• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanks

Besides Duck Hunt Dog and Sheriff, I have not heard any other ideas for another character in the same vein as Mr. Game & Watch and ROB.

No love for Nester? He was the mascot for Nintendo Power Magazine and even had his own Virtual Boy game. He could even double as a Pilotwings rep, since he appeared in that.

Besides Mother, I think Kirby and Star Fox are basically complete in terms of playable characters. I think Zelda is too, though there are some that think Tingle or Ghirahim should be added.

Yeah, I agree. Pokemon and FE will probably keep refreshing characters, since the main characters change so much. Mother, Starfox and Kirby don't have any more major characters. DK, F-Zero and Wario have at least one more usable major character.

I would be pissed if Travis touchdown got in. No More Heroes is cool and all, but he's a bench player, not an all-star.

Edit: List of "worthy" 3rd party characters off the top of my head:

Mega Man
Pac-Man
Bomberman
Ryu (Street Fighter)
Ryu (Ninja Gaiden)
Simon Belmont
Banjo-Kazooie (sigh)
Slime/Chrono/Old School FF character
maybe Rayman

Yep, totally agree with this list.

Unlike most people, I could see Cloud as a representative of Final Fantasy in general. But I have a bit of a bias, since I remember I used to think of him as a rival to Link, in the same way that Sonic was a rival to Mario. Although I get why he isn't popular.

As for Sherrif's gun problem, he could be rendered in retro (3D?) pixel art, so his 'bullet' would just be a floating pixel. I doubt the censors would have a problem with that. Then again, I think Mr G&W is enough to carry the retro-design gimmick. Otherwise, Sherrif could be a blank slate for Sakurai to design any kind of cowboy character he wants. I think Flint and Dillon are much more well defined though.

While we are on the topic, how would everyone like a character from Pro Wrestling?

Star Man 4 lyfe!
Amazon's pretty cool too

MAtgS

Unlike most people, I could see Cloud as a representative of Final Fantasy in general. But I have a bit of a bias, since I remember I used to think of him as a rival to Link, in the same way that Sonic was a rival to Mario. Although I get why he isn't popular.
I've had the idea of Square & Nintendo doing a sort of student exchange program: Link is a guest fighter in a 3DS Dissidia entry while Cloud in turn joins SSB4. Link's presence is justified by his "cameo" in FFI while the 3DS Dissidia itself is the justification for Cloud in SSB.

I've had the idea of Square & Nintendo doing a sort of student exchange program: Link is a guest fighter in a 3DS Dissidia entry while Cloud in turn joins SSB4. Link's presence is justified by his "cameo" in FFI while the 3DS Dissidia itself is the justification for Cloud in SSB.

Will people please, please stop with this. Smash Bros is not about third party characters, nor has it ever been.

Snake was in because Hideo Kojima pretty much begged for it, and Sonic is significant because of his long rivalry with Nintendo.

Cloud's never been in a game on a Nintendo system. It makes 0 sense for him to be there. If anything, have a Black Mage or Cecil.

Will people please, please stop with this. Smash Bros is not about third party characters, nor has it ever been.

Snake was in because Hideo Kojima pretty much begged for it, and Sonic is significant because of his long rivalry with Nintendo.

Cloud's never been in a game on a Nintendo system. It makes 0 sense for him to be there. If anything, have a Black Mage or Cecil.

Yes. Smash Bros is supposed to be about all things Nintendo. If they opened their doors all the way to third party characters, I don't see how obscure, but interesting characters like Ice Climbers or Rob could justify their place in the lineup.

I can see the next Smash having 2-3 new guest characters max. One from Square-Enix, one from Capcom. One from Tecmo-Koei (or maybe Rayman, considering how close Nintendo and Ubi Soft are these days.)

BTW, I hope they don't take Ike out. But since Crom will most likely be in...I just don't see them having three blue-haired swordsmen... :(

Snakey

No love for Nester? He was the mascot for Nintendo Power Magazine and even had his own Virtual Boy game. He could even double as a Pilotwings rep, since he appeared in that.

Yeah, I agree. Pokemon and FE will probably keep refreshing characters, since the main characters change so much. Mother, Starfox and Kirby don't have any more major characters. DK, F-Zero and Wario have at least one more usable major character.

The problem with Nester is that Sakurai most likely does not know who he is. Heck, StarTropics received absolutely no content in Brawl. I think even the Nester bowling game was only released in North America.

As for series that are "complete" and don't need a newcomer here is my assessment:
Kirby
Star Fox
Mother/EarthBound
Yoshi
Pikmin
Wario
Zelda

Super Mario is a "maybe", it would be fine either with or without a newcomer, since all of the core characters have already been in since Melee.

Metroid only needs Ridley, Donkey Kong needs K. Rool and Dixie Kong, F-Zero needs Black Shadow or Samurai Goroh. I would personally prefer Mewtwo and Roy coming back over the the next flavors-of-the-month for Pokemon and Fire Emblem. The Kid Icarus goddesses (Palutena and Medusa) also look promising, especially for those who want "more female characters".

I personally would like to see a bigger focus on giving smaller Nintendo series a newcomer this time around. Little Mac from Punch-Out being the most obvious.

cednym

Banned
What scares me about Little Mac, despite being the perceived "most likely character" by a lot of people, is that Punch-Out!! was never a big deal in Japan, and Japan has historically been the only country that mattered to this series.

Because boxing never caught on in Japan like it did in America in the '80s, Punch-Out!! was created to appeal to the West. The Wii version of Punch-Out!! isn't even a first-party game, so I'm not sure if Sakurai really sees that as bringing the franchise back from out of the dead. As a modern character, Little Mac's in an awkward position, and as a retro character, he doesn't quite matter enough to Japan. There's also the problem that all he does is punch, and Sakurai wrote the Urban Champion off as a playable character for Melee because that's all he does, too. (Speaking of Melee, Little Mac didn't even get a trophy there.)

Little Mac is one of my most wanted characters, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him excluded. It's easy to think he's as a shoo-in speaking as an American, but Sakurai might not see him that way.

What scares me about Little Mac, despite being the perceived "most likely character" by a lot of people, is that Punch-Out!! was never a big deal in Japan, and Japan has historically been the only country that mattered to this series.

Because boxing never caught on in Japan like it did in America in the '80s, Punch-Out!! was created to appeal to the West. The Wii version of Punch-Out!! isn't even a first-party game, so I'm not sure if Sakurai really sees that as bringing the franchise back from out of the dead. As a modern character, Little Mac's in an awkward position, and as a retro character, he doesn't quite matter enough to Japan. There's also the problem that all he does is punch, and Sakurai wrote the Urban Champion off as a playable character for Melee because that's all he does, too. (Speaking of Melee, Little Mac didn't even get a trophy there.)

Little Mac is one of my most wanted characters, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him excluded. It's easy to think he's as a shoo-in speaking as an American, but Sakurai might not see him that way.

Metroid has always been considered more popular in the US. You can even make the argument about Zelda these days too.

Punch-Out!! is very popular internally at Nintendo- at least, that's the vibe I've always gotten from them- so I'd say Mac's chances are high.

@Shamrock: Metroid's regional popularity is of little significance when Prime and Super are consistently acknowledge as some of the greatest games ever created.

cednym

Banned
Metroid has always been considered more popular in the US. You can even make the argument about Zelda these days too.

Yeah, but it's more about presence than sales numbers. Metroid has always "mattered" a lot more to Nintendo than Punch-Out!!. There are, what, a dozen games with the Metroid name? There are five Punch-Out!! games, and Super Punch-Out!! wasn't even released in Japan until 1998 as a flash ROM.

Yeah, but it's more about presence than sales numbers. Metroid has always "mattered" a lot more to Nintendo than Punch-Out!!. There are, what, a dozen games with the Metroid name? There are five Punch-Out!! games, and Super Punch-Out!! wasn't even released in Japan until 1998 as a flash ROM.

And there is only 3 Earthbound/Mother games. I fail to see your point

edit: Maybe a little harsh. I understand what you are trying to day, but I just don't think it applies.

I'll join the Roster party:

Core Roster:

SmashRoster.jpg

Snake and Sonic are cut. 48 selectable characters, plus spaces for Random and DLC. Third party characters will be DLC to clean up licensing issues for future re-releases. I'm not putting Palutena in here, rather leaving Kid Icarus to just Medusa as a newcomer.

A large roster of villains (Bowser, K. Rool, Ganondorf, Ridley, Medusa, Black Shadow, King Dedede, Mewtwo, Wolf, and sometimes Wario) should give them plenty of working room for the next subspace.

DLCSmash.jpg

I added Mega Man and Travis Touchdown to DLC because of Mega Man's level of fan requests and Travis' creator's interest. Snake got in not due to fan demand or Sakurai seaking him out, but rather Kojima approaching Sakurai. I could see Suda doing the same, and he has voiced interest in doing so.

Kokonoe

Banned
Something just came to mind. What if with the Wii U version, they do balance update patches?
It seems unlikely, but at the same time it doesn't.

KevinCow

Banned
The fact that Little Mac doesn't really do anything but punch is an unfortunately valid assessment. The only other notable attack in his games is the uppercut.

It wouldn't be hard to come up with a move set for him, but it would be a bit harder to come up with a distinctive move set.

The fact that Little Mac doesn't really do anything but punch is an unfortunately valid assessment. The only other notable attack in his games is the uppercut.

It wouldn't be hard to come up with a move set for him, but it would be a bit harder to come up with a distinctive move set.

Eh, just make moves that involve punches then. That is distinctive, given how every other character has some weapons or elemental shit going on. A normal dude throwing punches is fairly unique for Smash,.

Roo

It sad you guys cme with some great newcomers for the game
but Nintendo probably won't look at them even sideways.

I hope they follow their Brawl pattern and show something for this E3
at least a small teaser, not asking a full trailer =P

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Eh, just make moves that involve punches then. That is distinctive, given how every other character has some weapons or elemental shit going on. A normal dude throwing punches is fairly unique for Smash,.
You could hold down + b and not take any damage from A attacks, but if you did it for too long you'd turn pink

Here's about 2 seconds of thought put into his B moves. Some are pretty common with other characters, but I think it represents him well-

B - Wind Up Punch
> B - Punch flurry (Keep tapping B to build your combo)
^ B - Uppercut
V B - Counter

alternatively:

V B - Take a seat. Every time you tap B, you regain 1% health but cannot attack, block, or move without breaking the attack.

FINAL SMASH ideas:
some are developed, some are half-formed ideas that could be incorporated together.

1 - Everyone slows down and all punches are extra powerful

2- Doc Louis rides his bike around the screen, crashing into players

3- Chocolate bars rain down, for Mac to heal himself with

4- Tapping B repeatedly allows Mac to recover health

5- Other boxers appear and attack players

Berordn

FINAL SMASH ideas:
some are developed, some are half-formed ideas that could be incorporated together.

3- Chocolate rains down, for mack to heal himself with

These two are basically what I would have envisioned, with Doc dropping chocolate.

Mac's already a fairly versatile assist trophy, so I'm willing to bet there's something in the works for him. Or he gets dropped for Knuckle Joe. Either seems likely given Sakurai.

cednym

Banned
And there is only 3 Earthbound/Mother games. I fail to see your point

edit: Maybe a little harsh. I understand what you are trying to day, but I just don't think it applies.

I brought up the number of games in the series because you were saying that Metroid is more popular in America than in Japan. That is true, but Metroid is also highly regarded in Japan, just to a lesser degree. It's certainly more well-known there than Punch-Out!! is. I don't know what MOTHER has to do with anything, but that series is incredibly popular in Japan, so that kind of helps my case.

SmithnCo

Here's about 2 seconds of thought put into his B moves. Some are pretty common with other characters, but I think it represents him well-

B - Wind Up Punch
> B - Punch flurry (Keep tapping B to build your combo)
^ B - Uppercut
V B - Counter

alternatively:

V B - Take a seat. Every time you tap B, you regain 1% health but cannot attack, block, or move without breaking the attack.

FINAL SMASH ideas:

1 - Everyone slows down and all punches are extra powerful

3- Chocolate bars rain down, for Mac to heal himself with

4- Tapping B repeatedly allows Mac to recover health

5- Other boxers appear and attack players

I think they would incorporate Giga Mac from the Wii game. Maybe as a final smash.

I brought up the number of games in the series because you were saying that Metroid is more popular in America than in Japan. That is true, but Metroid is also highly regarded in Japan, just to a lesser degree. It's certainly more well-known there than Punch-Out!! is. I don't know what MOTHER has to do with anything, but that series is incredibly popular in Japan, so that kind of helps my case.

The Mother series is far from incredibly popular in Japan. Mother 3 didn't even break 400,000 copies if memory serves me correctly.

It's all relative. Those are Call of Duty numbers compared to Punch-Out!! in Japan.

It's not all relative. Nintendo has franchises in Smash that aren't "incredibly popular". Metroid has no significance in Japan, despite what you are trying to spin. The fact that Punch Out isn't popular in Japan won't have a great effect on whether or not Lil Mac is introduced as a playable character, in my opinion. You can look at the F-Zero series as another example of a more popular title in the West if you want as well.

cednym

Banned
It's not all relative. Nintendo has franchises in Smash that aren't "incredibly popular". Metroid has no significance in Japan, despite what you are trying to spin. The fact that Punch Out isn't popular in Japan won't have a great effect on whether or not Lil Mac is introduced as a playable character, in my opinion. You can look at the F-Zero series as another example of a more popular title in the West if you want as well.

I know sales don't matter entirely, and that's what I'm trying to get across when I say "it's more about presence than sales numbers." I do apologize for not knowing how to articulate that. F-Zero isn't a huge franchise, but it has a real pedigree behind it — Nintendo EAD and Shigeru Miyamoto. Punch-Out!!'s just sort of... there, and its first game in fifteen years was developed in Canada.

I think a good example of this is the Metroid Prime series, which was really big in America but insignificant in Japan. Despite being such a breakthrough series, all it has to show for itself in Brawl is a stage and some trophies. Rather than include any of its characters (like the recurring Dark Samus), Sakurai chose to include the (at the time) one-off Zero Suit Samus from the far more Japanese Zero Mission. Hell, Samus' move-set itself has practically no Metroid Prime influence. I remember people being pretty pissed at this back during the days of Brawl.

leroidys

Besides Duck Hunt Dog and Sheriff, I have not heard any other ideas for another character in the same vein as Mr. Game & Watch and ROB.

I have not heard anyone else in this thread come up with any other ideas in regards to this topic. However, I am certain Sakurai will find something that will give Smash fans the same reaction as Mr. Game & Watch and ROB did.

This is the only other one I can think of besides those mentioned that would be comparable:

jBCUn.png

DO NOT WANT

I know sales don't matter entirely, and that's what I'm trying to get across when I say "it's more about presence than sales numbers." I do apologize for not knowing how to articulate that. F-Zero isn't a huge franchise, but it has a real pedigree behind it — Nintendo EAD and Shigeru Miyamoto. Punch-Out!!'s just sort of... there, and its first game in fifteen years was developed in Canada.

You keep changing your reasoning. First it's what's popular in Japan, and I explain that some characters sell far more in the west. Then you say it's the amount of games a franchise has, and Punch Out has more than Mother, which is represented by 2 characters. Then you say there is some sort of intangable quality about some Nintendo Franchises that Punchout doesn't have, as it's only had a recent game and it was developed in Canada.... even though Metroid had a long period between its SNES version and the Gamecube version, something like 8 years... and it was developed by some upstart company in America!

cednym

Banned
You keep changing your reasoning. First it's what's popular in Japan, and I explain that some characters sell far more in the west. Then you say it's the amount of games a franchise has, and Punch Out has more than Mother, which is represented by 2 characters. Then you say there is some sort of intangable quality about some Nintendo Franchises that Punchout doesn't have, as it's only had a recent game and it was developed in Canada.... even though Metroid had a long period between its SNES version and the Gamecube version, something like 8 years... and it was developed by some upstart company in America!

Samus was introduced into the Smash Bros. series far before Prime was even a thought. And I've never changed my reasoning.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound like an ass. Sorry. I think Little Mac has a shot and I'd like to see him in the game, but I'm just trying to introduce an alternative side to the story; you can never be too sure. If I had a nickel for every person that swore Ridley, Krystal, and Bowser Jr. were going to be in Brawl...

SmithnCo

We have the Ice Climbers, Little Mac is definitely more high-profile than them, it just comes down to if Sakurai wants him. In terms of franchises not represented by playable characters Punch-Out is one of the more obvious ones I think.

PokéKong

I agree with the line of thinking that we should be looking at series which have more characters worthy of inclusion, and quit scrapping the bottom of the barrel to add extra characters from series which have less characters present simply for the sake of some sense of the roster being "fair and balanced". Where does that get us? A roster full of lame characters no one cares about distracting from the cool ones. I'd rather have a character select screen that's 1/3rd taken up by Pokemon than have four different versions of Samus, two more characters that look and play identical to Captain Olimar from a distance, and more characters from games that haven't had installments in almost 20 years.

But on that note, I believe Mother has enough great characters to warrant at least one more inclusion. Sales numbers aside, it's a highly respected and admired series among its loyal fanbase and within Nintendo. Plus the characters are just so good and have a lot of potential.

Also try playing as any boxing character in a fighting game such as Dudley and tell me Little Mac only punching is a problem.

SmithnCo

Little Mac should have a charge move where he dons the pink robe and runs forward. I also like the idea of Doc Luis as an assist of sorts for Mac. At least he should be an assist trophy.

Little Mac could smack you in the head with a title belt, see he doesn't have to just punch.
He could also borrow a few tricks from other boxers like Aran Ryan's Rope flung horseshoe filled boxing glove (or his headbutts).
The Bald Bull Charge, Macho Man spin,Tiger teleporting strikes, power up soda, you get the idea.
Okay so granted half the stuff i've listed is unbecoming of Mac with illegal maneuvers and what not but i'm just saying that he's not as limited as he seems.

SmithnCo

Mac also had a couple new types of punches in Super Punch-Out, they could easily fill his A moves with different punches, then have his jumping uppercut for an up-B. With a Doc Luis assist or other type of gimmick he could easily have a nice moveset as well.

Plus his blocking and dodging animations would be great for shielding and sidestepping. Mac's probably my most wanted character for the new game. :>

Snakey

For those in this topic, I am curious where I can find a copy (or scans) of a certain issue of Nintendo Dream (the official Nintendo magazine in Japan). Its the May 6th, 2005 issue. It had the results to an official poll in regards to the most popular characters of the GBA Fire Emblem trilogy. I do know that Roy was ranked first in the poll, but I am curious about the results after that.

spanks

Speaking of Little Mac...

I think Sakurai really like the idea of reviving unexpected retro games and giving them a new lease on life. No one had thought about Ice Climbers for 20 years, for example, when Melee came out. Look what happened to Pit; after his trophy in Melee, people began talking about him again. The response was so big that Sakurai put him in Brawl as a fighter, and that redesign spawned the reimagining of the entire franchise in Uprising.

Do you think Sakurai will try to introduce us to someone new and unexpected again? At this point, I don't think Little Mac or Takamaru would count as a suprise. We need a truly forgotten character, one who might even have the potential to restart their own franchise. What do you guys think?

Mach Rider - People have sort of forgotten about him, despite his model in Melee obviously having as much care put into it as Pit's (maybe even more)
Mike/Anubis (Battle Clash / Metal Combat) - This is barely mentioned, has potential as Nintendo's mech series
Mr Stevenson (Gumshoe) - The adventure game genre is something Nintendo hasn't done for a while
Harry (Teleroboxer) - Probably a bit too similar to Punch Out, maybe better as an eShop title. Alt costume for Lil Mac perhaps?
Coupe (Stunt Race FX) - Although Nintendo already has a bunch of racing games, I could see this as a smaller 3DS game based more on stunts
Spike (Wrecking Crew) - Would be interesting to see this as a Blast Corps type game with destruction physics
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight) - Maybe this could be Nintendo's 3d fighter, kinda like PowerStone
Starman (Pro Wrestling) - Imagine if Aki got to work on a wrestling game again

illadelph

I think Sakurai really like the idea of reviving unexpected retro games and giving them a new lease on life. No one had thought about Ice Climbers for 20 years, for example, when Melee came out. Look what happened to Pit; after his trophy in Melee, people began talking about him again. The response was so big that Sakurai put him in Brawl as a fighter, and that redesign spawned the reimagining of the entire franchise in Uprising.

Do you think Sakurai will try to introduce us to someone new and unexpected again? At this point, I don't think Little Mac or Takamaru would count as a suprise. We need a truly forgotten character, one who might even have the potential to restart their own franchise. What do you guys think?

Yeah, the more retro characters, the better. Smash Bros. has a lot of power and influence....Melee was the reason that North America finally got the Fire Emblem franchise. I'm honestly surprised that nothing has been done with the Ice Climbers yet.

You listed a lot of good ones, I would want Muddy Mole from the Game Boy classic Mole Mania. It would be cool if that game was revived because the whole game's concept (going above and underground to solve puzzles) would be perfectly suited for a dual screen handheld.

Muddy could be an interesting fighter and would resurrect one of Miyamoto's least known creations.

PokéKong

It seems logical to do for Advance Wars what SSB did for Fire Emblem, though they just have to get over the hurdle that it's not as much of a character-based game. Giving more attention to nearly dead franchises such as F-Zero couldn't hurt either.

How about Shin Onigashima?
Don't know anything about it, but I just remember seeing these characters and thinking they seem fun.
gal_ms-t10.jpg

Likewise to every single Custom Robo trophy, though that's not as "retro". And I'm pretty surprised Doshin The Giant didn't at least get an Assist Trophy. I'd go nuts if there was anything Cubivore related, but again that's more Assist Trophy territory.

SmithnCo

Looking at the Wikipedia entry for Shin Onigashima, I wish it had been released outside Japan. It did get Super Famicom and GBA releases, which I didn't know either, and has been referenced in Captain Rainbow, among other games.

The characters would probably make for a cool Ice Climbers-esque team, where you might be able to "switch" who the lead character is while in battle, and unlike the Ice Climbers each character could have unique abilities.

Refugio

Mach Rider - People have sort of forgotten about him, despite his model in Melee obviously having as much care put into it as Pit's (maybe even more)
Mike/Anubis (Battle Clash / Metal Combat) - This is barely mentioned, has potential as Nintendo's mech series
Mr Stevenson (Gumshoe) - The adventure game genre is something Nintendo hasn't done for a while
Harry (Teleroboxer) - Probably a bit too similar to Punch Out, maybe better as an eShop title. Alt costume for Lil Mac perhaps?
Coupe (Stunt Race FX) - Although Nintendo already has a bunch of racing games, I could see this as a smaller 3DS game based more on stunts
Spike (Wrecking Crew) - Would be interesting to see this as a Blast Corps type game with destruction physics
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight) - Maybe this could be Nintendo's 3d fighter, kinda like PowerStone
Starman (Pro Wrestling) - Imagine if Aki got to work on a wrestling game again

Stevenson's design was based on Yokoi if I remember right so it would be cool if they brought him back. Not sure about making an adventure game though. The first game was just such a weird idea that they have to build on that.

Mista Koo

I have not heard anyone else in this thread come up with any other ideas in regards to this topic. However, I am certain Sakurai will find something that will give Smash fans the same reaction as Mr. Game & Watch and ROB did.
I've said Rhythm Heaven guy, he would be exactly like Mr. G&W except his appearance would change from move to move and a different beat would play with each of his moves. He should look like the Karate guy normally since he's the most iconic character.
I only played the DS version but from the top of my head: wrestler posing, glee club member singing, Moai singing, see-saw jumping, fan monkey jump clap, army bird pecking, gardener plowing, frog dancing, lock stepping, etc.

GamerSoul

For those in this topic, I am curious where I can find a copy (or scans) of a certain issue of Nintendo Dream (the official Nintendo magazine in Japan). Its the May 6th, 2005 issue. It had the results to an official poll in regards to the most popular characters of the GBA Fire Emblem trilogy. I do know that Roy was ranked first in the poll, but I am curious about the results after that.

I'm not sure myself, but I also would like to see the results.

I agree with you and I think this idea is possible because the popularity this franchise contains can be incredibly resourceful to Nintendo and reintroducing a character can work wonders. This game can sell a character and franchise to some people just by giving them exposure. I also like the idea of totally revamping an old character and giving them new life. If they could reimagine Pit what could stop them from doing this for other characters?

As for a surprise character, we have pretty much covered a lot of bases so I think the suprise would come from seeing characters that we once thought had little to no chance. But I can never rule out the possibilty of something crazy happening.

Refugio

I've said Rhythm Heaven guy, he would be exactly like Mr. G&W except his appearance would change from move to move and a different beat would play with each of his moves. He should look like the Karate guy normally since he's the most iconic character.
I only played the DS version but from the top of my head: wrestler posing, glee club member singing, Moai singing, see-saw jumping, fan monkey jump clap, army bird pecking, gardener plowing, frog dancing, lock stepping, etc.

They should put the cute dog in my avatar in there too at least as a sticker or something. I don't know where he's from in the games but I found him on a wallpaper.

WELL I'LL BE DAMNED, I'M E-FAMOUS OVER AT GAMEFAQS

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-/62023262

Holy shoot at your friend. Thread should've been about him.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh... Playable Golden Sun character damn it, I don't care who. A waste to not have one of them be one with all the shit they can do.

spanks

Yeah, the more retro characters, the better. Smash Bros. has a lot of power and influence....Melee was the reason that North America finally got the Fire Emblem franchise. I'm honestly surprised that nothing has been done with the Ice Climbers yet.

You listed a lot of good ones, I would want Muddy Mole from the Game Boy classic Mole Mania. It would be cool if that game was revived because the whole game's concept (going above and underground to solve puzzles) would be perfectly suited for a dual screen handheld.

Muddy could be an interesting fighter and would resurrect one of Miyamoto's least known creations.

I can't believe I forgot Muddy Mole. Definitely a top contender, especially considering Sakurai's respect for Miyamoto.

PokéKong;35481584 said:
It seems logical to do for Advance Wars what SSB did for Fire Emblem, though they just have to get over the hurdle that it's not as much of a character-based game. Giving more attention to nearly dead franchises such as F-Zero couldn't hurt either.

How about Shin Onigashima?
Don't know anything about it, but I just remember seeing these characters and thinking they seem fun.
gal_ms-t10.jpg

Likewise to every single Custom Robo trophy, though that's not as "retro". And I'm pretty surprised Doshin The Giant didn't at least get an Assist Trophy. I'd go nuts if there was anything Cubivore related, but again that's more Assist Trophy territory.

Any of those characters would be pretty awesome. You're right about Doshin, he seems perfect for an assist trophy. He could pick up players, or simply walk around with his hands as a movable platform, or even raise up a mountain, etc.

Stevenson's design was based on Yokoi if I remember right so it would be cool if they brought him back. Not sure about making an adventure game though. The first game was just such a weird idea that they have to build on that.

Yeah, Gumshoe's a tricky one. I guess I was riffing off the FBI connection. I think they'd have to re-imagine the gameplay somehow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom