• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

I don't see why any of them should go.

Anyway, what about Crono as a Square representative? No?

I haven't really played CT much but I really wouldn't mind Crono being in Smash. Unfortunately, SE doesn't really give a shit about anything other than FF (ESPECIALLY)/DQ/KH.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't think those will happen. Sakurai will be considering every possibility long and hard, no doubt- a set of base rules for whether or not a character can be included or not seems unlikely. (Beyond what Sakurai has said so far, at least, but that basically consists of 'must be from games')

The only stipulation that Sakurai put on third party characters during Brawl's development was that they had to be a video game character originally that appeared on a Nintendo console at least once. He made no mention of them debuting on a Nintendo console. And I really don't understand what you mean by "generic third party inclusions." Any third party character is going to be a special case no matter who it is, by sheer virtue of Nintendo having to work with an outside company.

I simply mixed two and two though, the "why Snake/Sonic got in" and "my rules of 3rd parties" involving the devs.

Snakey

No one commented on the topic of Sheriff in regards to a possible "surprise" character, so I will just repeat what I wrote:
As for Sheriff, I am talking about the titular character from the Nintendo arcade game, Sheriff. Sheriff is probably Nintendo's first video game character, debuting in 1979, one year before Mr. Game & Watch, and two years before Mario and Donkey Kong. It would be interesting to have an Wild West sheriff character in Smash Bros., however, considering an important part of Wild West sheriffs is their revolver guns, perhaps he is not viable. Though maybe he could be given a NES/Famicom zapper that is the size of a revolver and have it shoot energy bullets instead of actual bullets?

cednym

Banned
No one commented on the topic of Sheriff in regards to a possible "surprise" character, so I will just repeat what I wrote:
As for Sheriff, I am talking about the titular character from the Nintendo arcade game, Sheriff. Sheriff is probably Nintendo's first video game character, debuting in 1979, one year before Mr. Game & Watch, and two years before Mario and Donkey Kong. It would be interesting to have an Wild West sheriff character in Smash Bros., however, considering an important part of Wild West sheriffs is their revolver guns, perhaps he is not viable. Though maybe he could be given a NES/Famicom zapper that is the size of a revolver and have it shoot energy bullets instead of actual bullets?

The big problem with Sheriff, as you mentioned, is that realistic firearms are not something that Sakurai would consider for Smash Bros. Without that, Sheriff is essentially worthless, and I don't think the NES Zapper would fit his character at all (both aesthetically and the fact that Sheriff is an arcade game that precedes the Zapper by five years).

Pull a Sonic Generations and allow both Classic and Modern versions of many characters. Modern Mario/Kotabe-style Mario, Skyward Sword or Wii U Link/NES Poofy Hair Link, etc.

Pull a Sonic Generations and allow both Classic and Modern versions of many characters. Modern Mario/Kotabe-style Mario, Skyward Sword or Wii U Link/NES Poofy Hair Link, etc.

Wouldn't this affect hitboxes and such? I dunno if there's any need for old versions of many Nintendo characters anyway, except for Link (which is different anyway, given the fact "Link" is like 8 different characters).

Cheebo

Banned
I wonder if the game is going to be held back in anyway, such as character amount limitations due it being ported across Wii U and 3DS with compatability between both. As as it constraining the staff in general since they are working on two games at once.

udivision

I'd rather everyone just get a alt costume like Wario. I mean, dang. Wario got an alt. That way we could Doctor Mario, Dry Bowser, TP Link, Mr. L, Roy, etc... without wasting character slots.

cednym

Banned
This is the best I can think of for an unconventional retro character in the vein of Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B.

Instead of the laughing dog from Duck Hunt… you control the duck! They're technically the stars of the game, and they have a trophy in Melee. The name of the character would be "Duck & Dog," or something similar, and you move around as a duck with an AI-controlled dog sneaking around behind you (think Ice Climbers).

However, the duck only attacks directly with its standard attacks — pecking, wing flapping, and stuff like that. Smash attacks see the dog grabbing the bird around the neck and swinging it in various directions, but if you separate too far from the dog, you can't use these (think Olimar).

Standard Special Move - Zapper
The dog fires an NES Zapper as the duck narrowly avoids it by flying up.

Side Special Move - Pounce
The dog crouches and leaps forward at the opponent as the duck narrowly avoids it by flying up.

Up Special Move - Flight
The bird rockets up at an angle as the dog grabs on to its feet.

Down Special Move - Pick Up Scent
If you stray away from the dog, he will sniff around, get excited, and run back behind the duck.

Final Smash - Duck Hunt
Like Snake's Final Smash, a reticle appears over the screen and you fire a Zapper. When the animation begins, the dog jumps off-screen and the duck begins flying around the stage controlled by the AI. If you accidentally hit the duck, the Final Smash ends prematurely. Otherwise, shoot the opponent(s) as much as you can in the allotted time.

Javier

I believe the rule wasn't "It must have originated on a Nintendo system". It was "No character that didn't originate in a video game" and "No character that was never on a Nintendo system".

Sonic and Snake were eligible under those rules.

salsa as playable character?

Salsa.png

illadelph

I would be pissed if Travis touchdown got in. No More Heroes is cool and all, but he's a bench player, not an all-star.

Edit: List of "worthy" 3rd party characters off the top of my head:

Mega Man
Pac-Man
Bomberman
Ryu (Street Fighter)
Ryu (Ninja Gaiden)
Simon Belmont
Banjo-Kazooie (sigh)
Slime/Chrono/Old School FF character
maybe Rayman

cednym

Banned
MOTHER 3 is great, but people are too often biased in their approach to looking at Smash Bros. There hasn't been a new game in the series since then, so why would a new character be included? Ness and Lucas are the extent of playable MOTHER characters we'll see in Smash Bros. 4.

Snakey

MOTHER 3 is great, but people are too often biased in their approach to looking at Smash Bros. There hasn't been a new game in the series since then, so why would a new character be included? Ness and Lucas are the extent of playable MOTHER characters we'll see in Smash Bros. 4.

Perhaps ever.

Itoi (the creator, writer, and director for the Mother games) basically declared the series over.

At this point, the only thing I see in the series future is a compilation game containing all three Mother games.

Besides Mother, I think Kirby and Star Fox are basically complete in terms of playable characters. I think Zelda is too, though there are some that think Tingle or Ghirahim should be added.

illadelph

I wouldn't like to see Sheriff simply because Sheriff was a pretty shitty game. And this is coming from someone who loves old stuff...I mean a lot of G&W games are awesome.

Snakey

I wouldn't like to see Sheriff simply because Sheriff was a pretty shitty game. And this is coming from someone who loves old stuff...I mean a lot of G&W games are awesome.

Besides Duck Hunt Dog and Sheriff, I have not heard any other ideas for another character in the same vein as Mr. Game & Watch and ROB.

I have not heard anyone else in this thread come up with any other ideas in regards to this topic. However, I am certain Sakurai will find something that will give Smash fans the same reaction as Mr. Game & Watch and ROB did.

cednym

Banned
Perhaps ever.

Itoi (the creator, writer, and director for the Mother games) basically declared the series over.

At this point, the only thing I see in the series future is a compilation game containing all three Mother games.

Besides Mother, I think Kirby and Star Fox are basically complete in terms of playable characters. I think Zelda is too, though there are some that thing Tingle or Ghirahim should be added.

Yeah, there's definitely no reason to add to the Kirby and Star Fox rosters. They're well represented, and anybody else would feel like filler for the sake of expanding the cast. (I've seen Waddle Dee come up often. Really?!)

I'm not sure why people think Ghirahim has a chance at being playable. The only one-off characters to be playable in Smash Bros. have been the main characters of their games (Ness, Lucas, Roy, and Ice Climbers). Ghirahim's no different than a character like Zant or Midna, but I suppose some people never learn. He's good Assist Trophy material and nothing more.

Snakey

There are also some that say Mario is complete too.

Basically, the only two veteran series that really need characters added to them at this point are Metroid (Ridley) and Donkey Kong (K. Rool and/or Dixie Kong). I would also say F-Zero needs a newcomer (Black Shadow or Samurai Goroh), though there are some that feel that the series being in hiatus since 2004 means it should be skipped over again.

Kid Icarus might be worthy of a newcomer or two depending on how well Uprising does and how it is received (as well as how much Palutena and Medusa are requested for Smash 4).

There's nothing delusional about a twice-dead wrestler who used to be a bad-ass biker taking on a blue-blood narcissist who married the boss' daughter and is now primed to take over the company!

Exactly, now delusional would be believing that said event will actually deliver.

As for the sheriff idea mentioned earlier, no thanks, it would be a overly retro homage that no one would really care for, I wouldn't even know about Sheriff if it weren't for Wario Ware.

KevinCow

Banned
After playing a bit of Rolling Western, Dillon could be interesting. They could incorporate the tower defense thing into his character by letting him set up turrets around the stage.

SmithnCo

That would require them recognizing Mother 3 as a video game. Count your blessings you people got Lucas.

Brawl had a good amount of mother 3 stuff, even the Pokey statue and boss, which was surprising. Flint and Kumatora would make good assists too.

As for a character in the vein of G&W and ROB, they could go really weird and have a character that incorporates early Nintendo toys like the Ultra Hand. Not entirely sure if it would work if it didn't originate in a game though.

After playing a bit of Rolling Western, Dillon could be interesting. They could incorporate the tower defense thing into his character by letting him set up turrets around the stage.

I've been enjoying the way Dillon fights and I love the design, sadly he's probably too low key to be playable. But on the other hand if Ice Climbers can get in then I guess he's not entirely out of luck yet.
I've recently got to the point where you get bomb items so Dillon can use them for projectiles.

Boss Doggie

K, Dillon time.

Whenever Dillon hits something, he earns ores. When he defeats an enemy he gains more ores too.

B - Claw Spin. A short claw combo which releases more ores than usual.
UB - Russ Copter. Russ appears to carry you up to the sky. Can perform a diving roll attack which puts Dillon in a fully charged Rolling Attack.
SB - Rolling Attack. Rolls while invincible. Charge to gain momentum and speed. Can be followed up with the powerful claw smash with A or a multihit rolling attack with B.
DB - Build Tower. Requires specific amount of ores. Pressing near existing towers will upgrade them. Basic -> Shotgun -> Gatling -> Cannon. Can only upgrade with full health tower, as performing this on damaged tower will repair it instead.
Final Smash - Arma-Mode. Super armor, powerful rolls, ores come out more plentiful, faster repair/upgrade.

illadelph

While we are on the topic, how would everyone like a character from Pro Wrestling? Would be a cool ass throwback in my opinion. I would go with Star Man or the Amazon.

aaaawrestling2.PNG

Boss Doggie

Ookami, that's fucking awesome. Those towers would need to be easily destructible, mind.

Well not necessarily easily destructible, but more on the costly side. It'd be hilarious however if the metagame becomes NO ITEMS DILLON ONLY TOWERS ONLY FINAL DESTINATION

Well not necessarily easily destructible, but more on the costly side. It'd be hilarious however if the metagame becomes NO ITEMS DILLON ONLY TOWERS ONLY FINAL DESTINATION

Haha, indeed. You'd need to limit either vulnerability, cost or power, I guess. Or just say he can only have 3 present at a time? Really neat idea though.

Ookami, that's fucking awesome. Those towers would need to be easily destructible, mind.
I fear their edge hogging prowess if it were to happen, but yeah it's a good moveset.

While we are on the topic, how would everyone like a character from Pro Wrestling? Would be a cool ass throwback in my opinion. I would go with Star Man or the Amazon.
Nintendo should resurrect this as a modern game, it would likely beat THQ/Yuke's recent wrestling efforts, i'm going with the Amazon myself.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This is the best I can think of for an unconventional retro character in the vein of Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B.

Instead of the laughing dog from Duck Hunt… you control the duck! They're technically the stars of the game, and they have a trophy in Melee. The name of the character would be "Duck & Dog," or something similar, and you move around as a duck with an AI-controlled dog sneaking around behind you (think Ice Climbers).

However, the duck only attacks directly with its standard attacks — pecking, wing flapping, and stuff like that. Smash attacks see the dog grabbing the bird around the neck and swinging it in various directions, but if you separate too far from the dog, you can't use these (think Olimar).

Standard Special Move - Zapper
The dog fires an NES Zapper as the duck narrowly avoids it by flying up.

Side Special Move - Pounce
The dog crouches and leaps forward at the opponent as the duck narrowly avoids it by flying up.

Up Special Move - Flight
The bird rockets up at an angle as the dog grabs on to its feet.

Down Special Move - Pick Up Scent
If you stray away from the dog, he will sniff around, get excited, and run back behind the duck.

Final Smash - Duck Hunt
Like Snake's Final Smash, a reticle appears over the screen and you fire a Zapper. When the animation begins, the dog jumps off-screen and the duck begins flying around the stage controlled by the AI. If you accidentally hit the duck, the Final Smash ends prematurely. Otherwise, shoot the opponent(s) as much as you can in the allotted time.

Exactly what I had in my mind but only two moves are different. I already announced my support for last 15-20 pages and I really want to see it happens. Few people think he is waste of space and against the concept of Duck Hunt Dog.

Also I already posted the picture of his moveset in like last 25 pages.

Boss Doggie

Haha, indeed. You'd need to limit either vulnerability, cost or power, I guess. Or just say he can only have 3 present at a time? Really neat idea though.

Well, if it's worth noting, I think he can't upgrade when the tower is damaged.

I fear their edge hogging prowess if it were to happen, but yeah it's a good moveset.

Hahahahaha yeah, that'd be fun. It's offset by the fact that he's lighter than usual and his main offense are towers.

I could imagine Sakurai putting Dillon in.

And he'd have the same moveset as Sonic except he's slow.

Which is sad :(

cednym

Banned
This is what I've been saying, they should give it to Next Level Games after the amazing job they did with Punch-Out!!

In the unlikely event that Nintendo resurrects Pro Wrestling, they'll probably have AKI/syn Sophia develop it. They worked with Nintendo on the Style Savvy game, and they obviously have a history with the wrestling genre.

Snakey

Yeah, there's definitely no reason to add to the Kirby and Star Fox rosters. They're well represented, and anybody else would feel like filler for the sake of expanding the cast.

I'm not sure why people think Ghirahim has a chance at being playable. The only one-off characters to be playable in Smash Bros. have been the main characters of their games (Ness, Lucas, Roy, and Ice Climbers). Ghirahim's no different than a character like Zant or Midna, but I suppose some people never learn. He's good Assist Trophy material and nothing more.

Yeah. There is also the point where Skyward Sword was the poorest selling 3D Zelda in Japan. I don't think Zelda needs a new character.

I wonder if Smash 4 will use designs from the Wii U Zelda instead. Aonuma did say that they wanted to get the next console out by 2014 (which will also be around the same time that Smash 4 is released). I don't think the Zelda team will accomplish that, but I do think Skyward Sword is going to be a much older game by the time Smash 4 will likely release (over three years old) than when Twilight Princess was when Brawl was released (a little over a year old).

Yeah, but there's also the thing where Snake's a well-known character from a multi-million selling series and Travis Touchdown isn't. Sakurai is friends with a lot of people, and I'm sure he knows better than to just throw in any old character. He's very selective when it comes to roster inclusion.
No More Heroes is unmistakably Wii and Nintendo. And Fire Emblem was pretty much completely unknown outside of Japan but Marth and Roy's inclusion expanded that audience to the rest of the world. Having Travis in Smash would probably boost interest in the first 2 games and would be great promotion if there's a No More Heroes 3 planned for the WiiU. He's also an awesome character, I can easily see why a lot of people would want him in Smash.

However, if he did make it in he'd probably be so watered down so that Smash could secure that T rating and at that point we have to ask ourselves if it would be worth it. I personally don't think Travis has a chance but I still wish for it.

Boss Doggie

A attacks for Dillon:

AAA - triple claw attack
side tilts - jab that results in more ores
up tilt - hat smack
down tilt - tail whip
air a - rolling attack like Wolf's
side air a - an aerial headbutt, actually slightly moves him to the side
down a - downward claw swipe
up a - somersault in air
fsmash - dual claw smash that makes him move forward, hit a again at the end of the attack for a powerful uppercut
dsmash - dig on the ground; longer charge means longer ground time, but can pop up immediately by pressing A for an uppercut
usmash - throws hat upward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom