• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
So bkilian just confirmed that the entire VSP = 4x CU is fake and that it means what any logical person though (identical to GCN1.0). Fun times.

I guess theres some hope for a spec bump within GCN1.0 though.

Yeah, the whole VSP premise that that Marc guy was talking about did sound a bit unrealistic..

However, BKillian himself have said in other threads that he does not know the whole picture of Durango either, he left MS some 6 months ago or something similar.

So even though he perhaps have shot down this one (due to lack of comprehension from that Marc guy).. there still could be (most likely is) things we dont or things that the VGleaks does not show..

c0de

Yep, double the density ram is amazing, because it doesn't require you actually redesign anything.

Oh, I forgot you already said this a thousand times before and I forgot that we were talking about differences in dev-kits and final hardware and that some people can't stay at topic. My fault.

My crappy attempt hastily thrown together in a few minutes...

2days.png

believe.png

iMax

So bkilian just confirmed that the entire VSP = 4x CU is fake and that it means what any logical person though (identical to GCN1.0). Fun times.

Nothing is confirmed, actually.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Yep, double the density ram is amazing, because it doesn't require you actually redesign anything.

There actually really isn't. not when you take into account the bandwidth as well, they need to simulate 200GB/s ~ .

I've heard about moving goalposts butI think I've seen it all now :[

What are you trying to say?.

devkits are always more powerful then the final machine. They have to use off the shelf parts at first after all.

The PS4 most likely contained a 7970 as well, so PS4 can forget about 1.8TF amirite?

only the very early ones.

Usually over time there a several iterations that get closer to final hardware - until a few month before launch they get the final hardware in devkit form.

Before the sony event the reason no one knew about 8gb was that they all had 4gb kits - and those had already been upgraded from 2gb.

It is entirely possible the leaks we have are from an early version of the kit.

Yeah, the whole VSP premise that that Marc guy was talking about did sound a bit unrealistic..

However, BKillian himself have said in other threads that he does not know the whole picture of Durango either, he left MS some 6 months ago or something similar.

So even though he perhaps have shot down this one (due to lack of comprehension from that Marc guy).. there still could be (most likely is) things we dont or things that the VGleaks does not show..
BKillian said he left MS 6 months ago at late 2012 i think?so maybe he left MS 1 year right now?

Klocker

Well I trust bkillian, someone who actually worked on the machine over any leaks.

He worked in engineering sound to help design the audio chip and has said that he was separated from much of the rest of the teams. Don't know if it was a "machine" yet. Just a chip in theory as a part of the whole

TheKayle

Banned
like most of us hoping in a spec bumb Kidbeta is hoping in a underpowered console ...nothing of weird..

but no i really dont think he know something

Prediction: Microsoft isn't going to go the anti-consumer route that's been rumored. The nextbox will be as dev-friendly as the PS4. The key difference will be that Microsoft will also be heavily targeting casuals, unlike Sony who is focusing squarely on core gamers. I expect a lot of talk about motion controls and media hub features.

Basically, I think MS wants both the 360 owners and the Wii owners to jump on board. They might just be able to do it. I imagine a Wii Sports with realistic graphics and sound and enhanced controls would be appealing to many casuals.

That said, the console-war-loving side of me wants to see Microsoft bomb hard.

Welcome to 2010 - it's called Kinect.

KidBeta

only the very early ones.

Usually over time there a several iterations that get closer to final hardware - until a few month before launch they get the final hardware in devkit form.

Before the sony event the reason no one knew about 8gb was that they all had 4gb kits - and those had already been upgraded from 2gb.

It is entirely possible the leaks we have are from an early version of the kit.

The leaks (are supposedly) from white papers detailing the final architecture. Maybe its changed I guess, maybe not we will see.

so basically it is confirmed as underpowered?

so he works on it and wants to set expectations? sadly that will kill it for me. I'm not buying a weak system that my pc and the ps4 outpower so easily.

well that's a shame, I've been a big fan of the Xboxes.

MCD

I'll state what I did pages ago. If MS' specs are different from the leak, it was something MS decided back in early 2012 not February 20th of 2013. Anyone who thinks MS saw Sony's press conference was like "herpa derpa, chance the system specs!" is...well delusional.

You won't get that, Vapor Mg is incredibly expensive and not the most efficient of processes in terms of shaping.

You'll get...ABS plastic with some nice texturing. It's hella cheap and the manufacturing process is ridiculously simple, which by extension means replacement parts are cheap and easy to manufacture.

I was genuinely surprised to see the Dual Shock 4 having a rubber like texture on the back. I thought only third party controllers actually gives a fuck about that.

Nice move by Sony.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Every hardcore gamer are now holding their breath in regards to 1.2tf / 12CUs being true or not.

if it is true, we'll only hear about it through leaks. Even Sony didn't state in their presentation how many CUs or TFs they have. If MS is lower they certainly won't. They'll just go 'advanced GPU blah blah, compute shaders blah blah, 8 core CPU, 8GB RAM, esram high bandwidth'

and thats at most.

just like they won't talk about always on DRM or no used games.

TheKayle

Banned
from what i know bkillian worked as audio engineer or somethng
and he said just that the audio block (Shape) ..to emulate it ..ps4 should use MORE than all the cpu
he and intereference just confirmed this...nothing about gpu

this from (((inteference))) on b3d

"The SHAPE audio block alone is more than 100GF (though it can't really be counted that way since it's not general purpose FLOPS). The alpha kits had an extra 8 CPU cores to emulate the sound block but even that wasn't enough processing power so they never implemented the emulation
That's also where some early rumours of Durango having a 16 core CPU came from.

I don't think the PS4 has similarly capable fixed function audio hardware, so this helps compensate for the extra CPU core that's reserved on Durango."

Nothing is confirmed.

He didn't destroy anything.

This kind of Tales From My Ass peddling as fact from Juniors should be bannable.

To reiterate: The reveal is in 2 days, stop talking about spec rumors.

I really hope not. If ms go with those leaked specs I think they're going to struggle to get gamers interested.

Well I trust bkillian, someone who actually worked on the machine over any leaks.

He worked on the audio processor of the console. That doesn't mean he can't know more, but we have to keep in mind what precisely his specific role in the project was.

But that's impossible since underpowered xboxes would not be able to do that

I pray this is sarcasm, because there will be great looking games that I enjoy on even the Wii-U, and no way in hell that's going to be stronger than the next xbox. Did people suddenly not like the Persona titles because they were on the PS2? I'm not saying specs don't matter. They are important, but they aren't the be all end all. There can still easily be amazing looking and fantastic playing games on the rumored new Xbox specs that we've seen put out by vgleaks. I think people totally have the wrong idea of what's more important here. It damn sure isn't the specs. It's the games. If developers can't produce fantastic games that look and play great on those specs, if those specs turn out to be accurate, then I would blame the developers, not the hardware.

Dem feels.

Yes!

Right in the feels. Played it for a friend and the bit with
Kaim's daughter dying
had him an emotional wreck. He brought it home to his totally uninterested girlfriend and after one single "1000 years of dreams" she was all over it.

I think we're going to see a sequel on the Next Xbox.

...from over a year ago.

Well, here's 360's leaked specs from over a year before launch

Not saying the leaked specs are what you're going to get. But from a logical and manufacturing standpoint I'd say there's a 65% chance it's not going to deviate from the leaked specs much. If the Xbox does have different specs, it was something MS decided shortly after leaked specs were documented and detailed. I can say with certainty that any decisions to go in a different direction with hardware wasn't made in February of 2013.

Really I think if all of gaming GAF took a crash course on hardware manufacturing, die fabrication, yield testing, process shrinking timelines in how they factor in the development stage, as well as the basics of hardware (memory controller and how it affects processors, latency, etc). I'd say GAF conversations would be much healthier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom