clear that Sakurai respects Metroid. He just chose to represent it with stuff from the main series, probably because Prime isn't that popular in Japan (although I wonder what he personally thinks about it - his twitter makes him seem pretty open-minded about western games).

KevinCow

Banned
Duck Hunt level: The ducks are the platforms. There are always 3 to 5 active ducks at a time, flying around randomly. They'll occasionally get shot down or fly away, and occasionally new ones will fly onto the screen.

If you fall into the grass at the bottom, you don't die immediately. The dog pops up holding your character, laughs, then drags you down to your death.

Snakey

I think since Smash 4 may only have a small number of newcomers, we may again see where only four newcomers are kept hidden up until the game's release (with Brawl it was Wolf, ROB, Lucario, and Toon Link).

IconMario.png
IconDonkeyKong.png
IconLink.png
IconSamus.png
IconKirby.png
IconFox.png
IconPikachu.png
IconMarth.png
IconMrGW.png
IconMii.png

IconLuigi.png
IconDiddyKong.png
IconZeldaSheik.png
IconRidley.png
IconMetaKnight.png
IconFalco.png
IconPTrainer.png
IconIke.png
IconIceClimber.png
IconSnake.png

IconPeach.png
IconKingKRool.png
IconGanondorf.png
IconPit.png
IconKingDedede.png
IconWolf.png
IconLucario.png
IconRoy.png
IconROB.png
IconSonic.png

IconBowser.png
IconYoshi.png
IconToonLink.png
IconPalutena.png
IconOlimar.png
IconCFalcon.png
IconJigglypuff.png
IconNess.png
IconTakamaru.png
IconMegaMan.png

IconToad.png
IconWario.png
IconSaki.png
IconMedusa.png
IconStarfy.png
IconBShadow.png
IconMewtwo.png
IconLucas.png
IconLittleMac.png
IconRandom.png

Using this roster as an example, maybe Ridley, Palutena, Takamaru, and Mega Man are the first batch of newcomers unveiled for Smash 4. Later on, K. Rool, Toad, Little Mac, and Mii are shown on the Dojo. While Medusa, Black Shadow, Saki, and Starfy are kept hidden.

Boss Doggie

Yeah, less shitty such as no delay with attack because lasers are fast. :p

You know how snake's grenades would take few seconds to land on stages which annoyed me.

Yeah, and you're forced to fire quickly because there's a hidden timer too.

It'd be hilarious however if Fox and Falco changed their final smashes yet Wolf retained Landmaster.

Duck Hunt level: The ducks are the platforms. There are always 3 to 5 active ducks at a time, flying around randomly. They'll occasionally get shot down or fly away, and occasionally new ones will fly onto the screen.

If you fall into the grass at the bottom, you don't die immediately. The dog pops up holding your character, laughs, then drags you down to your death.

On a similar note...

Balloon Fight level: It's, well, Balloon Fight. Looking identical to the NES game. Little bird dudes whizz around, there's some flippers, those fucking clouds are there, and yeah there's the fish too.

Making single-screen NES games into levels seems cheap, but hey, it's easy.

SmithnCo

If Little Mac gets in, there should be a Punch-Out!! stage too, with a lot of cameos from the Wii game. Don't know how they'd make it interesting though, maybe it could be like Silph Co. where different boxers enter the ring and attack like the Pokemon did.

D: That sounds like nightmare fuel, lol.

I definitely could see them doing more retro stages after the DK and Mario Bros. ones in Brawl. A Duck Hunt stage is now one of my most wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom