• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting post someone made on B3D:

"If I were MS the goal for me would be to make the console weaker than the PS4. The weaker it is, as long as it is well designed, the more pricing flexibility I should have. The key is balance. If it is obvious to average consumers that it is weaker, then it can negatively affect sales. If it is weaker but it is difficult for consumers to tell, you now have the advantage because of pricing flexibility. "

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1736009&postcount=3079

It makes sense really.
That's what Errare is saying and now I am starting to have my doubts that MS new console is going to be more powerful (specs wise) than SONY's

0xCA2

Ld0XMpi.png

PS. Cool post history bro.

this tickled me

We get it, the Next Xbox sucks and the PS4 is the best. You don't have to remind us, KAL.

KAL2006

Banned
PS. Cool post history bro.

Yep its obvious I am not excited for Durango, but I'll keep quiet now. And I am not a Sony fan, I actually jump to which ever console that appeals to me. I went from, SNES to PS1 to PS2 to 360 to PS3. So far I have doubts for Durango and PS4 is looking great but you never know anything can happen. I think a big megaton MS can have up its sleeve is improbve Gold sub. At the moment I think its a rip, but imagine if the Durango Gold sub includes free games like PSN+, free movies and other great features, that could be the real megaton.

This thread is almost at 1 million views.

how many did the equivalent ps4 event thread have?

of course there are variables, such as how long each thread was up...

somebody said a while ago this had half the posts of the ps4 event thread, but that's posts not views and a while ago.

Majanew

Banned
Yep its obvious I am not excited for Durango, but I'll keep quiet now. And I am not a Sony fan, I actually jump to which ever console that appeals to me. I went from, SNES to PS1 to PS2 to 360 to PS3. So far I have doubts for Durango and PS4 is looking great but you never know anything can happen. I think a big megaton MS can have up its sleeve is improbve Gold sub. At the moment I think its a rip, but imagine if the Durango Gold sub includes free games like PSN+, free movies and other great features, that could be the real megaton.

Another megaton would be MS taking your games away from PS4. :p

stryke

But guys, we already had a hands-on on the Jimmy Fallon Show, that counts right??!! Guys?

Seriously though, that is a great move. I'm looking forward to reading some of the impressions. Give them a small taste now and leave them salivating for E3.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Honestly though, you can drop the concern troll act.

If hands on is true it's a game changer. That should give the media plenty to talk about for the weeks running up to E3.

Compare and contrast to the PS4 reveal-that-never-was and the mainstream media were generally disinterested and had very little to report on or actually show at all. The BBC News report on it spent longer talking about what Sony didn't show than what they actually did.

2 days.

PS Unclaimed avatars;

cyberbox.png
buggsbox.png
majornelson2.png

El-Suave

Interesting post someone made on B3D:

"If I were MS the goal for me would be to make the console weaker than the PS4. The weaker it is, as long as it is well designed, the more pricing flexibility I should have. The key is balance. If it is obvious to average consumers that it is weaker, then it can negatively affect sales. If it is weaker but it is difficult for consumers to tell, you now have the advantage because of pricing flexibility. "

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1736009&postcount=3079

It makes sense really.

Only for the markets where you're strong already. Here in Germany 360 has always been relatively cheap compared to th US. They've tried a lot with pricing and bundles and nothing really mattered. Pricing flexibility only matters if there is demand in the first place. That demand needs to be created first, and there a desireable piece of hardware helps.

somebody said a while ago this had half the posts of the ps4 event thread, but that's posts not views and a while ago.

PS4 thread was around page 300 but had way more views obviously. Probably 1.8 million or something and by the end it was at 2 million.

If hands on is true it's a game changer. That should give the media plenty to talk about for the weeks running up to E3.

Pretty sure the latest pach-attack had an Xbox reveal advert at the end in which Geoff said he'd be going hands on with it...

wizzbang

Banned
I am probably too late, but why does it not have a tilt motor? Because it is built into the console!! xD

I can't tell if you're joking, because of the rumours it'll come standard with all consoles?
It will definitely not be built into the console, not a hope in hell - some people have cupboards / cases / racks / spots for their console where that simply isn't an option.

As for the tilt motor? Wild guess - it's due to price, the new unit has a higher FOV therefore tilt motor less likely required too. If they ship one with every console, a motor which could break / more moving parts? No way

ASSUMING your gif is correct there, I personally have no idea - but that's my guess based on the info.

Pistolero

Since we are talking about out there theories, here is a post from B3D that caught my attention :

Yeah, I think a dual APU is the only spec bump possible, outside of a small clock numb, but extremely improbable.

One thing sweetvar mentioned in his leak last year was that AMD employees referred to the Xbox as like a super computer. Perhaps that was a reference to scalability, if designed from the beginning perhaps Durango has provisions that would allow this type of scaling with mutilple APUs. Perhaps with the rumors that the games are running in a VM and no direct hardware access, it's possible to make the system look like one giant APU to the developer. Down the road, the two APUs can be merged into one after a node shrink or two.

I think the biggest hurdle to getting something like this working would be the independent pools of ESRAM, ideally you would want that memory to be shared.

Sorry just some crazy thinking out loud, I miss the "predict next-gen hardware" thread.

Shaneus

On that note, I don't see them releasing something that's notably (not necessarily noticeably) underpowered just for the sake of cutting costs. If MS need to save money on it in the future, no doubt development on the electronics will allow for more efficient, smaller, cheaper components. I don't think it took MS that long to improve the 360 (prior to the Slim)... but I don't know if that was for cost saving or other reasons.

I find it interesting when people assume that Sony will be offering free online play and "free" games through PS+ on the PS4. I'd say that Sony's silence regarding the former speaks volumes, and I can't imagine them giving away their launch games so soon after they release. Though it's always a possibility, I suppose.

Doffen

It is just a few thousand posts away. Not hard to reach.

Just realised that I can watch this on Tuesday after I come back from work. Not really hyped for it but a new console reveal is always interesting. At the moment PS4 seems to be the console I am going to get so this is gonna be more like a reassurance watch, so the conference will be like this for me

Kinect, check
Gold sub, check
Weaker than PS4, check
Cod Ghosts, nice gonna play that on PS4

You know, I'm strangely fine with you not becoming a part of the Xbox community. Just have fun with those games, on whichever platform you choose.

bidguy

Banned
I find it interesting when people assume that Sony will be offering free online play and "free" games through PS+ on the PS4. I'd say that Sony's silence regarding the former speaks volumes, and I can't imagine them giving away their launch games so soon after they release. Though it's always a possibility, I suppose.

yeah, its stupid to think that sony would continue ps+ with the ps4. i think its going to stay with the ps3 and launch later on ps4.
there were some rumors about a tier system on psn. probably online play behind a paywall.

Only for the markets where you're strong already. Here in Germany 360 has always been relatively cheap compared to th US. They've tried a lot with pricing and bundles and nothing really mattered. Pricing flexibility only matters if there is demand in the first place. That demand needs to be created first, and there a desireable piece of hardware helps.
But specs is not the only thing that makes a desirable piece of hardware, in fact, marketing specs would be a waste of time since regular people won't care and won't understand if the console is 1.2 TeraFlops or 1.8, a desirable piece of hardware comes from a good selection of enticing games and an atractive and affordable price.
Making the next MS console more powerful that its competitor won't catapult it to 1st place in Germany, offering service parity which what the console offers in USA will help more in Germany than just specs.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
On that note, I don't see them releasing something that's notably (not necessarily noticeably) underpowered just for the sake of cutting costs. If MS need to save money on it in the future, no doubt development on the electronics will allow for more efficient, smaller, cheaper components. I don't think it took MS that long to improve the 360 (prior to the Slim)... but I don't know if that was for cost saving or other reasons.
Shaneus, Let's get realistic here.

When Lucid are onstage presenting PGR5 and we're all losing our shit any spec talk will be just a distant memory.

Bring on the games.

No this thread is ahead in posts but quite some margin but has half the views.

This is the second thread though, first one was locked thanks to an invasion of console warriors.

When Lucid are onstage presenting PGR5 and we're all losing our shit any spec talk will be just a distant memory.

Bring on the games.

I lose my shit just reading this.

That's what Errare is saying and now I am starting to have my doubts that MS new console is going to be more powerful (specs wise) than SONY's

It has basically been confirmed for months now that the Xbox is going to be somewhere around 1.2 teraflops, while the PS4 is around 1.8. Changes at this point are very unlikely.

With that said, it's still going to produce some very attractive games, and to the average consumer the difference won't be important.

EvB

With all the talk about subsidised consoles being offered by 3rd parties, I expect their to be incremental spec updates that take place every 2 or so years.

1) It gives the cable companies/ISPs something to offer users each time their contract expires.

2) It means that they do an increase in spec, but without dropping the price, keeping margins really high and retaining the value of a subsidised console and keeping the price premium.

3) It will put Sony into a tricky place if they haven't put measures in place that allow them to do the same, as the Xbox will overtake in the power department before the generation has even started to hit it's stride.

Looking at how Apple have managed to do this with their hardware and how Microsoft are offering subcription based purchases for the office suite, I really see this happening. Of course, it won't be mentioned next week.

KAL2006

Banned
Another megaton would be MS taking your games away from PS4. :p

True they will get exclusive 3rdparty games, but if they do that they will be in the same situation again like this gen. Exclusive from 3rd parties like Oblivion, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Ninja Gaiden 2 and etc. But after a while you find out they are timed exclusives or the sequel to that IP ends up multiplatform. So in the end MS rely on 3rd party exclusives to get people to buy their system, and in the end you find out they are not fully exclusive but you already bought thier system, and now you are left with MS's limited first party output. So just to stay on topic for this event, hopefully MS have a lot of internal first party studios announcing games for Durango instead of 3rd party deals, and hopefully MS grow their internal studio output like Sony have.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
True they will get exclusive 3rdparty games, but if they do that they will be in the same situation again like this gen. Exclusive from 3rd parties like Oblivion, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Ninja Gaiden 2 and etc. But after a while you find out they are timed exclusives or the sequel to that IP ends up multiplatform. So in the end MS rely on 3rd party exclusives to get people to buy their system, and in the end you find out they are not fully exclusive but you already bought thier system, and now you are left with MS's limited first party output. So just to stay on topic for this event, hopefully MS have a lot of internal first party studios announcing games for Durango instead of 3rd party deals, and hopefully MS grow their internal studio output like Sony have.

Yes because when games go multiplatform they turn to dust in your hands. I can never enjoy Red Dead Redemption again.

KAL2006

Banned
Yes because when games go multiplatform they turn to dust in your hands. I can never enjoy Red Dead Redemption again.

It's about which platform irs worth it, if a platform has Red Dead and a ton of exclusives thats great, if a platform has Red Dead timed exclusive and a few exclusive, I would prefer the former.

Shaneus

Bring on the games.
The talk is merely something I do to eat away time until Wednesday morning (I think it's Wed. morning... 3am or some shit). That's when MS announce they're changing the name of "gamerpoints" to Kudos.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's about which platform irs worth it, if a platform has Red Dead and a ton of exclusives thats great, if a platform has Red Dead timed exclusive and a few exclusive, I would prefer the former.

360 has loads of great exclusives though. And most of the best multiplatform ports.

wizzbang

Banned
This ongoing specification discussion is kind of irrelivant for the most part isn't it?

For the most part, due to rising development costs, most games I would expect to be multiplatform, so whatever the weakest machine is, it'll likely hold back the other port of the game on the stronger machine (at least somewhat)

I recall all this shit 8 years ago re: 360 vs PS3 and it ended up the 360 had an easier to code CPU which was slightly slower and the PS3 had a bit faster CPU but ridiculously hard to code for. The GPU on the 360, I always read was a superior piece of hardware.
Before anyone freaks out - look at how it ended up? Best of the best 360 games looked pretty damn good, best of the best PS3 games looked pretty damn good.

I'm FAR more concerned with more significant things - what is the new controller design?
Can people swap in their own hard disks? I'm SICK of HDD performance - SSD or bust, I don't care how much it costs, I'm putting one in my PS3 in a week or so and I intend to put one in my PS4 if I get one.
What about features like remotely turning on? Remotely initiating downloading of games (like the Google play store for Android)
Will the device come with a second video output for no apparent reason (And end up powering illumiroom?)
How quiet is it, how much does it cost, does it still have optical audio out, will it support 3D or 4k (video, not games) does it have HDMI 1.4 or 1.3? etc etc
These things interest me far more than a CPU and GPU - as long as they are 'close enough'

stryke

The talk is merely something I do to eat away time until Wednesday morning (I think it's Wed. morning... 3am or some shit). That's when MS announce they're changing the name of "gamerpoints" to Kudos.

Yep. Still contemplating whether to stay up or not. My registrar's not gonna be happy to see me turning up to work sleepy lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom