• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokéKong

I was quite fond of the mostly flat levels that aren't suspended in the air but have some pits and death by being knocked too far off. I really missed Melee's Mushroom Kingdom and Mushroom Kingdom II (actually Subcon), and I guess adding some stuff like Duck Hunt would be nice, but there's not much going on there visually. Put some of the mountains and trees from the skeet shooting in the background maybe?

I'd rather just get the Balloon Fight stage. And on that note, I'd put in one huge vote to replace Ice Climbers with Balloon Fighter completely as the retro Nintendo representation.

Snakey

Balloon Fight was easily a much better game than Ice Climbers, however, I am against the Ice Climbers being cut (or any other character for that matter).

Sakurai also already ruled out the Balloon Fighter as a playable character, saying "if his balloons popped, he would not be able to do much of anything."

SmithnCo

Balloon Fight was easily a much better game than Ice Climbers, however, I am against the Ice Climbers being cut (or any other character for that matter).

Sakurai also already ruled out the Balloon Fighter as a playable character, saying "if his balloons popped, he would not be able to do much of anything."

That is such a weird excuse... Almost every fan-moveset gives him a move where he can re-inflate balloons. It would be a cool mechanic, kinda like Olimar where he would be underpowered unless he has balloons with him.

Snakey

Sakurai also ruled out other retro characters for weird reasons too:

Excite Biker: Would not work because all the stages would need ramps.
Urban Champion: There is little he could do.
Bubbles: (I forgot what he said).
Balloon Fighter: Would not be able to do anything after his balloons popped.

He ultimately went with the Ice Climbers as the character to represent the early NES/Famicom games.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also they need to fix "cling" type recoveries (they're called tether recoveries?). Make them less sucky.

SmithnCo

Also they need to fix "cling" type recoveries (they're called tether recoveries?). Make them less sucky.

Yeah they don't work as well as they probably should. I fistpumped whenever I managed to screw someone out of a ledge grab with a tether though, such a great trollish way to screw someone over.

KevinCow

Banned
No ExciteBiker.

ExciteBot!

Between the arm, the transforming, and the utter nonsense like PIE FACE, you could come up with a crazy move set.

Unfortunately, I think it's another one of those games nobody at Nintendo really remembers exists.

By that logic he should have ruled out Captain Olimar because "If his Pikmin die, he would not be able to do much of anything."

Where there's a will, there's a way. I don't really care to see Balloon Fighter in the next smash bros, but you'd have to be dense to think that Sakurai was considering putting Balloon Fighter in, was too stupid to think up a way to replace his balloons once they popped, and proceeded to deem the character unfit for the series. He knew plenty of ways to make Balloon Fighter work but didn't want to say "Sorry, Balloon Fighter sucks" to any of the fans.

SmithnCo

No ExciteBiker.

ExciteBot!

Between the arm, the transforming, and the utter nonsense like PIE FACE, you could come up with a crazy move set.

Unfortunately, I think it's another one of those games nobody at Nintendo really remembers exists.

Yeah, I think the best we might get is a stage or assist trophy. A stage that deforms, with trucks racing by like the Mario Kart or F-Zero stages would be neat.

Anth0ny

Melee is always the answer.

Bring back Melee air dodge and Melee tether. Problem solved. Imagine if Olimar could grab any part of the stage rather than just the ledge.

SmithnCo

So for those reading this topic, when do you think Smash 4 will be unveiled? I am guessing E3 2013.

Yeah... 2012 is probably too early for a full reveal trailer, unless they put together a short teaser.

2013 seems about right, and Smash would be huge at E3.

Thores

Sakurai also ruled out other retro characters for weird reasons too:

Excite Biker: Would not work because all the stages would need ramps.
Urban Champion: There is little he could do.
Bubbles: (I forgot what he said).
Balloon Fighter: Would not be able to do anything after his balloons popped.

He ultimately went with the Ice Climbers as the character to represent the early NES/Famicom games.

He said that Bubbles would "only be able to go round and round".

He said all this in his usual quirky half-joking style, by the way. So yes, the reasons are dumb, that's because some of them were jokes. What he was serious about was coming to the conclusion that they weren't viable. And with the exception of maybe Balloon Fighter (even in that case it's far from my most desired retro character), I'd agree with him.

Snakey

He said that Bubbles would "only be able to go round and round".

He said all this in his usual quirky half-joking style, by the way. So yes, the reasons are dumb, that's because some of them were jokes. What he was serious about was coming to the conclusion that they weren't viable. And with the exception of maybe Balloon Fighter (even in that case it's far from my most desired retro character), I'd agree with him.

Yeah, he likes to joke around a lot too. For example, when he was asked what his favorite character for Smash 64 was he said Captain Falcon, and then listed "Favorite character for Smash 2: Mach Rider."

I think there was a later entry asking him why he liked Mach Rider, and Sakurai just joked that he liked the sound of his name.

I think with the Brawl journal entries, for a request about Toad, Sakurai kept mixing up the names for Toad (his Japanese name is Kinopio) with Pinnochio in his response to the request. Sakurai can sometimes have a strange sense of humor (though maybe the humor does not cross language barriers well).

So for those reading this topic, when do you think Smash 4 will be unveiled? I am guessing E3 2013.

Definitely not. Smash bros was one of the very few games that Nintendo announced at last E3. It doesn't make sense that in a year's time they wouldn't have anything to show for it. My money's on this E3. Teaser trailer with emphasis on the new super-HD-wowzers character models, logo, official name and "2013" as a release date.

Snakey

Definitely not. Smash bros was one of the very few games that Nintendo announced at last E3. It doesn't make sense that in a year's time they wouldn't have anything to show for it. My money's on this E3. Teaser trailer with emphasis on the new super-HD-wowzers character models, logo, official name and "2013" as a release date.

Man, you are going to be severely disappointed if you are expecting a 2013 release date. I don't expect Smash 4 to be released any sooner than Q4 2014.

When they announced it, they said work wouldn't begin until Kid Icarus Uprising was complete and that they still had to recruit a team to work on it. Best case scenario for this E3: re-skinning Brawl with some HD assets to put into a sizzle reel.

PokéKong

I sure hope they just call it Super Smash Bros 4, not just to go along with the Mario Kart trend, but even fans can tell from here on adding extra words that mean the same thing is just going to get silly.

And I can just imagine the announcement trailer.

A bunch of boring old footage of boring old Smash Bros.

Then close up of the logo.

9Lwoe.png

And slowly it changes to something to the effect of

uOAQp.png

*crowd goes crazy*

Snakey

That would put roughly an extra year between announcement -> release for SSB4 than there was for Brawl.

Development just ended a few weeks ago for Kid Icarus Uprising. It took 3 years for Kid Icarus Uprising to be done. Brawl's development began in October 2005 but did not finish until December 2007.

I am expecting development for Smash 4 to take three years due the game being in development for two platforms (of which will have completely different focuses).

Man, you are going to be severely disappointed if you are expecting a 2013 release date. I don't expect Smash 4 to be released any sooner than Q4 2014.

I mentioned this a few pages back, but Brawl timeline was:

2005 (E3) - Brawl announced, before any work had begun; Sakurai not even asked to do it yet
2005 (late) - First work started
2006 (E3) - First trailer
2007 (late) - Tentative launch
2008 (early) - Actual launch

I'd say Iwata is expecting SSBU in 2013, and Sakurai will delay it at least into the spring of the following year. I fully anticipate a trailer this E3 (Nintendo's ultima weapon against rival console announcements).

Vidiot

Everyone is assuming the WiiU version is going to be shown but I think the #DS version will release first. I think I remember reading that working on Kid Icarus was like practice with the #DS for the next Smash Bros, or something like that.

I fully anticipate a trailer this E3 (Nintendo's ultima weapon against rival console announcements).

That's another good point. Nintendo knows that Smash Bros, Zelda, a mainline mario game or an extremely ambitious new IP are the only things that will tip the E3 showing in their favor. That said, I won't be bummed out if their isn't a smash teaser as I fully expect the game to be early in development and thus show us next to nothing, but I'll be surprised considering that would mean that they chose to mention it last E3 and then act like it doesn't exist a year later when it's actually in the process of being made.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I expect the game between Q2 to Q4 2014 but yeah.

I can predict that they would follow Brawl pattern;

2005 - 2011 = announced new SSB
2006 - 2012 = small teaser
2007 - 2013 = Dojo or flow of information
2008 - 2014 = release date

J@hranimo

Banned
I have a question about King K. Rool. I'm not the biggest Donkey Kong fan nor do I pay too much attention to the games, but the last game I remember him being in was Donkey Kong 64. Was that the last DK game by Rare and does his character not being in any newer DK game have anything to do with rights? It just seems weird that a main villain would just disappear from existence.

I have a question about King K. Rool. I'm not the biggest Donkey Kong fan nor do I pay too much attention to the games, but the last game I remember him being in was Donkey Kong 64. Was that the last DK game by Rare and does his character not being in any newer DK game have anything to do with rights? It just seems weird that a main villain would just disappear from existence.

No, he was in the DS games too.

spanks

I think the best-case-scenario for us is a CG trailer that reveals a few newcomers, a la Brawl. I bet the art people at Sora don't have anything better to do right now, or they could even outsource it. Nintendo made a pretty big deal out of Smash 4 last E3 when they had absolutely nothing to show, so it'd be weird if they just ignored it this year.

Snakey

K. Rool was in Paon's Donkey Kong games (King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Barrel Blast), however, he was absent from Jungle Beat and Country Returns. I think the last video game appearance for both him and Dixie Kong was actually Mario Super Sluggers (released a few months after Brawl).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
K. Rool was in Paon's Donkey Kong games (King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Barrel Blast), however, he was absent from Jungle Beat and Country Returns. I think the last video game appearance for both him and Dixie Kong was actually Mario Super Sluggers (released a few months after Brawl).

That led me to other question about King Rool. Why he didn't debut again for DKCR?

J@hranimo

Banned
No, he was in the DS games too.

Ah ok. So he's pretty much a shoo-in as a character lol. At least he should be.

Snakey

The only characters that I would be surprised if they were not newcomers for Smash 4 are Ridley, Little Mac, K. Rool, and Mega Man. Other than that, I don't think there are any other characters that are guaranteed.

J@hranimo

Banned
I know it's been stated before, but I also see Saki Amamiya as a strong possibility. Heck Sakurai said it himself on the Dojo as him being a great inclusion and getting quite a few requests. If he or whoever was in Sin & Punishment 2 don't get in then I'll be very surprised.

Retro tired of the constant comparisons to Rare; wanted to do their own thing.

something something citation needed something etc
Also think having the same antagonists would've made people assume Returns was a remake and not a sequel

that doesn't explain the lack of animal buddies or Funky

The only characters that I would be surprised if they were not newcomers for Smash 4 are Ridley, Little Mac, K. Rool, and Mega Man. Other than that, I don't think there are any other characters that are guaranteed.

I know Ridley a fan favorite/last all-star etc but I'd wager he won't be on the playable roster, and not for size reasons. Dixie Kong will make it in before K Rool as well.

Snakey

I know Ridley a fan favorite/last all-star etc but I'd wager he won't be on the playable roster, and not for size reasons. Dixie Kong will make it in before K Rool as well.

I see no reason why Ridley would be excluded this time, especially considering he is probably the most well known Nintendo character (outside of the Mario universe) that is not yet playable. As it stands, I think he will probably be among the first few newcomers unveiled.

The only reason why Dixie Kong would get in (and K. Rool would not) would be if Sakurai decides to utilize that moveset he had for Dixie Kong leftover from Brawl's development, so he just puts her in over K. Rool for the sake of convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom